Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Do any of you play GTA Online? How is it now? I tried it when they first released it and really
    didn't like it but it was very broken and barebones at the time. I've seen the trailers for the last few updates and it looks pretty cool, and online heists do sound fun. I'd imagine it's a lot less glitchy now but how's everything else? Is the character creator any better for example, and is it a bit less money grabbing? (I remember not being able to store the nicer cars I'd stolen for instance, could only keep them if I bought them off the website, and everything seemed a lot more expensive than in singleplayer).

Definitely not, unfortunately. If you aren't willing to shell out real cash for in-game currency, then there's no point, as it takes an unimaginable amount of time to earn enough money for most of the essential online stuff. It's a real shame, particularly since the single player DLC for GTA IV was cracking, and we didn't get a single bit of it for this one.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Do any of you play GTA Online? How is it now? I tried it when they first released it and really
    didn't like it but it was very broken and barebones at the time. I've seen the trailers for the last few updates and it looks pretty cool, and online heists do sound fun. I'd imagine it's a lot less glitchy now but how's everything else? Is the character creator any better for example, and is it a bit less money grabbing? (I remember not being able to store the nicer cars I'd stolen for instance, could only keep them if I bought them off the website, and everything seemed a lot more expensive than in singleplayer).

I half agree with what @Creasy47 said. When the game first released it's online was dull and broken. Today, however, it is much better. Everything is still expensive but there is more to do. I'm still no too fond of the heists but other things are fun.
    Still though, the single-player campaign is the better of the two.

I half agree with what @Creasy47 said. When the game first released it's online was dull and broken. Today, however, it is much better. Everything is still expensive but there is more to do. I'm still no too fond of the heists but other things are fun.
    Still though, the single-player campaign is the better of the two.

Indeed. It's in a better shape, for sure, and they've added some really crazy new modes, vehicles, and weapons for free, but overall, it's not the type of post-launch support I expect from a company like Rockstar. They technically didn't have to give us anything extra, and I applaud it all for being completely free, but I would've much rather had paid post-launch story mode DLC instead.
    @Creasy47 I completely agree with you there. I would've much rather of had DLC for the story mode instead. I think Rockstar should focus more on their single player stuff and maybe hand off the multiplayer to another company that can do more with it.
    @Creasy47 I completely agree with you there. I would've much rather of had DLC for the story mode instead. I think Rockstar should focus more on their single player stuff and maybe hand off the multiplayer to another company that can do more with it.

I fear we're in for more of the same when 'Red Dead Redemption 2' drops, but I do hope I'm wrong.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@thelivingroyale, I play the online off and on whenever I want to cause a little chaos. It's certainly a less buggy game now, but there's still a lot of issues with it from a top level management perspective. Rockstar have essentially made it so that you can only buy little to nothing in the released DLCs without ponying up real world cash to buy what they call shark cards (in game currency converted from real life $$$), so you don't really get to experience the content in the game unless your friends have the stuff. You can grind to get some cash, but even after playing for a full day of real life time, you won't get much at all, barely a million depending on what modes you're playing. Rockstar also patch every mission or mode that helps people make money, and so much has been nerfed that there's no point in playing it to make money.

I just do missions from time to time, just to have fun for short spurts. If you go into the game wanting to buy everything and make money, you'll get nowhere. It is good for a few hours of fun lonesome or with friends, and there are fun modes. It's just not an online that reinvents the wheel in any way, shape or form.

I'm upset that the online has been such a financial crutch for Rockstar, because the massive amount of money they've made from people buying shark cards pretty much ruled out any chance of them doing any single player DLC. They could make far more money by focusing on semi-frequent updates than by doing a full fledged minor DLC for the story, and that's exactly what they have done. I don't blame them for going with the option that gets them the most money, as it's a hard industry to profit in at times for how much cash it takes to make games, but the way they've gone about it fits the bad image gaming publishers now have, with their focus on micro-transactions and overall greedy practices.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I fear we're in for more of the same when 'Red Dead Redemption 2' drops, but I do hope I'm wrong.

