Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This woman is pregnant with the next Bond
    Cheryl-pregnant-baby-bump-726144.jpg

And she is pregnant with the next Bloferhauser
    rs_634x1024-150314122812-634-jennifer-love-hewitt-baby-bump.jw.31415.jpg
    That is also the next Bond car.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,119
    Can I say something regarding Craig's new role in "Logan Lucky"? Damn, am I looking forward to it. Finally Steven Soderbergh is doing a proper, funny heist movie again. And from what I've seen from Daniel Craig, I think he'll be seriously noticed for his wonderful portrayal in this film:

Now we know Daniel Craig -officially- is now co-producer of the James Bond films. We know his ideas are usually picked up by the Bond producers. For instance director Sam Mendes was basically his idea for the Bond films, after he worked with Mendes on "Road To Perdition" and kept in close contact ever since.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Craig would ring Greg, Barbara and Michael, saying that they should consider Steven Soderbergh for the next Bond film. I think it would be a nice choice. And since "Logan Lucky" is mostly situated at the Nascar race events, perhaps they could consider doing some "Murder On Wheels" for Bond #25 ;-). And infusing a bit more humour in the next film as well.
    Soderbergh would be an interesting choice. I'd expect a Hamiltonesque entry
    Getafix wrote: »
    Soderbergh would be an interesting choice.

Absolutely!
    Still, judging from the last two movies I would prefer to have Craig kept out of the production process (actors of future Bond included as well).
    To my mind the only good input he gave where the SHARP looking suits of QoS.
    There's a reason why God created specialization. Let the actors to the acting, the writers do the writing, ... you get the picture.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed, and we're long overdue for one of those.
    Still, judging from the last two movies I would prefer to have Craig kept out of the production process (actors of future Bond included as well).
    There's a reason why God created specialization. Let the actors to the acting, the writers do the writing, ... you get the picture.
    Agreed as well, and did Craig really have input into the suits in QoS? I thought that was Louise Frogley's work alone (at least in terms of suit 'cuts'. I assume Craig had input into switching to Ford from Brioni). The suits in SF/SP are more up Craig's alley (at least in terms of the kind of constricting stuff he wears outside of Bond).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed, and we're long overdue for one of those.
    Agreed as well, and did Craig really have input into the suits in QoS? I thought that was Louise Frogley's work alone (at least in terms of suit 'cuts'. I assume Craig had input into switching to Ford from Brioni). The suits in SF/SP are more up Craig's alley (at least in terms of the kind of constricting stuff he wears outside of Bond).

Oh okay, I didn't know that. I thought he brought Ford on board and Ford designed the suits.
    However, to me this movie is his optical climax in the role. From the smoothness of his hairstyle to especially the suits it's his only film in which I really can imagine him as James Bond.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Sometimes having too much personal control of something is a bad thing. Such is the case of Craig & The Tight Arse Suits.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Sometimes having too much personal control of something is a bad thing. Such is the case of Craig & The Tight Arse Suits.
    +1. Not to mention, the knack for having a personal (and emotional) angle to the story. That puts me off big time.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,767
    +1. Not to mention, the knack for having a personal (and emotional) angle to the story. That puts me off big time.
    The key point is bringing in a director who doesn´t have the slightest. People complain about Forster, but as far as Bond is concerned, he was endlessly more to the point than what came after.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Agreed! He needs to go back to the QoS fitting.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    doubleoego wrote: »

Agreed! He needs to go back to the QoS fitting.
    Seconded.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    The key point is bringing in a director who doesn´t have the slightest. People complain about Forster, but as far as Bond is concerned, he was endlessly more to the point than what came after.

Well, that's all a matter of opinion. Like so many fans, we tend to 'destroy' our own franchise with words when certain films don't meet our expectations. For me, SF and SP were top films. Certainly not in the Bottom 10 of worst Bond films.

