Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

People definitely had rose-tinted glasses for the old games, which also had some iffy writing, voice acting, face/body modeling and all the rest at times. I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but so many consumers in every industry today seem so goddamn cynical about anything that is put out. If they don't enjoy a game they can't just simply state their dislike and move on, they have to mount a flame war over it as if the game disc morphed into a hand and bitch slapped them across the face for days on end. It smacks of such a first world mentality.

It really is a shame, especially because Andromeda is a great game. There's even more potential for future storylines coming out of it than there were heading out of the original ME game, which pretty much had you locked in on a confrontation with the Reapers, which you know exactly when and where it was going to happen from the jump. There's no such predictability about where Andromeda's future storylines could go because they could go in many different directions.

Hopefully EA wises up and continues on with the franchise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dalton wrote: »
    People definitely had rose-tinted glasses for the old games, which also had some iffy writing, voice acting, face/body modeling and all the rest at times. I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but so many consumers in every industry today seem so goddamn cynical about anything that is put out. If they don't enjoy a game they can't just simply state their dislike and move on, they have to mount a flame war over it as if the game disc morphed into a hand and bitch slapped them across the face for days on end. It smacks of such a first world mentality.

It really is a shame, especially because Andromeda is a great game. There's even more potential for future storylines coming out of it than there were heading out of the original ME game, which pretty much had you locked in on a confrontation with the Reapers, which you know exactly when and where it was going to happen from the jump. There's no such predictability about where Andromeda's future storylines could go because they could go in many different directions.

Hopefully EA wises up and continues on with the franchise.

This knee-jerk reaction of Bioware changing their plans after Andromeda has been reported elsewhere, it's just a shame it might be true. It's a too common practice these days, where teams change their vision just because the internet decided to overreact on them in a collective effort.
    As a result, I'll be less likely to buy the next ME game, unless it carries on from Andromeda. If they're going to hit the reboot button, I'm not shelling out my money for it until the second game arrives on consoles. Not getting invested in the world and characters again only to have it pulled out from under me like I did with this one. Heck, this game was the only reason that I wanted a next-Gen console in the first place.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I'm equally playing both Nightfire and Everything or Nothing on a GameCube emulator, right now. With both having a close set up (with keyboard and mouse nonetheless) to what they would have seemed like had they been Windows PC video games, and I'm having helluva of a time with them both.

The way they're enhanced to whichever graphical quality my computer would allow all look totally utterly solid. It just shows how much care was given to both of these titles and how both were treated like AAA game projects rather than just strapping cliches and weakly reckless development like the Activision titles for example.

Nightfire:
    8ZIYRA8.png
    Q9Aq2x4.jpg
    eUD6S8C.jpg
    guY9jYE.jpg
    0AW88HF.jpg
    jIMqCM3.jpg

Everything or Nothing:
    X6GLxzI.jpg
    GeXEvcp.png
    Bs4U65T.jpg
    U0EztNn.jpg

Wow! Those look beautiful!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Nightfire aged slightly better than EoN. And I prefer EoN, so that's saying something coming from me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Definitely, @Agent007391. Nightfire's engine somewhat is too strong. EoN runs smoothly about 95% of the times without frame-drops, but Nightfire suffers from it more often than imaginable. A 15 year old game having hard time to cope with a 2017 Dell computer with modern day Intel graphic card...

They definitely upped the quality with Nightfire.

Although, from the graphical point of view, the 3D character models in EoN had seen quite the improvement over its previous release. More realistic in build and better shaped.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think both NF and EON have aged really well, especially when you remember that the youngest of the two is now 13 years old.
    Everything or Nothing, I'll admit, has a better gameplay for a console whereas Nightfire is purely a PC game. I wish the actual PC version was a direct port of it, but instead they went ahead and made an inferior game.
    Everything or Nothing, I'll admit, has a better gameplay for a console whereas Nightfire is purely a PC game. I wish the actual PC version was a direct port of it, but instead they went ahead and made an inferior game.

Does anyone know why that happened? Why didn't they just port over the console version?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423

Does anyone know why that happened? Why didn't they just port over the console version?
    It's more of a mystery to me why they didn't use the id Tech 3 engine and strapped on GoldSRC (a 1997 engine) instead. I'm guessing the Eurocom version of the game was too heavy, which could be why they made a weaker game. But, that still doesn't excuse the GoldSRC engine. Seriously. A five year old engine.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,000

It's more of a mystery to me why they didn't use the id Tech 3 engine and strapped on GoldSRC (a 1997 engine) instead. I'm guessing the Eurocom version of the game was too heavy, which could be why they made a weaker game. But, that still doesn't excuse the GoldSRC engine. Seriously. A five year old engine.

It seems like such a waste of time and money for them to build an entirely new game, in an inferior engine as you note, rather than just porting it over. Similar situation with TWINE PS1 and N64.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    The PS1 and N64 situation is understandable, since PS1 isn't that strong compared to N64 (I mean, the PS1 video card would've fried with GoldenEye 007 in less than a minute). However, BlackOps Entertainment weren't the best developers out there to choose. They could've gone with the ones who did Medal of Honor.
    on Xbox 360 Bourne Conspiracy I actually beat castle this time so now it's a whole new game to me as I am playing levels I never played before (the car chase though made me miss Batman Begins the game as it felt oddly similar)

on my phone Injustice 2 mobile version (which I will likely buy the real game when I get around to buying an Xboxone)

on NES Batman NES and Super Mario Brothers 3 lol
    What's everyone's thoughts on Injustice 2?
    I told myself that I'd wait and get it once it was cheap but now that it's almost out and I see all the cool stuff you can do I'm more on the fence now.... maybe I want it day 1 instead, lol

