The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

Nice poster. Thinks are looking up even better!
    So if it isn't picked up by a network is the pilot ever going to see the light of day? Haven't kept up with this since Purefoy was supposedly cast in the lead role, would love to see it get picked up by a network.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited April 2013 Posts: 1,182
    According to the official programme of MIPTV, the pilot will be shown tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some good news!

Here's another poster from the official Leslie Charteris website:

adamposter.th.jpg
    From today's Broadcast website:

Parade’s End producer Michele Buck has come on board the US remake of The Saint as its producers look to secure a UK broadcast partner.

The pilot has been produced by the television division of MPCA, the production company set up by Dumb and Dumber producer Brad Krevoy, with Mammoth Screen managing director Buck joining as an executive producer.

“Michele’s expertise in the UK television market is unrivalled, as is her solid track record of quality productions,” said Krevoy. “We know her creative expertise will design The Saint to attract a commission from a UK broadcaster.”

Spy thriller The Saint was created by Leslie Charteris and aired on ITV between 1962 and 1969. The ITC-produced series starred Roger Moore as Simon Templar, a suave and sophisticated secret agent and thief who solves mysteries.

The remake stars Hunted’s Adam Rayner as Simon Templar and Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Dushku as his on-off romantic partner Patricia Holm. Moore, a coproducer of the remake, also made a cameo appearance in the pilot.

British director Simon West, who has directed the pilot of Fox’s comic book adaptation Human Target and The Expendables 2, directed the pilot, which was written by Heroes and Hannibal writer Jesse Alexander.

Ian Dickerson, an expert on Charteris’ work, is a creative consultant on the project, while Francisco González’s, vice president of MPCA’s international sales division was distributing it at MipTV.

MPCA is financing the project and will begin filming the remainder of the season in July in the UK and the US. It is currently in negotiations with a number of US broadcasters. O:-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Nice to see this going somewhere. It will have at least one series then. Hope to hear more on who will air it soon.
    Great news! Been waiting to hear more news on this? The UK awaits!
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11141&t=mi6&s=news

I wonder if Eon will have their eye on this Rayner chap as a future James Bond.
    As with nearly all current suggestions, he'll be a little too old.

I want to see this new series, mind. Hopefully soon.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,594
    He's only 36 now but by the time 'The Saint' series finishes, presuming it will be successful, I guess he'll be too old.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's good to see Roger on the Screen again. :)
    Certainly is! Looking forward to this series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh man, this looks EPIC!!!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It does look promising. :) I am not sure about Eliza Dushko, though, as Patricia Holm. We shall see. I definitely plan on watching it when I can. I've always loved The Saint.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 820
    It does look promising. :) I am not sure about Eliza Dushko, though, as Patricia Holm. We shall see. I definitely plan on watching it when I can. I've always loved The Saint.
    So do I I got a compete collection DVD of all the Saint including Simon Dutton & Val Kilmer although his was hopeless. But I thought I should collect it.
    Well we disagree about Val Kilmer; I really enjoyed him as the Saint. :) Not the usual take on it, no, but for me he was fine and had great chemistry with Elizabeth Shue.
    Lets hope that this pilot ever sees the light of day as a possible series have already been halted and the lead actor is already gone to another production. :((
  • Don't jump to conclusions. We are still working on a series and hope to make formal announcements soon.
    Thanks for the update @HoppyUniatz. Best of luck.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 7,653
    Lets hope that this pilot ever sees the light of day as a possible series have already been halted and the lead actor is already gone to another production. :((
    Don't jump to conclusions. We are still working on a series and hope to make formal announcements soon.

That was the word you lot put out there together with the article or Rayner being involved in another series.

This is the first time I read anything else about it. So I am not jumping to conclusions but after the story of Rayner being in another series nothing else was communicated.

I do want that series, and am all in favour.

Even if all the formal announcements do make me anticipate somewhat less over the years as I get dissapointed every time.

• How were you not jumping to conclusions?

You said " a possible series have already been halted". You were either jumping to conclusions or you've managed to hack the IT networks for the guys Stateside or got access to my laptop. And if you had managed that, you got it wrong anyway.

Just because we can't make any announcements doesn't mean work on a series has been halted. Very much the opposite in fact--a dedicated team is working very hard on this and has been for months, at the expense of some of our other work.

What we have learnt from this experience is that we'll say nothing until contracts have been signed.
    Well, I think there are tons of Saint fans who'd love the new series, so we shall keep listening for word on it. I understand about not saying anything until contracts are signed; good point, of course. Thanks for info as it becomes something to share.
    How were you not jumping to conclusions?

