Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    The best Bond could be right now, is a blend between the open world of an Assassin's Creed, with variable mission types (stealth, track, chase) - driving or on foot... And combine that with what the new Hitman game is like...

There's your perfect 007 game.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can see a sandbox Bond game, but an open world? Nah. Won't be cinematic enough.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd prefer another linear game with story missions, perhaps with some sandbox features. Too many games these days are taking the open world route and it doesn't play out as well as many would hope.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd prefer another linear game with story missions, perhaps with some sandbox features. Too many games these days are taking the open world route and it doesn't play out as well as many would hope.
    Yep!
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    You can have an open world, and still have it be a linear story.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    You can have an open world, and still have it be a linear story.

It'd inevitably be a rather barebones, empty open world, with key areas occupying the missions. Wouldn't feel remotely fitting for a James Bond game; I'd sooner have straight-forward missions with a bit of a sandbox feel to them. Like you said earlier, something like the latest 'Hitman' title - not a massive open world, but an 'open' level letting you tackle things the way you went.
    It doesn't need to be a massive open world, but like Hitman, allow just enough room to create your own path to complete a mission, instead of having to stick to the singular one they give you... If that makes sense..
    It doesn't need to be a massive open world, but like Hitman, allow just enough room to create your own path to complete a mission, instead of having to stick to the singular one they give you... If that makes sense..

I'd say past the fact that you'd be given an objective, that's pretty much what a sandbox game is: drop you in a massive building or a limited, playable area, and let you tackle things the way you want to - numerous routes, numerous options, the ability to go in guns blazing or stealthily as possible. I think you and I are in agreement here, we're just describing it in different ways. Wouldn't mind seeing a Bond game like this, that's for sure, but at this point, I'll take just about anything short of a terrible mobile game.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd say past the fact that you'd be given an objective, that's pretty much what a sandbox game is: drop you in a massive building or a limited, playable area, and let you tackle things the way you want to - numerous routes, numerous options, the ability to go in guns blazing or stealthily as possible. I think you and I are in agreement here, we're just describing it in different ways. Wouldn't mind seeing a Bond game like this, that's for sure, but at this point, I'll take just about anything short of a terrible mobile game.

agreed... either sandbox or narrative heavy (ie: The Last Of Us or Uncharted) i'll take either, as long as it's properly executed and is fun to play and replay... honestly though - multiplayer is one thing that i wouldn't miss if it were taken out of the next game.... its been so dodgy in the past, plus, i can't help but think that spending time creating a multiplayer, takes time away from making the full game itself the best it can be... i would rather take an excellent single player story mode, with no multiplayer - than a mediocre single player and a mediocre/poor multiplayer... besides, i dont need a Bond multiplayer mode trying to compete with all the other multiplayer games out there... just give me a great story to play through, and maybe some DLC missions at later dates, to hold over until the next game is released... that is it.
    Don't see the point in multiplayer myself. I wouldn't miss it if they disappear.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I prefer multiplayer when I've got a friend over. I've honestly never saw the appeal of online multiplayer. Whenever I did it, I'd have terrible lag and got so frustrated I quit and got a penalty.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Don't see the point in multiplayer myself. I wouldn't miss it if they disappear.

My thoughts exactly. Junk multiplayer, and focus on the single player mode.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

i certainly don't need it either.
    And i don't think the game would loose potential sales without a multiplayer.
    Not when it's a game that has a strong focus on narrative and a story campaign anyway.
    Thats what people would buy it for

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The problem would be realizing that kind of approach in this gaming climate, where so many games are built as multiplayer experiences first, and single-player efforts second. You'd hope developers out there getting the license would be able to see what was needed in a Bond game and what wasn't, but because the games have had such a rich multiplayer history, I don't see a Bond game being made that goes without it.

It would actually be great fun to have a game that had a strong single-player, but also a great and fleshed out multiplayer too that did the fun things the Star Wars Battlefront game did, adding in Barry's original scores as we play on maps built around classic locations from the old films, like Dr. No's lair, FRWL's gypsy camp, Largo's Palmyra, Blofeld's volcano lair, Piz Gloria, etc. It would be a big load of fan service, but if the quality of the gameplay was high and the past locations of vintage Bond were as well realized as those in DICE's engine were for Star Wars, I'd be playing it constantly.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,490
    I enjoy a good multiplayer game, but not when it's needlessly tacked on, like the 'Assassin's Creed' titles did after a while. Some games really excel at it, like 'Overwatch' - online only game that incorporates random player-vs-AI events every so often. One of the best online shooters I've had the enjoyment of playing.

