Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The game was pretty hard too. I need to replay it one of these days. A lot of the levels felt right at home for a Bond type game. The stealth did suck though. I tried hiding in the dark and was still spotted by scientists who you couldn't kill and they sounded the alarm and I failed the mission. Ugh.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    More modern games need to develop stealth gameplay around sticking to shadows. I remember the first Spider-Man movie game had that system in a few levels, and it worked surprisingly well. And it makes sense: in the dark, you're safe, in the light, you're vulnerable.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Play Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow and you'll be begging for stealth levels. Those mechanics would work so well with stealth.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's always aggravating to play a game that desires you to be stealthy, but that is ironically badly optimized for the stealth you need to complete.

That describes quite a few games these days, unfortunately. Any stealth-driven game tends to be wonky with its rules and consistency. Hell, 'Hitman' was my favorite title last year, and that one is 100% built on stealth, but I still shake my head when guards spot me through staircases or the tiniest slivers of window openings.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's always aggravating to play a game that desires you to be stealthy, but that is ironically badly optimized for the stealth you need to complete.

That describes quite a few games these days, unfortunately. Any stealth-driven game tends to be wonky with its rules and consistency. Hell, 'Hitman' was my favorite title last year, and that one is 100% built on stealth, but I still shake my head when guards spot me through staircases or the tiniest slivers of window openings.

Sounds like the series' stealth mechanics has devolved since Blood Money, to the 'Agent 47 farts a mile away, and guards still hear him' stealth of the earlier games.

Sounds like the series' stealth mechanics has devolved since Blood Money, to the 'Agent 47 farts a mile away, and guards still hear him' stealth of the earlier games.

It's very inconsistent at times, to say the least. Can stand ten feet away from someone in a similar outfit who can definitely see through my disguise, but nothing happens; other times, I'll use Instinct and see nobody even remotely close to me, and yet I'm in the midst of being spotted. It's pretty annoying; all I ask for is consistency across the board in games, which is too much to ask, apparently. Would be nice in games such as this if the AI and the user playing the game abided by the same exact logic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

It's very inconsistent at times, to say the least. Can stand ten feet away from someone in a similar outfit who can definitely see through my disguise, but nothing happens; other times, I'll use Instinct and see nobody even remotely close to me, and yet I'm in the midst of being spotted. It's pretty annoying; all I ask for is consistency across the board in games, which is too much to ask, apparently. Would be nice in games such as this if the AI and the user playing the game abided by the same exact logic.

@Creasy47, in the Hitman games the gameplay concept of disguise and Instinct is already pretty faulty, since it logically requires that every enemy NPC who could spot you knows all of their fellow employees-regardless of rank-just by a quick glance and always knows instantly that you aren't one of them. Which is just bogus. Imagine...

[47 walks by with his hand covering his face]

Generic baddie #1: "Hey, Jerry. Does that guy look...different to you?

Generic baddie #2: "Different? Nah, that was Johnson. He always looks like that."

Generic baddie #1: "No, Johnson is on sick leave. Mumps. And he can't be Ronnie, Tyler, Jacob or Willie, because they all went off shift three hours ago. And it can't be Tommy, Terry, Rickie, Johnny or Sal because they don't work on holidays. That leaves Mick, but I just talked to him at lunch and he had on a different shirt than that guy. Anyway, I think we should keep our eye on him. The boss coulda planted a spy to see if we were workin' diligently. Might want to fire the lazy ones on the shift."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Blood Money was more forgiving with the disguises, so long as you didn't arse about, you'd be fine. Stealth was an unfamiliar concept in Absolution. Codename 47, Silent Assassin & Contracts were very unforgiving. Never mind about putting on any disguises, they could see through the disguise before you even put the disk in the machine.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, just finished a Professional Difficulty run of the Sapienza level, where I disguised myself as a VERY well known psychologist. The only problem? 47 looks like he has a bad case of alopecia, whereas the good doctor has a lovely head of hair with a goatee. Sure enough, I walk through the beautiful town listening to everyone greet me. That's the type of consistency I can forgive, because if it was realistic, then everyone would see through the disguise and there would be no point.

I just think the AI have a bit of an advantage over me for no reason at all, and it's pretty irritating at times. They can snipe you with perfect accuracy from any range, and yet the recoil on most guns is atrocious, as is the range for one-hit-kills. Watching random civilians pass through areas that require keycards or are locked off to the general population is annoying, too; I can't do it, but they can.
    @Creasy47, do you think the Hitman devs made the guns bad to shoot purposefully to motivate players do all the levels more stealthily?
    @Creasy47, do you think the Hitman devs made the guns bad to shoot purposefully to motivate players do all the levels more stealthily?

That's 100% the reason why; which is odd, considering the last few installments seemed to heavily promote making batshit-insane loadouts and gunning your way through armies of men to get to your target. I think they focused so heavily on the Opportunities and Challenges that they forgot that some people may want to play the game guns blazing, which is what I'm feeling from time to time, especially since I've completed most of the Opportunities I was interested in in every level. Doesn't hurt to give you two avenues to take, so hopefully that is rectified come Season Two.
    @Creasy47, so have they technically released all the content connected to this newest Hitman game over these past few months, and have already started on new content for a new game (for a season two), or did they simply split the whole game into two seasons of the same connecting story? I haven't really been keeping up with the game after they lost me with the episodic releases.
    @Creasy47, so have they technically released all the content connected to this newest Hitman game over these past few months, and have already started on new content for a new game (for a season two), or did they simply split the whole game into two seasons of the same connecting story? I haven't really been keeping up with the game after they lost me with the episodic releases.

