Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Alright, I finally did it, I bought The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition for the PS3. I admit, I'm not that far into it, I've just killed my first dragon and discovered how to shout, and completely missed my objective in a main quest. The main thing I'm happy about is that unlike when I tried out Oblivion, I'm not bored with Skyrim. I'm actually enjoying it like I did Morrowind on the Xbox so long ago.

All in all, Skyrim is yet another purchase I was leery of that turned out to be money well spent.

Did you install the DLC's straight away? The Dawnguard one is best kept to one side, at least until you have more holds unlocked, as Vampire attacks can be a real nuisance, even resulting in the deaths of npc (and yes, that means shopkeepers).

I installed the DLC, yes, but do I have to activate them from the main menu? Nothing seemed to actually happen.

No, once you have installed them, they will kick in at different points. Dawnguard will begin at level 10, Hearthfire will begin early on (you will receive a note from a courier), and Dragonborn will be available during your quests for the Greybeards.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ah, thanks @MajorDSmythe.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, that's actually a big reason why I haven't gotten back around to playing my 'Skyrim Remastered' on the PS4 after only sinking an hour or two in months back. I knew that eventually, the vampire issues/attacks would begin and I'd have to rush through that DLC ASAP so as not to lose any key NPC's/questlines.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Try using a USB stick to copy your save, get the Dawnguard quests out of the way earning the trophies, then when you have finished, transfer your save from the USB back to the console and continue as you were. You won't have the Vampire perks, but you will have earned the trophies for the DLC.
    Try using a USB stick to copy your save, get the Dawnguard quests out of the way earning the trophies, then when you have finished, transfer your save from the USB back to the console and continue as you were. You won't have the Vampire perks, but you will have earned the trophies for the DLC.

Therein lies the issue for me - I love going for as many trophies as I can, so not getting to keep the Vampire perks will make it tough for me to get the trophies for unlocking all Vampire/Werewolf perks. I'm sure it'll be a grind either way, unless I spend my first 20-30 skill points on both (not sure how many perks there are total).
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There any way aside from just erasing the DLC from the system info that I can turn off Dawnguard before I get there?
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    Alright, I finally did it, I bought The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition for the PS3. I admit, I'm not that far into it, I've just killed my first dragon and discovered how to shout, and completely missed my objective in a main quest. The main thing I'm happy about is that unlike when I tried out Oblivion, I'm not bored with Skyrim. I'm actually enjoying it like I did Morrowind on the Xbox so long ago.

All in all, Skyrim is yet another purchase I was leery of that turned out to be money well spent.
    Excellent. Skyrim was one of my favorite games of that generation, hope you continue to play it and enjoy it.

As for the DLC, I don't think you can turn them off once they're installed. You're just gonna have to do the Dawnguard questline if the vampire attacks get too annoying (which, believe me, they will).

• edited March 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Steep one of my favouraite PS2 games back in the day was SSX Tricky I tend to give snow boarding games a go, Steep looks like it has potential though need to play it a bit more. The game is free to play for a limited time on PC, Xbox One and PS4
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Therein lies the issue for me - I love going for as many trophies as I can, so not getting to keep the Vampire perks will make it tough for me to get the trophies for unlocking all Vampire/Werewolf perks. I'm sure it'll be a grind either way, unless I spend my first 20-30 skill points on both (not sure how many perks there are total).

Shouldn't be too much of an issue, as obtaining all of the Werewolf perks leads to one trophy, and obtaining all of the Vampire perks leads to a separate trophy. There's nothing in the games mechanics from stopping you from backing up your save to a USB. Unless you want to replay the game just for the other trophy perks that you didn't get the first time around.

There are 8 Werewolf perks:

Animal Vigor
    Bestial Strength
    Gorging
    Savage Feeding
    Totem of Ice Brothers
    Totem of Terror
    Totem of the Moon
    Totem of the Predator

Though there 4 levels of Bestial Strengh, so it's more like 11 perks.