@Creasy47, I'm curious how the online for RDR2 will be as well. At the very least, I think it'll be a lot more fun and less of a pain than GTA Online's has been. Because it'll be set in the old west you'll never have to worry about some jackass flying up to you in a jet and blowing you up, or another from shooting you with an RPG or blowing you up with C4 and a tank at every spawn point. Because of the reigned in and simple nature of the guns in the game the decrease in player griefing should work in the online's favor. Players will have to actually face each other gun for gun, instead of leaning on overpowered weapons to do the job. The only true advantage in the game would be a strong sniper rifle, but that's where it would begin and end, as even dynamite would require you to get really close to the other players. That's bad news for trolls, as they commonly suck at playing the game without all the crutches of overpowered weaponry.
    If it's anything like the online for RDR, it'll be pretty dull until you get into the towns, where people camp on rooftops and snipe you no matter where you go. Hopefully there's some tweaking so it's not one massive troll fest like GTA Online.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If it's anything like the online for RDR, it'll be pretty dull until you get into the towns, where people camp on rooftops and snipe you no matter where you go. Hopefully there's some tweaking so it's not one massive troll fest like GTA Online.

I think RDR2 will be programmed like GTA Online, but in the west. In the sense that you create a character new to the area and have to build up your worth as a bounty hunter or outlaw through numerous DLCs and all the rest. It'll have more structure and purpose behind it than RDR's, which was a very prototypical, by having frequent updates and patches to improve the experience. As I said, the lack of high-tech weapons should also help to decrease insanely annoying griefing as before.

I hope they have an actual character customization system this time, as the one for GTA online was embarrassingly poor on release. The current-gen version of the customizer was a lot better, but still could use tweaking to be truly special.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,000
    I just went to attempt to play some Bloodstone online multiplayer on PS3 and it keeps saying "Connection Error." My internet is working fine, I was signed in, and I checked the PS3's browser and it worked. Have they shut down the servers?

I would imagine so. It's been years since it came out, the game is from way back in the PS3 era that everyone has moved on from, and the online wasn't popular to start with even around release. All those factors make it almost a certainty that it's dead.
    True. Amazingly GE Wii is still up and active.

Adding to this, how in the heck are the 007 Legends servers still up? I've never even been able to find a match. Once I ran into one other person trying to start a game, still leaving us two people short.

Edit: Evidently, the servers for Bloodstone are actually still up, they're just very, very glitchy/broken. There is a workaround involving secondary accounts; https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/39399-game-now-unplattable/
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn.

There's not much left to be said about the graphics and presentation (playing on PS4 Pro, 1080p) and they are truly incredible.

What is equally incredible is the whole world building and story, which is simply top notch as well.

And the game is incredibly fun to play, and quite challenging as well.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn.

There's not much left to be said about the graphics and presentation (playing on PS4 Pro, 1080p) and they are truly incredible.

What is equally incredible is the whole world building and story, which is simply top notch as well.

And the game is incredibly fun to play, and quite challenging as well.

I had several complaints with it when I ended up finishing it and grabbing the Platinum, but it can't be denied that it's one beautiful looking game. I played it on a vanilla PS4 and was blown away, can't imagine how it looks on a PS4 Pro. Enjoy your time with it!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Red Dead Redemption
    I completed the game earlier this evening.
    I had a feeling that Marston's quiet life wouldn't last. When he peers through the barn door, and sees Ross and his men, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach like so few games have elicited.

I'll clear up the remaining challenges and trophies, then i'll tackle Undead Nightmare.
    @MajorDSmythe Undead Nightmare is a blast. I really hope the sequel will have a zombie DLC.
    @MajorDSmythe Undead Nightmare is a blast. I really hope the sequel will have a zombie DLC.

