Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,151
    Well, I say a few, but 2 anyway.
    One -
    Homage to the Bat Signal in the sky when Keaton's Vulture flies in front of the moon.

And Two, almost a Mickey take I think -
    Mimicking Bale's Batman voice when interrogating Aaron Davies.

I think I caught at least one more but it slips my mind.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t catch those, Sharky, but
    the way he lands for the first time in his outfit is just like Batman.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Shark_0f_Largo
    Great film! I was impressed to say the least by Michael Keaton. He's the true star of the film for me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Spider-Man: Homecoming. What a good, fun movie that was. Really enjoyed it.

Did you notice the Batman reference? Just a subtle homage, really.

I honestly was waiting for Spider-Man to confused Vulture for a bat when they first met, until he got a closer look just to poke some fun.

"Wow, are you supposed to be a bat or-oh, never mind!"
    I didn t catch those, Sharky, but
    the way he lands for the first time in his outfit is just like Batman.

Of course. Nice spot.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Shark_0f_Largo
    Great film! I was impressed to say the least by Michael Keaton. He's the true star of the film for me.

He certainly was. But that can be said of many of his movies. I was also impressed by the young supporting cast too.

Oh, and Marisa Tomei - Hubba Hubba.
    I didn t realize until recently that Zendaya was that girl from the Disney Channel. She did good.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Psycho II [Arrow Video - blu-ray] 1983, dir. Richard Franklin. Well I saw this on initial release, and then on VHS a short while later and not seen it since. 'It's 22 years later and Norman Bates is coming home'.
    This is a clever, worthy sequel, with a great cast; Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles from the original, the brilliant Robert Loggia and the tempting Meg Tilly, who is gorgeous and has a certain innocence and vulnerability in the part. And the magnificent Dennis Franz playing…Dennis Franz! "At least my customer's had a good time. What happened to your's ya loony!"
    And of course being an Arrow release you get a great 40-page booklet with some interesting articles, one being a chapter from Franklin's unpublished autobiography re the making of Psycho II, and a load of new and archive features. Recommended - now if Arrow could just do the same with Franklin's Patrick and Road Games and I'll be happy!
    An acting masterclass from Mr Perkins as a man being driven to edge of insanity…again!
    I didn t realize until recently that Zendaya was that girl from the Disney Channel. She did good.

Yeah, she stood out for me too.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Psycho II [Arrow Video - blu-ray] 1983, dir. Richard Franklin. Well I saw this on initial release, and then on VHS a short while later and not seen it since. 'It's 22 years later and Norman Bates is coming home'.
    This is a clever, worthy sequel, with a great cast; Anthony Perkins, Vera Miles from the original, the brilliant Robert Loggia and the tempting Meg Tilly, who is gorgeous and has a certain innocence and vulnerability in the part. And the magnificent Dennis Franz playing…Dennis Franz! "At least my customer's had a good time. What happened to your's ya loony!"
    And of course being an Arrow release you get a great 40-page booklet with some interesting articles, one being a chapter from Franklin's unpublished autobiography re the making of Psycho II, and a load of new and archive features. Recommended - now if Arrow could just do the same with Franklin's Patrick and Road Games and I'll be happy!
    An acting masterclass from Mr Perkins as a man being driven to edge of insanity…again!

Very underrated film. Perkins is excellent and it's one of those films you wish were longer.

Will have to check out the Blu ray as the DVD is a terrible transfer.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Recommended - now if Arrow could just do the same with Franklin's Patrick and Road Games and I'll be happy!

I'd kill to see an Arrow release of Road Games. Indicator are also good, I have their dual format release of The New Centurians, that comes with the DVD, BR, a decent amount of extras and a 23 page booklet.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Recommended - now if Arrow could just do the same with Franklin's Patrick and Road Games and I'll be happy!

I'd kill to see an Arrow release of Road Games. Indicator are also good, I have their dual format release of The New Centurians, that comes with the DVD, BR, a decent amount of extras and a 23 page booklet.