You said " a possible series have already been halted". You were either jumping to conclusions or you've managed to hack the IT networks for the guys Stateside or got access to my laptop. And if you had managed that, you got it wrong anyway.

Just because we can't make any announcements doesn't mean work on a series has been halted. Very much the opposite in fact--a dedicated team is working very hard on this and has been for months, at the expense of some of our other work.

What we have learnt from this experience is that we'll say nothing until contracts have been signed.

19 August 2013

Screencrush, among others, are reporting:

"FX's upcoming drama ‘Tyrant‘ has made a few strong pushes in its casting thus far, but has finally elected its leader. UK actor Adam Rayner nabbed the main lead, the head of a family that finds itself embroiled in Middle Eastern politics, though Rayner’s casting will likely take precedence over the actor’s starring role in the proposed ‘Saint‘ reboot.

Via Deadline, we’ve learned that Rayner will take the role of Barry, head to the unassuming family that ends up caught in a world of political intrigue. ‘Weeds‘ star Justin Kirk will play mysterious American diplomat John Tucker, while former ‘Mob Doctor’ Jordana Spiro will take the role of Dana, wife to Kirk’s Tucker, with whom she works at the American Embassy as a cultural attaché.

Developed by ‘Homeland’ producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff, along with ‘LOST’ writer Craig Wright, ‘Tyrant’ centers on a family (Barry, Molly and children) that gets drawn into Middle Eastern politics when an Arab state dictator dies and leaves his American son as the new head of the country. ‘Life of Pi‘ director Ang Lee had originally signed on to helm the pilot episode but was later replaced by ‘Harry Potter‘ franchise vet David Yates.

For his part, Rayner filmed the title role in a proposed reboot of ‘The Saint’ with Eliza Dushku and Roger Moore, though the project seems to have failed in taking off."

Tyrant is set to go into production later this year, with filming set to go ahead in Morocco. It's almost certain that FX will pick-up the series.

I guess the trade magazines jumped to conclusions too!

Really like the look of the trailer! Hopefully bodes well for the future! Great to see dear old Roger on the screen again! :D
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 820
    Agent7F wrote:
    So do I I got a compete collection DVD of all the Saint including Simon Dutton & Val Kilmer although his was hopeless. But I thought I should collect it.
    I just recently read the line in this web it great news the new Saint series get green light I hope for few years or more I be looking forward to the new Saint Series. Maybe he'll have his Saint mobile What ever his cars but not please. I got the Return of The Saint Mobile not Volvo The Jaguar XJS. By Corgi.

• RC7RC7
    Looks like they're going again with The Saint, after the Rayner flop. They're getting Chris Lunt to write a new version, with a more British feel.
    RC7 wrote:
    Looks like they're going again with The Saint, after the Rayner flop. They're getting Chris Lunt to write a new version, with a more British feel.

I read that too, I guess nobody wanted to buy the series of that pilot that was made.

I do hope we get to see that pilot one day.

I would hope that they would return the Saint to his pre-WOII days, which coincidentely is where most of my favorites from the book series are happening.

• edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Is this actor playing Templar British ? EDIT : just checked : born in Shrewsbury,UK...good !!!

And if Purefoy was screen tested twice as Bond i would love to see footage of.There must be something out there somewhere !
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 802
    SaintMark wrote:
    I would hope that they would return the Saint to his pre-WOII days, which coincidentally is where most of my favourites from the book series are happening.
    I couldn't agree more with "SaintMark". The whole ethos of 'The Saint' is firmly rooted in the pre-war years and the only chance of success with such a project is to retro style it a la Boardwalk Empire. That way you could really play to the strengths that made the early books so great; the high glamorous style and tone, the gentleman Robin Hood that robbed the rich and protected the vulnerable, the battles with criminal gangs etc.. and the complete Englishness of the whole thing.
    Frankly, any modern day reboot will just squeeze out every ounce of originality and render it irrelevant to today's audience.
    To be honest, when I saw the trailer featuring Raynor, my heart sank — it was such an obvious turkey!

I just saw in coming Soon Paramount, is to put The Saint back on Big Screen. Here the proof.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/696561-the-saint-movie I don't who got in suggestion to play him. Some one the post said he does want him in new Volvo but he favour him in Bentley.
    Just saw the trailer. Is it only me or they seem to have borrowed a lot from SP?