Vampire perks (again, 11 of them):
    Blood Healing
    Corpse Curse
    Detect All Creatures
    Mist Form
    Night Cloak
    Poison Talons
    Power of the Grave
    Summon Gargoyle
    Supernatural Reflexes
    Unearthly Will
    Vampiric Grip
    There any way aside from just erasing the DLC from the system info that I can turn off Dawnguard before I get there?

Unfortunately not. If you have already installed Dawnguard, then when you next play it, the first thing I recommend you doing is travelling to at least one other hold* (to offload any equipment you want to sell), then go and get the Dawnguard quests out of the way.

*Just in case your usual shopkeeper is killed.
    Ace Combat 4: Distant Thunder
    I've reached mission 17 (of 18*). The first part of the mission, take out enough targets in the time given to reach the points target, I can complete that fine. The second part, intercept the squadron, and destroy them... that is giving me some problems.

*With one mission left, I have bought Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War, ready to play next.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Just played a bit of Agent Under Fire. I hadn't touched it in a while, and I was without a functioning PS2 controller for a few months. I picked up a controller for $3 at a thrift store, and it was $3 well spent to be able to enjoy a classic like this. It really is exemplary of a bygone era of fun and quality in gaming.
    'Mass Effect: Andromeda'

Finally got to fire this up today after all the updating, and damn, I'm loving it. I'm hardly through the tutorial stuff, and I can already tell I'm going to be sinking some solid hours into this. You would think it's pure garbage, given the mass outrage over the character animations, but that's if you assume the three prior installments had no bugs, which is simply not the case. No game is perfect, and there's a lot to love in this past any technical hiccups.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Mass Effect: Andromeda'

Finally got to fire this up today after all the updating, and damn, I'm loving it. I'm hardly through the tutorial stuff, and I can already tell I'm going to be sinking some solid hours into this. You would think it's pure garbage, given the mass outrage over the character animations, but that's if you assume the three prior installments had no bugs, which is simply not the case. No game is perfect, and there's a lot to love in this past any technical hiccups.

Glad you're enjoying it, @Creasy47. I've been following the backlash a bit, and it's more of the usual: the women are too model-esque, the guys are too pretty, etc. I agree that the customization options are pretty poor for a series that makes you create a character to use over a whole series of games, but I think some criticism has been outlandish.

It's strange to me that people target this game for creating body issues in its female gamers when other games are far, far worse-such as those where women's body parts are out of proportion three times over. I've watched some criticism videos on this aspect of the game, and got offended at one time when the reviewer said that the character she played looked far more ready to go to the library than the battlefield, implying that more slim and diminutive women couldn't join the cause to save the galaxy. This woman then went on to freak out because the height and weight of one of the female characters was actually the height and weight of a 5 foot 9 woman when you did the math, and not a 5 foot 6 one. Seriously.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as soon as those few examples of the bad animations poured out, it seemed everyone was swearing off the game as the biggest trainwreck of the year, which is an incredible overexaggeration. In the face of that, it seems nobody would want to focus on the good of the game, which there is an abundance of: the graphics, auto-cover, the gunplay, combat, and movements feels fresh, and I LOVE, absolutely love, that it's not one of many titles of late to hand-hold you through the entire game. Exploration will be heavily rewarded, which is refreshing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, it just seems a weird time to be upset about that stuff. As you rightly pointed out, the other ME games were wonky in animations and far stiffer in controls than this one seems to be. There's whole memes from those games capturing the wonky eyes of the asari women, the weird mouth spasms of FemSheps, the random stutter waking of NPCs during cutscenes and all that.

I guess because we have all this powerful new hardware people were expecting to see the tail end of those hiccups in animation, which I get, but for there to be such an overreaction is unfair, I think. I've seen a lot of fair assessments too, so there is some good to outbalance the outrage.

