No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Well that was fun for a day. Good luck trying to top that going forward.

Back to the Indie nobody conversation now, I guess. Oh, and Arnold.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    antovolk wrote: »
    IMDB removed the B25 credit from Syncopy's page. So everyone calm down...

IMDb "Pro" better get a slap on the wrist now. This will cause a sh*tstorm on twitter no doubt.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hence thou shalt believe @RC7. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    I think it's disingenuous to call Mendes a Nolan tribute act. Granted, there are narrative similarities and Mendes was candid about Nolan's influence, but he brought something of himself to the pictures he made and I don't think they are in any way Nolan-lite. They are definitively Mendes, particularly SF.

The issue with Nolan is that he is a Spielberg, something Mendes never was. The picture becomes a Chris Nolan film, as well as a James Bond film. The expectation would be phenomenal. So much so, imo, that it's almost impossible to realise. The hype should be about the villain, the women, the action, the music... I know that sounds trite but it's true. Make it about the director (particularly the Spielberg of his generation) and you're not under the magnifying glass, you're under the microscope.
    He'd exceed expectations. Especially if it was for B25. The only way is up.
  • RC7RC7
    Hence thou shalt believe @RC7. ;)

You're in safe hands, my friend.
    Well, it's gone now.

• RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »

He's a class act, but he won't be making B25.
    RC7 wrote: »

Sad but probably true. The best we can hope for is a few more imitation games. Either that or they tap into their DNA, dig deep and give us something special.
  • RC7RC7

Sad but probably true. The best we can hope for is a few more imitation games. Either that or they tap into their DNA, dig deep and give us something special.

I always believe each new film will be the best. I guess we all do. The general consensus here, I would say, pitches SP as a disappointment and they always seem to bounce back in those situations.

I always believe each new film will be the best. I guess we all do. The general consensus here, I would say, pitches SP as a disappointment and they always seem to bounce back in those situations.
    Precisely. That's why, despite my concerns, I have faith B25 will be a killer film. I'd strongly prefer if it is also a fresh start (to help a new actor establish himself) but if it is to be a Craig swansong, so be it. This will only increase the pressure on B26 though, which inevitably will be the start of something new.
    I also think B25 should be a new Bond in a stand-alone mission-based film.

Time to stop any bloody story arcs,which it would be if Craig came back.
    CraigBond's story arc has been completed,it was a totally farewell ending...put Blofeld on ice and move on !!!!
  • RC7RC7
    barryt007 wrote: »

CraigBond's story arc has been completed,it was a totally farewell ending...put Blofeld on ice and move on !!!!

I think a satisfying Craig film is achievable. I've about three versions in my head. I can understand your point of view, though.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

True. And despite how many Craig devotees insist there is still more story to tell, I think the audience was satisfied, or perhaps relieved that it ended the way it did. Better than some of the other tenures, they avoided the complete strikeout at the end. I repeat again, it could have ended much worse!

Now is the time to think to the future.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

True. And despite how many Craig devotees insist there is still more story to tell, I think the audience was satisfied, or perhaps relieved that it ended the way it did. Better than some of the other tenures, they avoided the complete strikeout at the end. I repeat again, it could have ended much worse!

Fully agreed, but will Babs take the hint?

Or will she stick with her proven thoroughbred? Will the distribution deal influence the decision? All likely imho.
  • RC7RC7
    From my perspective there's no specific story of which there's 'more to tell', but I do think it's completely possible to do a Craig film that does the unexpected, while not feeling disconnected.
    From my perspective there's no specific story of which there's 'more to tell', but I do think it's completely possible to do a Craig film that does the unexpected, while not feeling disconnected.
    True. No doubt it can be done. Strategically, I guess the question is should it be done? Or should they make a clean break? I'm sure business decisions will come into play here, given it appears to be a transition period. Perhaps it's better not to take a big risk at this point, with MGM's future ambitions likely in mind as well.

Fully agreed, but will Babs take the hint?

Or will she stick with her proven thoroughbred? Will the distribution deal influence the decision? All likely imho.