If QoS was still popular and was on next-gen systems, I'd still be playing that multiplayer, too; was so much fun, especially with friends.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I actually really enjoy good online multiplayer. I still frequently play GE Wii multiplayer. However, I don't think it should ever be the focus of a new Bond game, and even the multiplayer should focus on local more than online. I think many games lately have focused on online multiplayer so much, simply because it makes games harder to pirate, which is a pretty lousy way for devs to attempt to combat it.
    The problem would be realizing that kind of approach in this gaming climate, where so many games are built as multiplayer experiences first, and single-player efforts second. You'd hope developers out there getting the license would be able to see what was needed in a Bond game and what wasn't, but because the games have had such a rich multiplayer history, I don't see a Bond game being made that goes without it.

Uncharted - zero multiplayer
    The Last Of Us - zero multiplayer
    The Batman Arkham Series - zero multiplayer

thats 3 games right off the top of my head that are extremely successful without a multiplayer mode - or a traditional multiplayer vs-mode... if you can't hook people with the game itself, no one will care about the multiplayer.... and i've actually seen a shift in gaming, where more people are starting to want a richer single player narrative with their games - than something simply thrown together just to sidecar onto a multiplayer platform.... not saying multiplayer isn't something that can still work - but it has to be done right - and just a simple vs-mode doesn't really cut it for me anymore, when there are 10-20 games out there that do it better.
    I personally wouldn't mind with the inclusion of that mode but only if it's treated as a secondary object, or even with a lower priority than that. A Bond game should be story/SP campaign-focused first and foremost. Once they complete work on that one, then they can start working on multiplayer. More than a deathmatch, I'd rather multiplayers have a purpose to them too. Like being co-op story mode campaigns.
    @haserot, didn't every 'Uncharted' installment contain multiplayer except for the first one, though? 'The Last Of Us' had multiplayer, as well.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Correct, @Creasy47, Uncharted 2 & 3 and The Last Of Us all had (unneeded) multiplayer modes.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Uncharted - zero multiplayer
    The Last Of Us - zero multiplayer
    The Batman Arkham Series - zero multiplayer

thats 3 games right off the top of my head that are extremely successful without a multiplayer mode - or a traditional multiplayer vs-mode... if you can't hook people with the game itself, no one will care about the multiplayer.... and i've actually seen a shift in gaming, where more people are starting to want a richer single player narrative with their games - than something simply thrown together just to sidecar onto a multiplayer platform.... not saying multiplayer isn't something that can still work - but it has to be done right - and just a simple vs-mode doesn't really cut it for me anymore, when there are 10-20 games out there that do it better.

@haserot, as it has been pointed out, every Uncharted game after 1 had a big multiplayer component, as did The Last of Us. Batman: Arkham Origins also had a multiplayer during that franchise's run.

Those examples are partly why I say the industry is the way it is. The big dogs have multiplayer, and that's how it is.
    Assassin's Creed is one that seems to have ditched the multiplayer completely as of Syndicate. Which I think is a shame because the multiplayer from Brotherhood to IV was actually something different and interesting, and co-op in Unity was one of the few things I enjoyed in that game.

I think ideally Bond should have multiplayer. There was nothing like ppayong as classic characters running around killing eachother in iconic Bond locations in Goldeneye and Nightfire. I don't see the harm in bringing that back. If they go for an FPS game then they could use that to market the game: everyone has fond memories of GE's multiplayer. They could sell it as a spiritual successor (although I guess that's what the COD clone 2010 version was meant to be).
    @thelivingroyle, I think Ubisoft wanted to just put all their work towards the single player of Syndicate to avoid a lack of vision or focus in that department. I don't think they succeeded beyond a painfully average effort, however.

I guess it's just because I'm Creeded out. I don't even care for the next one coming out, which will no doubt be teased at this year's E3 Ubi conference. After Ezio the series faltered, and Black Flag is the only one that's really impressed me since, which is funny since that's not even considered a proper AC game by many. AC is just a perfect example of the Call of Duty Effect: give gamers the same experience over and over with minor changes or little attention paid to fixing what doesn't work, and be prepared to face the consequences.

