No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    doubleoego wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    To build interest and suspense.

Which is stupid as Bond will always generate interest and after the mess EoN have created for themselves and audiences, they need to worry less in trying to play games in building suspense over an issue no one cares about or will be overehelmingly shocked by. People are either expecting a new actor or Craig to return. Which ever it is, especially as the 25th film has been announced and given a release date they should just come out with it instead of hyping this up that's only serving to be misplaced self-congratulatory, cheap circus guff.

Pretentious is the perfect word to describe it.

Unjustifiable pretentiousness at that. SF's title was a poorly kept secret, EoN and Waltz protesting the latter wasnt Blofeld amongst other shoddy kept secrets and for me 2 largely disappointing movies; EoN are out of touch and desperately need to change and update their game plan. From when they can start putting out top quality movies again then they can do what they like but that's not currently the case and right now assuming they'll announce Craig will be back, it'll be a case of 'Ok; and?' Unless his announcement comes with him coming back for a 3 picture deal (Which I doubt) I don't see why anyone, especially fans should really give that much of a shit.

I like what you have to say on this issue.
    I think Bond 25 could boost, lower, or do nothing to change my opinion of Spectre. If Bond 25 is an incredibly great film starring Craig and utilizing Blofeld and manages to be original, it will probably make SP look a lot less good in comparison. If Bond 25 bombs for whatever reason, with or without Craig, SP will look better. If the film is on par-ish with SP I likely won't change my opinion.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree that SP will "seem" better once B25 has dropped.

If anything, think it'll sink in people's lists.

I don't think the Mendes double has much replay value, but at least SF had some inspired elements. Great locations, excellent title tune, DC in top form.

SP is flat in almost every way. It isn't cohesive, it contains the worst third act in the canon, DC's performance is indifferent.

Even the much heralded Mexico opener amounts to little more than a dipping helicopter over a crowded plaza.

It lacks the personality of SF's PTS, which I think is the best of the DC era.

I could very well be wrong, but I think SP will settle as something of a nadir for Craig, despite the solid box office.

As a fan, I hope he returns to set things right in.

I respect your stance, but I can't help but feel like similar comments were hurled at a title like DAD when it came out. Now, 15 years later, more fans seem to be coming around around to it. Time is a funny beast that way. How the rest of DC's tenure goes will likely effect the standing of SP as well.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    Those Scott and Fiennes scenes are bloody awful. Fiennes' "not to kill" speech (delivered with gritted teeth as if he was trying to let one out) is shockingly bad. One wonders how much better it could have been without Scott in the film at all. I know many laud Fiennes for refusing to be the traitor (as per the early script draft), but I'm not so sure because all these silly 'C' scenes would then have been avoided.

This didn't bother me as much, because it really set up (or tried to) the reason Bond doesn't kill Blofeld at the end.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »
    On one level I agree the writing was far from polished in SP. On another level I'd ask have you been watching the Bond films for the past 25 years? Because the writing has generally been abysmal ever since Maibaum stopped working on Bond.

So yes SP is not perfect. But also get over it.

Not quite. CR, QOS, TND, and Goldneye are examples of a plot that makes sense with minimal holes. And the right answer is to not just accept they will be shit.

There's plot and then there's dialogue. A lot of the dialogue has been pretty ropey for years. We get flashes of quality writing but generally it's not been great for a long time.

Maibaum defined the feel of the dialogue for two and a half decades. There were other writers periodically of course, but he set the bar high.

Purvis and Wade have sadly not lived up to his standards. They're dodgy Sunday afternoon British TV level writers at best.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Regarding the interview, Craig will likely have some prepared (generalized) answers about B25 so any microexpression experts out there could be of help. :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Regarding the interview, Craig will likely have some prepared (generalized) answers about B25 so any microexpression experts out there could be of help. :D
    Colbert is a genius at coaxing out the truth. As I've said, I anxiously await deep analysis of this month's version of the 'Oyelowo smile'.
    Minion wrote: »
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree that SP will "seem" better once B25 has dropped.

