No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• The_Reaper wrote: »
    I can almost guarantee this happens. Unfortunately we live in a world where Hollywood just plays it safe by repeating what worked in the past. Blofeld killed his wife in the Connery films so they gotta do it again. Why else would the Force Awaken make 2 billion dollars by simply replaying the plot of the original Star Wars if people didn't want to see it? It's pathetic and lazy but there it is.

Very true, but why don't rise out of the mud and do something original. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't been prohibited yet.
    Also, you can't compare Star Wars with just about anything. There's something really special about this franchise, which almost effortlessly brings just about all generations in the theaters with glowing eyes and a stupid grin on their faces. But nevertheless your assessment about the force awakens is completely true. Still it's humor is first class.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Blofeld killed his wife in the Connery films

He did?

Ah, well, no; duh on me. You know what I meant. It's almost like in my brain Laz was just a little subsection to the series of films that starred Sean Connery. His influence on the films was so great, his run encapsulates poor Laz. (=
    MSN has come out with the same story now as well :

James Bond to marry in new 007 movie?

James Bond reportedly gets married in the new 007 movie.

The much-anticipated new film, which will see Daniel Craig reprise the role of the iconic British agent, is set to feature a surprising plot, according to a Hollywood insider, who has claimed Bond will quit the secret service and marry the woman he loves.

The source told the New York Post newspaper's Page Six column: "Bond quits the secret service, and he's in love and gets married."

But the insider added Bond will return to the secret service after his wife is killed.

In the most-recent Bond movie, 2015's 'Spectre', Craig's love interest was played by French actress Lea Seydoux.

And as the new movie opens, the duo will already be a married couple.
    The source explained: "The film's like 'Taken' with Bond."

Craig only recently confirmed his intention to reprise the role of Bond, having previously suggested he was planning to quit the money-spinning franchise.

But when he was asked last month on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' if he would be returning to the role, the 49-year-old star replied: "Yes. I couldn't be happier.

"I've been quite cagey about it. I've been doing interviews about it all day and people have been asking me and I've been kind of coy but I kind of felt like, if I was going to speak the truth, I should speak the truth to you."

Craig admitted he "always wanted to return" to the role, but confirmed the next Bond movie will be his last.

He explained: "I think this is it. This is it. I just want to go out on a high note, and I can't wait."

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    I know P&W are hacks but surely even they are not this derivative as to just copy/paste the ending of OHMSS onto the YOLT novel are they?

There has to be a shred of originality in there for DC to have signed on again.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Definitely !!

He wouldn't lower himself to star in a film that is a total rip off .

Would he ?!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Nowadays, you just don't know what to believe.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It would be helpful (for me) if they don't go down this path. Even if this story isn't true, I'm sure this approach has been contemplated at some point, given the "We have all the time in the world" nonsense which was removed from an initial script of SP.

I realize they may want to tackle all the dramatic Fleming material during Craig's extended tenure (and 'death' is an easy way to hook in those who get a twitch from emotions), but my recommendation is not to go here.

I realize OHMSS is not considered a box office success by EON (paraphrasing Wilson), and I also can appreciate that many outside the die hard fandom likely haven't viewed the film. Having said that I don't recommend a remake.

If they truly must go down this path, then I think it's best to open the film some years down the road, and have the discussion about Madeleine's death be told in past tense (we never see it occur on screen) by someone at MI6. Then we find Bond in a distressed state and he is called back in once more for Queen and Country due to a threat which gives him an opportunity for closure. Sort of a combo SF/QoS type venture (resurrection/solace) with a bit of TDKR thrown in. I think @peter may have suggested an approach like this earlier.

Again, I don't want this, but it does provide some acting meat for Craig and would help to justify his return.
  • I want a YOLT adaptation so Madeline coming back and her dying is a must. Not a fan of them getting married at all though. Undermines Tracy's legacy as the only woman to tame Bond, and lets be honest, I think even those of us who liked SP would admit that Madeline doesn't hold a candle to her. So instantly you're comparing the two films with Bond 25 coming off worse in comparison.

The other issue is it basically means people complaining about the "I love you" line in SP were right. I've always justified it by saying Bond didn't love Madeline. She loved him because of her daddy issues, but for him she represented a way out, someone he could escape from the shadows with because she'd already spent most of her life there herself. But if they get married? It does just make their relationship seem like a half arsed, unconvincing love story.

So yeah as much as I want a YOLT adaptation I really hope this isn't true. Just kill off Madeline in a different, original way. No need for an OHMSS retread, but unfortunately I think this sounds like exactly the sort of thing they'd do. They do seem to love riffing on past icons lately.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 15,804
    Could be confusing to casual fans when the trivia question "Who was the only Bond girl 007 married?" comes up. They'd need to chose between Tracy or Swann for the correct answer.

IMO, this negatively tampers with Bond's literary and cinematic history. I loathe the concept of Bond marrying a woman other than Tracy and putting them both in the same OHMSS scenario. You might as well feed Rory's Tanner to the sharks with the note "he disagreed with something that ate him" and call it an adaptation of the LALD novel.

If one is going to recreate Bond's marriage for the Craig era, I really feel Diana Rigg's Tracy was a tough act to follow. Him marrying Swann is about as convincing as Moore's 007 marrying Stacey.
    If this were an outright remake of OHMSS with someone new cast as Tracy, I'd still be skeptical, and not exactly happy, but might prefer it to a watered down OHMSS/YOLT scenario for Craig. At least it wouldn't be mopping the floor with Tracy's Bondian legacy.
    And since when did CraigBond suddenly marry,when according to him in CR,he only goes for married women,as he said to Vesper in the car.

barryt007 wrote: »
    And since when did CraigBond suddenly marry,when according to him in CR,he only goes for married women,as he said to Vesper in the car.

