Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Braders, what about a game like Nightfire but in third person view?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Our best chance is if a developer comes around to make a series of spy games that rip off the old 007 ones. I just want a cool third person spy game period, as they just aren't made anymore.

even the Splinter Cell Franchise is DOA and wasn't Rockstar going to a video game called Agent which got taken out back and shot...

I don't really care for Splinter Cell, so can't comment. I don't think Agent is completely canceled, it's just that Rockstar are making bank with GTA and Red Dead, two of the biggest IPs you could imagine, and so all the focus is there. I can't really blame them, as they are swimming in the billions (!) over it all, whereas placing so much time, money and energy on an untested IP wouldn't be as sure a win for them.
    Braders, what about a game like Nightfire but in third person view?

I just want a great third person spy game (with the choice for 1st person too, why not). Something that uses the current-gen tech to do something mind-blowing.

The sad thing is that any game that tried to be Bondian would probably end up getting taken to court by the very people who don't think there's a market for Bond games, period. Funny, that.
    One of the things I hate about Danjaq.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That 'Agent' game by Rockstar was in development for so many years before it got canned, which is a shame.
  • I'm heavily inclined to think we'll most likely get another Bond game once a new actor is in the role, which could be another 3-5 years who knows. I don't see Danjaq and EON missing out on the opportunity to bring Bond to the current generation of game consoles.
    I'm heavily inclined to think we'll most likely get another Bond game once a new actor is in the role, which could be another 3-5 years who knows. I don't see Danjaq and EON missing out on the opportunity to bring Bond to the current generation of game consoles.

It'd be a big missed opportunity if they didn't, that's for sure. I do find it odd that we've had a relatively healthy string of Bond titles, and as soon as the last one dropped, that was it. I need a new one ASAP.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,080
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm heavily inclined to think we'll most likely get another Bond game once a new actor is in the role, which could be another 3-5 years who knows. I don't see Danjaq and EON missing out on the opportunity to bring Bond to the current generation of game consoles.

It'd be a big missed opportunity if they didn't, that's for sure. I do find it odd that we've had a relatively healthy string of Bond titles, and as soon as the last one dropped, that was it. I need a new one ASAP.

Me too, my guess is that gamers who don't really admire the Bond character as much as we do didn't take well to Activision's Games, and probably saw them as nothing more than a COD clone. It's sad too because Activision had started out with so much promise. I love to go back and play QOS on my old PS2 (used to have it for 360 before I sold it), and the Goldeneye remake. As Brady said, EON and Danjaq just don't see a market for a Bond game, when there clearly is one. Half the time I just wish they would take a look at these forums and listen to what the fans say. There is a market for a Bond game, just not one that's a COD clone.

Me too, my guess is that gamers who don't really admire the Bond character as much as we do didn't take well to Activision's Games, and probably saw them as nothing more than a COD clone. It's sad too because Activision had started out with so much promise. I love to go back and play QOS on my old PS2 (used to have it for 360 before I sold it), and the Goldeneye remake. As Brady said, EON and Danjaq just don't see a market for a Bond game, when there clearly is one. Half the time I just wish they would take a look at these forums and listen to what the fans say. There is a market for a Bond game, just not one that's a COD clone.

That's understandable. Hell, people are highly burnt out on CoD in general, so anything remotely resembling a similar style of gameplay will likely be met with a stuck-up nose. Take it the 'Bloodstone' route like Brady said, give us a smart, fun, unique third-person spy game that both hardcore fans and general gamers alike would love. A little TLC would go a long way.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

That's understandable. Hell, people are highly burnt out on CoD in general, so anything remotely resembling a similar style of gameplay will likely be met with a stuck-up nose. Take it the 'Bloodstone' route like Brady said, give us a smart, fun, unique third-person spy game that both hardcore fans and general gamers alike would love. A little TLC would go a long way.

