Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2017 Posts: 45,489
    RONIN
    ronin.jpg

I thought I hadn t seen this one, but I soon realized that I had. I guess it was just so unremarkable, nothing had stuck in my memory. Great way to spend a couple of hours, but nothing special.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RONIN
    ronin.jpg

I thought I hadn t seen this one, but I soon realized that I had. I guess it was just so unremarkable, nothing had stuck in my memory. Great way to spend a couple of hours, but nothing special.

I still have not seen this film I really must buy it, I remember on its release people telling me it had a good car chase.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It has an excellent car chase and quite an impressive cast too. I very much like Michael Lonsdale in the film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I forgot Lonsdale was in RONIN, remember seeing him in the trailer the film must be set in France?
    Bullitt, French Connection and of course Bond love a good car chase will see how much the film is on Amazon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »

The moments that really got me were when Peter was
    hopelessly shouting for help under the rubble, showing his fear and doubts, and then at the end of the Vulture fight where he was beside himself trying to tell Toomes that he was going to kill himself and getting him out of harm's way. The latter really made me smile, with Peter scrambling to help a man who couldn't help himself, and that's my Spider-Man all over
    Yep. And
    the favour was repaid in the coda.
    Nice.

@chrisisall, I think it'd be cool if the movies were leading up to
    the Sinister Six on the big screen, with Peter facing Scorpion and whatever future villains they introduce next, at which point Keaton's Vulture will fly in and try to help him. I took the ending scene as him being Peter's ally, not necessarily him lying to Gargan just so that he could kill Peter himself, which some think. I believe that Toomes was really impressed and taken aback by Peter, a kid who tried to help him see sense and went to the ends of the earth to save his life because he knew how important family was and how hurt Liz would be if he died under those circumstances. Somewhere in there he found respect and understanding for Peter, and maybe even thankfulness.
    I forgot Lonsdale was in RONIN, remember seeing him in the trailer the film must be set in France?
    Bullitt, French Connection and of course Bond love a good car chase will see how much the film is on Amazon.

Yes, it is set in France, in Paris and Nice. Trevelyan, Carver and Drax all show up.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    chrisisall wrote: »

The moments that really got me were when Peter was
    hopelessly shouting for help under the rubble, showing his fear and doubts, and then at the end of the Vulture fight where he was beside himself trying to tell Toomes that he was going to kill himself and getting him out of harm's way. The latter really made me smile, with Peter scrambling to help a man who couldn't help himself, and that's my Spider-Man all over
    Yep. And
    the favour was repaid in the coda.
    Nice.

@chrisisall, I think it'd be cool if the movies were leading up to
    the Sinister Six on the big screen, with Peter facing Scorpion and whatever future villains they introduce next, at which point Keaton's Vulture will fly in and try to help him. I took the ending scene as him being Peter's ally, not necessarily him lying to Gargan just so that he could kill Peter himself, which some think. I believe that Toomes was really impressed and taken aback by Peter, a kid who tried to help him see sense and went to the ends of the earth to save his life because he knew how important family was and how hurt Liz would be if he died under those circumstances. Somewhere in there he found respect and understanding for Peter, and maybe even thankfulness.

That's exactly what I saw there.
    THE MAN WHO SUED GOD

The-Man-Who-Sued-God-DI-03.jpg

A decent enough comedy with a heart, and with Billy Connolly. Had some good laughs and pumped my fist a few times.

3,5/5
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Yes, it is set in France, in Paris and Nice. Trevelyan, Carver and Drax all show up.
    That's right! It's got a great group of Bond villains in it. I love Ronin personally.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Been looking to get Ronin for a while, I believe the current Blu ray is nothing to shout about so pleasantly surprised that Arrow have new 4K remaster on the way.

Cracking action thriller, look forward to an impressive restoration of this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronin-Blu-ray-Robert-Niro/dp/B071LBF1C2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1501523422&sr=1-1&keywords=ronin
    HARLEY DAVIDSON AND THE MARLBORO MAN (1991)
    hqdefault.jpg

Really liked this one when it was in the cinema. It doesn t hold up all that well, but if you just want an hour and a half of good fun, you can do a lot worse than putting this on.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Had to rewatch 'Dredd' after discussing it on here recently. Always entertaining.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm in the lobby about to see DUNKIRK. I'm at the only theater in San Jose that is showing a 70mm print (none of that IMAX or 3-D stuff). I'm up and down with Nolan (and never too far in either direction), so I have almost zero expectations or fears.

