Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @QsAssistant, I commend that movie for:
    Having them actually kick one another's ass in the end. I thought I smelled an unrealistic happy reconciliation between the two at the last moment and the fight is cancelled.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @QsAssistant, I commend that movie for:
    Having them actually kick one another's ass in the end. I thought I smelled an unrealistic happy reconciliation between the two at the last moment and the fight is cancelled.

It thought the same.
    I was happy when they beat the hell out of each other. The fight itself was actually pretty damn good and entertaining.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It was a lot funnier than I had expected. I try not to judge comedies based on their trailers anymore, because they're a horrible indicator of what'll be found within the film itself.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As it is Kevin Spacey s birthday

When this came out, it was movie of the year for me. Nothing has changed. Such a powerful and smart script.
    Never heard of it but it looks quite interesting. I may have to check it out.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,009
    Another of your Bond copycat recommendations!: The Liquidator (1965)

Not very much to say: I love the colloquial tone of the dialogs and the general farcical tone. Trevor Howard is brilliant, Rod Taylor, good, Jill St. John WAY better than in DAF and David Tomlinson is a lot of fun, especially having watched this movie IMMEDIATELY after Mary Poppins.

Being from Jack Cardiff, the movie, of course, looks good; Lalo Schifrin shows he could have been an awesome Bond composer, and with Shirley Bassey as the singer of the main theme, he can't lose.

The main problem I see here is the lack of action scenes: this works better as a comedy than as an action film, and while the few action sequences are cool and suspenseful enough, they're too far apart from each other.

That said, not a bad effort.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Also of note: The Liquidator novel it's based on is written by Bond author John Gardner.
    TheLiquidator.jpg
    Also of note: The Liquidator novel it's based on is written by Bond author John Gardner.
    TheLiquidator.jpg

Yes, and Boysie Oakes even has his own logo XD Quite a funny way to end the movie.
    Dunkirk (2017). It'd rank among my favorite Nolan films - alongside The Dark Knight trilogy and The Prestige.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 12,301
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Watched on Kubrick's birthday. Simply one of the best films ever.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). Watched on Kubrick's birthday. Simply one of the best films ever.

I find it has a boring story for my intellect.
    K
    K

Just kidding :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    bondjames wrote: »
    As it is Kevin Spacey s birthday

When this came out, it was movie of the year for me. Nothing has changed. Such a powerful and smart script.
    Never heard of it but it looks quite interesting. I may have to check it out.

Do that. Criminally overlooked movie, and probably Spacey s best role.
    001 wrote: »

I find it has a boring story for my intellect.

You must be right about that.
    Magic (1978). Underseen, underappreciated horror classic. Great job by Anthony Hopkins!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I fully agree, sir. Kubrick's best in my humble o--you know, scrats that; simply the best film ever made.

After watching Strangers on a Train a few night ago, I took the time to revisit some films I haven't seen for quite some time.

The first one out was North by Northwest (1959), which is one of my all time favourite films - and never fails to amaze me. Hitchcock gives us a exciting and light-hearted adventure, which is perfect for Cary Grant. Has anyone looked so stylish in one of Hitchcock's movies?

After three Hitchcock-films in as many days (watched Rear Window before Strangers on a Train), I went on to see Mel Brooks' Hitchcock homage, High Anxiety (1977), which I had not seen for years. It was just as fun as I remembered it. Lovely 70's crime comedy this. Recommended if you are a fan of Hitch.

The third one was Silver Streak (1976). A crime comedy this as well, with Gene Wilder getting mixed up in a murder plot aboard a train from Los Angeles to Chicago. Some Hitchcockian elements in this one as well, and a cast which includes Richard Pryor as Wilder's partner in crime (pun intended), Richard Kiel, Clifton James and Patrick McGoohan. How's that for a Bond/spy cast! Also recommended!

Quite interesting these 70's crime/mystery-comedies. Foul Play (1978) is also similarly themed. Are there any other movies out there that falls into the same category?
    MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001)

100 movie critics voted this the best movie of the 21st century a couple of years ago. I don t agree with that verdict, but it is strangely exciting in that weird Lynch way.

