Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2017 Posts: 28,694
    ohmss42 wrote: »
    Hey Brady bunch.... next week after E3 when this is announced formally we can come back here and laugh at you.

Your jokes sound like they are written by Purvis and Wade....

I think you're a bit delusional chap-or you're a teenager, as they're the same thing these days, really. Haven't made a single joke this entire time, I simply expressed a desire not to have big expectations about a game that we can't verify the existence of. I don't get worked up over things that might not happen, but as I've stated elsewhere, if a new Bond game is announced in the next week or two-yes, even a Telltale one-I will happily celebrate with everyone else the moment it becomes fact. Until then I won't rush to hang up any celebratory balloons or crack the bubbly. I hope you understand.

P.S. Speaking of bad jokes, I've heard your "Brady Bunch" gag my entire life. Refresh your material, mate.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    ohmss42 wrote: »
    Hey Brady bunch.... next week after E3 when this is announced formally we can come back here and laugh at you.

Your jokes sound like they are written by Purvis and Wade....

You sound like a jumped up little $***. Go bury your head in the sand and get out of our sights.
    Again OHMSS tell us something we don't know who is bond what is solstice who is M any thing and we will believe but until then ....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    If this is true.. Then I give it a lukewarm "yay" of a response.. Glad that there is potentially a new Bond game... Not thrilled that its allegedly being made by TellTale.. I still end up playing it - like I do most 007 games.. But there were/are far better studios out there that I believe would like a crack at a Bond game....

.... Plus the whole origin story stuff I am not a fan of.. Enough with the bloody origins - just pick up with him already an established agent.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If Telltale is making a Bond game, I'll be happy. That saves it from being just another generic first or third person shooter, and allows it to be more like the films and the books. It gives it a chance to have an original Bond, and even the idea of an origin story doesn't bother me, even if we don't really need one.
  • If Telltale is making a Bond game, I'll be happy. That saves it from being just another generic first or third person shooter, and allows it to be more like the films and the books. It gives it a chance to have an original Bond, and even the idea of an origin story doesn't bother me, even if we don't really need one.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a chance to try something new with the character, and weather or not one likes the Telltale system, I'd still probably buy it and play it, as another Bond game is well overdue.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    You can still do something different, without having to go the quick time point and click adventure... You can better, more story driven, cinematic looking games - you just need the right brains behind it to think outside of the traditional trappings of a shooter game.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    HASEROT wrote: »
    You can still do something different, without having to go the quick time point and click adventure... You can better, more story driven, cinematic looking games - you just need the right brains behind it to think outside of the traditional trappings of a shooter game.

There's no one marketable in the current gaming climate that can do that, sadly. Telltale offers a chance for the future, and I would like to see the hope in that chance.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe if it's real, this new Bond game can use the Bond theme as it seems to be used less and less these days...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If it is true, we need to throw money at it and show the copyright owners that more games like it need to be made, because a rich market wants more. Telltale is also a bit of a critical darling, so they'd have reviews and hype on their side from the get-go.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    If they truly do get to making a Bond game, good. We'll know there's some movement in that department. But, I sincerely hope they don't get "exclusive" rights like Activision did in 2007 so the other more promising companies with potential don't go down the well and create a franchise that swallows Bond in gaming popularity. I'm talking about Splinter Cell, of course, which was initially pitched as a Bond game.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    now would this be an original game or based on previous movies, if so which movies?
    If they're doing origin stories, then I should think they're doing what Dynamite is doing.
    If they truly do get to making a Bond game, good. We'll know there's some movement in that department. But, I sincerely hope they don't get "exclusive" rights like Activision did in 2007 so the other more promising companies with potential don't go down the well and create a franchise that swallows Bond in gaming popularity. I'm talking about Splinter Cell, of course, which was initially pitched as a Bond game.

I don't think they'll have the rights themselves. There was a terrible FPS Walking Dead game released in between seasons of The Walking Dead that had nothing to do with them. Likewise, their Batman game has just come out (is it finished now? I didn't play it), and I doubt they'd have been able to get the exclusive rights when the Arkham games are still such cash cows. I think they tend to licence properties but don't actually own any of them. Maybe MGM/Danjaq want to test the waters with how popular the Bond brand is in video games before commiting to another big budget title.