Cool. Hope you like it @Birdleson; ranks in my Top 5 of his.
    DUNKIRK (2017)

This is a great film. And those who are familiar with me on here know that is not something that I say lightly or frequently; particularly in regard too the wasteland that has been Western cinema for these past 30+ years. If you see this picture, which I highly suggest that you do, find a cinema showing the 70MM print (I realize that this may be difficult to impossible if you do not live near a large metropolitan area), it is truly a beautiful looking film. Another benefit is that with the 70MM showing you only have to sit through one trailer, which is imbedded in the print itself.

As I said above, I am not the biggest Christopher Nolan fan; he is always stylish and his films are visual stimulating, but I find his concepts and drama sophomoric and empty. Not the case here, this is by far the best work that he has done. It is tight and concise; not a moment wasted on unnecessary or forced backstories or melodrama. Though quite modern in technique, it harkens back to the wonderful British war films of decades past. I can't tell you how many times tears welled up in my eyes.

Every performance was spot on, as one would expect. I am so happy that Nolan did not go to his go to his standard star, Bale, or even DiCaprio, this time. The obnoxious faux gravitas of either probably would have, if not killed it, greatly weakened the experience for me.

My one minor (so minor) criticism would be
    when all of the local boats coming to rescue the stranded soldiers appear on the horizon and the music swells and everyone cheers. Not that it wasn't another excellent moment in itself, but it just kind of awkwardly happens out of nowhere. It doesn't quite have the impact that I feel that it should.
    But, as I said, that is a minor quibble.

Certainly the best (new) film that I have seen this year (which isn't saying much in that I've only seen the usually superhero tripe so far; what the Hell has happened to movies?), and quite possibly the best film that have seen in many a year; I have to give it another viewing or two and some time before I can make that assertion.

I still don't think that Nolan is appropriate for a Bond film.

Great comments; I agree with almost everything! Glad you did like it; I definitely think it is one of his finest achievements.
    It's his only one (fine achievement), so far as I'm concerned. I'm not including the Batman (I am a big fan of BATMAN BEGINS) films because, like Bond, the character is so imbedded in my childhood that the things that I love or hate about them are intrinsically tied into my history and involvement with the entire mythology. I cannot comfortably compare Batman or Bond films to other cinema.

Definitely understandable about Batman and Bond films. They can be hard to me to really compare to other cinema as well. Nolan's 3 Batmans, The Prestige, and Dunkirk are the standout films he has done that are my favorites. I also like Inception and Interstellar - but they're not favorites.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DUNKIRK (2017)

This is a great film. And those who are familiar with me on here know that is not something that I say lightly or frequently; particularly in regard too the wasteland that has been Western cinema for these past 30+ years. If you see this picture, which I highly suggest that you do, find a cinema showing the 70MM print (I realize that this may be difficult to impossible if you do not live near a large metropolitan area), it is truly a beautiful looking film. Another benefit is that with the 70MM showing you only have to sit through one trailer, which is imbedded in the print itself.

As I said above, I am not the biggest Christopher Nolan fan; he is always stylish and his films are visual stimulating, but I find his concepts and drama sophomoric and empty. Not the case here, this is by far the best work that he has done. It is tight and concise; not a moment wasted on unnecessary or forced backstories or melodrama. Though quite modern in technique, it harkens back to the wonderful British war films of decades past. I can't tell you how many times tears welled up in my eyes.

Every performance was spot on, as one would expect. I am so happy that Nolan did not go to his go to his standard star, Bale, or even DiCaprio, this time. The obnoxious faux gravitas of either probably would have, if not killed it, greatly weakened the experience for me.

when all of the local boats coming to rescue the stranded soldiers appear on the horizon and the music swells and everyone cheers. Not that it wasn't another excellent moment in itself, but it just kind of awkwardly happens out of nowhere. It doesn't quite have the impact that I feel that it should.

Certainly the best (new) film that I have seen this year (which isn't saying much in that I've only seen the usually superhero tripe so far; what the Hell has happened to movies?), and quite possibly the best film that have seen in many a year; I have to give it another viewing or two and some time before I can make that assertion.

Wow! Now I know this is a must-see! Thanks!
    DUNKIRK (2017)

This is a great film. And those who are familiar with me on here know that is not something that I say lightly or frequently; particularly in regard to the wasteland that has been Western cinema for these past 30+ years. If you see this picture, which I highly suggest that you do, find a cinema showing the 70MM print (I realize that this may be difficult to impossible if you do not live near a large metropolitan area), it is truly a beautiful looking film. Another benefit is that with the 70MM showing you only have to sit through one trailer, which is imbedded in the print itself.