I saw it when it was new, but could hardly remember anything except that hilarious hitman cene, so it was like seeing it for the first time again. Which is the best way to view this bizarre piece. It was still before Lynch became completely bonkers, though. (Lost Highway)
    MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001)

100 movie critics voted this the best movie of the 21st century a couple of years ago. I don t agree with that verdict, but it is strangely exciting in that weird Lynch way.

I saw it when it was new, but could hardly remember anything except that hilarious hitman cene, so it was like seeing it for the first time again. Which is the best way to view this bizarre piece. It was still before Lynch became completely bonkers, though. (Lost Highway)

It came out after Lost Highway.

I totally agree that it isn't one of the best films ever, but still a unique, mysterious film. IMO, an overrated piece that is still pretty good.
    You are of course right. I remember now that I saw Lost Highway in the cinema in the 90s. Thanks for the correction.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Believe it or not, today was the first day I'd ever seen Se7en, having picked it up on a whim.

I did not regret this purchase.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Believe it or not, today was the first day I'd ever seen Se7en, having picked it up on a whim.

@Agent007391, you sound happier than I was on my first watch of that film. Rough, that.
    Se7en is pretty decent. Honestly, like Mulholland Drive, I think it's a little overrated but still good. I personally prefer Fincher's Fight Club and Zodiac.
    Jack Reacher (2012)
    Excellent film.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 3,333
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Dunkirk (2017)
    Managed to see a showing in 70mm, and I would recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet, to seek one out as it does make a big difference! (The lady three seats up from me kept jumping out of her skin at every gunshot early on!)
    Verdict. Yes I did enjoy it, beautifully filmed and lensed, but it did leave me a little cold. or maybe that was the intention. Nolan didn't want individuals concentrated on, but I think his film suffers from it! The lead character 'Tommy', was very good, but it wasn't enough. And Tom Hardys heroics were laid on a bit thick!
    Nevertheless a great cinema experience (And it really needs to be seen in the cinema!)
    Zimmers tick tock score really gets the pulses racing, and the set pieces are thrilling!
    I didn't see it in 70mm but I did go to see it twice. Not because it was a particularly fantastic movie, but because out of the many Hollywood movies out this year, this and War for the Planet of the Apes were the only proper releases with a brain behind them worth seeing. I've seen a lot of dross at the cinema already this year and unbelievably it's still not quite August yet.

Anyway, a lot of what you say about Dunkirk I felt too. Another thing that bugged me was the beachfront looked practically empty considering there was meant to be something in the region of 450,000 evacuees there. I also felt the movie lacked the term "epic" in its scope, especially as we're talking the biggest evacuation of an army in military history. The flotilla of boats looked sparse, too. There was meant to over 800 small boats, but it only looked like 50 at the most. Everything felt scaled back and not truly representative of the actual events. What I did enjoy was the Spitfire aerial battles, and I liked hearing Michael Cain's voice coming over the radio to Tom Hardy's pilot, especially as he himself had played a spitfire pilot in the superior Harry Saltzman's Battle of Britain movie. I recommend people checkout both the 1958 Dunkirk movie, plus the French 1964 "Week-end à Zuydcoote" as well if they enjoyed Nolan's film, as it's always good to cross-check versions. Still, despite having some serious niggles about Dunkirk, it's still the best intelligent movie to come out this year so far, apart from the Apes movie.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Great film that stands up to repeated viewings.

Cast, script, direction, everything works superbly.

I remember seeing it at the cinema and the audience walking out looking shell-shocked!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I remember seeing it at the cinema and the audience walking out looking shell-shocked!

That must've been wild to experience in its original theatrical run.
    I didn t care for Se7en. Seen it all before and 100 times better.

That must've been wild to experience in its original theatrical run.

Oh it was. I'd never had my heart beat so fast with that sense of foreboding as they drive to John Doe's rendezvous in the desert.

Brilliant film.

Left the cinema drained but exhilarated.
    I didn t care for Se7en. Seen it all before and 100 times better.

Care to enlighten us...?