No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Yeah I love the African warlord idea for a villain but not a fan of it for Blofeld. I guess on paper it's no less of a radical change than turning him into Oberhauser but Waltz still had the spirit of the original character, the scheming European supervillain with agents all over the world focused on different criminal enterprises. An African warlord makes more sense as a one off independant villain rather than the head of SPECTRE imo (although again I guess you could say the same about Bond's jealous foster brother).
    I think both the female Blofeld and the African warlord Blofeld could have worked, and don't believe any of these two ideas are inherently bad. What's bad is that they (producers + writers + even Mendes) had no vision. They didn't say "we have a great idea for a 21st century Blofeld, let's bring this big baddie back!", they said "let's bring Blofeld back whether we can come up with any good idea how to update him or not".
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    15 months after the release of Skyfall they still had no idea whether Blofeld should be a black South African who is completely unrelated to Bond, Bond's white foster-brother, or an "ugly lesbian".
    What? I didn't know about this. I'm intrigued now. Could have been far more interesting than the insipid tripe we got imho.
    As far as I know, the "ugly lesbian" thing wasn't applicant to Blofeld. I remember reading a message or two about the suggestion of a female Blofeld but that was shut down immediately and both parties classed it as lazy. However, that aforementioned moniker could refer to Irma Bunt, which was in one of P&W's drafts.
    Oh, thanks. I think they should have included her and dumped Hinx. It would have added a little old school eccentricity and flavour to the proceedings (especially if that was the internal description for her in the script).
    Hinx was still there in every P&W draft. But, in John Logan's efforts, there was a rogue CIA agent called Charlotte who pretty much filled in the space for Hinx who later replaced her. She wasn't depicted as a henchwoman but rather a femme fatale who engaged with Bond in a ski parkour (an idea that was jettisoned because Craig can't ski, accordingly).
    Wow. I love that idea. Far more interesting than the formulaic Hinx. What a shame. Perhaps they can follow up on this idea in the future, with an actor who can ski.
    Agreed. There are many ideas in John Logan's efforts that I liked, personally. The P&W script dialed everything back down to safe zone while Logan took many liberties. I actually am interested in reading one of Logan's drafts. All I know of his version are what appear in those leaked notes.
    Certainly some of the ideas that have been mentioned here are quite intriguing. Not open to the female Blofeld but other ideas seem very interesting and would have added some life to the film.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Logan's draft felt like pure fan fiction. A big reason for why many people find some of the elements appealing is merely because it is vastly different from what we got. Given where Logan's draft stood prior the the P&W rewrite, it isn't a stretch to say they really saved the film from near destruction. Regardless of what many think of SP, I firmly believe that some of Logan's ideas would have seriously put the franchise in jeapordy. Seriously, Tanner commuting suicide in front of Bond's eyes, Blofeld an African Warlord?? Come on.
    I don't know about anybody else but... I would have rather had him as an African Warlord than the family melodrama that was straight out of a telenovela or some cheesy Indian folklore. I do hope however by being an African Warlord, he wouldn't have been an overglorified Obanno.
    The warlord idea could have added grit, and I'm open to it but not for Blofeld. They can perhaps draw on this for a new villain in the future.
    Agreed. Like I said, I'd like to read one of Logan's drafts in order to, at least, get an idea of where he was going or what he was doing. See what he did with the ink and paper. Not just summarized notes about it.

I would still like to see Bond in a ski parkour chase sometime. I feel like that is going to be used in near future.
    Bond and skiing or aerial stunts go hand in hand. They practically wrote the book on it and it's high time they went back there and showed everyone how it's done.