Yet, I do think Steven Soderbergh can bring some 'fun' to Bond #25 that we haven't seen with the Craig era of films yet, except perhaps SP. I think Soderbergh could do something very nice with "Trigger Mortis" or "Murder On Wheels". A Bond film predominantly set in the USA racing milieu. Would love that.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,425
    I want the next one to start with a PTS where a 00 agent is being hunted and killed a la OP. No Bond at all. Then post titles Big Ben and Bond in M's office. Bond is sent off to sniff around and find out what happened. I want a plot with a Soderbergh twist - something genuinely surprising but not some BS personal background nonsense. Bond on his own apart perhaps from a local ally. Denouement in the mountains of Japan with a touch of an OHMSS homage. A scene in a onsen will obviously be required along the way - perhaps Bond is lured into one only to have a near death experience. I want extensive location footage in Japan so you get a real feel for the place. No Aston Martins please.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I want the next one to start with a PTS where a 00 agent is being hunted and killed a la OP.

I definitely want to see a PTS without Bond there. I think it's a smart move to have some genuine intrigue and unpredictability to start the film, and having Bond around means there can only be one outcome.
    I want the next one to start with a PTS where a 00 agent is being hunted and killed a la OP. No Bond at all. Then post titles Big Ben and Bond in M's office. Bond is sent off to sniff around and find out what happened. I want a plot with a Soderbergh twist - something genuinely surprising but not some BS personal background nonsense. Bond on his own apart perhaps from a local ally. Denouement in the mountains of Japan with a touch of an OHMSS homage. A scene in a onsen will obviously be required along the way - perhaps Bond is lured into one only to have a near death experience. I want extensive location footage in Japan so you get a real feel for the place. No Aston Martins please.

I would take all of that in a heartbeat.
    I want the next one to start with a PTS where a 00 agent is being hunted and killed a la OP.

I definitely want to see a PTS without Bond there. I think it's a smart move to have some genuine intrigue and unpredictability to start the film, and having Bond around means there can only be one outcome.

That never really occurred to me, but you're absolutely right about that.
    One of the better PTS, in my opinion. It shows that Bond can be introduced later on, to great effect. That PTS really sets up the plot nicely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    One of the better PTS, in my opinion. It shows that Bond can be introduced later on, to great effect. That PTS really sets up the plot nicely.
    @Torgeirtrap, OP's PTS did feature Bond in Cuba in the little Acrostar Bede Jet. The clown bit was in the post-titles sequence. Having said that, it could easily have been the PTS, and I agree that a non-Bond PTS (especially where someone is chased and killed) could work nicely.

I personally like the FRWL & TMWTGG PTS myself. They both feature Bond and don't feature Bond (in the case of the former it's a Russian in disguise and in the case of the latter it's a mannequin).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Except that it just isn t so. The pts is Bond in Latin America.

But it could have just as easily worked as the PTS.

Would have worked better actually. The actual OP PTS is a bit lame.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,087

Would have worked better actually. The actual OP PTS is a bit lame.

And I'm not really a fan of the PTS that aren't connected to anything. Even a tangential link like the one in TLD, is better than nothing.
    I kind of agree. Although the GF PTS is sublime.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Wish eon would give us a bond to chew on.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    daniel-craig-popsicle-640x533.jpg
    There's a chocolate sailor!
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Murdock wrote: »
    daniel-craig-popsicle-640x533.jpg
    Is that Idris Elba?

• edited June 2017 Posts: 17,293
    Oh my, how could I get that mixed up! About time I watch OP again, I think, haha!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    The actual OP PTS is a bit lame.

Do me a favour.

'Fill her up please' and an impossibly smug grin? Utterky sublime Rog.

In fact of the Rog era there's only TSWLM or MR that rival it and MR's incredible stuntwork is let down a bit by the Jaws debacle.
    The actual OP PTS is a bit lame.

Do me a favour.

'Fill her up please' and an impossibly smug grin? Utterky sublime Rog.

In fact of the Rog era there's only TSWLM or MR that rival it and MR's incredible stuntwork is let down a bit by the Jaws debacle.

I love OP and think it's got a good case for the most underrated film of the series but I agree with @Getafix here. The PTS itself is fine but I think it feels more tacked on than any other, we don't even get the "where's 007" moment or some small link to the plot, it literally has nothing to do with the rest of the film. It's unnecessary and is only there for the sake of box ticking, a big action scene at the start just because that's what the audience had come to expect. If OP had been made ten years earlier the film definitely would have opened with the clown hunt and been all the better for it imo. That's a brilliantly tense scene and would have made a great, ballsy opening.

At least it's a good sequence in itself though. FYEO has the same problem but with a PTS that's actually offensively awful.