No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I think my original point has been missed. D.C. can make as many movies as he likes & explore as many different roles as he likes. But the longer it take for the next Bond movie to take off, the more time Craig will have to grab other roles which in turn will shed his image as Bond. And I'm sure there's nothing more that he'd like than just that. Therefore, Bond will no longer appeal to him.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Until MGM gets talking bond 25 I don't think we will hear much
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 11,425
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I think my original point has been missed. D.C. can make as many movies as he likes & explore as many different roles as he likes. But the longer it take for the next Bond movie to take off, the more time Craig will have to grab other roles which in turn will shed his image as Bond. And I'm sure there's nothing more that he'd like than just that. Therefore, Bond will no longer appeal to him.

It might appeal to him but all the evidence shows he's not very successful outside of Bond.

He should brace himself for a swift descent if he decided not to do B25
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    No actor ever shakes the Bond image.
    He knows as all the others do, Bond is the biggest role of his career. He's not going to look a gifthorse in the mouth.
    Roger Moore made four film between Golden Gun and Spy Who Loved Me and returned to the role
    I hope so. And I am hoping for a significant departure from the Mendes approach
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Whenever a new actor takes over, that always means a significant departure from what came before, so no need to worry there.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Whenever a new actor takes over, that always means a significant departure from what came before, so no need to worry there.
    Looking forward to it, whenever it happens.
    I'm not. Would prefer Craig to stay over any of the current pretenders unless it was Fassbender
    If it's the much touted SP continuation story, then I'd rather he move on personally. Otherwise I welcome him back.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,160
    bondjames wrote: »
    If it's the much touted SP continuation story, then I'd rather he move on personally. Otherwise I welcome him back.

I agree when you say Craig won't return unless it's 2018, and in that regard the next few months should be very telling.

Yes I'd prefer it not to be a continuation. Totally possible. The audience doesn't give a sh*t what happens to Brofeld so doing a srandalone would be a canny move IMO
    Getafix wrote: »

Yes I'd prefer it not to be a continuation. Totally possible. The audience doesn't give a sh*t what happens to Brofeld so doing a srandalone would be a canny move IMO

I'll have to agree with that. The general audience, at this point even, probably just remembers SPECTRE as an arguably inferior follow up to SF. The open ended climax probably didn't enthrall the general movie goers enough to really care what happens to Blofeld, Bond's post-double-O-career and his relationship with Swann. Had a new film been in production now with an upcoming November release, then I'd be all for a follow up. But now all we have is Purvis and Wade signed up to write a script.
    To be honest, I find the fact Eon is offering only a one picture deal to the bidding studios a bit troubling. On the positive side, it does bode well for one more with Craig, as the producers clearly don't want him to go. We might get a great final outing.
    However, once that happens then what? Have the audience wait 2 years while the Eon rest from being burned out after B25? Then have the audience wait another year while they start yet another bidding war with the studios? And another year while they recast 007? If they were so burned out after SF, which was done after a nice four year rest, and again after SP, could it be their enthusiasm for Bond may be starting to fade?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is like exercise. If you only do it once in a while, you get exhausted.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

Brofeld... I would laugh if it wasn't so tragic. But yes, if Craig were to return, I would also prefer it not to be continuation.

@bondjames You probably already explained this, but why do you think Craig only returns with a 2018 release?
    I think there's a view that if they leave it longer then audiences will have moved on and be expecting someone else. I don't buy this personally. I think Craig could do 2 more if he wanted. After 55 he'd be really pushing it but I think he could stay until then if he wants. A sixth film really going to town on 'old Bond' would be great. Shame they shot that bolt with SF.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Jeffrey, for a few reasons that in combination suggest he won't be back for 2019.

-He's getting on.

-It's more practically difficult to go back to his continuity driven character arc after 4 years (easier after 3). That's probably one of the reasons that they went in a new direction with SF initially. That arc was just starting with QoS. It's much closer to being complete now after SP (despite many hoping for a Garden of Death scenario - which I don't see them doing regardless) and the last film was deliberately crafted in such a way that it could serve as an ending.

-Some think he'll definitely be back with a non-continuity story. I disagree. If it's 2018, it's much more likely that he is back and that it's continuity driven. If it's 2019, it's much more likely they'll recast. Babs and Co. always have their eye on the future and rebirth of the franchise. That's one of the reasons they ditched Brozza. I don't think anyone is focused on Bond right now to be honest. The P&W rumours haven't been confirmed. Everything is up in the air as the distributor deal is finalized, and we have not had any confirmation that it is a 'one picture deal' either.