Every performance was spot on, as one would expect. I am so happy that Nolan did not go to his standard star, Bale, or even DiCaprio, this time. The obnoxious faux gravitas of either probably would have, if not killed it, greatly weakened the experience for me.

Certainly the best (new) film that I have seen this year (which isn't saying much in that I've only seen the usually superhero tripe so far; what the Hell has happened to movies?), and quite possibly the best film that I have seen in many a year; I have to give it another viewing or two and some time before I can make that assertion.

Glad you liked it. I'm hoping to catch it again tomorrow (this time in full IMAX glory). Great film.
    Seeing Dunkirk tomorrow :)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Arrival (2016)
    5POPl4h.jpg

2nd viewing of this film (the first was in the theatre). I wasn't too keen on it then, and this watch didn't improve my perception of it either. I understand what they were going for, and the twist is intriguing, but the pacing is just too slow for me. I didn't find the aliens or their vehicles to be all that compelling either (I suppose they were going for something nondescript in order to focus the viewer on the narrative). The linguistic elements are a nice touch, but I thought it wasn't handled all that well. They should have delved into it more (it's actually an area of personal interest to me. I had previously concluded that language, the way we speak, & our vocabulary impacts our thoughts and perceptions and was surprised to learn in the film that there is a branch of linguistics which deals with this). The politics are a bit predictable (breaking within the ranks of governments as they confront an alien force) and I felt as though I've seen this all somewhere before (perhaps in Contact or some of those mid 90's disaster pics like Armageddon or Deep Impact). The cinematography is certainly impressive, but there is a washed out hue to the whole film which I'm not too keen on.

The cast is pretty decent though. Amy Adams is always a delight to watch (a great actress) and she gives a very moving performance here as linguist Dr. Louise Banks. Jeremy Renner is serviceable as physicist Ian Donnelly but a bit one note (I'm not really a fan of his, I'll confess) & formidable character actors Forest Whitaker (as MIC Colonel Webber) and Michael Stuhlbarg (as CIA agent Halpern) are a treat as always, even if a bit predictable.

Ultimately this is as much an intimate story about Adams character & her journey as it is one about aliens. There is a moral decision at the heart of the film which is somewhat similar to one faced by a character in Passengers. I much preferred the way it was handled in that film, and sadly couldn't find sympathy for Adams character.

For the cast will definitely have to get it, there is a new release on bluray in UK on August 14th I'll hold out for that.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Arrow Video are just about to release their edition of this film (not one I've seen) and Arrow always do such a bang up job [extras/booklet etc] I'd go for that one.

This was really bad.A thirteen-a-dozen movie, like the Brosnan Bonds.
    Ugh! Abduction is such a terrible film.
    A script like dozens were written before and usually rejected.
    And a "performance" by Lautner that's even worse than what Jai Courtney does. Pathetic.
    This film made me want to vomit.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,530

Arrow Video are just about to release their edition of this film (not one I've seen) and Arrow always do such a bang up job [extras/booklet etc] I'd go for that one.

I think that maybe the one I saw advertised, agreed I bought Remo Williams which was an Arrow release some time ago had some great extras, a reversible sleeve and a nice glossy booklet.

No surprise there.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain

An unnecessary blow to us Brosnan fans. Abduction is terrible and makes even the worst Bond movies look Oscar worthy.
    Love or hate Brosnan, 'Abduction' comes nowhere close to the fare that Brosnan has taken part in. Just an absolutely terrible film across all facets. I take pride in knowing I'll never have to see it again.

I'll be catching 'Atomic Blonde' in a few hours, can't wait. Anyone else had a chance to see it yet?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be catching 'Atomic Blonde' in a few hours, can't wait. Anyone else had a chance to see it yet?
    I'll be seeing it in a few hours myself. It was a tossup between this or Dunkirk (this time in IMAX) again.

Looking forward to it.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'll be seeing it in a few hours myself. It was a tossup between this or Dunkirk (this time in IMAX) again.

Looking forward to it.

Do share your thoughts once you've returned and I'll do the same. Curious to see how our opinions line up.
    bondjames wrote: »

Looking forward to it.

Do share your thoughts once you've returned and I'll do the same. Curious to see how our opinions line up.
    Will do. I'm going in pretty much blind (I know nothing except for the trailer).