No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    They've always location scouted during development. That's part of the process with a movie like this. Plus, they will have a draft in play at this stage.
    Well, it's time to put an end to this stupid practice. And no, it's not always part of the process with a movie like this.

Location scouting can frequently inform a script and where scenes can (in actual practical and production terms) be set which is why movies have scouted locations, sometimes with no more than a treatment, since movies began. As @RC7 correctly states, it's an established part of the filmmaking process especially for big films that require exciting, sometimes remote and difficult to reach locations. Stupid practice it ain't.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    @ColonelSun This mindset is exactly what leads to the mess that was the production of Spectre. Just because movies have scouted locations sometimes with no more than a treatment since movies began, that does not mean this is the right way to make a movie. Remember, the majority of movies ever made are mediocre to awful.

Do you think Nolan will start location scouting before he has finished writing Bond 26? Of course not.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,329
    mattjoes wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I'm probably one of the few that digs the Tom Ford look. I love their suits, and I like the slim style on Craig. To me it's clean looking compared to the baggy look of the suits in CR. Then again, I've come to learn that suiting style/fit is extremely subjective.

Moreover, Daniel Craig's Bond has got rougher edges, so a slightly 'criminal' look looks better on him I think. And that's why I also don't mind a few wrinkles in the used fabrics. That's Tom Ford. Brioni is for oldies like Brosnan. And I think Jany Temime deserves a bit more credit here. Let's move on, Lindy Hemming does other movies now. So please stop this kind of nonsense:
    Spectre-Suit-Corrected-Fit-Blue-Shirt.jpg

I'm no expert on clothing, but I have to agree with Matt Spaiser's opinion on this suit. The one on the right looks better.

Isnt the point in this suit being slightly ill fitting is that its a suit blofeld has made bond wear?
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    So it's official part of bond 25 to be shot in Croatia?
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    No.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    No.

I thought the mayor confirmed it
    @ColonelSun This mindset is exactly what leads to the mess that was the production of Spectre. Just because movies have scouted locations sometimes with no more than a treatment since movies began, that does not mean this is the right way to make a movie. Remember, the majority of movies ever made are mediocre to awful.

Do you think Nolan will start location scouting before he has finished writing Bond 26? Of course not.

In my capacity as a screenwriter I've gone on several early location scouts which have proved invaluable for the scripting process, in fact I'm off to the Arab Emirates very soon for that very purpose. Nolan, for example, made trips across the channel in a small boat to Dunkirk before he wrote the screenplay.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Locations can be a major inspiration for script development. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Nolan, for example, made trips across the channel in a small boat to Dunkirk before he wrote the screenplay.
    COME ON! That wasn't location scouting. He made that trip many years ago, before he directed the Batman movies. That was the trip that inspired him to write Dunkirk.

Can you please post a link to your imdb page?
    jake24 wrote: »
    Locations can be a major inspiration for script development. I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand?
    There is a HUGE difference between checking out locations for inspiration for script development, and actual location scouting (search for places to film specific scenes). When the Spectre tram was location scouting in the sping/summer of 2014 they were making arrangements, booking places etc, even through the script was NOWHERE near finished at that point.
    Nolan, for example, made trips across the channel in a small boat to Dunkirk before he wrote the screenplay.
    COME ON! That wasn't location scouting. He made that trip many years ago, before he directed the Batman movies. That was the trip that inspired him to write Dunkirk.

Writers and directors go out on advance location trips to inform the script all the time, that's the point. Nolan does his homework and a lot of research before he writes, as do many writers and directors and producers, and that often means checking out potential locations.

Writers and directors go out on advance location trips to inform the script all the time, that's the point. Nolan does his homework and a lot of research before he writes, as do many writers and directors and producers, and that often means checking out potential locations.
    See my comment above. The Spectre team was already making arrangements, booking places, etc before they had a script that was in a good shape. If the writer wants to travel to inform the script, fine, but don't start making arrangements before you have a finished (or near finished) screenplay.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I think Arnold absolutely hit his stride with QOS. There isn't a track in either of Newman's efforts that comes close to some of my favorite tracks, "What's Keeping You Awake?", "I Never Left", "Time To Get Out".

"Los Muertos Vivos Estan" was a great SP track and completely made the opening moment of the film. Wished there was more on the actual soundtrack like it.

