No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited May 2017 Posts: 1,661
    Chris Nolan (and his brother Jonathan) write all their films. Would EON allow them to write a future Bond screenplay? Based on past evidence the answer would appear to be no but going with a Chris Nolan Bond film would be a clean slate approach. No Purvis and Wade.

I suppose it makes sense to hire the most high profile British director. Nolan is a huge Bond fan, his films make big bucks, perhaps it's a no-brainer to hire the guy!

UPDATE: According to IMDb's staff: "We believe the information we have displayed to be correct." (when asked about the listing under SYNCOPY and about the "in development" status on their IMDbPro page)

There isn't any other way to interpret that. Bond 25 is now under SYNCOPY and although it isn't official (no statements from EON/MGM), we're going to half to believe it for now. The people working on IMDbPro wouldn't mess around like this, so they must truly believe - or know - that SYNCOPY will help produce B25.

Just remember that even if it is a fact, EON could end the contract in the near future (if there are major issues etc), and choose another production company instead. So once again: nothing is official but do have evidence to back up the rumours.

IMDb get things wrong all the time, believe me, I've had first hand experience of their mistakes more than once - and they also often fail to remove misinformation swiftly.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    One positive of a Nolan directed Bond film is that we know everything would be done for real, and it would definitely be shot on film, possibly in IMAX. Whether you like Nolan or not, you have to appreciate he is a stickler for authenticity and has a profound respect for the history of cinema.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would be thrilled if Nolan gets it, but remember that Syncopy does not equate Nolan as director.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thanks for the update, @BondAficionado, but I'm still treating this with a healthy dose of skepticism.
    UPDATE: According to IMDb's staff: "We believe the information we have displayed to be correct." (when asked about the listing under SYNCOPY and about the "in development" status on their IMDbPro page)

There isn't any other way to interpret that. Bond 25 is now under SYNCOPY and although it isn't official (no statements from EON/MGM), we're going to half to believe it for now. The people working on IMDbPro wouldn't mess around like this, so they must truly believe - or know - that SYNCOPY will help produce B25.

Just remember that even if it is a fact, EON could end the contract in the near future (if there are major issues etc), and choose another production company instead. So once again: nothing is official but do have evidence to back up the rumours.

Delightful!
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Nolan will never direct a Bond film.
    Wrong. Not only will he direct a Bond film, he will direct one of the next two Bond movies.
    complete BS. IMDb has lost all respect from me.

I think they should go with the Nolan brothers. Let them write the screenplay (subject to EON making necessary changes, of course).

I know some people are against Chris Nolan, they don't feel his style of film making is a natural fit, but he is a genuine James Bond fan so he'll respect the source material, not take too many liberties. A Nolan Bond film is bound to do big box office even if Craig doesn't return.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    jake24 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, @BondAficionado, but I'm still treating this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Exactly. It's not a concrete fact until at least one of the production companies give an official statement. Hopefully Nolan will get questioned about this when he's promoting Dunkirk though. It would speed up this uncertainty quite a bit.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,619
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I know some people are against Chris Nolan, they don't feel his style of film making is a natural fit,
    I understand that a lot of people here do not like Nolan, and I can respect that, but how can anyone believe his style of filmmaking would not be a natural fit for Bond? Are they talking about the fact that he never uses second units?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,087
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I know some people are against Chris Nolan, they don't feel his style of film making is a natural fit,
    I understand that a lot of people here do not like Nolan, and I can respect that, but how can anyone believe his style of filmmaking would not be a natural fit for Bond? Are they talking about the fact that he never uses second units?

There would be very little CGI in a Chris Nolan Bond film, which is something we have all wanted - less CGI. Plus we would know he would shoot on real film, using high quality stock. There are objective positives to hiring Nolan, outside of any arguments that he is good for the franchise or not.
    Wrong. Not only will he direct a Bond film, he will direct one of the next two Bond movies.
    complete BS. IMDb has lost all respect from me.

Here, here.
    THis is interesting

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/christopher-nolan-s-production-company-linked-to-bond-25-170504

As Syncopy has been listed there for quite some time actually ...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you. He's the clear choice for when Craig leaves, if they want to continue and raise the Bond film profile. Otherwise they will go back to the journeyman.

Also, Nolan and Craig is a no go because he will want a new vision.

Now, hypothetically speaking, those who don't think he can do it or that he would inject it with too much drama have been drinking the Mendes coolaid for too long. Nolan knows what to do. There's no way Mendes could have given us something as inventive and sublime as the Bat trilogy, Inception, Interstellar (it was bloated but he executed the complex vision & narrative to perfection), or The Prestige for example. It was clear to me that he was experimenting with some of those, spreading his wings & taking risks and I respect him for it. His known love and admiration for Bond will allow him to come back to earth and stay on point.

Hypothetically again, I don't want Hardy as Bond, but I can't criticize his acting skills or his ability to become a character completely and totally. He is a better & more versatile actor than Craig (imho) and so can definitely do it, but I don't want him to. Fassbender would be my choice.

