No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'll admit that I did open this thread too early, but discussion didn’t really begin until August 2015.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well the thread was started in January 2015 (well before SP's release even). Arguably that was too early, and it's not surprising that we don't have any news on B25, because this was always going to be a tricky situation with the distribution deal up for grabs. When has MGM surprised us by moving quicker than we expect? Exactly.

That doesn't sound optimistic to me. You must hate the franchise. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Off-topic: Dammit, I miss the old emojis.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Off-topic: Dammit, I miss the old emojis.

Have a
    :cookie:
    then
    LOL

I miss them too :cry:
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    :)] ;)) :)>- :)) :) :(|) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) >:D< :-/ :x :\"> :P <:-P :-* =(( :-& :-$ X( :> B-) :-S #:-S >:) :| :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B :-w =; I-) 8-| L-) :-& :-$ [-( 8-} 8-X =P~ :-?? :-?? :-? #-o =D> =D> b-( @-) :^o :-w :-< >:P :-j :@) :-c ~:> ~O) *-:) 8-X >-) :-L [-O< $-) :-\" b-( [-X [-X \:D/ >:/ :-@ ^:)^ :-j :-c ~X( ~X( :-h :-t 8-> %-( %-( :o3 X_X :!! \m/ :-bd :-bd ^#(^ :bz :ar!

I think that's all. Completely off topic, but there are quite a few emojis if need one.
    :P
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GQ's thoughts on Craig's (possible) final installment, and how to correct the errors of SP:

http://www.gq.com/story/fix-the-franchise-james-bond
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Errors? There are no errors?

That guy has lost me by:

"SPECTRE was easily the worst of Craig’s four 007 movies"
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    For me Newman was Spectre's only error. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »

Sorry, yes of course, you are right!

I usually delete all memory of that cruel joke of a score.
    Murdock wrote: »

Sorry, yes of course, you are right!

I usually delete all memory of that cruel joke of a score.

I wish I could forget but it was just so offensively bland. Not even Mathis's pills could help me forget haha.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm trying to delete memory of the film itself. I find the Craig era is far more appreciable if one cuts it at the end of SF, when Bond accepts his new assignment.

"With pleasure M. With pleasure"

Perfect time to have cast a new man. In fact, they could have theoretically done it after every Craig film, because they all have endings which suggest either new beginnings or endings.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    @bondjames

cut it at the end of QOS and I agree, THAT was a perfect ending!

Skyfall's ending is a sad joke for me. That throwback to classic Moore era MP office felt like a webisode accidentally making it to the final cut of the film.

But then everything after Silva appears is a joke anyway.

:lol:
    I agree that cutting it after QoS would have been fantastic, especially with the four year break that ensued. Craig in SF is quite a different Bond from the CR/QoS time.

I also agree on the retro office fit being a bit clichéd. Dench's office was far more contemporary. I never liked that sort of thing (forced retrofit), even when it was done at the end of Revenge of the Sith. I certainly disliked it immensely at the end of Rogue One.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

Interesting write-up on where B25 could go. Not sure I agree with all of it, but nonetheless interesting.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Interesting write-up on where B25 could go. Not sure I agree with all of it, but nonetheless interesting.

Posted up above. I agree with bits and pieces of it, for sure, but not all of it, like you said.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Benny wrote: »
    :)] ;)) :)>- :)) :) :(|) :(( :( ;) :D ;;) >:D< :-/ :x :\"> :P <:-P :-* =(( :-& :-$ X( :> B-) :-S #:-S >:) :| :| /:) =)) O:-) :-B :-w =; I-) 8-| L-) :-& :-$ [-( 8-} 8-X =P~ :-?? :-?? :-? #-o =D> =D> b-( @-) :^o :-w :-< >:P :-j :@) :-c ~:> ~O) *-:) 8-X >-) :-L [-O< $-) :-\" b-( [-X [-X \:D/ >:/ :-@ ^:)^ :-j :-c ~X( ~X( :-h :-t 8-> %-( %-( :o3 X_X :!! \m/ :-bd :-bd ^#(^ :bz :ar!

I think that's all. Completely off topic, but there are quite a few emojis if need one.

Looks like that devilish purple guy needs some fixing.
  • RC7RC7
    I agree that cutting it after QoS would have been fantastic, especially with the four year break that ensued. Craig in SF is quite a different Bond from the CR/QoS time.

I also agree on the retro office fit being a bit clichéd. Dench's office was far more contemporary. I never liked that sort of thing (forced retrofit), even when it was done at the end of Revenge of the Sith. I certainly disliked it immensely at the end of Rogue One.