My favourite tracks from the SP soundtrack are:

01 - The Gunbarrel Entrance *made it myself*
    01 - Los Muertos Vivos Estan
    02 - Main Titles - Sam Smith - Writing's On The Wall
    04 - The Eternal City *lovely choir*
    07 - Backfire *great action piece*
    10 - Madeleine's Theme *top notch John Barry sound, reminiscent of Ms Octopussy*
    12 - Snow Plane *now THIS is my favourite! Always listen it when I need to work a bit harder*
    15 - Hinx
    16 - Writing's On The Wall - Instrumental
    17 - Silver Wraith *mysterious, scary, vulptuous, brought me back to Doctor No, makes you realize why Madeleine was actually scary, and Honey Rider too!*
    21 - Safe House *marvellous original track, has the lovely little cuckoo piano accords in it*
    27 - James Bond end theme *which basically for every of Craig's film is slightly different, with different instrumentation

Personally, I love the subtlety of Newman's score. Yeah I know, most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    bondbat007 wrote: »
    My question to the Arnold haters, when you listen to his TND or CR scores (which I consider his best), what do you want in those scores that you don't get?
    Freshness. The only thing Arnold can do is pastiche. As for the score of TND: it's a bad remix album. A grotesque joke.

This post is a grotesque joke. Arnold not bland or generic enough for you? Or would you want a Bond score with no Bond theme or any of the elements that make a good Bond score at all? Arnold isn't a Pastiche, He updated the Bond sound for the 21st century.
    LOL. You seriously think Arnold is not bland any generic? As for the Bond theme, it definitely should NOT be used as often as Arnold used it.

Arnold is the second best Composer since Barry. He even had John Barry's approval. His scores are anything but generic and bland. The Bond theme should be used more than it's currently been for the last for films as it's been basically non existent sans the damn end credits and that is a crime!

This really rustles my jimmies to no end. I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used. One of the most memorable themes, and EON now hardly use it.

I would dearly love to hear the 007 theme played once again.

I would settle for the Bond theme, but an action scene with the 007 theme majestically playing in the background is long overdue.

How long has it been? Since Moonraker?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,599
    I agree , Snow Plane is good action stuff but if you run a clip from the Bourne series with the sound turned down and play Snow Plane over the top, it fits very well. Therefore, it is high quality, generic stuff. There is a certain logic that says, in an increasingly competitive market, Bond needs to keep anything it has that makes it unique/distinctive and the "Barry style" is something that no other series has.
    Minion wrote: »
    My question to the Arnold haters, when you listen to his TND or CR scores (which I consider his best), what do you want in those scores that you don't get?
    Freshness. The only thing Arnold can do is pastiche. As for the score of TND: it's a bad remix album. A grotesque joke.

This post is a grotesque joke. Arnold not bland or generic enough for you? Or would you want a Bond score with no Bond theme or any of the elements that make a good Bond score at all? Arnold isn't a Pastiche, He updated the Bond sound for the 21st century.
    LOL. You seriously think Arnold is not bland any generic? As for the Bond theme, it definitely should NOT be used as often as Arnold used it.

Arnold is the second best Composer since Barry. He even had John Barry's approval. His scores are anything but generic and bland. The Bond theme should be used more than it's currently been for the last for films as it's been basically non existent sans the damn end credits and that is a crime!

This really rustles my jimmies to no end. I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used. One of the most memorable themes, and EON now hardly use it.

I would settle for the Bond theme, but an action scene with the 007 theme majestically playing in the background is long overdue.

Yep,afraid so.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    I agree , Snow Plane is good action stuff but if you run a clip from the Bourne series with the sound turned down and play Snow Plane over the top, it fits very well. Therefore, it is high quality, generic stuff. There is a certain logic that says, in an increasingly competitive market, Bond needs to keep anything it has that makes it unique/distinctive and the "Barry style" is something that no other series has.
    I'd argue that Kingsman by Henry Jackman captures the spirit of Barry far better than anything EON has come up with post-Barry. The same goes for Giacchino on The Incredibles and this year's Apes score. Bond is sadly being left in the dust in the scoring department imho.
    Tend to agree but one fan's "capturing the spirit" is another fans "Barry rip off/copy" boring retread. Its the classic Bond debate. How to move forward and inovate whilst keeping the unique "Bondness"
    patb wrote: »
    Tend to agree but one fan's "capturing the spirit" is another fans "Barry rip off/copy" boring retread. Its the classic Bond debate. How to move forward and inovate whilst keeping the unique "Bondness"
    I completely agree. Both those scores (The Incredibles and Kingsman) were deliberately referencing Barry given the nature of the shows, particularly the former (I believe Barry was asked to do it even, but declined).

