No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Peter Wyngarde should have been Blofeld.
    A very stylish Blofeld as well!
    Indeed. And certainly would've demonstrated an equalized threat to Bond's presence.
    Indeed. And certainly would've demonstrated an equalized threat to Bond's presence.

Reading FRWL now, and I think he could have been a good Kronsteen too. Not that I would replace Vladek Sheybal for anyone, though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Reading FRWL now, and I think he could have been a good Kronsteen too. Not that I would replace Vladek Sheybal for anyone, though.
    I think Kronsteen would've been too weak for him, since Wyngarde often played powerful men rather than underlings having to fear some higher up.

I think Kronsteen would've been too weak for him, since Wyngarde often played powerful men rather than underlings having to fear some higher up.

Well, that's true. But Kronsteen's also has this strong confidence in his plan, which I think Wyngarde would portray just as well as Sheybal. Still, the thing that annoys me the most, is that we have not had the chance to see him in a Bond film.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Dennison wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    I could really care less at this point now lets just move on and use Blofeld and spectre in a different way then spectre and all will be good even though I liked spectre they just need a new bond and new start

They don't need SPECTRE or Blofeld going forward.

Well they didn't bring them back for no reason and definitely not just one film in the Craig era they are in for the long haul past Craig. It would be foolish of them only being in one film.

Well, I don't think many people would find it a stretch to say that 'bringing them back for no reason' is exactly what they did. It's another case of, just because the could, they didn't stop to think if they should. The logical move would've been to hold back and use them as a unique selling point going into the next actors tenure - making sure they nail it. For me, that is more problematic now.

They can feasibly bring back Waltz's Blofeld for a denouement with Craig. I don't think they should use YOLT wholesale as others are suggesting, but the Blofeld of the novel (and the organisation) is a spent force and he himself fruitcake. This is a viable way to continue. Howver, beyond (and even including that) Spectre as an organisation do not have the gravitas nor appeal to serve as a credible threat going forward imo. They'd need seriously retooling, which I would leave until the next incumbent but one, if at all.

However, for me, it's absolutely clear to see that the general audience (and I include myself in this) favour a 'villain of the week' scenario. From 73' through 2015', that's over 40 years, Bond survived on a diet of eclectic, individual villains. It's key to what keeps Bond ticking. It is no surprise to me that CR and SF have been the clear standouts in this era. There's nothing more exciting, in my mind, than seeing what nefarious force they concoct for the new adventure. Silva came through on that score, as (unsurprisingly) did Le Chiffre.

I have to agree, Blofeld doesn't seem to work on screen. At any rate they've never really come close making him work. It's telling when the best Blofeld appearances are in FRWL and TB when he's in relatively few scenes and we only hear his voice and see his hands.

YOLT - doesn't live up to what you're expecting after FRWL and TB - the expected menace isn't there
    OHMSS - best incarnation
    DAF - Blofeld in drag?! Charles 'it's a jump to the left' Gray?!
    FYEO - does that even count?
    SP - I'm a jealous 'brother'

Its not that he doesn't do good on screen he just hasn't been put on screen properly

Yes, that was the point I was making. Thanks for reiterating it.

Your welcome Blofeld just hasn't been used properly that's all and p and w are stupid to think it is hard to write a bond film now look at what happened in London tonight totally baloney
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Yeah he looks out of shape for bond now
    He looks tired there imo.
  • RC7RC7
    He looks great. Looking forward to veteran Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    23 pages more since I last checked this thread.
    Any news?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Any news?
    Check the first page. ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ditch the stubble, get a tan and define the eyebrows a bit , lol, a pet peeve of mine, and he's ready to go.....but make it sooner rather than later.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Any news?
    Zip. Zilch. Nada.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,114
    I think his age would actually bother casuals much more than diehards. Ordinary people hold a very idealized view of Bond at his peak. Plus they have already done veteran Bond with Craig. It's old hat.
    Veteran Craig was done in SF 6 years after rookie Craig ha ha...
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Veteran Craig was done in SF 6 years after rookie Craig ha ha...
    Yes, I was going to say. Didn't we already get the grizzled veteran Bond in SF?

He looks the same as he's always done. Some like that, and others don't. He was always a bit unique in this respect.
  • RC7RC7
    He was midlife crisis Bond in SF. Veteran Bond up next.
    Oh dear. Predictable.

Well, let's get it over with then.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I've said making age an issue in SF was a mistake; focusing on his being disillusioned with and distrustful of the powers that be would have been effective and less damaging to his future status as an agent.
    "Middle-aged dog... new tricks."

No, doesn't ring a bell.
  • RC7RC7
    No need to focus on his age, but no need to shy away from it either. There's a balance.
    As long as they don't do a Logan or a TDKR I can reluctantly find something to enjoy in it. Aping the superhero genre should stop.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    As long as they don't do a Logan or a TDKR I can reluctantly find something to enjoy in it. Aping the superhero genre should stop.

I don't think they'll do that at all.
    bondjames wrote: »

I don't think they'll do that at all.
    That's at least good news.
    With P+W still at the helm we have to count on something stupid again.
  • RC7RC7

Worry about the director.
    They can't reference his age less at 50 than they did at 43. If there was a balance to be found, it should have been done long ago. It's too late to start now.

Worry about the director.

That as well actually.
  • RC7RC7
    They can't reference his age less at 50 than they did at 43. If there was a balance to be found, it should have been done long ago. It's too late to start now.

They can do what they like.
    He was midlife crisis Bond in SF. Veteran Bond up next.

You mean him even looking older and more battered than in SF? Yes, that certainly should fix things wrong with the franchise.