Is it time for a new female 'main villain' in a Bond film ?

edited February 2017 in Actors Posts: 19,339
With the exception of Electra King in TWINE (and even she was an equal with Renard) there has NEVER been a woman as the main villain in a Bond film.

There have been plenty of female henchmen of course such as Klebb,Fiona Volpe,Helga Brandt,Irma Bunt,Mayday,Onatopp,Miranda Frost but no central main character in the vain of Zorin,Drax,Goldfinger,Largo etc.

With Dame Helen Mirren,for example,expressing an interest in this lately,what is your opinion peeps ?

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 686
    What difference does it make? :)
    er....quite a bit i would think,but thanks for your contribution....:)
    barryt007 wrote:

I am just joking with you. If it is part of a good effort and script, I doubt any one would have a problem it. If you look at the movies coming out next year, I doubt a female villain is in the cards.
    Double post
  • I'd be fine with it. If they ever decide to have a chief baddie for QUANTUM, this would be different. Or even a "bitch lesbian" type who's truly immune to Bond's charms, an updated modern Pussy Galore type.

The next Bond is scheduled for 2015, so perhaps a female villain might be "in" by then.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I wouldn't mind it as long they don't make a big deal out of the fact that she's a woman. I'm sure they would have the customary quip from 007 but just leave it at that please.
    Perdogg wrote:
    barryt007 wrote:

I am just joking with you. If it is part of a good effort and script, I doubt any one would have a problem it. If you look at the movies coming out next year, I doubt a female villain is in the cards.

Hahaha i know you were joking and i agree,nobody seems to be going down that route at the moment so maybe Bond could be the first,who knows ?

I'd be fine with it. If they ever decide to have a chief baddie for QUANTUM, this would be different. Or even a "bitch lesbian" type who's truly immune to Bond's charms, an updated modern Pussy Galore type.

The next Bond is scheduled for 2015, so perhaps a female villain might be "in" by then.

yes,a female QUANTUM boss would be excellent..one who can look after herself and is TOTALLY focused and evil.

Sounds good to me !!

barryt007 wrote:
    I'd be fine with it. If they ever decide to have a chief baddie for QUANTUM, this would be different. Or even a "bitch lesbian" type who's truly immune to Bond's charms, an updated modern Pussy Galore type.

yes,a female QUANTUM boss would be excellent..one who can look after herself and is TOTALLY focused and evil.

Sounds good to me !!

Maybe Babs should be the next villain - :)) ! If EON had the guts, they could make the villain a Sumuru (Sax Rohmer character) type villain.

barryt007 wrote:
    With Dame Helen Mirren,for example,expressing an interest in this lately,what is your opinion peeps ?

Wouldn't that be a step up for Mirren after "Red 2"!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Colonel Rosa Klebb in FRWL was another female villain, no? I know 'Red' Grant was her back-up, of course.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 418
    I'd personally love to see a female 'main villain' in the next Bond film. I also think that Helen Mirren would be a great choice for part. Cate Blanchett or Charlize Theron would be good too, in my opinion. I'd also like to see a pretty younger 'bad bond girl' - a henchman working for her evil boss, who comes good towards the end and would join forces with Bond to bring the main villain down..
    We've had Elektra King. Jog on people.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    We've had Elektra King. Jog on people.

Wow! What a really insightful and intellectual contribution to this topic. =D>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Just because it didn't work before doesn't mean it won't again.
  • Dragonpol wrote:
    Colonel Rosa Klebb in FRWL was another female villain, no? I know 'Red' Grant was her back-up, of course.

I agree with this, except people will still look at the unnamed Blofeld as the head baddie. Klebb was the field supervisor and giving Grant his orders.

Elektra/Renard was a partnership as I saw it. Sex gave her a bit of the upper hand, but I guess this can be debated depending how you see it.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I agree with this, except people will still look at the unnamed Blofeld as the head baddie. Klebb was the field supervisor and giving Grant his orders.