That's one of the reasons I like all the one off composers and why I liked Newman's SF score - it's because I can see a new way of doing things while still bringing something Bondian to the table. They have to keep experimenting with new blood until they find a new sound imho.
  • RC7RC7

See my comment above. The Spectre team was already making arrangements, booking places, etc before they had a script that was in a good shape. If the writer wants to travel to inform the script, fine, but don't start making arrangements before you have a finished (or near finished) screenplay.

Presumably because you read the SP leaks you're now a production expert like so many on here. You have no idea how far along they are in the scripting process, nor whether they have indeed scouted any of the locations mentioned. And regardless, as @ColonelSun has reiterated this is something that happens. It's always happened. Bond's are constructed from different angles, story, set pieces, locations... they all feed back in and the jigsaw is modified. I'm presuming you'd have had Saltzman shot for ordering those elephant shoes?

If you think you have an innate grasp of directing/producing/writing, I suggest you go and make a short as you've certainly got the bravado.
    RC7 wrote: »
    nor whether they have indeed scouted any of the locations mentioned.
    Which is exactly why I wrote "either their mayor is a LIAR".

Personally, I love the subtlety of Newman's score. Yeah I know, most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often.

We are - of course - aware, that we are not worthy of your highly refined taste. Thank you for sharing it anyway.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Minion wrote: »

That's right, during the boat chase.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690

Glad to see you admitting that QOS is your favorite Bond film in the entire franchise.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,330
    Yeah I know, most Bond fans want to have all typical aspects of the Bond franchise chewn out for you, like a cheap but sweet wine. I prefer a subtle gran reserva, with more notes and tannines once you listen to it more often.

Yes because how dare the fans for wanting a great score that is timeless and memorable that has multiple uses of the Bond theme. Because the Bond theme is a cheap garbage piece of music that shouldn't be used anymore in this era of pretentious boring repetitive film scores that is the musical equivalent to water and crackers.

Why don't they remake Jaws without a shark since Shark Week is overdone like baked potatoes, Or make a Superman where Superman wear a clown suit since his costume is basically soda pop.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756
    @Gustav_Graves Pemberton is great, one of my favourites actually, I was a fan of his since his work on Little Big Planet. Loved his Steve Jobs & U.N.C.L.E. soundtrack. He would be great for Bond.

This one is also one of his best:

His work on King Arthur was also quite good:

• edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I'm not advocating another FRWL or TND with the Bond theme blaring every few seconds but I do wish Craig would get a Bond theme moment, with it playing in full force during an action scene. Every Bond should have one imo. My favourites are the TWINE bankers office escape and the Piz Gloria battle.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    I think Arnold absolutely hit his stride with QOS. There isn't a track in either of Newman's efforts that comes close to some of my favorite tracks, "What's Keeping You Awake?", "I Never Left", "Time To Get Out".

"Los Muertos Vivos Estan" was a great SP track and completely made the opening moment of the film. Wished there was more on the actual soundtrack like it.

My favourite tracks from the SP soundtrack are:

01 - The Gunbarrel Entrance *made it myself*
    01 - Los Muertos Vivos Estan
    02 - Main Titles - Sam Smith - Writing's On The Wall
    04 - The Eternal City *lovely choir*
    07 - Backfire *great action piece*
    10 - Madeleine's Theme *top notch John Barry sound, reminiscent of Ms Octopussy*
    12 - Snow Plane *now THIS is my favourite! Always listen it when I need to work a bit harder*
    15 - Hinx
    16 - Writing's On The Wall - Instrumental
    17 - Silver Wraith *mysterious, scary, vulptuous, brought me back to Doctor No, makes you realize why Madeleine was actually scary, and Honey Rider too!*
    21 - Safe House *marvellous original track, has the lovely little cuckoo piano accords in it*
    27 - James Bond end theme *which basically for every of Craig's film is slightly different, with different instrumentation

I like how you actually had a go at someone a few pages back for being a harsh wannabe critic presenting his opinion as fact (when really he was being perfectly fair and balanced) and then here you condescendingly passive aggressively say "everyone who disagrees with me is a moron". You really don't have any self awareness at all do you. Stop acting so smug and superior.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Extremely OT but does anyone know how the JV Suede Racer jacket fits or can you direct me to another thread where I can ask that question? I'm not sure if I should get a M or L.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    So i'm guessing baz never responded back to jake.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Extremely OT but does anyone know how the JV Suede Racer jacket fits or can you direct me to another thread where I can ask that question? I'm not sure if I should get a M or L.

Give this thread a shot, someone may be able to help you out:

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/10627/the-james-bond-wardrobe-style-thread
    So i'm guessing baz never responded back to jake.
    Which is rather curious. He's one of the few we can still trust with any information. His silence is telling.