The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, I did enjoy it and possibly if it had become a series, could have become
    better. Obviously aimed for the American market with the saint saying "Gas"
    instead of "petrol " . Also part of the soundtrack sounded very like " New Digs "
    From the Skyfall score.
    I enjoyed the fights and his female associate , some nice bits of humour too.
    I really want to watch it. Now with the sad passing away of Roger Moore, maybe it is time for people to rediscover the Saint and revisit it. He was always obscured by Bond, especially when Sir Rog became 007.
    Where is this available to view?
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Bittorrent sites have it.

If you wanna pay for it... on iTunes and the Playstation store for £7.99.
    Look what I found the other day :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6-9LnR9g7DG9OzfkDmse5ZBa8qNkhfNOat7v7jKSxm3qD3g0W
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I know the director, Ernie Barbarash-- I didn't know he directed this. I'm going to email him and ask what the deal is...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    peter wrote: »
    I know the director, Ernie Barbarash-- I didn't know he directed this. I'm going to email him and ask what the deal is...
    The original pilot episode, when I read it, was directed by Simon West. Never heard of Barbarash until recently, so he must have taken over the project after the backdoor pilot was retooled as a TV Film and additional scenes were shot a year and half ago.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2017 Posts: 8,255
    That's what I'm guessing too @ClarkDevlin . I just fired him an email. He's a really nice guy, background in a lot of the Van Damme VOD films. He's excellent with action.
    From what I've read on this thread, the reshoots may explain why the Saint has a beard, shaves off his beard, and the beard returns at the end of the story! Doesn't look right as if the chronology is all out of sync. Also makes Simon Templar seem like 'random bloke' with a beard.

I don't recall any story reason why Templar had to have a beard. He wasn't captured like Bond in DAD.

Rayner couldn't have shaved the beard. He was still part of Tyrant when doing these reshoots.
    And the Saint on occasion used a beard as a disguise in the books.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Moore did it in his series, too.
    Indeed so that did not bother me at all, I found it kinda refreshing.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Wasn't the 1997 film The Saint starring Val Kilmer full of disguises? Not seen it yet, (have a copy of it though) but I gather this is the case, anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(1997_film)
    Yes, he was. But, perhaps a bit too much.
    Yes, he was. But, perhaps a bit too much.

Yes, though I gather this was a rather loose adaptation of Charteris' character. I think Sir Roger has a voice cameo in it, which was a nice touch I guess.
    Val Kilmers' Saint was actually quite a decent attempt of showing the Saint finally what he was a rogue and adventurer. His disguises were quite fun and well done. The story did leave a tad desired and at the end there was a voice cameo of Roger Moore indeed.

I still think that it was the wrong team for the job, they were not in it to start a new franchise the muddled that up.

If you ever read the novelization as written by Burl Barer you find yourself in fanboy twilight zone Raymond Benson never went that far with 007 in his books.
    Val Kilmers' Saint was actually quite a decent attempt of showing the Saint finally what he was a rogue and adventurer. His disguises were quite fun and well done. The story did leave a tad desired and at the end there was a voice cameo of Roger Moore indeed.

I still think that it was the wrong team for the job, they were not in it to start a new franchise the muddled that up.

If you ever read the novelization as written by Burl Barer you find yourself in fanboy twilight zone Raymond Benson never went that far with 007 in his books.

I have a few of Burl Barer's books on The Saint and am in fact friends with him on Facebook!

Are you saying his novelisation was really good or bad?
    why is this topic suddenly so....hot?
    It was not really great is covering it mostly in an nice way. He did write another Saint novel that is only available through the Saint club and I never got my hands on it so I cannot remark upon its quality.
    However his The Saint: A Complete History in Print, Radio, Film and Television of Leslie Charteris' Robin Hood of Modern Crime, Simon Templar, 1928-1992 is a must read if you want to know everything about the Saint in most guises.
    Because the most recent iteration of the character in media (a TV pilot) has been made available online.
    I've no problem with the Saint being an adventurer or a rogue. It was his characterization that was wholly wrong in the Val Kilmer movie. They made him vulnerable and weak whereas Simon Templar is intentionally the opposite. Never bothered with the novelization.
    I've no problem with the Saint being an adventurer or a rogue. It was his characterization that was wholly wrong in the Val Kilmer movie. They made him vulnerable and weak whereas Simon Templar is intentionally the opposite. Never bothered with the novelization.

As i have most Saintly books on my shelves in various languages I found that I could not pass up the Barer Saint novel as I really love his big work on him. "Capture the Saint" has always evaded me I got outbid everytime on eBay when one was up for sale.

As for the weakness part I can agree, they are pulling the same stuff with Craigs 007 and it does not really work. But I loved the clever disguises and the movie could have been better especially in Russia the ending I prefer the cut scene in the mansion with the confrontation with the baddies son. It would have given the movie a better dynamic and the Saint more of an action hero.
    why is this topic suddenly so....hot?

The Saint has always been hot, now that there is a movie out we get to enjoy talking about the character, his movies and writings.
    It was not really great is covering it mostly in an nice way. He did write another Saint novel that is only available through the Saint club and I never got my hands on it so I cannot remark upon its quality.
    However his The Saint: A Complete History in Print, Radio, Film and Television of Leslie Charteris' Robin Hood of Modern Crime, Simon Templar, 1928-1992 is a must read if you want to know everything about the Saint in most guises.

Yes, I have that one, thanks, @SaintMark. It looks very thorough indeed!
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121

Seen most of Moore's Saint episodes - can't recall him with a beard. Always looked clean shaven to me. Perhaps there was a rare episode where he was in disguise but I can't think of one that comes to mind. Moore's Saint seemed quite open about his identity. Indeed, it was an integral part of the pre-credit scene. Simon Templar would help someone in the pre-credit scene and they'd mention his name "It's Simon Templar - the Saint!" and Templar would look up at his halo and the theme tune would begin.

I can't recall Ian Ogilvy's Saint wearing any disguise/a beard.

It's not the beard that is the problem: if the Saint has one, however briefly, it has to be explained.
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Seen most of Moore's Saint episodes - can't recall him with a beard. Always looked clean shaven to me. Perhaps there was a rare episode where he was in disguise but I can't think of one that comes to mind. Moore's Saint seemed quite open about his identity. Indeed, it was an integral part of the pre-credit scene. Simon Templar would help someone in the pre-credit scene and they'd mention his name "It's Simon Templar - the Saint!" and Templar would look up at his halo and the theme tune would begin.

I can't recall Ian Ogilvy's Saint wearing any disguise/a beard.
    Two episodes in Season 2 alone had Moore disguised with a beard, one of which co-starred Oliver Reed.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Bearded Saint ;)

640px-Lubberssaint10459.jpg