I don't care if they go with an unknown or a famous actor next time out. Unlike others, I think it will be someone more well known. I think it will be a Roger/Pierce direction rather than a Laz/Dalts/Craig one.
    ---

I agree with @Benny that this is all smoke and mirrors. My view (again) is it's Craig and Mendes for a finale or it's a completely new team and a shakeup coming.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm with you. He's the clear choice for when Craig leaves, if they want to continue and raise the Bond film profile. Otherwise they will go back to the journeyman.

Also, Nolan and Craig is a no go because he will want a new vision.

Now, hypothetically speaking, those who don't think he can do it or that he would inject it with too much drama have been drinking the Mendes coolaid for too long. Nolan knows what to do. There's no way Mendes could have given us something as inventive and sublime as the Bat trilogy, Inception, Interstellar (it was bloated but he executed the vision to perfection), or The Prestige for example. It was clear to me that he was experimenting with some of those, spreading his wings & taking risks and I respect him for it. His known love and respect for Bond will allow him to come back to earth and stay on point.

Hypothetically again, I don't want Hardy as Bond, but I can't criticize his acting skills or his ability to become a character completely and totally. He is a better actor than Craig (imho) and so can definitely do it but I don't want him. Fassbender would be my choice.

I don't care if they go with an unknown or a famous actor next time out. Unlike others, I think it will be someone more well known. I think it will be a Roger/Pierce direction rather than a Laz/Dalts/Craig one, imho.
    ---

I agree with @Benny that this is all smoke and mirrors. My view (again) is it's Craig and Mendes for a finale or it's a completely new team and a shakeup coming.

Nolan won't direct a Bond film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just feel the arguments for Nolan could go the same way it did for Mendes. Loved by so many for SF, left for dead after SP like he never so much as made the former. People are fickle, as are their loyalties. Nolan experiences the same backlash, as people say he ruined his Batman films with Rises and cocked up the conclusion.

It's great to have people that are passionate about Bond for directors, but that doesn't always equate to positives. We're all walking encyclopedias, but does that give us the keys to the castle? Of course not, as most or all of us would screw up majorly on such a project. Nolan has a track record, of course, but he's white knighted a bit too much. Mendes is now hated, and with Nolan I feel that he would simply get the same backlash for his possible decisions, as he always puts a similar spin on things and goes for super grounded with source material. He could pull off the more fantastical elements I'm sure, but I'd just wonder what his approach would be. If he only does one film, they're wasting him and if he does more or a trilogy, we could be waiting around forever, and he'll stand to get burned out with no new projects to fill the time with.

Auteurs really don't work well within a massive franchise like this, as the studio system is always nipping at their heels. That element is why you won't see Mendes touch Bond with a two-hundred foot pole again. This kind of stuff makes creative people nuts, speaking from experience. There's nothing that kills vision and dreams like sitting in a room full of bean counters who all tell you why your ideas aren't sensible. In the same token, we've seen what happens when creatives are given money to handle. Like Mendes, they could end up blowing millions on a very unnecessary explosion in a desert and putting a production needlessly in a tough budgetary spot.
    Yea Babs would not drop Craig her cash cow for Nolan.

Remember this is someone who turned down Peter Jackson to be a director and some believe she chose Johnathan Pierce (who is a tremendous actor) over Anthony Hopkins
    fjdinardo wrote: »

Remember this is someone who turned down Peter Jackson to be a director and some believe she chose Johnathan Pierce (who is a tremendous actor) over Anthony Hopkins

Doesn't he commentate football matches?
    Which is why Nolan might direct Bond 26, instead of directing Bond 25.

What? Lol
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,325

What? Lol

Jonathan Pearce - he's a football commentator, not an actor; whilst Jonathan Pierce is a gospel singer.

This guy however is an actor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Pryce
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I have no problem with Nolan directing but I don't want to hear a typical Hans Zimmer score in a Bond movie and I doubt we would get something totally new out of him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

What makes you so sure? You also were 100% sure the final theme song for SP would be done by Radiohead, and unless the lead singer of Radiohead is Sam Smith and nobody told me, you were wrong on that front.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Not to mention Guy Pearce...which at least brings us back to Nolan.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What makes you so sure? You also were 100% sure the final theme song for SP would be done by Radiohead, and unless the lead singer of Radiohead is Sam Smith and nobody told me, you were wrong on that front.

Here, here.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What makes you so sure?

From a comment I wrote previously:
    We all know how much he wants to direct a Bond film. The producers want him. The only issue is that he wants to direct the first Bond film of a new era. EON won't want to wait for another 10-15 years for him, which means he will direct the first movie of the next era. Now the question is: when does the next era start?

Scenario 1: Craig returns for one more Bond film, EON hires McGuigan or another journeyman to direct, Nolan directs a non-Bond film after Dunkirk. A few years later: Bond 26. Nolan. New actor.

Scenario 2: Craig decides to quit. Nolan directs Bond 25.

What? Lol

Jonathan Pearce - he's a football commentator, not an actor; whilst Jonathan Pierce is a gospel singer.

lol close enough
    Maybe Nolan wants to work with Craig?? Maybe Nolan wants to do something out of his normal realm of film making?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Maybe Nolan wants to work with Craig?? Maybe Nolan wants to do something out of his normal realm of film making?

I wouldn't mind this. If Nolan is announced as director, but Craig stays I'd be more than content.

What? Lol

lol close enough

But no cigar.