No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Great cinematography is all about setting the perfect mood.

Yeah, like changing the sky (SF and SP), so it doesn't look blue, but lightbrown I guess.
    Zekidk wrote: »

Yeah, like changing the sky (SF and SP), so it doesn't look blue, but lightbrown I guess.

Nah, I disagree with you there @Zekidk. For instance, Hoyte van Hoytema Always uses filters. He did so on "Interstellar", "Her" and also "Dunkirk". They all have a certain mood. "SPECTRE" to me had a moore moody, Kubrick-esque atmosphere. And the sandy look gave the film a somewhat eerie feel. Right down to the torture sequence. But again, that's just my personal opinion :-).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

You can apply that logic to anything artistic.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    SP PTS is the best set piece of the film but for me it's no where near as thrilling as the PTS in SF.

It's only the people that really dislike SF think SP is better, the films are night and day.

It's amazing to think they were made by the same director, one looks like everyone was determined to make the best film they could, the other stank of lack of ideas and a cobbled together screenplay.

Also Deakins cinematography was so much better than Hoyt and I really rate his work with Alfredson and of course his work on Dunkirk was mesmerising.

I'll put it down to Mendes obviously didn't gel with him like he did with Thomas & Chris.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Shardlake wrote: »
    It's only the people that really dislike SF think SP is better, the films are night and day.

I liked both but thought SP was better.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,169

You can apply that logic to anything artistic.

Yeah, of course. It's all about creative choices and personal preference. Some we like, some we don't. The black and white PCS from CR? I love it. Same goes for the neon-lit China in SF. Colorgrading the sky so it looks lightbrown? That I don't like, even though others consider it to be "great."
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Murdock wrote: »

No offence but you love Brosnan so I can see why that would be the case, SPECTRE is essentially a Pierce film with Craig in, one of the reasons I can't stand it.

Save the PTS all the action sequences are devoid of tension and danger, much like I viewed all the PB era bar GE.

No offence but you love Brosnan so I can see why that would be the case, SPECTRE is essentially a Pierce film with Craig in, one of the reasons I can't stand it.

Save the PTS all the action sequences are devoid of tension and danger, much like I viewed all the PB era bar GE.

ok.
    Spectre is the ultimate Bond film. Skyfall is the ultimate Craig Bond character driven film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Spectre is the ultimate Bond film.
    That's an extremely bold statement, especially given the exceptional back catalog for this franchise.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Let's get back on topic.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Spectre is the ultimate Bond film. Skyfall is the ultimate Craig Bond character driven film.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837

I don't get why you're advocating an out and out cinematic Bond film for Bond 25 in one thread and criticising SP and the Brosnan era in another? What's the difference? You often criticise these films for being cliche ridden but then say you want a celebration of the cinematic Bond and want them to bring back another cliche (the big battle at the end).

And for the record @Murdock I agree with you. I like both very much but thought SP was a lot better. Kept the style, class, tone and character stuff that SF did well but was less pretentious, more fun and self aware and had better action and a better story too imo.
    Well said @thelivingroyale, I agree with you 100%. :-bd
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139
    What about Bruno Delbonnel for DP? Harry Potter 6 is one of the best looking HP films.

Aside from Dumbledore rescuong Harry with that fire spell in the cave it really isn't. It's not bad but it's the least good-looking of all 8 films.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,575
    SP PTS is the best set piece of the film but for me it's no where near as thrilling as the PTS in SF.

It's amazing to think they were made by the same director, one looks like everyone was determined to make the best film they could, the other stank of lack of ideas and a cobbled together screenplay.

Also Deakins cinematography was so much better than Hoyt and I really rate his work with Alfredson and of course his work on Dunkirk was mesmerising.

I'll put it down to Mendes obviously didn't gel with him like he did with Thomas & Chris.

What about the PTS of Skyfall, when bond gets shot off the train ,smashes into the river from a great distance and looks like he is dead as he is drowning then emerges from all that alive and well scenes later. ?

What's with that ?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Both of those PTS' are pretty weak to me, but I think SP slightly edges SF.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    SF's PTS is more thought-out than SP's. It is patently ridiculous that the paradegoers pay no heed to the collapsing building!
    echo wrote: »
    SF's PTS is more thought-out than SP's. It is patently ridiculous that the paradegoers pay no heed to the collapsing building!

To me the SF PTS is the better one too. It's like one hell of a giant chase from start to end. Very much like the Miami chase scene in CR and the OP chase bomb sequence. Just love that..
    They are both good but SP's is actually one of my personal favorites. Best sequence of the film; very fun and memorable.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    SF's PTS is one of the best sequences in a Bond film for me. I'm always impressed by it every time I view the film. It's non-linear and involves several vehicles (car, bike, train). Also, I like how MP & Bond start off together and then are separated but still pursuing the same villain. It's quite an outstanding piece of work imho.

I like SP's up to the building collapse (so basically the tracking shot which is all about style). Once the 'action' kicks in, I am bored beyond words, which is the case with all the action in the film bar the Hinx fight.

Hopefully they give us something tense in 2 years time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I bash SP a lot, but a masked Bond hiding amongst the crowd as Marco passes and Bond begins his pursuit is a very cool moment.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,269
    The best 5 scenes of SP:

-PTS
    -SPECTRE meeting
    -Mr. White's final moments
    -Bond meets and saves Madeleine in Austria.
    -Train fight
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I bash SP a lot, but a masked Bond hiding amongst the crowd as Marco passes and Bond begins his pursuit is a very cool moment.

Well, spectre has a ton of great moments. The helicopter spinning, the tracking shot, the part when he shoots the flare. Some of the shots of the board room meeting. The drift with the aston in rome. The part when he ejects out of the car. The plane chase. The train fight. Theyres a lot to love. Unfortunately theres a lot of shit. And sprinkles in a shit ice cream, dont make it tasty
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I much prefer Spectre's PTS, but let me single out a couple of good things about Skyfall's: I like the transition from the dimly lit building to the sunny streets. The changes from one vehicle to another, which happen so quickly and with barely a pause in between, make the sequence gradually build up to a climax in a very seamless, almost imperceptible way. Also, when Moneypenny is about to fire, the way the MI6 staff behind M gradually starts standing up and paying attention is a good touch.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,169
    They spent three months shooting in various parts of Turkey, just for the PTS of SF. A car chase, that turns into a shootout in a market, that turns into a bikechase in and on top of the bazaar, that turns into a fight on top of a moving train? For me it's the highlight of the movie and probably the best PTS of the entire series. The tracking shot, the score and the chaos from the SP PTS makes it a closer contender.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I also prefer Spectre's PTS by a wide margin. I like Skyfall's PTS, but there's no way it's better than its successor's. Actually, if I'm quite frank, Spectre's PTS is perhaps one of the very best in the entire series.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 3,126
    I'm glad the mi6 community is back up and running I tried logging and for some reason a weird message came up and said error and site crash I was a bit worried cause I couldn't get on now looks like things are back normal I wonder what happened
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I'm glad the mi6 community is back up and running I tried logging and for some reason a weird message came up and said error and site crash I was a bit worried cause I couldn't get on now looks like things are back normal I wonder what happened

So it wasnt just mine then