Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be catching 'Atomic Blonde' in a few hours, can't wait. Anyone else had a chance to see it yet?
    I'll be seeing it in a few hours myself. It was a tossup between this or Dunkirk (this time in IMAX) again.

Looking forward to it.

Do share your thoughts once you've returned and I'll do the same. Curious to see how our opinions line up.
    Will do. I'm going in pretty much blind (I know nothing except for the trailer).

I know nothing, as well, past the trailers (I've watched endlessly).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    HIGHLANDER (1986)
    Sean.png

When this came out, it didn t make much fuzz, but I think its status has grown immensely over the years. I loved it already then and have seen it several times since, but now it must be 15 years since the last time, so another rewatch was in order.

It has some obvious flaws (mainly some 1980s cheese), but there are enough standout scenes for it to remain a special movie. The love story between Conner and Heather is the most powerful aspect of the whole thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    PLAYING BY HEART

63816_front.jpg

This 1998 bitter-sweet comedy features a stellar cast of stars from back then (and now) amongst whom a still charming Sean Connery. John Barry's score is a tear jerker. A film about people and love. There are worse ways to pass your time.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    HIGHLANDER (1986)
    Sean.png

When this came out, it didn t make much fuzz, but I think its status has grown immensely over the years. I loved it already then and have seen it several times since, but now it must be 15 years since the last time, so another rewatch was in order.

It has some obvious flaws (mainly some 1980s cheese), but there are enough standout scenes for it to remain a special movie. The love story between Conner and Heather is the most powerful aspect of the whole thing.

Such a great film. I really enjoyed a couple of the sequels, The Final Dimension and End Game. The Quickening and especially The Source were terrible. The TV show was good in it's day but doesn't hold up today.
    A few years back there were plans for a reboot and Ryan Reynolds was in talks to play Connor. I haven't heard anything else in a long while so I assume its been dropped. Hopefully someday it'll be picked back up.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    edited August 2017 Posts: 6,776
    Yeah, I love Highlander. It has a great premise that is explored in an interesting way (how immortality dooms you to lose your loved ones). Lambert, while not the most expressive actor, has a good amount of charisma. Connery adds a fair share of gravitas and helps to sell the story, while Brown makes for a memorable villain. Also, the film, with its considerable timespan and diverse locations, gradually builds an epic feel that adds to the climactic scenes. By the end, when Connor and the Kurgan are duking it out, you can feel the weight of time, of history and of people on their shoulders.

I love how Connor asks Ramirez how it (his immortality) happened, and Ramirez answers "Why does the sun come up?" Indeed, why is anything the way it is? Ultimately, it just is!

Edit: I forgot to mention I like Lambert's gravelly voice. It betrays Connor's age.
    Everything doesn t have to be explained, anyway. It is a fairytale.
    SIR BILLI

sir_billi_poster.jpg

Right okay. So, Sean Connery lends his coarse voice to the character of Sir Billi, a kind elderly man who takes care of a bunch of talking refugee animals. And he drives an Aston Martin. And Shirley Bassey provides a lovely Bondian song for the OT. And we hear a few Barry cues here and there.

Look, not my thing, but I guess for a <80 minutes film this thing is watchable. Plus, technically this could be considered Connery's final "acting" role in any film. Could have been worse. But it could also have been a lot -- A LOT -- better.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. Sir Billi plays it way too safe.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, it appears to be a kid's movie.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sir Billi the Kid movie ;-)
    Well I must say that Shirley's song "Guardian of the Highlands" is growing on me.