I don't recall much from the DLC, but I remember it being a blast. Made me want a full-sized western game with zombies.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I.G.I. 2: Covert Strike:

Now, with this game, I've had such a blast! First played when I was newly a teenager, and years after that, it doesn't fail to surprise me. Of course, those who remember the Eidos-published First-Person Shooter Project I.G.I. (2000), then you must have played the sequel which, albeit using the same mechanics, has been turned from a tactical shooter to a stealthy combat FPS.

project_igi_2_custom_icon_by_thedoctor45-d68ie8z.png&h=1024&w=1024

I.G.I.'s most trustworthy agent, and ex-SAS operative, David Jones is sent to collect stolen modified EMP device smuggled from NATO by the Russian Mafia in Czechoslovakia and around Romanian borders, but overtime he discovers that things are not as they seem, having himself caught amidst the crossfire as he hovers around the globe, evading the dangers of betrayal in the process, and uncovers a plot by Chinese rogue military General to start World War III. And it's up to Jones to prevent the chaos.

14hcbv1j.jpg

The gameplay reflects on realism, albeit differently than the likes of Call of Duty gave birth to around at the time. You, as the player character, are allowed to carry one primary weapon, one secondary weapon, a knife (by default always present), a hand grenade and sometimes other optional instruments of kill and first-aid kit rarely making appearances. Equipped with a GPS map tablet (called map computer, a product of its time), you can observe and decide where to make the attack or sneak in if you want it stealthy. Putting on the complete undetected stealth mode requires a lot of experience. But, if you're going to burst in with full attack mode, you are going to have to be very quick. Especially when confronting the Chinese troops face to face. Their level of accuracy in marksmanship is very high.

Screen-2.jpg

Where do I fall in? In the middle. Half stealthy, half confrontational. But, if you're going to dedicate yourself and feel the character, the game actually gets pretty haunting. Especially when you want to be stealthy, the outstandingly composed spooky soundtrack tries to break you with the slow ambient music. Even when you start each level, its landscape and overview of the map somewhat intimidates you. Good God, that Romanian Border level...

xmmAcgF.jpg
    Here's an example of the landscape I'm referring to...

I enjoyed playing this video game once more, and despite it's not an AAA game made by some well-known company with extensively mind-blowing graphics, I.G.I. 2: Covert Strike is an outstanding game in its own right, and is definitely part of my Primary Collective spy games I resort to. Those who haven't played but are fans of stealthy shooters, should immediately get to this one. Experience the alternative of what "realism" in video games would've been like had they followed this pattern rather than COD.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    I've played GTA Online quite consistently since it first dropped. It's much better now than it was in the early days, and has a whole lot more to do. There's still the trolls, but I don't see them as often. There's also still some issues with server crashing and players getting booted randomly, but again it's a whole lot better than it used to be. Honestly it's among my favorite PS4 games out there these days.

150 hours of Mass Effect trilogy. Now I can have life again.

I was hooked from the get go. Not sure what the complaints about ME 3's ending were. But I thought the ending was beatiful. I played the extended cut and chose the good ending. I think.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    150 hours of Mass Effect trilogy. Now I can have life again.

I was hooked from the get go. Not sure what the complaints about ME 3's ending were. But I thought the ending was beatiful. I played the extended cut and chose the good ending. I think.

You answered your own question with "...chose the good ending. I think."

It was the fact that they hyped up your choices and decisions and how pivotal and integral they were to the story throughout the entire trilogy, just for the third one to end with a generic "pick one" option that wasn't terribly descriptive, and no matter which you chose, it seemed like the wrong choice still.
    I don't know. Shephard sacrificing himself for the greater good didn't feel out of character to me.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I don't know. Shephard sacrificing himself for the greater good didn't feel out of character to me.

I didn't say it was out of character, merely that all these in-depth, highly emotional choices you made across three games were summarized by a cheesy, generic finale that resulted in you "picking" an ending. A lazy ending to a great series, marred even more by an 'extra' ending created out of fan backlash and whining. Would've been better if they stuck to their guns and attempted to justify their decision instead of caving and making things worse.