Maybe I'm being naive but this just seems very believeable to me, I'm getting more and more convinced this is true so props to EON for finally getting their act together and letting a company who've shown they're capable of great, well written games have a crack at it. Like @Agent007391 said, this is going to be the first Bond game where we don't just play as a mass murderer. Where we'll actually get to tackle situations in line with how we think Bond should act. People are unenthusiastic because we get less control but we're in control of Bond as a character and what he does in the story, in a way you actually get more control in Telltale games than big AAA titles imo. I really can't wait to see what they do with it.
    I never said it wasn't believable.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited June 2017 Posts: 2,540
    [delete]
    like I said I am skeptical but hopeful...

if it is true I plan on buying it simply because it's a new bond game I do hope the achievements are more interesting then just playing through each part.
    That is a stupid name.
    Agreed I am so sick of the one word titles

Since 2011 in video games books comic books and films we have has the following one word titles

Goldeneye
    Bloodstone
    Skyfall
    Legends
    Solo
    Vargr
    Eiolden
    Spectre
    Hammerhead
    And now
    Solstice

It's way too much
    No one marketable??.. Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Rocksteady, Ubisoft, SquareEnix... And that's not even really trying to think of other studios, who have done successful cinematic style 3rd person games.. again, all u have to do is drop the "shooter" part of it....

... But honestly, I think they are going with Telltale, because there is no one else willing to risk making a Bond game right now... So, hopefully Telltale can do something that proves there is still a market for Bond gaming, then a better studio will take the rights and make a better game.
    If it's real, Solstice could just be a cover name for the project, not a final title. It would make sense, really, since the title means nothing on the face of it, and its development could be hidden from prying eyes with such a broad name that would never readily correlate with Bond.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Solstice could be a project name like nightfire.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Agreed I am so sick of the one word titles

Since 2011 in video games books comic books and films we have has the following one word titles

Goldeneye
    Bloodstone
    Skyfall
    Legends
    Solo
    Vargr
    Eiolden
    Spectre
    Hammerhead
    And now
    Solstice

It's way too much

Blood Stone is two words on the box art, so I don't get why it's one word all over the internet.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    No one marketable??.. Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Rocksteady, Ubisoft, SquareEnix... And that's not even really trying to think of other studios, who have done successful cinematic style 3rd person games.. again, all u have to do is drop the "shooter" part of it....

... But honestly, I think they are going with Telltale, because there is no one else willing to risk making a Bond game right now... So, hopefully Telltale can do something that proves there is still a market for Bond gaming, then a better studio will take the rights and make a better game.

Of those four, Rocksteady is the only one I would consider marketable. Rockstar puts out good games at a snail's pace, and I doubt even those sales would grant them the license. Also, Rockstar rarely does licensed games. Ubisoft, we'd have the same damn problem we had with Activision, one bland game every year that's essentially the same and a story that doesn't progress. Square likely wouldn't take on a license for Bond when they already have Hitman and Tomb Raider to fill that spot.

You want a new company to come along and bring out a successful cinematic 3rd person game without the "shooter" part attached to it? Telltale can do that because that is what they do. Why is the idea of a point and click so damned insulting to you people when that's the best way to translate Bond's job to the video game medium? They can give you exactly what you want, keep an open mind and let them. Their success with other properties hasn't been a fluke, they really know what the hell they're doing.
    It's not about being insulted. Telltale do okay with their shtick, but many here don't view their approach as right for Bond. Games with choice can be interesting, but I've never felt exhilarated while experiencing a game made by them. The movements are stiff and slow, the plotting sometimes plodding, etc. The games, like other titles such as Heavy Rain, put into question what makes games what they are. Some don't enjoy playing "games" that feel far more like films that you infrequently press buttons to interact with.