Totally agree on the forced retrofitting.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    GQ's thoughts on Craig's (possible) final installment, and how to correct the errors of SP:

At the beginning I quite agree with the writer, but IMO the more he writes, the more he loses it, in the end completely (not so much what he proposes, but his logic behind it).

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

That guy has lost me by:

Like most of the SP dissenters, they like SF in comparison despite that film doing so many of the things they hated in the last one.
    RC7 wrote: »

At the very least it makes sense for a traditionalist like Mallory to have such an office, connecting the space to who he is as a man.

I remember this forum's pages being packed with folks who wanted few things more than a traditional office back, way before SF was an idea in people's heads. I guess it's the same thing that happened with SP's gun barrel. They get it back at the beginning after wanting it for so long, then still don't like it anyway.
  • RC7RC7

That guy has lost me by:

Like most of the SP dissenters, they like SF in comparison despite that film doing so many of the things they hated in the last one.

At the very least it makes sense for a traditionalist like Mallory to have such an office, connecting the space to who he is as a man.

I remember this forum's pages being packed with folks who wanted few things more than a traditional office back, way before SF was an idea in people's heads. I guess it's the same thing that happened with SP's gun barrel. They get it back at the beginning after wanting it for so long, then still don't like it anyway.

For me they're not the same thing. The gun barrel is timeless and iconic, where M's office is time specific. The former is a necessary component, the latter isn't.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

That guy has lost me by:

For me they're not the same thing. The gun barrel is timeless and iconic, where M's office is time specific. The former is a necessary component, the latter isn't.

Naturally the offices move with the times, but as I said, the office also must reflect the man or woman who rules it. It makes no sense for a man as stripped back and old fashioned as Mallory to have a hyper-modern office, and his surroundings in SF and SP reflect that. Like Bond he's a bit of a man out of time, preferring the sturdy and time tested wood to glass and steel. He also offers a nice counter-point to Dench's M who, despite being quite old fashioned in some ways herself, had a very modern set of offices to combine with the very modern ideal of a woman in power.

I think the scripts of both films did a good job of drawing this line between Mallory and Dench's M, and used the visual life of the movies, not only in how he dressed (double-breasted suits aren't very modern either) but also in how he customized his office to look. Being a military man like a long line of Bond bosses dating back to Lee's M, these aren't people who have a habit of preferring to live modern. They're taught discipline and how to survive on little in the service and their surroundings connect back to those now lost ideals of life.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Practically anything would be better than the travesty that is SPECTRE.

Don't kill Bond off but maybe a full stop on this era then reset with a new actor and do the whole SPECTRE thing properly this time instead of the ham fisted rubbish we got with Bond 24.

I really want to see DC get a chance to go out on a high, no more Mendes and if we must have P&W find someone to polish the script who hasn't got their own agenda involved, stick to the character and no more copying other franchises and ruining iconic moments of the series.
    Wade said Trump was a real-life Bond villain. God, what an idiot.
    Well he's not wrong.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Wade said Trump was a real-life Bond villain. God, what an idiot.

Not to get political, but when I think of a Bond villain I think of an egotistical, compensating man who purports to be better and more capable than he really is, often with material fetishes and pursuing schemes to get rich and/or powerful. Trump is the bumbling Auric Goldfinger, and he even has a better gold plane than that bastard ever had. I think that's what Wade was getting at, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was comparing the guy to Goldfinger in his head, knowing their love for the film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Any writer who finds himself incapable of adjusting to the current atmosphere he's in, shouldn't go for the stuff in the slightest. Especially when he politically opposes an administration. You're writing Entertainment. A world of fiction. Stick to that.

If I'd want political lecture from someone, I'd go and watch political debates.

If Purvis and Wade are "lost" (as if that's something new) with how to write a "Bond film" in a "world where Trump is president", then what's stopping them from declining the offer to pen a new Bond film? Adapt or go home.
    I don't think they were saying they're out of ideas, just that when a cartoon is president, you wonder how a movie character came into real life and got the most powerful position in the world. There's an understandable worry that audiences won't appreciate a fictional adventure when so much of the world is already playing out like a badly written reality TV show. The lines between what can happen in movies and in real life has warped in all the worst ways, and P&W have spotted this.

I wonder if Maibaum would've been fried at the stake for saying something similar at this time, or during Nixon's day?
    Any writer who finds himself incapable of adjusting to the current atmosphere he's in, shouldn't go for the stuff in the slightest. Especially when he politically opposes an administration. You're writing Entertainment. A world of fiction. Stick to that.

If I'd want political lecture from someone, I'd go and watch political debates.

If Purvis and Wade are "lost" (as if that's something new) with how to write a "Bond film" in a "world where Trump is president", then what's stopping them from declining the offer to pen a new Bond film? Adapt or go home.
    100% with you on that.