If anything, think it'll sink in people's lists.

I don't think the Mendes double has much replay value, but at least SF had some inspired elements. Great locations, excellent title tune, DC in top form.

SP is flat in almost every way. It isn't cohesive, it contains the worst third act in the canon, DC's performance is indifferent.

Even the much heralded Mexico opener amounts to little more than a dipping helicopter over a crowded plaza.

It lacks the personality of SF's PTS, which I think is the best of the DC era.

I could very well be wrong, but I think SP will settle as something of a nadir for Craig, despite the solid box office.

As a fan, I hope he returns to set things right in.

I respect your stance, but I can't help but feel like similar comments were hurled at a title like DAD when it came out. Now, 15 years later, more fans seem to be coming around around to it. Time is a funny beast that way. How the rest of DC's tenure goes will likely effect the standing of SP as well.

Indeed there weren't. The opposite actually. When it came out it got great critics praising it as a great homage to its 19 predecessors. Also with the people I know. They didn't think there was too much wrong with it. Of course everybody laughed about the surfing scene, but apart from that ...
    I also remember people arguing that the way the invisible car was explained was technically very feasible and not very far-fetched. By the way, if you want to get surprised just Google "Mercedes and invisible car". You and many others here on this forum will be in for quite some surprise. This is no fake. I've seen it on German news years ago, and our news tend to be quite conservative, meaning they don't fall very easily for hoaxes.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'll admit with some shame that I thought highly of DAD upon its release (even though I thought the CGI-Surf was a total disgrace even for 2002). I recall thinking Brosnan was brilliant, and brought a Connery like machismo to Bond (particularly in Cuba). I only soured on it later. I viewed it again yesterday and have now reappraised it positively once more.

My SP theatre experience in 2015 was very similar to my opinion of TWINE in 1999. That film remains my 24 out of 24.

I can't see my opinion of it improving dramatically unless Craig is out. Then there will be some nostalgia for me that it wrapped up (even if very poorly) his generally stellar run.
    DAD is total dreck from start to finish. Conneryesque? Pull the other one! Having said that, it's still better than TWINE, which I agree is the worst of the lot, mainly by virtue of being soul crushingly dull.

To mention SP in the same breath as either of these Brosnan era abominations is utterly absurd.

I personally can't stand SF but even I can recognise it's still infinitely superior to any of the Brosnan films. Different league entirely.

There's a much needed dose of common sense and reality needed round here right now. Peoples minds are getting addled by all the frustration and waiting.

When people start claiming DAD is superior to SP you really know the world's gone mad.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I only saw DAD once in the theater-- which had never happened in the past (I see all Bond films at least five times in the cinema).

I was loving the film, right up until meeting Jinx. Then it felt like everything derailed. I couldn't stand that silly climax, and the robo-cop suit, the one liners, the fight between Jinx and Miranda...

By the time I left the theater, I literally felt I had been punched in the gut.

Recently, inspired by the forum members, I ran my own Bondathon.

Everything was going swimmingly, until half way through TWINE. Depressed at how dull I found it, I skipped the rest of that film, and DAD, and went straight into the Craig films.

I find the sudden love for DAD very curious, and, although I fear my own reaction to it will probably remain the same as in the past, I am gearing up to give it another go.
    Getafix wrote: »
    DAD is total dreck from start to finish. Conneryesque? Pull the other one! Having said that, it's still better than TWINE, which I agree is the worst of the lot, mainly by virtue of being soul crushingly dull.

To mention SP in the same breath as either of these Brosnan era abominations is utterly absurd.

I personally can't stand SF but even I can recognise it's still infinitely superior to any of the Brosnan films. Different league entirely.

There's a much needed dose of common sense and reality needed round here right now. Peoples minds are getting addled by all the frustration and waiting.

When people start claiming DAD is superior to SP you really know the world's gone mad.