I just watched Cliffhanger yesterday and for a 1993 film there are some wonderful sequences there, including what was for the time the most expensive aerial stunt (the heist in mid-air which Stallone apparently co-funded out of his own pocket due to insurance concerns). Time to step it up.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2017 Posts: 45,489

Agreed. Like I said, I'd like to read one of Logan's drafts

Please don t ! It might be catching.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I think both the female Blofeld and the African warlord Blofeld could have worked, and don't believe any of these two ideas are inherently bad. What's bad is that they (producers + writers + even Mendes) had no vision. They didn't say "we have a great idea for a 21st century Blofeld, let's bring this big baddie back!", they said "let's bring Blofeld back whether we can come up with any good idea how to update him or not".
    That's exactly what they did and it's precisely why he felt like a very weak and underdeveloped villain in Spectre despite being played by a great actor. It's like they threw in the foster brother angle (which, to this day, still baffles me as to why) and just merged the Charles Gray and Donald Pleasance Blofelds together. I can't fault P&W for that, though. In their earlier scripts, Blofeld (under the moniker Heinrich Stockmann) was better written as some sort of a disabled man with breathing problems. I'm not even sure if Stockmann was intended to be Blofeld. But, that October 8 script had great ideas. It should've been used for the final film rather than the later efforts.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these moves slots (and it will probably be WW or Bond).

I'm actually surprised WW has a December release especially considering how well it did over the Summer. In any case, the film proved a financial success and slaughtered the domestic box office, doing numbers no Bond film has done and being the highest domestic grossing film in the DCEU. Star Wars is Star Wars, it's not moving come hell or high water. Bond won't move, Autumn release is it's comfort zone but it's the movie with the most to lose BO wise which isn't to say it'll do badly but with the current line up of releases It's going to take a hit.
    doubleoego wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these moves slots (and it will probably be WW or Bond).

I'm actually surprised WW has a December release especially considering how well it did over the Summer. In any case, the film proved a financial success and slaughtered the domestic box office, doing numbers no Bond film has done and being the highest domestic grossing film in the DCEU. Star Wars is Star Wars, it's not moving come hell or high water. Bond won't move, Autumn release is it's comfort zone but it's the movie with the most to lose BO wise which isn't to say it'll do badly but with the current line up of releases It's going to take a hit.
    Yes, it's interesting. WW is the one outside its traditional slot and with the most to lose since it currently premiers one week before SW. I think Warner will move it. I wonder (no pun intended) if they take it forward and closer to Bond. It's going to be an interesting game of chess.
    What about Idris Elba as an African Warlord? Blofeld I have no doubt will feature in someway in Bond 25? It is just how? Obviously I deduce that he would be pulling all the strings overall, but would have very little screen time.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Logan's draft felt like pure fan fiction. A big reason for why many people find some of the elements appealing is merely because it is vastly different from what we got. Given where Logan's draft stood prior the the P&W rewrite, it isn't a stretch to say they really saved the film from near destruction. Regardless of what many think of SP, I firmly believe that some of Logan's ideas would have seriously put the franchise in jeopardy. Seriously, Tanner commuting suicide in front of Bond's eyes, Blofeld an African Warlord?? Come on.

I usually agree with you Jake but I have to say I prefer these events over what SP tried to pull.

Those things could have worked, and it would have taken balls. But instead, SP decided to play it too safe by copying taking inspiration from the Connery/Lazenby Blofelds.

I agree with Panchito with the fact that the producers put Blofeld & Spectre before the script itself. And it's really shocking they would do that considering Craig and Babs don't seem like the type to do that.
    They blew it with Blofeld but it is what it is. Frankly EON haven't come up with that much which is original since the late 60s. What Cubby was very good at was recycling the same product with a few tweaks. Bit like a new edition of a popular car model.

Tbh nothing has fundamentally changed - EON is basically as risk averse as it's ever been.

Yes casting Craig was seen as a bold move but frankly he was the kind of actor series had been crying out for. When he was announced I felt for the first time in a long while that EON were actually making sensible decisions again.