Sir Billi the Kid movie ;-)

Best pun I read all week.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    HIGHLANDER (1986)
    Sean.png

One of my favourite films of all time. The Queen/Michael Kamen score is sublime.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Birdleson, after reading your review of Dunkirk yesterday I did seek out a 70mm theatre in my area and was seriously considering seeing it again in that format anyway, so it's a coincidence that you mentioned it above. 'Sold' and I will see it next in 70mm.
    --

ATOMIC BLONDE
    (2017)
    FA1Ytfk.jpg
    Just got back and really enjoyed it! The film, set in the 80's during the fall of the Berlin Wall, lives up to the trailer which didn't missell it (unlike some other films). It has a very Euro, overcast aesthetic & is incredibly stylish & avante garde. It reminds me a little of John Wick (David Leitch is also the director here) with a bit of James Bond, Sin City & Kingsman thrown in for good measure. Oh, and there is also a bit of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Toby Jones stars here too) in it. The fight scenes are quite visceral and brutal as expected, and are for the most part filmed without obvious editing cuts. This is the opposite of QoS/Bourne style film making. Despite the different approach, one definitely feels every punch and kick, just as in those earlier films. The participants bleed, hurt and die horrifically. There is a lengthy sequence towards the end of the film that takes place throughout a highrise - it's one of the most gritty fight sequences I've seen on film. One really gets a feeling for how much effort goes into beating someone to pulp. Like a few other movies I've seen recently (Baby Driver) this film has a pulsating eclectic retro soundtrack which elevates it. Depeche Mode, New Order, George Michael, The Clash, David Bowie, Queen etc. Great stuff. The plot is a bit run of the mill & predictable however - NOC lists and double agents and what not. It drags a little in the middle too before picking up for the climax. That's not really the focus though.

What is then? Well, it's Charlize Theron as Lorraine Broughton, aka. the titular Atomic Blonde. She is absolutely brilliant here, and owns it from her first scene. Icy cold, sassy, stylishly beautiful, distant & yet deadly efficient, she holds the viewer's attention and is a delight to watch. How credible is Theron as an agent? Let me put it this way: if I heard she was after me I'd be far more frightened than if I heard Bond was (based on SP at least). Sofia Boutella (another actress known for being a kick 'a') is in this film too, and she's nothing next to Theron. James McAvoy has a meaty part as a fellow agent liaison stationed in West Berlin and is pretty decent too, but this is the Charlize show through and through.

I had mentioned on another thread recently that these new thrillers (like Wick, Kingsman etc.) should be a concern for Bond. This film confirms that assessment. While none have Bond's heritage, brand, reach or box office, they collectively chip away at OO7's once supreme dominance, because they focus in niches and do what they do supremely well while not being hampered by Bond 'expectations'. The stakes couldn't be higher for EON as they consider their options for B25. I hope they choose wisely.

Recommended to see Theron hopefully birth a new franchise. I can't wait for the sequel.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Great review- thanks @bondjames!
    My pleasure @chrisisall. There's a bit (just a bit) more plot here than John Wick, but the 'Blonde' herself is very much a cipher. We don't learn much about her background and yet Theron is compelling. Hope you enjoy.
    Pretty much in agreement there with you, @bondjames. It's definitely a lot more plot-driven than I had expected, but that's never a bad thing - just made the build-up between each highly impressive action sequence that much better. That ten-minute fight was totally batshit insane.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    From Paris With Love (2010)

Sometimes the best action movies are dumb and silly. I really enjoyed this one. Nothing game changing or remarkable but a fun way to kill 120 minutes. Plus who doesn't enjoy over the top John Travolta? :-bd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote: »

Sometimes the best action movies are dumb and silly. I really enjoyed this one. Nothing game changing or remarkable but a fun way to kill 120 minutes. Plus who doesn't enjoy over the top John Travolta? :-bd

@Murdock, were there any other Bond references other than the title in the film?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Glad to read that you enjoyed Atomic Blonde @Creasy47. Did it live up to your expectations? It exceeded mine (as I mentioned before, I didn't know anything about it going in, but didn't expect to have so much fun with it. I actually can't wait to see it again).
    --

I know this is not the correct thread for it, but I had an experience yesterday which rivals any film I've seen this year, and so am posting here:

Hans Zimmer Live

I had the opportunity to see the maestro in concert & it was a fantastic experience. The auditorium was packed and the show was a sonic treat. Mr. Zimmer is quite a down to earth, humble and humorous man, and it was fascinating to hear him recount stories of how he created some of the famous tracks (including directors like Ridley Scott or Chris Nolan calling him up at all hours of the day with ideas) and what inspired him. He also gave a touching tribute to Heath Ledger. Mr. Zimmer had a full orchestra, choir, instrumentalists and vocalists from all over the world on hand, many of whom have worked with him for decades. They seemed like a tight knit family who really work well together and inspire one another. Everyone gave it their all and brought each piece to life passionately.

