Films You Want A Sequel To

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 12,980
    I forgot about this one. There has to be a filmmaker Harlan Ellison can work with.

A GIRL AND HER DOG
    3212257209b1744ccdd2adb461d57f4b-d5tu1qe.jpg
    20142_2.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know it wasn't a huge hit back in 1997, but an actual sequel to Starship Troopers. Yes, I know they made two straight to DVD sequels but they were trash. I always wanted to see one continuing the story from the first film with the original cast.

This may be as close as you get.

• I know it wasn't a huge hit back in 1997, but an actual sequel to Starship Troopers. Yes, I know they made two straight to DVD sequels but they were trash. I always wanted to see one continuing the story from the first film with the original cast.

Yes, this would have been awesome. All the potential was there: you had Casper Van Dien, Denise Richards, and Neil Patrick Harris in their newly promoted positions, Basil Poledouris writing the music, Paul Verhoeven leading the charge, cutting edge special effects, the war was still raging on. I don't know why it didn't happen. I think the film wasn't terribly well received when it came out though. I think it's only gained appreciation more recently. I don't think the critics really got the whole gung ho action flick meets cheesy war satire thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I know it wasn't a huge hit back in 1997, but an actual sequel to Starship Troopers. Yes, I know they made two straight to DVD sequels but they were trash. I always wanted to see one continuing the story from the first film with the original cast.

I honestly think that the animated ST is a decent "sequel" (of sorts) to the original film. The stdvd sequels were, as you correctly pointed out, trash of the worst kind.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I think it wasn't made because it wasn't much of a hit as they maybe were anticipating. I would consistently watch it during the late 90s and early 2000s. My dad would always switch it off during the sex scenes and then back on. They made two PC games which I bought and played alot. Perhaps it was just a one hit movie but it had set it up for something potentially bigger.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another Sin City would be nice.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Never even seen the first 2
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The first was good, the second wasn't.
    They were both outstanding.
    I too agree that Sin City 2 had some greatness but I guess the novelty had worn off immediately after the original's release. And with The Spirit attempting some black-and-white with artistic tricks too, I suppose the audiences had had enough for a long time. No matter how much time had passed since Sin City, the sequel still came too soon. Strange. But still, it is a good film and Eva Green is yummy as usual. ;-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I only saw the 2nd Sin City once. It was ok, but didn't grab me like the first one. I'm not really sure why. I don't think it was necessarily because the black and white style had become passe for me.

Rather, I recall being disappointed that some of the interesting characters/actors in the original weren't back for the sequel, particularly Clive Owen's Dwight McCarthy (Brolin was ok but Owen was better imho) & Devon Aoki's deadly Miho (Jamie Chung didn't hold a candle to her). Additionally, I felt that Eva Green's character was a bit predictable (Green seems to have this shtick which she does in a lot of films: namely the evil temptress). It didn't help that she also starred in the 300 sequel during the same year.

Finally, I'm not a fan of Gordon-Levitt in anything. Like Farrell & Le Boeuf, he is almost the kiss of death for me.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Howard the Duck 2.

I do love a bit of bestiality.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Honey, I shrunk the grandkids.

Come back Rick Moranis we miss you. ;)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Team America.
    I'm against this one.

tumblr_n3q0snQJxD1tuz9nro1_500.jpg
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    T2: trainspotting
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    Master And Commander. Heartbreaking that there isn't one.
    jonah_hex_keyart.jpg?itok=Risgb3fb
    Oh boy, @Thunderfinger, now you're really shaking my confidence in your mental stability. :D
    So you didn t like it? I loved it.
    It was comedic gold and I have a weak spot for Megan Fox, but other than that... no sir.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Big Lebowski.
    The Big Lebowski. They really have to.
    indexfff.jpg?w=736download%2B%25282%2529.jpgfarewell%2Bcover.jpg
    Spectre
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Another Jaws & Deep Blue Sea.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Another Jaws & Deep Blue Sea.

The latter is getting a sequel on Syfy. Likely won't be as good as the first, but it's something for you.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think you all missed the other Jaws movies. ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Deep Blue Sea is getting a sequel? News to me.
    Yeah it'll be called Deep Blue Sea Return of the Shark that Ate Samuel L Jackson
  • Deep Blue Sea is getting a sequel? News to me.

That's probably because there isn't much news there. Like Creasy said, it's a SyFy channel production—which means no-names, atrocious CGI, and an even worse script. And best of all, probably very little connection to the original apart from a name drop or two. It's DBSINO (Deep Blue Sea In Name Only). Just an excuse to sell another cheapo shark movie.