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

I guess we will just have to see what happens what if star wars gets bad reviews there is alot to consider bond could and can make alot from china if it wants only bond can control its self not what other franchises do I would at the very least bump the world release in early October give it a month to tale over the world get a month out of the us and china in November and rest of markets in the beginning of Dec they did only set the u s release date on November 8 not anyone else's or the world premiere so there can be some tinkering around to be done from now until the fall of 2019
    They better step up their game big time, theyll have to do something going up against Star Wars & WW 2
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    They better step up their game big time, theyll have to do something going up against Star Wars & WW 2

All the more reason for them to knock it out of the park this time.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Craig was doing the charity thing in NY and unfortunately couldn't make it to the Toronto premiere of Kings. So no questiom could be asked.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Barbara Broccoli on Bond

Craig was doing the charity thing in NY and unfortunately couldn't make it to the Toronto premiere of Kings. So no questiom could be asked.

what about Barbara?

Somebody talked.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    007Blofeld wrote: »

what about Barbara?
    I wasn't at Barbara's premiere.
    Barbara Broccoli on Bond

007Blofeld wrote: »

what about Barbara?

@jake24 @QuantumOrganization um never mind there she is :)) wow that's the first in a while I heard hear filmed speech a reporter question since spectre was out
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I can hear the LTK style excuses being prepped already
  • Tuck91 wrote: »

I think James Bond has a headstart over WW 2 here. Internationally Bond 25 has a better chance than WW 2. Suffice it to say, but WW actually didn't do so well as previously anticipated, whereas SP was close to gain almost $700 Million internationally excluding North America. Overall WW was not able to pass $900 Million, which is very much in line with other single character superhero movies these days. Same goes for the new Spiderman. Globally at least there's a slight superhero fatigue kicking in.

Also, anticipation for Bond 25 will be higher than for WW 2. Simply because it'll be Craig's last. And my gut tells me that film will be marketed as such.

I'm not worried at all for Bond 25.
  • Barbara Broccoli on Bond

Despite some of my criticism as of late, Barbara is still uttermost charming. She comes across as someone who loves answering these, really, banal and simple and repetitive questions. Always takes the time for the fan's and very approachable.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2017 Posts: 11,139

I think James Bond has a headstart over WW 2 here. Internationally Bond 25 has a better chance than WW 2. Suffice it to say, but WW actually didn't do so well as previously anticipated, whereas SP was close to gain almost $700 Million internationally excluding North America.

You don't know what you're on about, mate. WW didn't do as well as anticipated?? The film broke records and EVERY expectation. WW was in fact an unprecedented hit. There's no two ways about it. It grossed more money than the novelty of batman and superman appearing on film for the fitst time ever, was a ctitical hit, came off from a string of DCEU critical flops, was directed by a woman and the film in and of itself is a female-led film that made over $800Million. Like I said you don't know what you're on about.
    Overall WW was not able to pass $900 Million, which is very much in line with other single character superhero movies these days. Same goes for the new Spiderman. Globally at least there's a slight superhero fatigue kicking in.

And now you're just making crap up. No DCEU film has made over $900Million. Outside of Marvel's Avengers films it's only Iron Man 3 and Civil War that has crossed a $Billion; and spider-man homecoming as the MCU's first solo soidey movie making over $800Million, makes it the 2nd highest grossing spider-man film made after being the 6th spidey film and the second reboot in 5 years...majes it a resounding success...and you honestly think what you said actually makes sense? Don't be silly or intellectually dishonest about this. As for Superhero fatigue, it's an unsubstantiated myth that's been touted by those who know nothing for tge better part of a decade and has never EVER been proven; and evidence only confirms the contrary. You can champion Bond 25 till the cows come home as much as you like but when you resort to spewing a load of bs it only reaffirms my first sentence of this post and that you have absolutely zero argument here.
    Also, anticipation for Bond 25 will be higher than for WW 2. Simply because it'll be Craig's last. And my gut tells me that film will be marketed as such.

Anecdotal opinions don't mean much. I can easily say I know plenty of people or seen online/social media people not caring or showing an indifference to Craig and Bond in general. It doesn't mean I think Bond 25 won't do well.