Mr. Zimmer played most his classics, including tracks from Madagascar, Batman, Interstellar, Inception, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, The Lion King, Crimson Tide, Wonder Woman, Man of Steel etc. He reinterpreted a few of the tracks in a rock way, and perhaps that was for the North American audience or as a result of the venue. Some of the nuance was slightly lost as a result but conversely the jamming style worked for the live performance and the venue. He's currently on the North American leg of his tour and this is a spectacular 3 hour extravaganza worth catching if you can.

I now feel compelled to watch all of the films again! Thanks to @Jeffrey for recommending this.
    @bondjames, it absolutely did. Exactly what I had expected going in, albeit a bit more plot, which definitely isn't a bad thing. Can't wait to see it again.

20 years since I saw it. I loved it then, but was rather stoned, so wanted to see if it was as good as I remembered. It was. Magnificent movie, really amusing.

@Murdock, were there any other Bond references other than the title in the film?

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there were not. There was a Pulp Fiction reference though.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there were not. There was a Pulp Fiction reference though.

@Murdock, I'm sure it must involve Travolta's character talking about a burger called Royale with cheese he had in the field once?

@Murdock, I'm sure it must involve Travolta's character talking about a burger called Royale with cheese he had in the field once?

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 you are bang on the money! :-bd
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Transformers Age of Extinction second time watch, this film makes the first three look like masterpieces. Part 4 is utter garbage I have not seen the fifth film yet though my brother says it's even worse
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE (1933) / Fritz Lang
    mabuse7.jpg
    Lang is slowly becoming my favorite 30s/40s filmmaker.

TESTAMENT was his follow-up to M, and as in that film there's the sense of him playing with sound, feeling his way around it still, discovering it. The descriptor "silent film with sound" most definitely applies.

Hitch is the director most closely thought of as Bond progenitor, but for my money it was Lang. His influence is all over DN and GF, specifically Mabuse's. Part of that is down to the Mabuse source material being in the popular thriller style; part of it is that Lang himself was riffing on the FANTOMAS serial, which itself is rooted in popular thriller; and part of it is that Lang was helping to craft the visual language into which most subsequent thrillers would be translated (not only influencing film thrillers; wouldn't have been surprised to go back in time and see Fleming in the audience of this one, stoking his imagination). The ending nighttime car chase struck me as being particularly audacious for its time. In fact the whole film has a certain level of ambition when it comes to the amount of ideas packed into its two hours.

If you liked M, check it out.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    The last two:

LOGAN

This is the first X-Men film I actually sat down to watch with full attention. Not being familiar with these movies beyond the first two, it was quite a shock to find Logan and Xavier hiding in some rusty old place, with the professor in a such a terrible condition. The film was fairly touching, and had a serene, elegiac quality to it, even with all the action, some of it quite imaginative (especially the time halting). I really grew to feel for the three main characters.
    The funeral of the professor, with Logan barely managing to say a word, was a very emotional moment. The ending was satisfying and consistent with the established tone of the movie, in that there were no big victories: the kids managed to escape to safety, but in the end, the world hadn't changed. The mutants were still out of step in their time, with the world against them.
    Ultimately, the movie was a fulfilling experience.