And yet Ubisoft still put so much emphasis on the goddamn present day story that has only become more convoluted and uninteresting post-Desmond's arc, despite the fact that most gamers buy the titles just to screw around in different time periods and don't care about any of that. The series just doesn't feel like it has much left in it if it doesn't really revamp itself soon. If the next one feels and looks the same as usual, we'll know a lesson hasn't been learned. Hopefully Ubi's decision to avoid doing annual releases will result in games that aren't disappointments and that have actual time spent focusing on fixing what the others have failed at doing.
    I'm very burnt out on the series, too, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. 'Assassin's Creed 3' killed all interest for me, haven't tried out an installment since nor will I (unless I go with the 'Assassin's Creed 2' Remaster, that game was incredible stuff).
    @Creasy47, I think you'd really dig Black Flag. It's one of my favorite open world games, the characters are lively and fun, but there's also a through-line message to the project that goes deeper and portrays really strong and powerful events in their lives. As I mentioned above, it's also the least AC feeling AC game. You're more of a pirate than an assassin, and that actually makes the game feel more exciting. The focus is on exploration, not assassinating, and it's by far the most diverse and fun AC game for me.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah the present day story has always been the worst thing about the series imo. A framing device for a franchise that didn't really need one. It's pretty much gone now though thankfully (in Unity and Syndicate it was limited to a couple of short cut scenes) and I actually liked how they did it in the film, they made it a lot more exciting there (visually and in terms of the plot).

Syndicate I thought was a step back in the right direction after Unity. The plot wasn't great but the characters were original, fleshed out and developed well over time. The villain was one of the best in the series too. And it was very fun. Jumping off trains, fighting on top of carriages, taking part in underground fight clubs, I felt that there was a lot more variety in what to do than there was in Unity. It did feel a bit light though, there wasn't as much emotion and intensity as the best in the series have.

I disagree on it being the same thing. The only title that really felt similar to the last for me was Revelations (understandable since they apparently made it at the last minute because AC 3 wasn't ready on time), but even then I loved it because of the setting and the story. Apart from that they always feel like new experiences. I really don't understand how someone can look at the jump from the Ezio trilogy to AC 3, or from Black Flag to Unity, and say they don't see a difference. Not just in graphics but in terms of gameplay mechanics, stuff to do, etc. I can understand people being burnt out on the annual releases (personally though I enjoyed having a new one every year) but I don't think the games are all the same at all. I also don't think they don't pay attention to detail: one of the reasons I fell in love with the series was because of the attention to detail. There isn't just the amazing open worlds but there's the way that the stories tie into real history, the massive encyclopedia entries that come with every game, etc. The different settings alone do a lot to differentiate them (Black Flag for example, a pirate game, is nothing like the industrial set Syndicate). They have their faults but to me, the series has never felt rushed or lacking in detail. The only one that came close to feeling like that was Rogue but again, the story was so good there that it's one of my favourites.
    OK, I misspoke about the multiplayer... But the multiplayer isn't what jumps out at you when you think of those series? Fair enough?
    'Black Flag' didn't look any different to me than 'Assassin's Creed 3.' I'm sure it was also littered with ridiculous mission requirements that the completionist in me couldn't pass up, alongside horrid bugs (that would hopefully be ironed out by this point).
    Not a completionist so the optional mission requirements never bugged me (to be fair, they are optional) and I don't remember Black Flag being glitchy. The only game that seemed to get a blacklash for that was Unity but even then that seemed to be sorted by the time I got it.

Whether or not you'd enjoy Black Flag really depends why you didn't like AC 3 @Creasy47. The combat and parkour is pretty much the same. But the naval stuff is massively improved, expanded on and intergrated into the world in such a way that it feels like a whole new game. Exploration is a lot different because of the ship, just being able to sail around and go to any island or attack and try to board any ship gives an amazing sense of freedom (the world opens up quicker than in AC 3 too). The world is just as detailed as AC 3 but looks even better (it is the carribean after all). All the side content was a lot more meaningful and fun (the diving sections were a personal highlight but I was also partial to bar fights and taking over island forts) and while the missions are still fairly linear, a lot of the assassination missions are much more open (and the assassination contracts, optional side missions, are brilliant). The story is also very different and touches on very different themes.

Black Flag generally tends to be one of the games enjoyed whether you're a fan or not, it got very good reviews and feedback at the time so if it sounds appealing to you as a game (open world pirate assassin game) it might be worth checking out some day as it'll be quite cheap by now. I loved it, but I also really enjoyed AC 3 so I'm probably not the best recommendation for you.
    @thelivingroyale, I know they're optional, but if it's tied to a trophy, I'm going for it, so in my case, it really isn't. If it's all pretty much the same as AC3, I definitely wouldn't enjoy it. Besides, if I haven't given it a go after these last few years, then I doubt I ever do. Series doesn't do anything for me anymore, sadly, though the first two titles were absolutely incredible.