Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

I think it's very different, but the basic mechanics (the parkour and the fighting) are the same, so if you didn't enjoy that then yeah it probably isn't for you. If you do get the chance to play it some day though then I would give it a chance as I think that one is generally thought of quite highly even by those who don't like the series. I think it was free on Xbox Live not that long ago and I know Playstation have a similar system so if it ever ends up on there I'd say it's worth a shot if you have nothing else to play. I loved the first one at the time but I don't think it holds up that well today. I agree on AC 2 though. It's still the high point for me. I should check out the remaster at some point but atm all my time on the Xbox is divided between Titanfall 2 and finally finishing Mafia 3.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @thelivingroyale, Syndicate certainly had some lively characters, but the issue comes when I don't give a damn about them. Sterrick had the chance to be good, but he's barely even in the game, and nothing is ever done to make him truly interesting. The AC games on the whole have always had poor villains, though, with the only exceptions being the Borgias, but they also had two games to feature in so that's an unfair advantage.

As for the difference in the games, the locations give a feeling of newness, but at the core the games feel very copy and pasted from subsequent efforts. When two or three different assassins from just as many separate games run, move and fight the same, there's an issue. Black Flag pasted from AC3, but it also added new twists, and because of that it feels more successful: it was being its own thing instead of being more of a rehash. But the issues continued with Unity and Syndicate, which also has a very copy and pasted feeling. I was also shocked that the superior gameplay and combat from the former, as well as the blood effects and visceral feeling of the controls during action regressed in Syndicate, which felt very hollow and clunky in comparison. If things have to be copied from game to game, at least keep the good stuff. Syndicate was the first game not made by the usual team, and boy does it show in major ways.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know I've stuck to my word that Everything or Nothing is my favorite Bond game, but having replayed the entirety of Bloodstone in 5 hours today, I think it just might take its spot. The only occasion where Activision didn't disappoint with it's Bond license.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jake24 wrote: »
    I know I've stuck to my word that Everything or Nothing is my favorite Bond game, but having replayed the entirety of Bloodstone in 5 hours today, I think it just might take its spot. The only occasion where Activision didn't disappoint with it's Bond license.

I'd love to see another game in that style, but with a bit more finesse in the combat department. A great, short thrill ride that had so much potential on display. And by far the most successful video game attempt since EA had the license of making a Bond game that had all the bells of whistles from action to car chases, great level design and more. When game worlds are that fun to tear through, it's a crime to make the game first person. Hopefully Bond has put his FPS days behind him, or it's offered as a choice if we ever have to deal with it again.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    There's something endlessly cinematic about it. It feels as if I'm watching a Craig Bond film whilst controlling Bond's actions. It's as if the developers went out of their way to make the game look as beautiful as possible, which is something I wish I could say for it's two successors.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It's certainly one of the greats. The driving levels alone make it one of the absolute best Bond games. I consider it probably the most under-rated game I've ever played. It's a shame they released it on the exact same day as GE Wii. It lived in the shadow of a far inferior game.
    There's something endlessly cinematic about it. It feels as if I'm watching a Craig Bond film whilst controlling Bond's actions. It's as if the developers went out of their way to make the game look as beautiful as possible, which is something I wish I could say for it's two successors.

It is definitely cinematic, especially the opening standalone mission in Greece, which feels right out of a Craig Bond film, with a dash of Brosnan (which is fair, considering the writer of GE and TND scripted it). I could picture Bond gliding on parachute to a rich man's yacht, kicking men off as he goes, and then dodging the gun fire of a renegade helicopter as it swoops in to bump him off while he races through the glass-paneled bar at the deck.

The game also kept the personality of Craig's Bond very true, with him being dry throughout. I love the moment in Istanbul where Bond is thrown a hard hat to wear, which he then tosses with abandon (the Craig Bond trademark move) as he goes down to the construction site. I now put the mission of Bond's from the game in my head canon for taking place between the gap separating QoS and SF, because why not?

It is definitely cinematic, especially the opening standalone mission in Greece, which feels right out of a Craig Bond film, with a dash of Brosnan (which is fair, considering the writer of GE and TND scripted it). I could picture Bond gliding on parachute to a rich man's yacht, kicking men off as he goes, and then dodging the gun fire of a renegade helicopter as it swoops in to bump him off while he races through the glass-paneled bar at the deck.