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES

I watched this one on the recommendation of @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. All in all, a very good film. Nicholas Rowe and Alan Cox fill the roles of Holmes and Watson quite splendidly. Rowe, helped by his distinctive face, captures Holmes' quirky and restless personality, whereas Cox is endearing as Watson in a slightly clumsy, comedic version, reminiscent of Nigel Bruce's. Sophie Ward and her role of Elizabeth I found especially interesting: Quite frankly, as a character, Elizabeth doesn't have much depth; she's just basically there. And yet, she is always calm, collected, polite, charming. One can see why Holmes falls for her, and
    why her death causes him to become cold toward women, as he doesn't think he will ever find someone like her.
    It's almost as if her character doesn't require any depth: in a strange way, she's the one that holds everything in place, emotionally, and that's enough.

Generally speaking, the story of the movie holds one's attention: it has just the right touch of a larger-than-life quality to it, with its secret societies and religious fanatics. The main villain is compelling and has an interesting relationship with Holmes: half father-figure, half enemy. I also appreciate how little details are dropped throughout that hint at the man Holmes will become, especially regarding his emotions. However, I must say the plot seems slightly undercooked at times: one gets the general idea, but it could've been slightly more elaborate in the details, and cleared up a couple of things.
    How did Lestrade find Cragwitch? And why, exactly, did Rathe need Waxflatter to stay in the school? How was that necessary to exact his revenge on him?
    Crucially, I also think the film falls short in its display of Holmes' deductive prowess.
    The paraffin clue is fairly basic, and Holmes' realization that Rathe is Eh Tar is underexplained. I understand this is young Sherlock Holmes, but we could've seen a bit more of his ability to connect wildly diverging bits of information and arrive at a conclusion.
    I think these aspects keep the movie from reaching greatness.

At any rate, I like how the plot cleverly allows for a series of elaborate and fairly imaginative special effects sequences. I also appreciate how the film does not shy away from terror, death and violence simply because it's a family movie.

The set design and location work is exquisite: this is a world and an era I would like to visit! The music score is playful and engaging.

Shortcomings aside, I enjoyed this one a lot, and recommend it.

P.S.: I must say I love the poster with the magnifying glass!
    @mattjoes, glad you enjoyed it. I always find the atmosphere to be the most gripping thing: a snowy London, warm and rich prep school, spooky graveyard, heated and macabre temples; it really has it all.

The movie definitely builds to who Holmes becomes alongside Watson. My personal favorite moment is
    when the kids are eating dinner and, when he is asked what he wants to be when he grows up, Holmes doesn't name a career and says instead, "I never want to be alone." Though he lost his girl he unconsciously will fill that void with Watson as an older man, achieving his goal through their bond.

I really wish there had been sequels, as Rowe and Cox were brilliant together and I'd have taken them as youngsters or even now as grown men. I know they played Holmes and Watson again for a one and done stage event not long ago, but I want a feature film, dammit.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,874
    Strog wrote: »
    THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE (1933) / Fritz Lang
    mabuse7.jpg
    Lang is slowly becoming my favorite 30s/40s filmmaker.

TESTAMENT was his follow-up to M, and as in that film there's the sense of him playing with sound, feeling his way around it still, discovering it. The descriptor "silent film with sound" most definitely applies.

Hitch is the director most closely thought of as Bond progenitor, but for my money it was Lang. His influence is all over DN and GF, specifically Mabuse's. Part of that is down to the Mabuse source material being in the popular thriller style; part of it is that Lang himself was riffing on the FANTOMAS serial, which itself is rooted in popular thriller; and part of it is that Lang was helping to craft the visual language into which most subsequent thrillers would be translated (not only influencing film thrillers; wouldn't have been surprised to go back in time and see Fleming in the audience of this one, stoking his imagination). The ending nighttime car chase struck me as being particularly audacious for its time. In fact the whole film has a certain level of ambition when it comes to the amount of ideas packed into its two hours.

@Strog, If you liked M, check it out.

Have you seen Lang's Spione, [Spys], there is so much there that influenced the Bond universe. It's a silent, but just check out the opening few minutes, awesome.