-Most importantly, I don't think he lives and breathes Bond. I think he had something in mind to accomplish, and I think he feels that he's done that. He hasn't said anything about there being anywhere else for the character to go. All his statements on it when he was being honest and open referred to having done all he can. Yes, he's thrown around a few platitudes recently (only once?) saying he'd miss it terribly, but that sounds like the words of a man who's been told to shut it down by the powers that be after 'wrist slash'.

-He deliberately didn't do anything except a play between SF & SP. This time around he is spreading his wings and actually acting again. That's what he does best and that's who he is (he's not a star imho). I think once he gets a taste for this again (and the associated critical acclaim), he will call it quits. He won't want to be remembered solely for Bond by the masses (it's all I know him for too, apart from a few films here and there).

-So the longer this plays out, the more chance he moves on (as an actor's actor). Think Dalton in 1994.

Just my thoughts. Not gospel.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 8,160
    @Jeffrey, for a few reasons that in combination suggest he won't be back for 2019.

-He's getting on.

-It's more practically difficult to go back to his continuity driven character arc after 4 years (easier after 3). That's probably one of the reasons that they went in a new direction with SF initially. That arc was just starting with QoS. It's much closer to being complete now after SP (despite many hoping for a Garden of Death scenario - which I don't see them doing regardless) and the last film was deliberately crafted in such a way that it could serve as an ending.

-Some think he'll definitely be back with a non-continuity story. I disagree. If it's 2018, it's much more likely that he is back and that it's continuity driven. If it's 2019, it's much more likely they'll recast. Babs and Co. always have their eye on the future and rebirth of the franchise. That's one of the reasons they ditched Brozza. I don't think anyone is focused on Bond right now to be honest. The P&W rumours haven't been confirmed. Everything is up in the air as the distributor deal is finalized, and we have not had any confirmation that it is a 'one picture deal' either.

-Most importantly, I don't think he lives and breathes Bond. I think he had something in mind to accomplish, and I think he feels that he's done that. He hasn't said anything about there being anywhere else for the character to go. All his statements on it when he was being honest and open referred to having done all he can. Yes, he's thrown around a few platitudes recently (only once?) saying he'd miss it terribly, but that sounds like the words of a man who's been told to shut it down by the powers that be after 'wrist slash'.

-He deliberately didn't do anything except a play between SF & SP. This time around he is spreading his wings and actually acting again. That's what he does best and that's who he is (he's not a star imho). I think once he gets a taste for this again (and the associated critical acclaim), he will call it quits. He won't want to be remembered solely for Bond by the masses (it's all I know him for too, apart from a few films here and there).

-So the longer this plays out, the more chance he moves on (as an actor's actor). Think Dalton in 1994.

Just my thoughts. Not gospel.

This refelcts my own thoughts. Craig simply it's the guy who's happy to keep playing the same character into his 50's. You need a special kind of commitment for that, which Tom Cruise and others have, but Craig is a different breed. He get's just as much fulfillment from other projects, so why wed himself to this role for longer than necessary? If he is finding his footing outside of Bond, returning to the franchise will only hold him back from building his own image.
    I think there's a view that if they leave it longer then audiences will have moved on and be expecting someone else. I don't buy this personally. I think Craig could do 2 more if he wanted.

Personally, I don't see it at all. He looked good in QoS ( to me his High Point ) but was past his selling date in SF. The problem is it's getting more and more seen as a franchise for the elderly. I can't imagine that this is a good state of affairs. After all, going to cinema is a young men's game, so to speak. By virtue of a girlfriend who is together with almost all of her family quite active in several sporting clubs (and since always someone is celebrating birthday or something), I know many young people in the range from, let's say 16 to mid 20, and while they all are fond of spy movies (with the girls preferring Bourne and the boys leaning towards MI) they tend to be rather indifferent towards the recent Bond movies. Believe it or not, but to many of them (especially the female side ) their Bond is still Brosnan. To them, many of whom grew up with watching the old movies on TV together with their fathers, Craig simply doesn't feature the traits they expect from James Bond. And let me emphasize the lack of "camp" is only a small part of it.
    If they want Bond to stay relevant in the future I would very much recommend to them to alter course, otherwise they might find themselves in a state of permanently diminishing returns. Remember SP?
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    @bondjames Thanks for your reply. Your points make sense. There's indeed something to say about him accomplishing what he wanted with the role, and that he's appearing to move on from it.
    I'll be very disappointed if Craig elects not to do Bond 25, but at the same time it's what I'm expecting. It'll be a pleasant surprise if he does wind up doing it. At this point, I'm most disappointed in the lack of news concerning the film, the distribution deal, and the general lack of care by anybody involved.