Injustice was a decent game with a fun story but it looks like they kicked it up to an 11 for the sequel.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I just found an emulator for GoldenEye 007 64 and Perfect Dark (it apparently only works with those) that allows them to be played like a regular PC FPS, with mouse/keyboard support. It doesn't exactly work great on my laptop, but it's still a fun new way to play GoldenEye since my N64 has gone the way of the dodo.
    I just found an emulator for GoldenEye 007 64 and Perfect Dark (it apparently only works with those) that allows them to be played like a regular PC FPS, with mouse/keyboard support. It doesn't exactly work great on my laptop, but it's still a fun new way to play GoldenEye since my N64 has gone the way of the dodo.
    Oh yes, I have that version, too. While the mouse sensitivity needs quite a lot of work, it's satisfying to play a console game like a PC game.
    Anybody here played Alan Wake? It's about to go on sale on Steam before it gets removed completely and I wanted to know if it's worth the 8gigs it requires from my hard drive.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,000
    I've been playing Prey for the past few days. It starts very slow, but I'm starting to like it more and more as I progress.
    Anybody here played Alan Wake? It's about to go on sale on Steam before it gets removed completely and I wanted to know if it's worth the 8gigs it requires from my hard drive.
    I played the first, @Agent007391. It begins interestingly and even though it has driving elements as well as third person shooter, you often find yourself overpowered as the player character which didn't bode well with me, even though I was enjoying myself at first in the survival horror creepy land of forests and lakes. But, the ending left me unsatisfied and almost disappointed. It's an interactive movie for the most part, but with interesting concepts. I say try it. But, don't look for a fun gameplay because it certainly isn't. Just interesting.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Lego Star Wars - The Force Awakens.

Had to get my Star Wars fix somehow. Surprisingly addictive. Even after playing through the story. Couple of missions outside of the main story and lots of mini-missions and sidequest gameplay.

It's also nice to hear the full cast. Even Ford and Fisher(RIP) recorded some new dialogue for this game.
    I was unaware that Titanfall 2 was such a sales failure. It's a sad thing too; it's the best game I've ever played. Once again, a stupid move by a major game company kills a good game. EA released TF2 sandwiched between BF1 and COD:IW, killing it's chances. Reminds me of what Activision did to Bloodstone by releasing it the same day as GE Wii. I was fully expecting a sequel in the future, but that seems uncertain now.

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    maxresdefault.jpg

I believe it just released a couple months ago but I just noticed it on the Playstation Network. It's a fun indie game that has a few jump scares and a story that pulls you in. It was only $15 or $20 so it was money well spent.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 70

A bit late to the discussion, but both the id Tech 3 engine and the GoldSrc engine are derivatives of the id Tech 1 engine, the engine from 1995 most popular for being used in Quake. Valve bought the licence to the engine and and developed it seperately from the Id who also developed it further themselves. Also, the first GoldSrc game came out in 1998 (Half-Life) and the Quake 3, which uses Id Tech 3, came out the year after so they shouldn't be that far apart. But Id Tech 3 is more customizable and easier to work with, looking at the games that uses Id Tech 3.

Also, the driving segments of Nightfire uses another engine and that's also another reason why it would be difficult to port it to PC, unlike consoles that can change programs on the run easily.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Hopefully you picked this one up, especially since a licensing issue caused it to be so damn cheap. One of the most engrossing games I've ever played, felt like I was playing inside 'Twin Peaks' if it was co-written by Stephen King. Terrific game, can't hurt to try it out if you still have the opportunity.
    I did, and I've enjoyed it so far.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I did, and I've enjoyed it so far.

I'd love for a sequel to see the light of day, but given the development hell the first game went through, and just how long ago it all was, I'm not sure if they'd do one. I've heard rumblings and rumors about it, and I believe they have a few new games they're working on, but no idea whether or not any of that pertains to a sequel. A man can dream.

Check out the DLC if you get the opportunity, as well. Short, but fun.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Injustice 2
    hqdefault.jpg

I'm enjoying it more than the first game so far. I think I'm about to beat the story and if I am, it feels a lot shorter than the first game.
    Gummy wrote: »

A bit late to the discussion, but both the id Tech 3 engine and the GoldSrc engine are derivatives of the id Tech 1 engine, the engine from 1995 most popular for being used in Quake. Valve bought the licence to the engine and and developed it seperately from the Id who also developed it further themselves. Also, the first GoldSrc game came out in 1998 (Half-Life) and the Quake 3, which uses Id Tech 3, came out the year after so they shouldn't be that far apart. But Id Tech 3 is more customizable and easier to work with, looking at the games that uses Id Tech 3.

Also, the driving segments of Nightfire uses another engine and that's also another reason why it would be difficult to port it to PC, unlike consoles that can change programs on the run easily.
    GoldSrc, factually, is id Tech 2. The World Is Not Enough for the PC port (as well as the PS2) was being built on id Tech 3, so putting Nightfire on an already outdated engine was a step backwards rather than forward. The reason, officially, is not disclosed, but with prediction, the PC port was on a low budget and wasn't given the main focus, which is why it's not the most remembered version when it comes to the brand name. With a game offering advanced mechanics, id Tech 2 wasn't the right engine for it. It struggled with too many features, an example of which is the leaning aside movement. You can't pull it off easily. There's a reason why id Tech 3 was serviceable for too many years, whereas its predecessor wasn't.
    wonder-woman-998859.jpg

There's a big Wonder Woman movie related update coming soon for Injustice 2. Man, just wait till Justice League comes out!
    That's erm... tantalizing chest. ;)