Is it time for a new female 'main villain' in a Bond film ?

124»

Comments

It does and it would have made the film 100000% better than the crap that came out ,a big opportunity missed. :-q
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    barryt007 wrote:
    It does and it would have made the film 100000% better than the crap that came out ,a big opportunity missed. :-q

I would have loved to see the return of George Lazenby as Bond too, of course!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Savalas. And Hunt.
    With those 3 on board it would have been one hell of a film ,Savalas out-priced himself though,which is a big big shame.
    Personally I think it would be good to have an evil Gillian Anderson as a main female Bond villain.
    rs_1024x759-160111082546-1024.the-x-files-gillian-anderson-2-scully.ch.01116.jpg
    I consider Rosa Klebb and Elektra King to be the main villains of their respective films. Klebb is much like Largo in my opinion in terms of ranking within SPECTRE - only better.

Elektra is behind the mayhem in TWINE, so she's the main villain (and main Bond girl in my eyes). Renard isn't a henchmen, but a second, slightly lesser part to the team. Much like what Whitaker is to Koskov, and what Orlov is to Kamal Khan.

Agreed,i mentioned this in my opening post ..

:)
    Yes, it is time. I would love to see Bond up against a female villain who can hold her own in a fight. When's the last time this happened? Xenia Onatopp 20 years ago?
    I would dearly love to see Cate Blanchett given the opportunity to play the lead villain or Tilda Swinton? Both I believe would be ideal for the role!
    I would also enjoy seeing a female big bad. I was hoping they would reveal the leader of SPECTRE or Quantum as female. A new role for a woman in a position of authority now that Dench is out of the series.

Perhaps Irma Bunt could be the main villain of Bond 25, with Blofeld in the background?

Really, they need to shake it up a bit. What better idea than a female main villain? Craig's era has generally been about shaking things up, but apart from the stepbrother bullshit, Spectre played it depressingly safe. (And don't tell me "oh they've done a female villain before" ... Yes, nearly 20 years ago, and only once. We've had dozens of male villains, so it's time for another woman.)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited March 2017 Posts: 7,314
    Say that all villains, big and small were female in a film (unthinkable,I know) and then have Brosnanbond machinegunning them down. Who would want to see that?
    It depends. Will he be touching and sniffing their hair afterwards?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    pachazo wrote: »
    Say that all villains, big and small were female in a film (unthinkable,I know) and then have Brosnanbond machinegunning them down. Who would want to see that?
    It depends. Will he be touching and sniffing their hair afterwards?

At the very least. Hence why it is unappropriate.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    With Charlize Theron playing the lead baddie in the next FF film, will casting a female villain in Bond 25 appear to be following the lead of another franchise?
    will it be seen as unique? Or stale?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 23,883
    peter wrote: »
    With Charlize Theron playing the lead baddie in the next FF film, will casting a female villain in Bond 25 appear to be following the lead of another franchise?
    will it be seen as unique? Or stale?
    This is a good point. Given their penchant for following the trend, I wouldn't be surprised if they do go down this route actually. What worries me is the SW series, with its kick 'a' teen-like heroines. I certainly hope EON doesn't draw inspiration from those for a Bond equal sidekick in the next one. I'm sooo done with that since Halle.
  • GamesBond007GamesBond007 Golden Grotto
    @WillyGalore She was revealed to be the main villain. Bond even alludes to the fact that she turned Renard and not the other way around. It's her plan, her tools, money/organization and so on. If you listen to the audio commentary by Michael Apted, it only reinforces this.

Elektra uses his desire for her to keep him on leash. This is evident in the scene where he asks if Bond was a good lover and she replies "You think I would feel nothing" Once Renard slams his hand through the glass she reels him back in through seduction, offering him what he can't have. Even the theme song for the film is from Elektra's point of view.

In regard to FRWL... Klebb was not the main villain. She did not lead SPECTRE, it was not her plan and Grant was under orders but "how I do it's my business". All she did was confirm Grant as a good pick and interview Tatianna. She contributed almost nothing.
    Cate Blanchett would be great. I always wanted to see her with DC. Even though she was weak in Indy
    She was not weak in Indy. The whole story, writing, plot, what have you were weak. Everything but the casting in fact.

That said, as much as I ADORE Cate Blanchett, I would rather not have her in a Bond movie than play another Fiona Volpe clone or worse, an Elektra. Ian Fleming gave us repulsive villains and villainesses, they finally brought back the creepy, ugly villains of old in the series, let's do the same if female villains show up again.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Ian Fleming gave us repulsive villains and villainesses, they finally brought back the creepy, ugly villains of old in the series, let's do the same if female villains show up again.
    Agreed. We need more Klebbs and Bunts.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Yes, Gillian Anderson, Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett or Franka Potente.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Ian Fleming gave us repulsive villains and villainesses, they finally brought back the creepy, ugly villains of old in the series, let's do the same if female villains show up again.

Long overdue, I say.
    bondjames wrote: »

Long overdue, I say.
    But will Babs go for it? She may take issue with portraying a woman in a negative light physically without some redeeming qualities. I doubt we'll ever see a Rosika Miklos (an ally I realize) for instance in a Bond film again for some time.
    Well they already went for ugly/deformed villains since the Craig era so that's a start. And that woman at the SPECTRE meeting while not ugly was not beautiful and a tad creepy looking.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A traditional male villain is my preference.
  • gemlocations007gemlocations007 London, UK
    barryt007 wrote:
    With the exception of Electra King in TWINE (and even she was an equal with Renard) there has NEVER been a woman as the main villain in a Bond film.

There have been plenty of female henchmen of course such as Klebb,Fiona Volpe,Helga Brandt,Irma Bunt,Mayday,Onatopp,Miranda Frost but no central main character in the vain of Zorin,Drax,Goldfinger,Largo etc.

With Dame Helen Mirren,for example,expressing an interest in this lately,what is your opinion peeps ?

If only they'd have a female Jaws.