I can't say I have played the console version of Bloodstone, but have played it on NDS. I'll have to track down a copy and buy it for my 360. I would love to have another 3rd person Bond game, EON and FRWL were such a blast growing up, and they still never fail to keep me entertained when playing them. I think that's what EA got right, they made sure the games were fun and original enough to keep gamers going back to them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It really is a shame that, with all that games can do (a shock even in comparison to 2011, around Blood Stone's release) that nobody is letting a Bond game being created in this exciting environment. Another E3 will be moving through this year, and another year where Bond will be sitting out as all the usual suspects take the stage doing much the same as they always have.

I want a Bond game with a character model of the man so packed with luscious polygons that he feels like a real human. Gameplay this is seamless and dynamic, with fleshed out and responsive gunplay and fisticuff mechanics that you can use on the fly. Visceral driving sections in dynamic environments that react to how you speed through them, offering up multiple pathways to meet an objective. Expansive "levels" where you have a main goal, but tons of bonus challenges that increase your rank for the chapter, including special Bond moments like the old EA games to give it that cinematic flavor. A system of customization where I can pick out Bond's gadgets and guns for the level ahead, and dress him as I wish, whether it's in a too-obvious white dinner jacket GF style, or a more quiet gray suit or casual wear.

The opportunities are absolutely endless for a current-gen Bond game, and nobody is doing anything about it.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I can't say I have played the console version of Bloodstone, but have played it on NDS. I'll have to track down a copy and buy it for my 360. I would love to have another 3rd person Bond game, EON and FRWL were such a blast growing up, and they still never fail to keep me entertained when playing them. I think that's what EA got right, they made sure the games were fun and original enough to keep gamers going back to them.

You should definitely pick up Bloodstone. It's Craig's EON. I especially love the driving levels.

You should definitely pick up Bloodstone. It's Craig's EON. I especially love the driving levels.

I'll have to add that to my buying list. Seeing gameplay footage, it just looks so absolutely stunning.
    It really is a shame that, with all that games can do (a shock even in comparison to 2011, around Blood Stone's release) that nobody is letting a Bond game being created in this exciting environment. Another E3 will be moving through this year, and another year where Bond will be sitting out as all the usual suspects take the stage doing much the same as they always have.

I want a Bond game with a character model of the man so packed with luscious polygons that he feels like a real human. Gameplay this is seamless and dynamic, with fleshed out and responsive gunplay and fisticuff mechanics that you can use on the fly. Visceral driving sections in dynamic environments that react to how you speed through them, offering up multiple pathways to meet an objective. Expansive "levels" where you have a main goal, but tons of bonus challenges that increase your rank for the chapter, including special Bond moments like the old EA games to give it that cinematic flavor. A system of customization where I can pick out Bond's gadgets and guns for the level ahead, and dress him as I wish, whether it's in a too-obvious white dinner jacket GF style, or a more quiet gray suit or casual wear.

The opportunities are absolutely endless for a current-gen Bond game, and nobody is doing anything about it.

You just know the graphical quality increase from the last few installments to a brand new one on next-gen systems would be stunning.

I'll have to add that to my buying list. Seeing gameplay footage, it just looks so absolutely stunning.

@007ClassicBondFan, it's a must play, my friend, and easily my favorite Bond game of the HD era, if you want to call it that. Stunning, and with an interesting use of common game mechanics. It reinvents no wheels, but it's damn fun and has a lot of great sequences that feel out of a Brosnan film (it helps that a writer on GE or TND did the scripting). It's one of those films, written with restraint and made more grounded by Craig and Dench's part in it. It's also got an opening that I think would be a stunning PTS for a Bond film, if the developers didn't get there first!

@007ClassicBondFan, it's a must play, my friend, and easily my favorite Bond game of the HD era, if you want to call it that. Stunning, and with an interesting use of common game mechanics. It reinvents no wheels, but it's damn fun and has a lot of great sequences that feel out of a Brosnan film (it helps that a writer on GE or TND did the scripting). It's one of those films, written with restraint and made more grounded by Craig and Dench's part in it. It's also got an opening that I think would be a stunning PTS for a Bond film, if the developers didn't get there first!

