No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm glad the mi6 community is back up and running I tried logging and for some reason a weird message came up and said error and site crash I was a bit worried cause I couldn't get on now looks like things are back normal I wonder what happened

So it wasnt just mine then

Nope it happened to me to like this site like crashed or something
    I'm glad the mi6 community is back up and running I tried logging and for some reason a weird message came up and said error and site crash I was a bit worried cause I couldn't get on now looks like things are back normal I wonder what happened

The site was hacked by Spectre. :)
    SF is a more nerve-wracking PTS to me ,considering Bond is trying to get the hard drive back from Patrice,its a more important PTS and just gels together better.

Oh and SF beats SP in every department ,but that may be because it is a very patriotic film for Britain so I may be bias he he .
    Going over old ground, but basically SF is still an underwhelming experience whereas SP is more entertaining! Theres been critcism over SP action, well at least it had action scenes, SF was poorly served on this front!
    I should probably watch this "Skyfall" and much maligned "Spectre" back to back one of these days. My father seemed to like this "Spectre". I liked it too. More than that Skyfall.

Haven't watched them in a while. But everybody seems to hate the latter one. Such a shame. Not the worst movie ( Bond or non-Bond) I have seen.

But I seem to be in the minority :(
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I should probably watch this "Skyfall" and much maligned "Spectre" back to back one of these days. My father seemed to like this "Spectre". I liked it too. More than that Skyfall.

Haven't watched them in a while. But everybody seems to hate the latter one. Such a shame. Not the worst movie ( Bond or non-Bond) I have seen.

Nor mine...its sitting smack bang in the middle of my rankings atm in 12th place.
  • SharkBait wrote: »

Don't worry, Sharkbait...if there's anything I've learned about the Bond fans community over the years, it's that "everybody" doesn't feel the same way about anything. There will always be fans who adamantly disagree with you, but there will always be fans who adamantly agree. It's rather comforting, I find :)
    SharkBait wrote: »

Not sure you would be in the minority!
    Its just that some of those who hate it bang on about it a lot more! It most certainly is not the worst! DAD definitely has that crown if you look at most rankings!
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I like SP, but it could've (should've) been better. It has a lot of poor decision making within it and I've been very critical of it for that.

But, I still can enjoy watching it. Like QoS and to some extent, SF, I check my expectations at the door and I can watch it happily.

Still, I hold EON accountable for product and expect better.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I dunno,I for one can at least be entertained by DAD and as bad as it is, it at least isn't boring unlike SP.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I dunno,I for one can at least be entertained by DAD and as bad as it is, it at least isn't boring unlike SP.
    Agreed. DAD has many noted flaws, but it's a fun film if one can overlook the famous nonsense.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. DAD has many noted flaws, but it's a fun film if one can overlook the famous nonsense.

It has grown on me over time,its just a great blast .
    It's up to 18th place in my rankings now even !!

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    bondjames wrote: »

"Better make that three." DAD is a blast.
  • Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I recently wrote an article in defence of Quantum of Solace, and where I think Eon can take inspiration from it for Bond 25. Thoughts are appreciated, lads:

http://lwlies.com/articles/in-defence-of-quantum-of-solace/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I recently wrote an article in defence of Quantum of Solace, and where I think Eon can take inspiration from it for Bond 25. Thoughts are appreciated, lads:

http://lwlies.com/articles/in-defence-of-quantum-of-solace/

Great stuff, and I couldn't agree more. Wonderful article. The reappraisal the film has gotten since its release nearly a decade ago is always welcoming - I've loved it since that very first night I caught it in theaters. I clearly remember walking out, sitting down and staring at the theater marque, in awe of how intense and refreshing the film felt.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Back on topic, please.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,548
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The best 5 scenes of SP:

-PTS
    -SPECTRE meeting
    -Mr. White's final moments
    -Bond meets and saves Madeleine in Austria.
    -Train fight

@FoxRox... no complaints here. But I would put the funeral scene in the top 5, instead of Mr. White's death. There are some other terrific moments in SP:

