No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If Nolan gets the Bond gig, then Skyfall will be a lighthearted drama flick in comparison to what Nolan will offer and I am not keen on that in the slightest. Au Contraire.

On the other hand, Nolan may want to do something less ponderous and emotionally complex than much of his previous works. I think he's capable of a kick ass adventure that has emotional depth but does not wallow in it.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    If Nolan directs, we can already count on Marion C. as the Bond girl. I love his work, and I think he's too much of a fan to make a Bond film that we wouldn't like. As a litmus test, one should ask for his opinion on SF/SP.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I like Marion, but I'd prefer if we took a break from the French ladies for a while.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »
    If Nolan gets the Bond gig, then Skyfall will be a lighthearted drama flick in comparison to what Nolan will offer and I am not keen on that in the slightest. Au Contraire.

On the other hand, Nolan may want to do something less ponderous and emotionally complex than much of his previous works. I think he's capable of a kick ass adventure that has emotional depth but does not wallow in it.

Very true. He may even want to kick back a little after doing a couple of epic length dramas. He may be exactly what we are looking for. That being said, I'm still not entirely sure he is right for Bond, especially at the moment.
  • RC7RC7
    giphy.gif
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I just want to know why Nolan = No Craig.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 2,010
    I think that if Nolan takes over the Bond franchise, he'd want to make it his own separate timeline from the other films, that's just my idea of why Craig probably wouldn't be involved in a Nolan Bond film, maybe he would, but I personally don't see it happening.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I doubt Nolan is going to get Bond this time around, but in Nolan I trust. One of the absolute best film makers out there.

He could do Bond in his sleep & still deliver a master product.

The thing about someone like Nolan is he doesn't need to imitate himself. That's for people like Mendes. He would come in and deliver something quite creative and ground breaking, while still respecting the franchise history and boundaries.

However, such a possibility is quite remote, sadly.
    Nolan could fit the timeline where Skyfall should have been, a standalone adventure with no, or miniscule ties, to previous films. Not that one couldnt watch SF as a standalone, but SP retconned it as a piece to a bigger picture.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Like @007ClassicBondFan said, it'd probably be down to the fact that he'd want to put his own spin on things, and not have to pick up where Mendes left off with SP.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Like @007ClassicBondFan said, it'd probably be down to the fact that he'd want to put his own spin on things, and not have to pick up where Mendes left off with SP.
    Precisely and absolutely, and I'm perfectly fine with that.
    bondjames wrote: »

Precisely and absolutely, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

You and I both, couldn't blame him in the slightest.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I was going to say I hope it's not Nolan because that means no Craig.

Why? Do Nolan and Craig hate each other or something?

Not that I know of, but looking at Nolan's track record he would want a fresh slate & make it his own. Which is fine, but that means Bond will most likely be recasted & im not ready to say by to Daniel yet. If he makes one more movie, I'll be able to accept him retiring the role.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    But he can still do that with Craig. I don't see why he couldn't. What's the difference between Nolan and any other new director that may come along?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 40,372
    But he can still do that with Craig. I don't see why he couldn't. What's the difference between Nolan and any other new director that may come along?

It's because he'd want a clean slate, whereas 'Bond 25' will likely continue where SP left off to a degree, especially if Craig was to return. If Nolan was hired, I'm sure he'd want a fresh Bond tackling a standalone story of some sort; he wouldn't want to work with characters and plot elements that were brought upon by a separate director.

Of course, I suppose it's possible Nolan could helm the final Craig film if they were going for a straight-out, standalone installment that didn't bring back Swann, Blofeld, etc.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't think it's necessarily so that B25 will follow on from SP. I think some of this is still up in the air, and will be decided via the distributor decision (even if it's for one film). I still contend that if Craig is back, it's a continuation (and I'm willing to bet it's Mendes). Otherwise, I think we're in for a clean slate across the board.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,382

It's because he'd want a clean slate, whereas 'Bond 25' will likely continue where SP left off to a degree. If Nolan was hired, I'm sure he'd want a fresh Bond tackling a standalone story of some sort; he wouldn't want to work with characters and plot elements that were brought upon by a separate director.

But it doesn't have to, that's my point. SP in a sense wrapped up that storyline. The regular MI6 crew and Craig can come back without having anything to do with the Spectre element. It seems like everyone thinks that Craig will only come back to continue that plotline.

It's because he'd want a clean slate, whereas 'Bond 25' will likely continue where SP left off to a degree. If Nolan was hired, I'm sure he'd want a fresh Bond tackling a standalone story of some sort; he wouldn't want to work with characters and plot elements that were brought upon by a separate director.

But it doesn't have to, that's my point. SP in a sense wrapped up that storyline. The regular MI6 crew and Craig can come back without having anything to do with the Spectre element. It seems like everyone thinks that Craig will only come back to continue that plotline.

The way it was left off, it seems pretty likely that's what is going to happen. Personally, I want it all dropped with only Blofeld coming back at most. Really, really don't want to see Swann coming back.

Time will tell. I'm hoping for something more standalone, but I have a feeling (especially if Craig's coming back for one more) that's the direction they will take.
    Blofeld was left alive for a reason, he will likely return in the next one, he dosent however have to be the main villian.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Blofeld was left alive for a reason, he will likely return in the next one, he dosent however have to be the main villian.

With a villain like Blofeld, there was no way he was going to perish in SP after such a long absence in the series. I would've praised SP, however, for having the balls to have Bond execute him on the bridge at the end. Wouldn't have seen it coming whatsoever.
    I'm curious to think that if Nolan does direct that we see his usual suspects attached.

Marion Cottilard
    Michael Caine
    Hans Zimmer score etc.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    RC7 wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    This seems very strange. Is IMDb pro edited by users? Who controls it?

With a villain like Blofeld, there was no way he was going to perish in SP after such a long absence in the series. I would've praised SP, however, for having the balls to have Bond execute him on the bridge at the end. Wouldn't have seen it coming whatsoever.
    Now that would have really been something. The perfect sendoff to the Craig era if he had done that and then left with Madeline (which would have meant dropping the rubbish whining she engaged in earlier).
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Michael Caine would make a great M, come to think of it.

Now that would have really been something. The perfect sendoff to the Craig era if he had done that and then left with Madeline (which would have meant dropping the rubbish whining she engaged in earlier).

The last we should've seen of Madeleine was when she left Bond in London; finale continues as it did, sans Swann, and ends with Bond executing Blofeld out of the blue, just to turn around and catch Swann running back his way, saying she changed her mind. He throws up the middle finger and walks off, cue credits.

The movie wouldn't jump up in my rankings with that, but holy hell, would I appreciate it a lot more than I do.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Michael Caine would make a great M, come to think of it.
    Agreed, but since his turn in Kingsman, I don't think he would ever get the role even in a Nolan effort.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That vacates the role of Q for him.
    Caine is Hans Oberhauser. He never died in the avalanche. He's the actual actual head of Spectre.

The last we should've seen of Madeleine was when she left Bond in London; finale continues as it did, sans Swann, and ends with Bond executing Blofeld out of the blue, just to turn around and catch Swann running back his way, saying she changed her mind. He throws up the middle finger and walks off, cue credits.

The movie wouldn't jump up in my rankings with that, but holy hell, would I appreciate it a lot more than I do.
    I like the idea, but would prefer if she walked off and never came back. She's hardly memorable, and the film wouldn't have suffered for it.

Or even better, she doesn't even show up in the London finale and they part ways after Blofeld HQ. Then Bond shows up in the last scene at her house or something (like the ending to the Bourne Identity).
    I don't mind her but a stronger well known actress would have had more of an impact.