I've been talked into it, I'm going to be buying Blood Stone, it'll be nice to have a brand new Bond gaming expierence for me, seeing as how the lack of Bond games has been killing me slowly. I've seen various cutscenes in the game, and I absolutely love the character model for Craig, he seems less Blonde than in his films, Dench looked pretty good too.
    We should all meet up in London and make a Bond game together.
    Danjaq wouldn't let us. ;)
    We can discuss some ideas, remember that none of us knows how to program, and then I'll go, "Why the hell are we in London!?" :D

I do wish someone would make a spiritual successor to the classic Bond games without the name "Bond". Like Yooka-Laylee is a successor to Banjo-Kazooie. It would get around copyright, and it sounds considerably better than nothing.
    Unfortunately we can't, @BMW_with_missiles. Monolith wasn't making a Bond game when No One Lives Forever was first showcased at E3 1999. But, MGM sued them back when the game seemed Bondian and featured a male super-spy named Adam Church in a bit more serious tone of the same outline. They changed it into a campy tone and came up with Cate Archer later on because Danjaq threatened lawsuit because it looked like a Bond game, even though it had nothing to do with Bond.
    Unfortunately we can't, @BMW_with_missiles. Monolith wasn't making a Bond game when No One Lives Forever was first showcased at E3 1999. But, MGM sued them back when the game seemed Bondian and featured a male super-spy named Adam Church in a bit more serious tone of the same outline. They changed it into a campy tone and came up with Cate Archer later on because Danjaq threatened lawsuit because it looked like a Bond game, even though it had nothing to do with Bond.

Seriously? I never knew that. MGM acts like they have the rights to the whole British spy archetype. They're more litigious and petty than I already knew. Although, you really can't get any more petty than stopping the Peugeot 1007 from being referred to as the "one double-oh seven", so I shouldn't be surprised.

Sounds like Edison around the time the kinetoscope came out, where one man tried to monopolize the art of filmmaking. In a more modern example, the Fine Bros. of YouTube fame trying to copyright the word "React."

Utter pricks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    _88030601_fine_brothers.jpg

They definitely look like the kind of people who would try and trademark a widely used word.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 70
    That 'Agent' game by Rockstar was in development for so many years before it got canned, which is a shame.

It's never publicly announced that it was cancelled though. In December of last year, Take 2 (parent of Rockstar Games) renewed the trademark. So there is still a little chance we might be getting it, either after the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 or possibly after Bully 2, which is rumored to come out after RDR2
    Gummy wrote: »

It's never publicly announced that it was cancelled though. In December of last year, Take 2 (parent of Rockstar Games) renewed the trademark. So there is still a little chance we might be getting it, either after the upcoming Red Dead Redemption 2 or possibly after Bully 2, which is rumored to come out after RDR2

I don't think it's scrapped, that just wouldn't make sense, especially with the money and time that could've already been spent on its production.

As I theorized, Rockstar are pushing out more of their tested IPs rather than new ones, but when a block of time passes where RDR 2 and a possible Bully 2 come out, I think the next game that would come in that period would just be GTA 6. In that time Agent could get some development, with not as many projects being juggled. It's still a long ways away, but I think we will see it some day.
    ggl007 wrote: »

Crap. I mean, I'll buy anything at this point if it comes out, but crap.
    ggl007 wrote: »

Crap. I mean, I'll buy anything at this point if it comes out, but crap.
    Drat! Drat! And Double Drat!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 5,185
    I can totally understand the opposition, and this is surely not my ideal of a Bond game, but heck if the story is good and an authentic Bond expirience, i take it...
    I just want to see SOMETHING happening with the license at this point...
    hopefully better things will follow
    00Agent wrote: »
    I can totally understand the Opposition, and this is surely not my ideal of a Bond game, but Heck if the story is good and an authentic Bond Expirience, i take it...
    I just want to see SOMETHING happening with the license at this point..
    hopefully better things will follow

If it brings back Bond games, and we eventually get actual games with actual interactivity made by a different company, then yes, it's a good thing. I too, would be pleased to see that something was happening finally, if this turns out to be true. We can also hope that Telltale breaks with their tradition and makes a game that isn't just picking dialogue options, but that's pretty pie-in-the-sky.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    we should wait at least for the E3 to see if anything gets confirmed.
    Otherwise this could still be fake news