-the meeting with Q ("I told you to bring it back in one piece, not bring back one piece."
    -the mouse scene. Yes, I liked this bit, and the pouring of the beer on the floor, and Bond knocking down the wall. I love the way the room is lit, with the geometric shadows on the wall. Newman's score here is good, too.
    -And then there's this one little bit that gives me chills every time: the fifteen seconds or so when we cut from Bond and Madeleine's love scene to the overhead shot of the train going around a bend at dawn. Newman's instrumental piano of "Writing's on the Wall" is exquisite. The shot is breathtaking. And then we cut to the train pulling away, and all we see are their feet. And the piano slows and ends, and the train leaves the shot and reveals the two, standing in the middle of nowhere. It's great stuff!!!!!
    To each their own, but it's interesting some people think SF is the best PTS. Just watched it again and still find it underwhelming, especially compared with SP's.

The opening shot is great and the discovery of the bodies is top-notch, setting mood. But M asking if Bond is sure the hard drive isn't there is pointless. And the whole plot device with the list only reminds me of the first Mission: Impossible movie. I keep hearing "The NOC list is in the open!"

The following car chase is little more than bumper cars followed by a bunch of poor marksmanship with nobody being able to hit anything. The motorcycle chase is good, save for the continuity nightmare of the appearing and disappearing gloves Craig or his stunt driver have on.

Patrice is one of those characters who supposedly has an armory on his person as he continues to pull out weapons and ammo when he needs and still has room for the hard drive. Moneypenny's quips are distracting rather than amusing. Save those for Bond. It would have made her more mysterious and interesting rather than distracting. A lot of people like the steam shovel bit but the business with the straightening his cuffs reminds me of Brosnan.

Finally, I know she's in shock from hitting Bond, but Moneypenny still had time to take a shot at Patrice before he went into the tunnel. That was the objective, to stop him and recover the hard drive or at least keep him from escaping with it.

Bentley007 wrote: »

Certainly looks mean enough! But I guess we will have to wait and see like everything else?

Had the same problems too. Thankfully it has been resolved now. Just about caught up on all the threads now though.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    SF is a more nerve-wracking PTS to me ,considering Bond is trying to get the hard drive back from Patrice,its a more important PTS and just gels together better.

Oh and SF beats SP in every department ,but that may be because it is a very patriotic film for Britain so I may be bias he he .

To me it feels more realistic though than the SP PTS. The screaming on the Marketplace in Istanbul when Patrice shoots that insane gun.....that to me got my skin crawling. It's uttermost realistic, and, sadly, it fels like real terrorist attacks actually are a bit like that. Not to mention the engine sounds of that Audi A5 Coupe, when it falls on its side.

But even before, when 007 discovers Ronson.....and when you see a huge pool of blood, you start to think: God, this bloody Bond film will be deadly serious.

With SP, to me it felt that Mendes tried to hard to make it look beautiful. The actual day of the dead celebrations to me lacked a certain spontaneous improvisation. Just watch the extra's, the people.....they are dancing and walking so composed, as if Mendes just screamed: "Go!".

Also, Bond producers need to understand that they should not invest all the time and money in just the PTS. It's a good intro to what's to come, but don't turn them into standalone, over-rehearsed shorts.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I need to do a Spectre viewing tonight to refresh myself, especially with the recent talk around these parts. However it'll be nice to see when Bond Craig rides off into the sunrise with Madeline, that I know he'll be back.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 19,339
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Certainly looks mean enough! But I guess we will have to wait and see like everything else?

Had the same problems too. Thankfully it has been resolved now. Just about caught up on all the threads now though.

Now THAT is a Bond villain's vehicle - wicked !!
    And I like the rumour re the main villain being obsessed with alligator skin,and the car seat interior being covered in it.

Maybe Blofeld is not on his way back ?
    I hope not...rest him until maybe BOND 27.

Great spot @RogueAgent !!

And I like the rumour re the main villain being obsessed with alligator skin,and the car seat interior being covered in it.

