Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondsum, I got that vibe from some of those 'Dunkirk' trailers, as well (haven't seen the film myself) - given it was such an incredibly massive evacuation, all the action and more tense scenes seemed rather devoid of people, boats, what have you.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t care for Se7en. Seen it all before and 100 times better.

Care to enlighten us...?

About what? I have enjoyed similar films in the past, but I didn t care for that one. I found it boring and unoriginal.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I didn t care for Se7en. Seen it all before and 100 times better.

Care to enlighten us...?

About what? I have enjoyed similar films in the past, but I didn t care for that one. I found it boring and unoriginal.

Well such as naming all (or even one) of those 'similar' films to Se7en.

There had certainly been serial killer films up til then but I can't remember anything that Se7en resembled, especially In regards to its plot and incredibly well worked ending.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have seen many film like Se7en since its release and none came even close. There were some edgier killer films in the 70s and 80s (and even before that) but the way Fincher handled the material was rather fresh and new in my opinion.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I have seen many film like Se7en since its release and none came even close. There were some edgier killer films in the 70s and 80s (and even before that) but the way Fincher handled the material was rather fresh and new in my opinion.

When I first saw it advertised it looked like a generic thriller. Boy was I wrong!

Nothing prepared you for the feeling of sheer dread that permeates the film. From the moment I watched those disturbing titles accompanied by Nine Inch Nails 'Closer' I was hooked.

You're right @DarthDimi Fincher's handling of the material was a fresh and exciting approach to familiar territory.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Se7en is one of my favourite films.

Yes its familiar territory but its about the atmosphere and two three central performances.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It's been a long time since I've seen Se7en. Very good film indeed. I agree that it was a 'film ahead'. Sort of the next level in thrillers. Up until that time most films in the genre were following the Jagged Edge (another film that set the tone for an era) or Basic Instinct template. Se7en dialled it all up a notch and took it into graphic horror thriller territory.
    Well, it just didn t do it for me.

BATMAN: THE MOVIE (1966)
    51B63R5GNGL.jpg
    Probably the silliest movie I have seen my whole life, but I do realize it was aimed at little kids, and there are a few absolutely hilarious scenes. Such as the shark hanging on to the "batladder" and trying to get rid of the bomb.

I saw a few episodes of the tv show before, and that was fun enough, but a whole movie is just too much for me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You gotta love Miss Kitka though. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Thunderfinger, I surmise that your disinterest in Se7en comes from your own experience as a serial killer, which no piece of film could ever match up. How many bodies are under your basement's cement? HOW MANY?!
    Soon Ei8ht.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I disliked the ending of Se7en intensely. It lingered in it's own cleverness. There's a point at which no man on this Earth would listen or talk. You know the moment. And it dragged on seemingly forever. Not sayin' it wasn't an intense movie, just that I couldn't buy it. Just like in The Exorcist when Reagan's head did the 360- it scared the shit out of most, but it just made me laugh. Keep it simple is all.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I disliked the ending of Se7en intensely. It lingered in it's own cleverness. There's a point at which no man on this Earth would listen or talk. You know the moment. And it dragged on seemingly forever. Not sayin' it wasn't an intense movie, just that I couldn't buy it. Just like in The Exorcist when Reagan's head did the 360- it scared the shit out of most, but it just made me laugh. Keep it simple is all.

I totally get that, @chrisisall, and I agree about The Exorcist too. You could've told me the movie was a horror comedy and I'd have believed you. The hilarious nature of a possessed Reagan as she calls the priest obscene and off-color names is more funny and in greater number than the content in the movie that is meant to be unsettling.
    BLACULA (1972)

I thought this was meant to be a comedy/satire, but that isn t the case. It was just a plain dreadful movie. I had a couple of laughs just the same, but I cannot recommend it. I am shocked to learn it even had a sequel. Well, I am not seeing that.

BLACULA (1972)

I thought this was meant to be a comedy/satire, but that isn t the case. It was just a plain dreadful movie. I had a couple of laughs just the same, but I cannot recommend it. I am shocked to learn it even had a sequel. Well, I am not seeing that.

I've never seen it, but have been thinking about checking it out. Any highlights to mention?

Blacula have also been featured on The Simpsons:
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Ghost in the Shell
    maxresdefault.jpg
    I didn't get the chance to see this in theaters but I almost bought it but I'm glad I didn't not because I didn't like it but because it wasn't as good as I was hoping. It doesn't deserve the hate it gets but it does have its flaws. When it's inevitably marked down at a cheaper price I'll buy it. I would like to see a sequel but I highly doubt we'll get one.

The Girl with All the Gifts
    The-Girl-With-All-The-Gifts-Poster.jpg?format=1500w
    I had never heard of this one until a family member mentioned it to me. I really enjoyed this zombie flick. While it does use the same themes you typically see in zombie movies, it still manages to make them feel original. Parts of it reminded me of the Playstation game The Last Of Us. I highly recommend this one.

Gifted
    giftedmovie.jpg?w=640
    This Marc Webb directed movie is really good. At times it makes you laugh, mad, and want to shed a tear. Someone once told me Chris Evans needs to stay Captain America for as long as he can because his career will be over if he does. I call B.S. because he has range in his acting abilities and this movie shows it.

I'm currently in the middle of The Lost City of Z but I had to stop it an hour short of it's ending. Once I'm done I'll put up a brief review but so far it's pretty decent.
    Torgeirtrap, there are several lowlights, but no highlights to speak of. My laughs were only due to how silly it is. It is supposed to be a romantic horror fantasy. The horror lies in how bad it is.
    Torgeirtrap, there are several lowlights, but no highlights to speak of. My laughs were only due to how silly it is. It is supposed to be a romantic horror fantasy. The horror lies in how bad it is.

Might skip this one, then. The clips I've seen doesn't present itself as a romantic horror fantasy at all, haha!
    Free Fire (2016)

Coming from the talented Ben Wheatley this was a massive let down.

Starts really well with an arms deal being negotiated in an abandoned Boston warehouse during the 70's. Trouble is once the deal goes sour and all hell breaks loose the film becomes a sort of screwball comedy. The action is silly and cartoonish with characters so blasé about getting shot it loses any suspense and any interest you may have had in the characters.

With a sterling cast completely wasted (Sharlto Copley is reliably good) this comes over as a cross between Reservoir Dogs and Shoot em' Up, without ever getting close to being as good as either of them.

From the guy who made the incredible Kill List, this is very disappointing.

And here I was, loving 'Free Fire' and debating rewatching it again already. I loved it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    John Wick 2. Not as good as the first film, but still entertaining.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And here I was, loving 'Free Fire' and debating rewatching it again already. I loved it.

Certainly won't be watching it again!

I just hope the cast were well rewarded for all that crawling around in the dirt!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Certainly won't be watching it again!

I just hope the cast were well rewarded for all that crawling around in the dirt!

Don't forget the accidental sifting through needles and gasoline!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My second favorite Brosnan movie, Dante's Peak. Also, my favorite movie about volcanoes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    BLACULA (1972)

I've never seen it, but have been thinking about checking it out. Any highlights to mention?
    The main highlight is the star, Shakespearean actor William Marshall (Father of the M-5 on Star Trek's "Ultimate Computer"), making what would otherwise be a mess sort of believable.
    He has a great voice.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Spider-Man: Homecoming. What a good, fun movie that was. Really enjoyed it.
    Spider-Man: Homecoming. What a good, fun movie that was. Really enjoyed it.

Did you notice the Batman reference? Just a subtle homage, really.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I did. I actually noticed a few subtle references to Batman.
    A few? Care to list them in spoiler tags?