The meat of the content is now out, but they still release stuff on a monthly basis - Elusive Targets, new contracts, patches, etc. I've no idea what'll be going on with season two, other than it's in development, but this definitely doesn't feel like a game that was split in two just so the developers could make more money. I spent $60 for the Full Experience and got wayyyy more than I paid for, I feel like.

The meat of the content is now out, but they still release stuff on a monthly basis - Elusive Targets, new contracts, patches, etc. I've no idea what'll be going on with season two, other than it's in development, but this definitely doesn't feel like a game that was split in two just so the developers could make more money. I spent $60 for the Full Experience and got wayyyy more than I paid for, I feel like.

That's interesting. It makes me wonder what the plan is going to be for season two, then. If it's fresh content they could still wrap it up under this newest Hitman title, or do the same episodic release and call it a different game. It seems like they are now using the episodic model for Hitman into the future now, instead of as a one time experiment.
    I'm under the impression it'll have the same exact look as the first one (unless they slightly tweak the graphics/lighting/etc.) while marketed as Season Two. I do hope they can add in new stuff past the levels/targets, preferably much more for customization and accessibility (like the beautiful briefcase from the old installments that allowed you to steathily carry a sniper rifle around wherever you wanted).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The James Bond character model by Darren Pattenden for the intended follow-up to Everything or Nothing that was set to come out in 2005. Nothing short of BRILLIANCE!

darren-pattenden-brosnan-turn.jpg?1481757968

That haircut and formal parting suits Brosnan to a tee, I say!

@00Agent, @BMW_with_missiles, @MajorDSmythe, @Creasy47, @Murdock
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That looks great. It's a shame that game never saw the light of day.
    jake24 wrote: »
    It did, @jake24. As From Russia with Love. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I know. It was my understanding that the game turned into FRWL once the Bond role was vacant following Brosnan's departure.
    I know. It was my understanding that the game turned into FRWL once the Bond role was vacant following Brosnan's departure.
    Yep! That's precisely what happened.

The original opening for FRWL in the game was derived from a concept intended for the Bond6 game (The working title of it was called that). Elements of that concept was later used in the opening for Blood Stone.

The original opening for FRWL in the game was derived from a concept intended for the Bond6 game (The working title of it was called that). Elements of that concept was later used in the opening for Blood Stone.
    Didn't know that! Wasn't some of the game's CG work recycled for this GE Rogue Agent commercial?

Didn't know that! Wasn't some of the game's CG work recycled for this GE Rogue Agent commercial?

It definitely did. And that commercial, as well, was intended for Bond6.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    The James Bond character model by Darren Pattenden for the intended follow-up to Everything or Nothing that was set to come out in 2005. Nothing short of BRILLIANCE!

Awesome! It astonishes me how much detail EA was able to put in their character models on the hardware of that generation. It was a time when devs actually put care into the Bond license. I miss those days.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423

Awesome! It astonishes me how much detail EA was able to put in their character models on the hardware of that generation. It was a time when devs actually put care into the Bond license. I miss those days.
    Definitely! Electronic Arts of the yesteryear truly did treat the Bond license like AAA material and with utmost care, always tending to put their best to make the game look spectacular in every sense.

Activision, on the other hand... Low budget Call of Duty and Gears of War clones.
    2001-2004 was the best time for Bond games. It's been a while since I played any of those 3 games, I might have to revisit them sometime soon.
    Most certainly, Major. I'd also include 2005 for FRWL.

FRWL certainly had it's good points. But EA should have toned down the action to make it a spy thriller like the film. Parts like the Gypsy Camp translated perfectly fine to the game. The train shootout however,,,

I did really like the option to change Bonds clothing once you had found the clothing sets. You can't beat going into battle, with Bond immaculately dressed in his dinner jacket.

FRWL certainly had it's good points. But EA should have toned down the action to make it a spy thriller like the film. Parts like the Gypsy Camp translated perfectly fine to the game. The train shootout however,,,

I did really like the option to change Bonds clothing once you had found the clothing sets. You can't beat going into battle, with Bond immaculately dressed in his dinner jacket.
    I agree. FRWL will always be a great game for me just because it's set in the early 1960s and features Connery as Bond. However, I don't see the logic in trying to make a game based on FRWL when TB itself was the more action packed adventure.

...Or even better they should've come up with an original storyline.

I agree. FRWL will always be a great game for me just because it's set in the early 1960s and features Connery as Bond. However, I don't see the logic in trying to make a game based on FRWL when TB itself was the more action packed adventure.

Yes, exactly. Set it between films, with it not being based on any one film, but capturing the era it is apart of (like like EON being Brosnans 5th Bond) and that would have allowed EA to get away with piling on the action.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,000

That's one thing that confuses me about FRWL. They picked the lowest action Bond film of the 60's to adapt into a video game. I can actually see a reason why they might have avoided GF; It's almost too iconic to touch. No matter how good the game was, it likely would never be seen as good enough by fans. To leave TB on the table, however, is strange. I also think they could have done something interesting with YOLT.