I think the ultimate conclusion people have come to is it's just okay, and doesn't live up to what came before. I'm not a sci-fi guy, but I have to say ME just doesn't click with me. I watched play throughs of one and thought it was very limp and empty, and ME2 was better with good characters, but still nothing that shouted greatness to me. Players like the choice of those games, though, and I understand why there was the hate for how ME3 went down. That's a time of fair criticism, especially when the developers promised massively different endings to fit your unique choices and then delivered nothing of the sort. That's a case of false advertising, but this animations thing is a bit nit-picky. But everyone is a critic now, and that's another sign of it I guess.
    There were also those glitches straight out of 'The Exorcist' where Shepard's head would continuously spin around in circles. It's also probably due to our culture these days, and how easy it is to be negative over stuff. Like you said, "everyone is a critic now."

At the end of the day, though, I'm loving it - could've gotten 0/10 ratings across the board, and I'd still be enjoying myself. I've sunk several hours into this and I'm still not passed the whole tutorial section, I can tell.

I think the hiccup they had regarding the transition from the incredible ME2 to ME3 was that ME2's finale could go so many different ways, all dependent on your choices throughout and who you managed to save in the end. Thus, there was no way to craft an independent play experience for each and every gamer when the third one was released, as surely they all had different surviving squads at the end of the second game. Still doesn't change the fact that the three choices you're given at the end were terrible, especially since you played through three separate games to arrive at this disappointing moment.
    @Creasy47, it's true that ME2's ending was tough to develop a sequel from. I think that's part of why I give Bioware the benefit of the doubt on some of it, as that's a gargantuan task to overcome. All the dialogue that'd have to be written and recorded for every eventuality and every character returning from 2 in 3, even if one player killed off most of them and would never even hear all that work.

You may know this, but apparently there was a way to end ME2 that basically made it impossible to play with that save in ME3. I guess you really have to try to fail at it, but it's possible to be forced to start 3 with a fresh Shepard.
    Spy Fiction
    I get the impression that Swery is a big Mission Impossible fan. I have reached the point where you have to access the terminal room, from a hatch in the ceiling. The room has censors to detect any rise in temperature and the are a series of laser grids between the ceiling and floor (with the latter being pressure sensitive).
    Having played Deadly Premonition (another Swery game), I am not all that surprised that Spy Fiction has an odd cheesy-ness to it. I have also detected a reference to The Man From UNCLE. Alas, no Bond reference as of yet.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 3,000
    A Blood Stone poster I made (I couldn't think of any other place to post it);
    Bloodstone%20poster%20edit4_zpsxgyqoqzl.jpg

It's obviously based on the box-art, and in fact started as a PDF scan of it. I applied some effects and made some small adjustments.
    Played a bit of Siphon Filter recently for the first time ever. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get used to these controls. That was one of the main reasons I didn't enjoy TND PS1 very much. I think the fact that Sony still uses a very similar controller today hurts their older games with old-fashioned control schemes. You have muscle memory built up for modern games, and then you try to go back and play old games with strange button layouts and it doesn't go too well. The N64 doesn't seem as ill affected by this due to its unique controller.
    Damn good that Syphon Filter.
    I started a game of Fallout 3 for the first time since around 2014.
    I'm trying a new strategy: I'm pretty much killing everyone I see! It's amazing how fast I've leveled up and gotten the best weapons!

And I'm female. :))

Seriously I've forgotten how great this game is! Much better than 4.
    Damn good that Syphon Filter.

I can see how people could get into it. I have to try and give it a chance.
    Getting back into Black list and playing the side missions I beat the Charlie missions (easiest in my opnion) and just beat the first Grimsdotter one so now on to the next one
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Getting back into Black list and playing the side missions I beat the Charlie missions (easiest in my opnion) and just beat the first Grimsdotter one so now on to the next one

Some (a lot?) fans didn't, but I enjoyed Blacklist.

Spy Fiction
    I finally got passed the Mission: Impossible-esque terminal room, all it took was a little patience, and the right timing.
  • TheSharkFromJawsTheSharkFromJaws Amity Island Waters
    I started a game of Fallout 3 for the first time since around 2014.
    I'm trying a new strategy: I'm pretty much killing everyone I see! It's amazing how fast I've leveled up and gotten the best weapons!