I think he will be back Barry, with Waltz in the role too. Bond 25 I believe will be a continuation of what's gone before? Especially now we know it WILL be DC's last film. So with that? I would assume that the whole MI6 team will be replaced too with new actor/actresses?
  • walter1985walter1985 Rotterdam
    Spectre has some brilliant moments. I love all of the scenes mentioned above. sadly, the storyline is a succession of plotholes. in addition the idea that Blofeld was 'the author of all Bond's pain' was a bit (a bit...) forced. and Blofelds motivation for doing what he did to Bond wasn't quite convincing. so that's why I have very mixed feelings about Spectre.

To me it feels more realistic though than the SP PTS. The screaming on the Marketplace in Istanbul when Patrice shoots that insane gun.....that to me got my skin crawling. It's uttermost realistic, and, sadly, it fels like real terrorist attacks actually are a bit like that. Not to mention the engine sounds of that Audi A5 Coupe, when it falls on its side.

But even before, when 007 discovers Ronson.....and when you see a huge pool of blood, you start to think: God, this bloody Bond film will be deadly serious.

With SP, to me it felt that Mendes tried to hard to make it look beautiful. The actual day of the dead celebrations to me lacked a certain spontaneous improvisation. Just watch the extra's, the people.....they are dancing and walking so composed, as if Mendes just screamed: "Go!".

Also, Bond producers need to understand that they should not invest all the time and money in just the PTS. It's a good intro to what's to come, but don't turn them into standalone, over-rehearsed shorts.

It always bothered me that Patrice was waiting outside in his car for Bond and Moneypenny to chase him. What was Patrice doing while Bond was comforting Ronson and searching for hard drive??

I think he will be back Barry, with Waltz in the role too. Bond 25 I believe will be a continuation of what's gone before? Especially now we know it WILL be DC's last film. So with that? I would assume that the whole MI6 team will be replaced too with new actor/actresses?
    I have to agree,Rogue,that is unfortunately the feeling i'm getting too.
    But Nil Desperandum - it might be brilliant . (It bloody better be !!!)

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Mathis1 wrote: »

It always bothered me that Patrice was waiting outside in his car for Bond and Moneypenny to chase him. What was Patrice doing while Bond was comforting Ronson and searching for hard drive??
    Authenticating the hard drive whether it's genuine, perhaps?
    Mathis1 wrote: »

Authenticating the hard drive whether it's genuine, perhaps?

That's how I see it.
    I think he presumed he killed all the agents involved and didn't know Bond was around.

• MrOrlovMrOrlov GoldenEyedGunToKill
    Hello to everyone, all the way from Russia (with love, see what i did there!). I'm new here and English is not my native language, so i apologise in advance for any future grammar errors. So as a first question - what direction do you think the producers gonna take with B25 ? Right now the rumors are kind of all over the place - remake of OHMSS or ever YOLT, possible return of Camille or Felix Leiter. Like, what kind of story could they possible tell ? (oh, plus they have to do something with Madelene Swann and Blofeld).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TripAces wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The best 5 scenes of SP:

-PTS
    -SPECTRE meeting
    -Mr. White's final moments
    -Bond meets and saves Madeleine in Austria.
    -Train fight

@FoxRox... no complaints here. But I would put the funeral scene in the top 5, instead of Mr. White's death. There are some other terrific moments in SP:

-the meeting with Q ("I told you to bring it back in one piece, not bring back one piece."
    -the mouse scene. Yes, I liked this bit, and the pouring of the beer on the floor, and Bond knocking down the wall. I love the way the room is lit, with the geometric shadows on the wall. Newman's score here is good, too.
    -And then there's this one little bit that gives me chills every time: the fifteen seconds or so when we cut from Bond and Madeleine's love scene to the overhead shot of the train going around a bend at dawn. Newman's instrumental piano of "Writing's on the Wall" is exquisite. The shot is breathtaking. And then we cut to the train pulling away, and all we see are their feet. And the piano slows and ends, and the train leaves the shot and reveals the two, standing in the middle of nowhere. It's great stuff!!!!!

That's because it's cribbed from TSWLM.