It's so difficult to know for sure. Are EON cooly and calmly executing some 4D chess game, placing these red herrings and false flags in order to fool all of us? Or are assisstants currently running through corriders, sending faxs and answering calls while Barbara frantically tries to get something together?

Bare in mind that they were in talks with that Chinese company to distribute, and that was quite a while ago. You have to believe that the plan, back then, was to make a Craig finale film for 2018. However, is that still the goal? And is it still attainable?

We're really reaching an interesting time now, because in the next few months something has got to give - it's that simple. An announcement could come tomorrow for all we know.
    CraigBond's story has finished with a DB5 drive off into London and Big Ben in the background,with the girl next to him..that to me screams 'finished'.!!

He has made 4 films that can only add to the Bond legacy,its time to start again with a new production company,director,composer,007....
  • RC7RC7
    CraigBond's story has finished with a DB5 drive off into London and Big Ben in the background,with the girl next to him..that to me screams 'finished'.!!

I hope he does another if only because that would be the shittest send off ever. Worst bit of SP for me. No idea what Mendes was thinking with that scene. It's appallingly directed and the only moment in the entire series where I've groaned when the Bond theme is played.

I hope he does another if only because that would be the shittest send off ever. Worst bit of SP for me. No idea what Mendes was thinking with that scene. It's appallingly directed and the only moment in the entire series where I've groaned when the Bond theme is played.
    It was apparent to me that he was riffing off the far superior Nolan scene in TDKR without trying to make it look like he was.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,000

c78d106186e00050d6d3051046be1406.gif
  • RC7RC7

It was apparent to me that he was riffing off the far superior Nolan scene in TDKR without trying to make it look like he was.

Which one?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

c78d106186e00050d6d3051046be1406.gif
    +1. :))

When was the last time you were satisfied with a Bond actors last film, may I ask? They are all considered underwhelming. LTK has a hardcore fanbase, but is largely forgotten about by your average Joe.

The last scenes of Bond actors are even worse. Did Moore in the shower have you hollering and standing ovation as the credits rolled?

Its far easier to simply accept what you see as underwhelming, in the knowledge that you cannot change it. Creating an addendum to the existing story, just so you can end it in a more satisfying way is never the right reason to begin a creative project.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883

Which one?
    The final scene. Wayne with Selina in the restaurant, seen by Alfred. Basically he's found his babe and is settling down. That plays into the leaving MI6 angle. That's why that whole ending is so vague, so people can see what they want to see.

It also plays into the will he won't he gossip (in terms of returning) which also followed Bale/Nolan post-TDKR for about a year.
    It's the best of all the Bond send-offs to me compared to a Connery camp cruise ship,Lazenby's that wasnt designed to be a send-off,Moore being a dirty old sod,Daltons' winking fish,and Brosnans diamonds with a yankee Jinx...
  • RC7RC7

When was the last time you were satisfied with a Bond actors last film, may I ask? They are all considered underwhelming. LTK has a hardcore fanbase, but is largely forgotten about by your average Joe.

The last scenes of Bond actors are even worse. Did Moore in the shower have you hollering and standing ovation as the credits rolled?

Its far easier to simply accept what you see as underwhelming, in the knowledge that you cannot change it. Creating an addendum to the existing story, just so you can end it in a more satisfying way is never the right reason to begin a creative project.

That's not what I'm saying. I was being facetious. I don't actually want a film to be made purely to make amends for that cack-handed ending. I just believe a decent Craig film can be made.
    It's the best of all the Bond send-offs to me compared to a Connery camp cruise ship,Lazenby's that wasnt designed to be a send-off,Moore being a dirty old sod,Daltons' winking fish,and Brosnans diamonds with a yankee Jinx...

Yes, its a respectable ending. Not embarrassing like some of the others.
    Did Moore in the shower have you hollering and standing ovation as the credits rolled?
    I would have preferred a more dignified sendoff certainly, but there are worse ways to go than losing the soap with Stacy Sutton.