Elektra/Renard was a partnership as I saw it. Sex gave her a bit of the upper hand, but I guess this can be debated depending how you see it.

It would have made TWINE so much better if it had be revealed that Elektra was the main villain, pulling all the strings and Renard was just her henchman rather than what we ended up with - a partnership.
    @Dragonpol @SirHenryLeeChaChing I always assumed that Elektra was the real power behind Renard. Therefore Renard was more of a henchman than a Villain.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,727
    Perdogg wrote:
    @Dragonpol @SirHenryLeeChaChing I always assumed that Elektra was the real power behind Renard. Therefore Renard was more of a henchman than a Villain.

In my view, you assume correctly, @Perdogg. TWINE had some very complex villainy on display.
    Dragonpol wrote:

I would consider Klebb and Grant to be the main villain of FRWL. Blofeld is too much in the background to get the title. Same thing for TB. Largo is the main antagonist.

I'm all for a Klebb like main villain in the mould Fleming used.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

I would consider Klebb and Grant to be the main villain of FRWL. Blofeld is too much in the background to get the title. Same thing for TB. Largo is the main antagonist.

I'm all for a Klebb like main villain in the mould Fleming used.

I agree. Femme fatales like Valenka and Onatopp rather than "midnight hags" like Colonel Rosa Klebb and Irma Bunt do seem to be the order of the day now, though!
    Jessica Chastain has also said that "She wants to get her hands dirty", and play a Bond villain..
    Zorin61 wrote:
    Jessica Chastain has also said that "She wants to get her hands dirty", and play a Bond villain..

Maybe she can play Maria Freudenstein.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If they bring back Quantum, I say yes. I still envision the leader of Quantum as a woman, and I think women such as Tilda Swinton and Jessica Chastain would be great in the role.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'd like to see Meryl Streep as a Bond villain. I was watching death becomes her the other day and the way she verbally crucifies Bruce Willis in that film just before he pushes her down the stairs was brutal. I can imagine some pretty good verbal jousting between Bond and a villainous character played by Streep.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2013 Posts: 12,459
    Meryl can do anything, I am convinced.

I prefer an older woman, and a really good actress of course, to play head of Quantum OR whatever the main villain may be.
    My favorites at the moment would be:

1) Helen Mirren, for sure
    2) Catherine Deneuve
    3) Charlotte Rampling
    4) Meryl Streep

and not quite as mature, but still not too youngish, maybe just right:

5) Vera Farmiga - I love her looks and she was great in Up in the Air with Clooney

5) Vera Farmiga - I love her looks and she was great in Up in the Air with Clooney

Especially the scene in the hotel! :x

I prefer an older woman, and a really good actress of course, to play head of Quantum OR whatever the main villain may be.
    My favorites at the moment would be:

1) Helen Mirren, for sure
    2) Catherine Deneuve
    3) Charlotte Rampling
    4) Meryl Streep

and not quite as mature, but still not too youngish, maybe just right:

Me too. The main villain needs to have the right gravitas, the right aura of authority, and it is simply easier to convey with a veteran actress. And she would need to look menacing facing Bond, especially played by Craig. Something I was never convinced with Sophie Marceau playing Elektra, and she was against a much "softer" Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, Brosnan wasn't really "soft" in my opinion, and Sophie can act and was pretty. I just didn't like the script of TWINE.

I'd really love Mirren or Farmiga in the role. But I dare say the others I mentioned all have acting chops and could do this role without making it too OTT or camp.
    Well, Brosnan wasn't really "soft" in my opinion, and Sophie can act and was pretty. I just didn't like the script of TWINE.

I'd really love Mirren or Farmiga in the role. But I dare say the others I mentioned all have acting chops and could do this role without making it too OTT or camp.

What I mean is that Brosnan does not seem as dangerous as Craig. I love Sophie Marceau as an actress (not so much as a person), but she never quite convinced me. As a temptress, yes, a honey trap, yes, as an evil spoiled brat, absolutely, but not a very dangerous one and I think it is partially because of her youth.