The game also kept the personality of Craig's Bond very true, with him being dry throughout. I love the moment in Istanbul where Bond is thrown a hard hat to wear, which he then tosses with abandon (the Craig Bond trademark move) as he goes down to the construction site. I now put the mission of Bond's from the game in my head canon for taking place between the gap separating QoS and SF, because why not?
    Same. The people who complain about how we never see Craig's Bond in his prime should play BS. This is it.

Same. The people who complain about how we never see Craig's Bond in his prime should play BS. This is it.

I just don't get those that say they never get to see him become Bond. He's James Bond from the moment I see him in Madagascar on, so I never have any complaints. A daring, bold, frivolous smart arse? Yep, that's my Bond.
    Precisely!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000

I think the way White talks about Blofeld in SP, just before shooting himself, is an intentional reference to the dialogue between Bond and Nicole at the end of BS. The fact the Bruce Feirstein wrote BS makes me think the EON might have been okay with doing a small intentional nod to BS to wrap up its cliffhanger ending. It was perfect. It closed the story of BS, retconning it to have a connection with Blofeld (just as SP did with CR-SF also), without making it necessary cannon for those who haven't played it.

I think the way White talks about Blofeld in SP, just before shooting himself, is an intentional reference to the dialogue between Bond and Nicole at the end of BS. The fact the Bruce Feirstein wrote BS makes me think the EON might have been okay with doing a small intentional nod to BS to wrap up its cliffhanger ending. It was perfect. It closed the story of BS, retconning it to have a connection with Blofeld (just as SP did with CR-SF also), without making it necessary cannon for those who haven't played it.

I don't really think the game was much on EON's mind while getting SP put together. It's fun how you can connect BS to the era if you wish, but I never get the sense that Blofeld is being implied at the end, nor do I think it works in retcon. It was a good way of them ending a game, being vague enough so as to not screw themselves if another game didn't come around and a revealed villain's plot never got resolved. It's a shame we didn't get a sequel, with Bond going up against a powerful rich tycoon type who could have a hand in private military groups and the like. Essentially, having his own powerful cabal of power.

The man Nicole was speaking of seemed to be more of a doppelganger Bond, a charmer and very manipulative in a warm, secretly sinister way.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,185
    I definitely see Blood Stone as part of Craigs overarching Spectre Story,
    The ending is ambiguous enough that it could be hinting at Blofeld (or Silva, which in hindsight would be the same anyway). And i want the games to be taken serious.

Actually last time i saw Spectre, i was checking every frame of Q's Laptop in hope to see a namedrop from Blood Stone, either the Chinese guy or Nicole. Unfortunately there is nothing.
    I guess a computer rendered Face would have looked strange next to real people
    00Agent wrote: »
    The ending is ambiguous enough that it could be hinting at Blofeld (or Silva, which in hindsight would be the same anyway). And i want the games to be taken serious.

Actually last time i saw Spectre, i was checking every frame of Q's Laptop in hope to see a namedrop from Blood Stone, either the Chinese guy or Nicole. Unfortunately there is nothing.

EON are rather unconnected from the games, so there's not a chance of the games being recognized as canon. It's not just a Bond thing, but how it is for big franchises. The Star Wars games have had the same trials. Of course, more than the games get written off as not being canon in that universe, so Bond has it a bit better.

I do consider BS welcome to the pack, though, and if I was doing a Bondathon run of his films I would happily play the game between watching QoS and SF, as it fits there nicely.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bloodstone had the best depiction of Craig's Bond, and the driving was the best we've seen in a Bond game. But the bizarre lack of a crouch ability, as well as no Bond theme/opening gun barrel, hurt the game.
    Bloodstone had the best depiction of Craig's Bond, and the driving was the best we've seen in a Bond game. But the bizarre lack of a crouch ability, as well as no Bond theme/opening gun barrel, hurt the game.