Oh well, 'Andromeda' has made up for the sins of the past for me. Terrific installment, sans the bugs and glitches.
    I will play Astromeda next. Can't
    Wait.
    Do let me know what you think - a lot of people seemed to feel that the open world put a damper on the game, but it didn't for me in the slightest. It's only bound to get as repetitive as any other open-world game is, really (though perhaps it's not as in-depth as, say, the Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls series).
    Now with a good number of the bugs fixed (I honestly don't recall coming across more than a small handful of minor ones), Mass Effect: Andromeda is shaping up as an excellent game. I do have some slight issues with it, mostly down to the writing and some of the choices in terms of the story, but it's a pretty good game and potentially a solid kickoff to a new set of games.
    I worry Bioware are going to have a knee jerk reaction to this overblown criticism and go back on their trilogy plans as intended. They already stated that they weren't fully set on Andromeda being the first of 3, implying they could abandon what so many hated to do something new. As we see in other industries, including film, changing a vision to fit an audience through your own paranoia seldom ends well. I think Bioware could be in danger of making a new story and wiping away this one, forgetting that the big issues people seemed to have were more on a technical, not narrative level.
    I worry Bioware are going to have a knee jerk reaction to this overblown criticism and go back on their trilogy plans as intended. They already stated that they weren't fully set on Andromeda being the first of 3, implying they could abandon what so many hated to do something new. As we see in other industries, including film, changing a vision to fit an audience through your own paranoia seldom ends well. I think Bioware could be in danger of making a new story and wiping away this one, forgetting that the big issues people seemed to have were more on a technical, not narrative level.

As I play, and enjoy Andromeda, I would be lying to myself if I said that I didn't enjoy the more story-driven nature of the original trilogy. That's not to say that Andromeda is bad, because it's not at all, but I just happen to prefer the narrative approach of the first three games.

Now, that said, there's no reason that they couldn't craft a great story for the Andromeda characters to participate in. If anything, I would think that would be the preferable route. I'd love to see them jump ahead a bit, maybe a decade or two, given that Andromeda's protagonists are both fairly young, and find the Andromeda galaxy really thriving thanks to your efforts. Many different races living together in harmony in a real Golden Age of intergalactic cooperation. The humans, Turians, Salarians, and Krogan have all settled in and fit quite well, thus far, with their new neighbors. From there, I think you could threaten that with an enemy arriving from the Milky Way galaxy, having harnessed the power of the Reaper technology left behind after Shepherd either destroyed or controlled at the end of Mass Effect 3. This technology has allowed them to travel much more quickly and have crossed the area of space that Ryder and the gang did in 600 years in a much quicker period of time, and are now a threat to Andromeda. Would be interesting to see the political landscape of the newly reformed Andromeda galaxy in the wake of that as well as how our former Milky Way residents deal with the conflicting emotions of such an arrival. Do they retreat to help their fellow humans from the Milky Way or defend their new friends and settlements in Andromeda?
    It would be interesting, @dalton. I think if they go the fast forward route where the next game opens with the different races now as one, they could have a villain stepping in who waited for that union to happen so he/she could use their resources (possible Reaper tech) to wipe them all out in an act of genocide based on a purity of blood or something where they want only their line to live on and thrive. It would be a story about tolerance and accepting the differences in living beings, as opposed to the racism expressed by the villain/s.
    It would be interesting, @dalton. I think if they go the fast forward route where the next game opens with the different races now as one, they could have a villain stepping in who waited for that union to happen so he/she could use their resources (possible Reaper tech) to wipe them all out in an act of genocide based on a purity of blood or something where they want only their line to live on and thrive. It would be a story about tolerance and accepting the differences in living beings, as opposed to the racism expressed by the villain/s.

That would be interesting. :) There really are a lot of different ways that they could go with it.

Given how long you spend building up the world of Andromeda, it would be interesting to have to decide how (or whether) to defend it from an outside invader, especially one that you might be, at least on a species-level, somewhat familiar with.
    Just downloaded Force Unleashed 2 now available on Xbox One backward compatibility, really enjoyed the Unleashed games had them on 360 and on the Wii
    Is there any hope of a 3rd one?? I had such fun with those games- particularly all the saber/ skin swapping.
    Play as Anakin with his blue saber one day, or Luke with his green on the next! Many possibilities! I literally played as Starkiller the least of all, lol
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Not sure if another game is in the works, playing first level of Unleashed 2 forgot how mental it is, stands up well on my 4K TV.

Had a different profile on 360 so starting from scratch.