Well, if he's married, then he's still going for a married woman - just she's his own.

Well he broke that rule in CR itself!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The problem is, most people have no memory, no concern, no regard for the history of the films. Only the fans will sift through the films and raise issues. Nobody I know can remember, let alone be bothered about, the Blofeld/Bond foster brother angle.

So why should it bother them if they regurgitate the story of Bond's bride being murdered? We care, nobody else does.

Film studios re-boot super hero stories every film or two now. Re-booting a film idea from 50 years ago? Big deal. Who the hell is Ian Fleming anyway?
    I'll take anything that gives us a true adaptation of YOLT
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I think it's very possible that bond 25 could have madeline get killed by blofeld and not have it be a revenge film just like diamonds are forever only 1000 times better.
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2017 Posts: 10,512
    fjdinardo wrote: »

They're never going to do a completely faithful adaptation. If they do pull on that novel for inspiration they will almost certainly take liberties with its content and how they use it.
    RC7 wrote: »

They're never going to do a completely faithful adaptation. If they do pull on that novel for inspiration they will almost certainly take liberties with its content and how they use it.

Agreed...Christophe Waltz as Blofeld in a suit of armour aint gonna happen.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,117
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    You might as well feed Rory's Tanner to the sharks

Where do I sign up for that?

I want a front row seat but happy to supply my own handcream and Kleenex.

In all seriousness though I'm like @thelivingroyale; I think circumstances will never be better to do an adaptation of YOLT but for that to happen we have to have a hackneyed killing off of Maddy which is just one big yawnfest.

What about if as part of Blofeld's trial they play the Vesper tape and it's actually Blofeld who tortures her not White and Maddy is never mentioned? Not sure it's enough to give Bond enough of a revenge motive though given he's already over Vesper but with some work the idea has possibilities and I'm always up for a cameo from Eva.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    In all seriousness though I'm like @thelivingroyale; I think circumstances will never be better to do an adaptation of YOLT but for that to happen we have to have a hackneyed killing off of Maddy which is just one big yawnfest.

What about if as part of Blofeld's trial they play the Vesper tape and it's actually Blofeld who tortures her not White and Maddy is never mentioned? Not sure it's enough to give Bond enough of a revenge motive though given he's already over Vesper but with some work the idea has possibilities and I'm always up for a cameo from Eva.

This I would go for. Craig's Bond should only have one real love story, Vesper. Madeline as a Tracy like potential wife is too much. Give that storyline to the next actor who plays Bond if you go down that road.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 2,107
    tumblr_om7op05F251vl8041o2_400.gif

I'd rather see them kill/kidnap one of his puppies, than redo the whole marriage/death of his female companion scenario.

I don't buy it, that he really loves Madeleine. Not for a second.
    DoctorNo wrote: »

This I would go for. Craig's Bond should only have one real love story, Vesper. Madeline as a Tracy like potential wife is too much. Give that storyline to the next actor who plays Bond if you go down that road.
    I agree.
    Or don't give it to anyone for BOND26,kill off the story-arc rubbish and get back to basics.

Mission based stand-alone films.

I really miss them.
    Or don't give it to anyone for BOND26,kill off the story-arc rubbish and get back to basics.

I really miss them.
    So do I, but I believe they should recast if they want to do a standalone. Close this reboot experiment off completely for the audience.
    bondjames wrote: »

I really miss them.
    So do I, but I believe they should recast if they want to do a standalone. Close this reboot experiment off completely for the audience.

Oh I agree,hence I mentioned BOND26 ;)

bondjames wrote: »

I really miss them.

Oh I agree,hence I mentioned BOND26 ;)
    Sorry, missed that. Sadly, we'll probably be at least five years older by the time that comes around.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I sincerely hope they won't go down that road - it's SO non-creative. Please come up with something based on *unused* Fleming elements (quite some stuff from MR)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'll accept anything for Bond 25, but please 1) don't kill off Madeline and 2) no more moles/double agents inside MI6.
  • re: "We have all the time in the world" line in SPECTRE scripts.

It was still there in a draft dated Dec. 1, 2014, one week before filming began. Irma Bunt was in earlier drafts but was gone by that time.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 5,767
    How about this scenario:
    Tanner kills Madeline out of jealousy, because he was deeply in love with Bond.
    Blofeld wants the credit for himself and kills Tanner.
    Bond forgets about Madeline and goes after Blofeld, because noone kills a fellow MI6 member without inciting Bond´s sense for revenge.
    M gets furious, because no MI6 agent acts without M´s strict orders without inciting M´s sense for order, so M sends out half of MI6 to hunt down Bond.
    Because half of MI6 is out looking for Bond, M has to hire helps from a subcontractor, which in turn is a door for Blofeld to sneak people of his own into MI6.
    Bond looks for help from Felix Leiter, but President Trump fired Leiter and wants to put him in jail for treason. So Leiter too is on the run. But he´s got a friend left in the CIA, whom he hooks up with Bond: Jinx.
    So we´ll get to see all: Love, death, treason, moles, system paraoia, rogue agents, revenge, and a pre-finale fight between Jinx and Hinx.
    RC7 wrote: »

Just give me Shatterhand, Japan, and the garden of death and I'll be happy