That's your prerogative. Bond 25 will do well like all Bind movies ordinarilly do but you're dreaming if you think It's going to cross a $Billion/SF numbers. My only concern for Bond 25 is from a creative standpoint. It'll be 4 years since SP when it's released and it'll be overwhelmingly unacceptable if they serve us up another trash entry. They had 3 years with SP and the less said about that movie the better.

I think James Bond has a headstart over WW 2 here. Internationally Bond 25 has a better chance than WW 2. Suffice it to say, but WW actually didn't do so well as previously anticipated, whereas SP was close to gain almost $700 Million internationally excluding North America.

You don't know what you're on about, mate. WW didn't do as well as anticipated?? The film broke records and EVERY expectation. WW was in fact an unprecedented hit. There's no two ways about it. It grossed more money than the novelty of batman and superman appearing on film for the fitst time ever, was a ctitical hit, came off from a string of DCEU critical flops, was directed by a woman and the film in and of itself is a female-led film that made over $800Million. Like I said you don't know what you're on about.
    Overall WW was not able to pass $900 Million, which is very much in line with other single character superhero movies these days. Same goes for the new Spiderman. Globally at least there's a slight superhero fatigue kicking in.

And now you're just making crap up. No DCEU film has made over $900Million. Outside of Marvel's Avengers films it's only Iron Man 3 and Civil War that has crossed a $Billion; and spider-man homecoming as the MCU's first solo soidey movie making over $800Million, makes it the 2nd highest grossing spider-man film made after being the 6th spidey film and the second reboot in 5 years...majes it a resounding success...and you honestly think what you said actually makes sense? Don't be silly or intellectually dishonest about this. As for Superhero fatigue, it's an unsubstantiated myth that's been touted by those who know nothing for tge better part of a decade and has never EVER been proven; and evidence only confirms the contrary. You can champion Bond 25 till the cows come home as much as you like but when you resort to spewing a load of bs it only reaffirms my first sentence of this post and that you have absolutely zero argument here.

Anecdotal opinions don't mean much. I can easily say I know plenty of people or seen online/social media people not caring or showing an indifference to Craig and Bond in general. It doesn't mean I think Bond 25 won't do well.

That's your prerogative. Bond 25 will do well like all Bind movies ordinarilly do but you're dreaming if you think It's going to cross a $Billion/SF numbers. My only concern for Bond 25 is from a creative standpoint. It'll be 4 years since SP when it's released and it'll be overwhelmingly unacceptable if they serve us up another trash entry. They had 3 years with SP and the less said about that movie the better.

You tell him! LMAO
  • peterpeter Toronto
    was that the big news, @QuantumOrganization ? I swore you said an announcement would be made about distributor and a two pic deal... Quite adamant about that, I'm sure.
    I wonder if @QuantumOrganization still believes they are going to film two movies back-to-back...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think @QuantumOrganization is thinking back-to-back-to-back trilogy... DC's totally up for it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Don't ask me how I know, I just do. B25 and B26 will be filmed back-to-back. Trust me I just know.
    @doubleoego, I'm with you. Moreover, I believe anticipation will be far greater for WW2 than for B25, at least based on the information we have to date.

As I said, the film will do very well, but on an inflation adjusted ticket sales basis, I'm quite sure it will fall short of SF/SP and come in above CR globally. The general public doesn't give two hoots if this is Craig's last or not. I can't believe people think they will. That was the shtick that was pulled during SP's rollout too so it's tired.

Wonder Woman 2 has to move its date though. It will get decimated by SW, especially if that film is the last of 3. If I was Warner I would move it up closer to Bond in order to provide counter programming in North America, and keep the global release date where it is.
    peter wrote: »
    I think @QuantumOrganization is thinking back-to-back-to-back trilogy... DC's totally up for it.

I think @QuantumOrganization knows jack ...