They always do a bang up job. Got The Thing special edition on pre-order, along with about 4000 other people, the news of that release crashed their website!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Arrival

Hadn't got around to seeing this but finally caught up with it.

Really good film. Intense and emotional in places and contrary to reports I found it moved very fast.

The build up to them entering the Alien craft is exceptionally well done and very ominous. You really feel the characters fear, tension and curiosity.

The ending felt as if it could have suited a Star Trek episode but overall this is intelligent science fiction.

Yet another winner from Villeneuve.
    FRANKENSTEIN (1931)

Pretty daft movie with a few good scenes.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Arrival

Hadn't got around to seeing this but finally caught up with it.

Really good film. Intense and emotional in places and contrary to reports I found it moved very fast.

The build up to them entering the Alien craft is exceptionally well done and very ominous. You really feel the characters fear, tension and curiosity.

The ending felt as if it could have suited a Star Trek episode but overall this is intelligent science fiction.

Yet another winner from Villeneuve.

I'm glad to hear your positive review! I feel it doesn't get the love it deserves. It's pretty smart and I was sucked in from the opening credits to the end credits.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I still call ARRIVAL the best film I got to see last year. Clever, exciting, the "new science fiction", coming from people who understand physics very well.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The serial killer genre has been playing catch up since Se7en was released, yes there had been films similar to it before but not even SOTL compared to this.

From the moment it starts the tension is building, it's a masterclass, that foot chase with Mills chasing John Doe is extraordinary.

The John Doe reveal is such a masterstroke, how anyone thinks they've seen this before is beyond me and yes I did see it on it's original theatrical release, I left the cinema shell shocked.

One of the most influential films of the last 25 years, just take a look at Police procedural
    dramas on TV in the U.S and the UK, all pretty much aping Se7en, trying to come with something as disturbing and dark but always taking it too far.

Some great lines as well.

"Just cause the fuckers got a library card doesn't make him Yoda"

"Your no messiah, you're a movie of the week, a fuckin' t-shirt at best.

The closing line is still quite haunting.

"Ernest Hemmingway once said, the world is a beautiful and worth fighting for, I believe in the second part"

Bearing in mind I'm a Fincher fan boy and barring Panic Room and Benji Button I pretty much love all his output.

Watched Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In tonight, talk about fucked up, although definitely intriguing once you realise what has happened, yeah messed up but a good film nonetheless.

Shardlake wrote: »
    Watched Pedro Almodovar's The Skin I Live In tonight, talk about fucked up, although definitely intriguing once you realise what has happened, yeah messed up but a good film nonetheless.
    The Skin I Live In stars the beautiful Blanca Suárez, who I personally think would make a fantastic Bond girl. Loved her in the recent Spanish move El Bar from my favorite Spanish horror director Alex DeLa Iglesia. Personally, I feel there needs to be more Spanish actresses in Bond movies.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Skin I Live In was one fantastic movie. Gives me Eyes Without A Face vibes to a degree.
    ...the last half of Predator (on TV). I love Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. I also recently saw his movie Escape Plan, and I love the line after Sly Stallone punches him. Arnold says, "You hit like a vegetarian".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Spider-man: Homecoming. Wow, not perfect, unevenly paced, but what they got right they got oh-so right. I'll always love the Maguire films as stand-alone Spidey, but this is the perfect Spider-man for the MCU! Third favourite MCU film behind Iron Man & Winter Soldier.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Kong Skull Island another soulless CGI fest, unfortunately it was not terrible enough to be amusing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Spider-man: Homecoming. Wow, not perfect, unevenly paced, but what they got right they got oh-so right. I'll always love the Maguire films as stand-alone Spidey, but this is the perfect Spider-man for the MCU! Third favourite MCU film behind Iron Man & Winter Soldier.

@chrisisall, what'd you think of Tom? I was impressed on every level, and he held his own and more against everyone in the cast. A fantastic Peter AND Spider-Man.