And I'm female. :))

Seriously I've forgotten how great this game is! Much better than 4.
    Not gonna lie, I might possibly prefer 4.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Outlast (2013):

It's been a long time since I tried out a survival horror, but this Outlast keeps you rolling around with your brain attempting to rocket its way out of your head with all those jumpscares and the adrenaline-bumping stressful suspense the game puts you through. It is, in a way, an equivalent of Shutter Island and The Cabin In The Woods (albeit much more coherent than that), giving you a small reminder of Silent Hill as well as some Slender Man. The gameplay is alright, the control movements being a mixture of old and new, the story however, for a video game, is compelling. There are lots of disturbing elements in it and even things that stay with you for sometime, irritating your mind due to its utmost unpleasantness. However, I liked it. Haven't tried the DLC sequel yet, entitled Whistleblower, I'll be getting down to it once I get a grip on my mind.

Also, looking forward to the real sequel that's supposed to come out this year.
    Outlast (2013):

It's been a long time since I tried out a survival horror, but this Outlast keeps you rolling around with your brain attempting to rocket its way out of your head with all those jumpscares and the adrenaline-bumping stressful suspense the game puts you through. It is, in a way, an equivalent of Shutter Island and The Cabin In The Woods (albeit much more coherent than that), giving you a small reminder of Silent Hill as well as some Slender Man. The gameplay is alright, the control movements being a mixture of old and new, the story however, for a video game, is compelling. There are lots of disturbing elements in it and even things that stay with you for sometime, irritating your mind due to its utmost unpleasantness. However, I liked it. Haven't tried the DLC sequel yet, entitled Whistleblower, I'll be getting down to it once I get a grip on my mind.

It never ends well for journalist characters in video games. Just like every time anyone has a wedding, bad shit is going to go down and horrible things will happen to you.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Outlast (2013):

It never ends well for journalist characters in video games. Just like every time anyone has a wedding, bad shit is going to go down and horrible things will happen to you.
    Yep! And a journalist who especially stepped into some abandoned lunatic asylum in the middle of the night, unarmed. No combat experience. Nothing. I'm surprised he ever managed to make it that far. Out of all the creepy entities in the video game, though, I found that so-called priest the most annoying of all the ones. Even worse than that limb cutting crazed doctor.

Updating Post:
    In order to avoid double posts, I'm going to submit my newer experience with the one I promised myself to play. Well...

Outlast: Whistleblower (2014):

A downloadable content for Outlast, the game that made its debut in 2013 on Windows PC, this portion of the content serves as a side-occurrence to the events of the original, taking place before, during and after the story of the main experience. This time, assuming the role of the I.T. guy who himself put the journalist from the original game in this mess in the first pace, being the whistleblower, he's soon captured by those whose secrets he was supposed to expose and is given the course to run through hell, much like the first game, but a bit differently than the one that came before. So, while the events of the original game are already happening by the time you're halfway through the experience, you encounter different kinds of villains and sprint through different places that looks more like an asylum escape rather than sewers, abandoned prisons, chapels, occult-related hallways and whatnot. As opposed to the more supernatural horror feel of the original, this one is more like a serial killer evasion type. It's quite the same gameplay, but with one thing improved... This protagonist doesn't have to slam the door and alert everyone around as much as the other one did. The jumpscares are on the same level, but its spooky elements are less as it's more action-oriented, this one. I couldn't say I'm pleased with the uber-nudity image displayed over this content as it felt overdone. What I felt was lacking however was the player's ability to at least try and punch his assailants. At least show minimum signs of fighting back. Good game. But, I prefer the original.
    Outlast (2013):

When that game first came out, and before classes had started for the semester, I remember sitting in my dorm room, packed with a good ten or so other people I knew, as they watched me play it, enduring screams and jumps alongside them as I went along. Was good fun - wish I had the skills to complete it on that Insanity mode or whatever it is, but I've never been good at those "Beat a game with only one life" modes.