@Getafix hear hear
    @peter - nice to hear a lone voice of reason rising from amongst the cacophony of this veritable bedlam!
    I didn't say DAD was Conneryesque. I said I felt Brosnan was in Cuba. I still do. In fact, I'd say while there he probably gives us one of the best realizations of Bond outside of Connery or Moore at their best (sorry Dalton fans).

I didn't say DAD was superior to SP either. I will say this: I enjoy it far more than I do SP. Additionally, some of the scenes in that film are first class technically, such as the opening surf and the Aston/Jag chase. As I said, I viewed it yesterday and still am very impressed with what EON were able to pull off in those sequences. Far better than anything in SP. It's a shame that it was let down by other now notorious sequences.
    Have you ever been to Cuba? DAD conveys absolutely nothing of the place. The film is atrocious.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Back on topic, please.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Colbert is a genius at coaxing out the truth. As I've said, I anxiously await deep analysis of this month's version of the 'Oyelowo smile'.

I just hope Craig doesn't humour the press with anything akin to the infamous slashing quote. The online rags would have a field day with that.

I just hope Craig doesn't humour the press with anything akin to the infamous slashing quote. The online rags would have a field day with that.
    Indeed. His humour is sorely misunderstood by some. He'd be better off doing an impersonation of Joe Bang or something in order to get the requisite laughs from the audience. Hope he's prepped. The world will be watching closely, as will studio heads and the like.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I'm still fighting PTSD I developed from DAD, it's in a (bad) league of its own. The entire gene therapy plot is, to put it mildly, bad quality manure.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ridiculous statements all over the place. Not to mention... some make believe incoherent philosophy throwing a few words from an English dictionary here and there, and people believe they're onto something. Wow.
  • KuzcoKuzco france

For me, this interview has 2 options:
    Either Craig actually reveals that he will return and everyone will applaud on the set.
    Or there will be no question because Colbert will have received instructions thereon.

One thing is certain, I see very bad craig announce on a tv show that it leaves James Bond, it would be weird. Either we will have positives answers on his return or he will say nothing.
    Kuzco wrote: »

Either Craig actually reveals that he will return and everyone will applaud on the set.
    Or there will be no question because Colbert will have received instructions thereon.

One thing is certain, I see very bad craig announce on a tv show that it leaves James Bond, it would be weird. Either we will have positives answers on his return or he will say nothing.

I think you're right. And if Colbert doesn't mention Bond, then we can be pretty certain that, as you suggest, instructions have prevented such questions - and that means Eon etc. want the news to be officially revealed by them and by no one else.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I think you're right. And if Colbert doesn't mention Bond, then we can be pretty certain that, as you suggest, instructions have prevented such questions - and that means Eon etc. want the news to be officially revealed by them and by no one else.

Yes and I think this is clearly planning ahead and there is likely to be no questions on bond 25. Craig's news is so important for Bond 25 that I see it badly revealed on Colbert
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    ColonelSun wrote: »

How would Colbert even introduce Craig without mentioning Bond? SF and SP are the most recent films he's been in, anything else is far too long ago and likely not that well known in the US.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. Craig isn't identifiable outside Bond, so obviously (and 20 years from now even) they're still going to talk about Bond whenever he's on. Kind of like how Brosnan put it: "Once you become Bond, it stays with you forever." (or something like that).
    Exactly. How are they going to dodge the Bond 25 question? They can, but if they do, it's going to be ridiculous.
    I have a question. How did they announce Brosnan's departure? Was it concurrently with the announcement of Craig or was there a gap? Did Brosnan let it out or was it EON? Just curious.
    Definitely not concurrent, as I recall it. There was a whole "search" aspect to finding the next one. News trickled out of a final four contenders, and so forth. Can't recall if it was EON or Brosnan who let out his departure, however.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Not to over complicate the plot, but Christoph Waltz taped his 'Late Show' interview three weeks ago, likely just before the Bond 25 announcement.

If Craig's interview is also pretaped, we might not get any news.