I think the ideal Bond game would be one that had the dialogue options of a Telltale game, but that also had more, including actual levels that you could fluidly move in, and some action that you get to control, instead of watch. I don't want to press "O" to shoot an enemy, I want to be given the control over the gun, and the ability to aim it and shoot it how I want, to give me that feeling of choice. Telltale games give me the same feelings that FPS titles do, where I feel extremely distanced from all that is going on. If I'm playing a game, I ideally want and need to be immersed, and doing quick time events and moving an analog stick to slog forward doesn't do it for me. If I can feel no difference between playing a Telltale game directly and watching gameplay on YouTube, that's not a good sign. Playing the game itself should be its own reward, and be a special experience different from seeing other people experience it.
  • I will say that while I use to be in favor of Telltale doing a Bond game, having not completed their Batman game past the first episode has really put some perspective on the whole thing, but at the same time, we're approaching 5 years since the last Bond game, and that's an even longer hiatus between the FRWL and QOS games. I'll be certainly playing the game if these rumors turn out to be true, and who knows maybe this game can become truly amazing, but what I'm wondering is will this be tied to any specific era of Bond, or doing something based off the books which I would love. However I'm just taking everything with a grain of salt at this point.
    @007ClassicBondFan, did the Batman game not engage you?

As for what the game could be, I don't think it would be tied to any era. If the synopsis is actually real, it sounds like we'd get an original Bond probably more tied to the books, and we build our own 007 in a way, through the choices we make. The head of Telltale is a fan of all of Bond, so the team could inject the elements of the books and films in a way that works, but leave it up to players to choose how their version of Bond acts, giving you all the choices you'd want to make up your mind.

But we wouldn't see another Bond actor for the character model or anything like that. I think it's far, far more likely it would be an original character model and voice actor for the part, unconnected from anything else and very much its own thing, like the recent comics are.
  • @007ClassicBondFan, did the Batman game not engage you?

As for what the game could be, I don't think it would be tied to any era. If the synopsis is actually real, it sounds like we'd get an original Bond probably more tied to the books, and we build our own 007 in a way, through the choices we make. The head of Telltale is a fan of all of Bond, so the team could inject the elements of the books and films in a way that works, but leave it up to players to choose how their version of Bond acts, giving you all the choices you'd want to make up your mind.

But we wouldn't see another Bond actor for the character model or anything like that. I think it's far, far more likely it would be an original character model and voice actor for the part, unconnected from anything else and very much its own thing, like the recent comics are.

I felt like The Batman game had a decent set up, and I did like playing the first episode, it's just not a game I'd go back and play again. Much like you said earlier, when you can go an look up walkthroughs on YouTube it's pretty much just as appealing. I had a few issues with the liberties that they took with certain characters, and altering the rich Batman mythos to fit this particular storyline, it seemed a bit off, but I think they nailed the detective aspect of Batman really well.

As for this game, I'd love to see more Bond games with original models, when you think about it, half of the Bond games that have been made since 1997 have featured Brosnan, and the other half Craig, with few exceptions like AUF, GERA, and FRWL. If Telltale does decide on an original model, than I'd sure as hell be happy, especially if we're going back to the books. What I would love is if they did episodic games based off Fleming's books, I think the books would lend themselves much more to the Telltale style of gaming than the film series.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 5,185
    just finished my playthrough of the first episode of Batman (my first Telltale game so far) and i have to say that i would be more than open to see how Telltale would approach Bond. In short it would be different from anything we have seen so far in the world of Bond gaming... to me that's exciting

I hope this news will be confirmed next week and then we can go into the really interesting questions like how all the typical Bond elements would be implemented in a Telltale game, the villain, the world conquering scheme, the girls, the locations and globe trotting, the gadgets and cars, even the music...

And i am not so worried anymore about the 'origin' part, as Batman is basically an origin story as well, meaning that Telltale created their own universe where all the characters and villains appear and meet for the first time. Batman himself was already an established character in that universe, even though fairly new on the scene, maybe a year.

I am sure that Telltale will create their own universe with Bond (which i would welcome) and then reestablish all the relationships inside MI6, but they don't need to show Bond as a rookie. i think no one wants to see that.

This would be only the second Bond game after AUF with an original Bond, not modelled after any actor (if i am not mistaken, not counting Rouge Agent) and i have been waiting for years for that to happen

as for which Bond they'll use, Fleming or Cinematic, i really don't care as i love them both (leaning slightly towards cinematic and humor)
    Do you guys think the game will be modern or set in the 50's