Guess it does make you wonder what will come of the franchise in the near future.
    I'll be very disappointed if Craig elects not to do Bond 25, but at the same time it's what I'm expecting. It'll be a pleasant surprise if he does wind up doing it. At this point, I'm most disappointed in the lack of news concerning the film, the distribution deal, and the general lack of care by anybody involved.

Guess it does make you wonder what will come of the franchise in the near future.

Exactly. I'm starting to feel maybe it's not such a good idea to take the Bond series for granted anymore. It's gone on my entire life, and I've treated a new Bond film with the same expectation as a favorite holiday that always comes around.

Not sure what makes you think those involved don't care ...
    Dennison wrote: »

I may totally be incorrect by saying they don't care. But as of lately it just seems like they don't. In my opinion, if they did care there would've been some sort of an announcement by now even if it was something completely minimal. Perhaps an update on what's happening behind the scenes, if anything. An update on the distribution deal? Some kind of an official word from EON would remind me that they care.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Exactly. I'm starting to feel maybe it's not such a good idea to take the Bond series for granted anymore. It's gone on my entire life, and I've treated a new Bond film with the same expectation as a favorite holiday that always comes around.

I, too have treated it as a holiday.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I, too have treated it as a holiday.

Bond is such a tradition. For me it's like having favorite Halloween, Christmas or New Year's traditions.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,031

I may totally be incorrect by saying they don't care. But as of lately it just seems like they don't. In my opinion, if they did care there would've been some sort of an announcement by now even if it was something completely minimal. Perhaps an update on what's happening behind the scenes, if anything. An update on the distribution deal? Some kind of an official word from EON would remind me that they care.

Why, are you an MGM shareholder?

Just have a little patience. Read a book or something.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,756
    I think there's a view that if they leave it longer then audiences will have moved on and be expecting someone else. I don't buy this personally. I think Craig could do 2 more if he wanted.

Personally, I don't see it at all. He looked good in QoS ( to me his High Point ) but was past his selling date in SF. The problem is it's getting more and more seen as a franchise for the elderly. I can't imagine that this is a good state of affairs. After all, going to cinema is a young men's game, so to speak. By virtue of a girlfriend who is together with almost all of her family quite active in several sporting clubs (and since always someone is celebrating birthday or something), I know many young people in the range from, let's say 16 to mid 20, and while they all are fond of spy movies (with the girls preferring Bourne and the boys leaning towards MI) they tend to be rather indifferent towards the recent Bond movies. Believe it or not, but to many of them (especially the female side ) their Bond is still Brosnan. To them, many of whom grew up with watching the old movies on TV together with their fathers, Craig simply doesn't feature the traits they expect from James Bond. And let me emphasize the lack of "camp" is only a small part of it.
    If they want Bond to stay relevant in the future I would very much recommend to them to alter course, otherwise they might find themselves in a state of permanently diminishing returns. Remember SP?

Well, the demographic depends on who you're talking to. Go back 30 years and the same was said about Roger. Go back further and the same was said about Sean. And the same will be said about Craig, it's whoever you've seen and grown up with first.

However I agree that having a young cast is important in reeling in new fans. That what made Goldeneye super popular, it felt fresh, modern, young, unpredictable - to this day.
    Again we can speculate till the cows come home but we don't know anything really personally I am not so blind I can't see another actor in the role of 007 (even though my choices of Fassbender Hardy and Hiddleston are popular and sadly obvious ones) I still hope Craig to return in The Garden Of Death.

I've had plenty of patience. I've been patient since November 2015. The patience is starting to run out and no book is going to quell that!
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,031

I've had plenty of patience. I've been patient since November 2015. The patience is starting to run out and no book is going to quell that!

I know Bond is good. I'm a massive fan myself. But is it that important that we need to get so agitated because a new film may be released, I don't know 3 or 4 years after the last one?

I mean I've got CDs that I bought 2 years ago that I still haven't had the chance to listen to.