I see it as an imperfect film, but one that really sets up some promise. And I think over time I'll appreciate it for its small scope, as you can tell that they're leading up to bigger conflicts for Peter as he matures as a hero.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,698
    @chrisisall, what'd you think of Tom? I was impressed on every level, and he held his own and more against everyone in the cast. A fantastic Peter AND Spider-Man.
    Definitely. He was awesome. A calm understated presence. Holding the screen with RDJ is no mean feat. @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 did you feel as I do that they toned Spidey's physical strength down a bit? He banged his head & knocked himself out-? Ehhh, small thing I guess. Keaton also delivered the goods big time.
    Definitely. He was awesome. A calm understated presence. Holding the screen with RDJ is no mean feat. @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 did you feel as I do that they toned Spidey's physical strength down a bit? He banged his head & knocked himself out-? Ehhh, small thing I guess. Keaton also delivered the goods big time.

I think they were trying to really show Peter finding himself and getting comfortable with his abilities (like in Civil War) though I didn't like how much the suit did things for him, taking his agency away too much. I didn't mind him taking hits though, as it made sense for the story.

I seem to be in the minority, but I wasn't wowed by Keaton. He was fine, but just fine. I guess where the MCU is concerned any villain who is okay is equal to masterful. I've also got memories of the Raimi films in my head, which had better acted and written by far. I felt for Norman and Ock because the movie gave me a reason to, and the performances of Dafoe and Molina were deep and tragic to fit that; I saw them as humans before I did monsters, and that sold it.

They tried to do a sympathetic angle with Keaton's character and it just fell so flat. They show him being a cartoonish villain almost in a wink to the camera way, then want me to go 180 degrees on him like that. I wish the movie made more effort to really get into his character, but in comparison to just other Spidey films it rang hollow because the investment script-wise and the acting just wasn't up to snuff. Holland stole the show and after him people had to fight for scraps, and Keaton wasn't one of them; Tomei, Downy, Favreau and the comedian who played the teacher character came to play though.

But at the end of the day the important thing is that Peter is perfect, and Holland will thrive in the role. Once you have the heart of the story everything else can improve later, and I have faith it will. It's just a new kind of superhero and Spidey film I need to get used to. But after that I think I'll like it fine. Though I think we're in agreement that the Raimi films will always have our hearts. Those movies are really special to me, and were instrumental in me falling in love with the character in the first place, alongside the animated 90s show and the Lee and Ditko run in the comics.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,698
    Though I think we're in agreement that the Raimi films will always have our hearts.
    You got that right bro.
    tobeysmall.jpg
    Though I think we're in agreement that the Raimi films will always have our hearts.
    You got that right bro.
    tobeysmall.jpg

@chrisisall, I have to say though that I'm happy for the kids who will have Holland as their Spider-Man, especially since he's young enough that he'll feel more relatable as an actor even beyond the character.

Watching him in the role and how we was able to bring out Peter's heart alongside his awkwardness and genius made me remember why I feel in love with Tobey's portrayal as a kid, and I was happy to see the script really spend time getting us familiar with him as a person so that we cared when he put on the mask. After seeing him in action and what he can do, I would never want to see any of the other actors in consideration for the part, and I see what everyone else saw in him now.
    When Holland's Spider-man held the ferry together I was reminded heavily of Maguire's saving the train in S-M 2.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 28,694
    When Holland's Spider-man held the ferry together I was reminded heavily of Maguire's saving the train in S-M 2.

Yes, and because we'd seen it before I think that may've decreased its impact, as well as its execution.

The moments that really got me were when Peter was
    hopelessly shouting for help under the rubble, showing his fear and doubts, and then at the end of the Vulture fight where he was beside himself trying to tell Toomes that he was going to kill himself and getting him out of harm's way. The latter really made me smile, with Peter scrambling to help a man who couldn't help himself, and that's my Spider-Man all over

The moments that really got me were when Peter was
    hopelessly shouting for help under the rubble, showing his fear and doubts, and then at the end of the Vulture fight where he was beside himself trying to tell Toomes that he was going to kill himself and getting him out of harm's way. The latter really made me smile, with Peter scrambling to help a man who couldn't help himself, and that's my Spider-Man all over
    Yep. And
    the favour was repaid in the coda.
    Nice.