@MajorDSmythe, yes, another game in that style would need a bit of a tune up in controls. I actually manage to do a lot of the levels stealthily (more than most third person shooting games), but a more focused gameplay mechanic that gave you the ability to fluidly move and take enemies out your way would be great.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Indeed, given how much of a pugilist Craig's Bond is, you would think they Activision would try to capture that in the game. Yes, I would have given Activision another chance, after Bloodstones. Look at the PS2/XBX/GC Bond games. EA didn't get it right first time. AUF was a solid game, but lacking in a few areas. NF comes along, and improves on it's predecessor by polishing the graphics and tweaking the gameplay. And then EON came along, and blurred the lines between the games, and the then cinematic Bond.
    00Agent wrote: »

EON are rather unconnected from the games, so there's not a chance of the games being recognized as canon. It's not just a Bond thing, but how it is for big franchises. The Star Wars games have had the same trials. Of course, more than the games get written off as not being canon in that universe, so Bond has it a bit better.

I do consider BS welcome to the pack, though, and if I was doing a Bondathon run of his films I would happily play the game between watching QoS and SF, as it fits there nicely.

Absolutely.
    any hope that this E3 will give us new james bond video game news?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Risico007 wrote: »
    any hope that this E3 will give us new james bond video game news?
    If we get the distribution deal settled by then.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It would be a nice surprise if a development deal and a new game were announced at E3, but I have no hope it will be.
    Telltale's James Bond 007 the Chronicles
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I really hope not. I'm tired of point and click games getting all the attention.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I really hope not. I'm tired of point and click games get all the attention.

Same here. I don't get the appeal of them, past a more personal story. Give me something more interactive, doubt I'd have an interest in a Telltale Bond title.
    I was just thinking because they have so many licenced properties made into "games" , I just only heard about.

I wouldn't mind. But personally I'd want Hitman or Alpha Protocol type of game.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I really hope not. I'm tired of point and click games get all the attention.

Same here. I don't get the appeal of them, past a more personal story. Give me something more interactive, doubt I'd have an interest in a Telltale Bond title.
    My feelings exactly. I don't want to guide the character in a 3D sidescroll frame with a cursor. I want to fully control him and see the world freely around him.
    But personally I'd want Hitman or Alpha Protocol type of game.
    This. Both combined to one.
    We'll have to see what comes of the new deal made for game with EON and the people doing social/gambling based content with it to find out for sure if there is even a dance for a gaming license to go to serious triple-A developers and publishers for pure Bond games like Blood Stone.

In lieu of all this we need a stellar spy game to keep us company and to show EON there's a market for a Bond spy game done right. I'd love to see an RPG like Alpha Protocol done for the new generation technology, and with the kinds of improvements the original lacked in controls and overall gameplay.

I'd love to have a game where I could do missions all over the world as part of a larger story yet to be revealed until later, all while customizing my own agent in look and skill sets, dressing him how I want, picking my weapons and support team, etc. You could have each chapter of the game take place in one major location, and in each small open world location you could have a big mission (a target or other operation objective) that you have to complete using side missions in that area. You could get information directly and loudly, or go about your mission slower, but also quieter. The variety would be immense.

It's a shame we can't get a Bond game like this, but at this stage and with the stupid deal EON gave to the developers of the mobile titles, I'm not hopeful we'll see a true Bond game we all want for a long time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I believe Syphon Filter was mentioned in this thread before but I've been playing the forth game in the series "The Omega Strain" and it's pretty good. I love that it made it so you could create your own agent character and design his or her looks and outfits. Funny enough I got far enough into it and unlocked a hair style that looks like Pierce's in GoldenEye.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote: »
    I believe Syphon Filter was mentioned in this thread before but I've been playing the forth game in the series "The Omega Strain" and it's pretty good. I love that it made it so you could create your own agent character and design his or her looks and outfits. Funny enough I got far enough into it and unlocked a hair style that looks like Pierce's in GoldenEye.

Shame so much stuff is locked behind the now-dead online. Omega Strain had a lot of replay value, but now that I've got nearly everything, the game has gotten boring. Then there's the horrible stealth levels with mechanics in no way made for stealth. The next two games have perfect stealth mechanics and no stealth levels.

But I love Syphon Filter. It's a series that was cut down before its prime.
    It's always aggravating to play a game that desires you to be stealthy, but that is ironically badly optimized for the stealth you need to complete.