The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I didn't see anything special out of Pierce in The Ghost Writer. It was a fairly good political thriller, and Brosnan delivered a brooding, grumpy
    and easy-to-be-enraged character performance but that's about it. He did the same in The November Man. It's not as big and glorifying as some people make it out to be. It's certainly not. He gave a better performance in the unrecognized and deeply underrated Butterfly On A Wheel.

First of all, i said decent not extraordinary or a masterpiece, i'm a broz fan since goldeneye came out so i'd say he never made a "Masterpiece" very few actors do.

secundo, we're talking about his movies not his acting in it. two different animals. Ghostwriter was infinitely better than November man, the cast, the acting the story etc

finally "butterfly on a wheel" is called Shattered in USA. it's the revenge movie with Butler broz and bello.
    Done with the lecturing, old boy? I'm a little lost what your response is about. Obviously I wasn't responding to you and aiming at the claim of the others who praised Brosnan's performance in that film.

Not sure where can you quote the "we're" who are discussing his films. All I can see here is his performance that's being discussed in the entire thread.

And thirdo, to reply to a third party discussion where you claimed Rotten Tomatoes being reliable... Haha... they're as reliable as Carver Media News. Please don't bother with more lecturing. I am sure there's Google for a more plausible researching method. Thank you.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,474
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, who realistically looks at RT for any genre, really? Like I mentioned to you the other day, if I believed in RT, then 'Ghostbusters' was one of the best comedies of last year, and 'The Witch' was one of the best horror movies - yet I thought both were beyond terrible. Hence, I don't listen to reviews.

I'd never get to watch another action movie again if I took all the action reviews at face value.

What? apples and oranges, horror and comedy movies don't compare to action movies. you didn't know that?

there is no perfect critics, but RT is usually decent so is IMDB, IMDB has ghostbusters at 5.4/10

anything else?

You're obviously a shit-stirrer, but if you want to have a conversation, I'll gladly reply, you just need to utilize some logic.

Going off your "logic," why is RT credible for some genres and not for others? Because that's obviously what I'm getting at; if you truly think I was trying to compare 'Ghostbusters' to 'The Witch,' then you couldn't be further off point.

If you're going to trash 'Taken' because it doesn't have an original plot, then you'd be helping your argument by not defending the likes of 'Jason Bourne' and 'Jack Reacher' in the very same paragraph. Not that I have anything against any of the three, I love them all, but none of their plots are remotely inventive or unique to the cinematic world.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 67
    I didn't see anything special out of Pierce in The Ghost Writer. It was a fairly good political thriller, and Brosnan delivered a brooding, grumpy
    and easy-to-be-enraged character performance but that's about it. He did the same in The November Man. It's not as big and glorifying as some people make it out to be. It's certainly not. He gave a better performance in the unrecognized and deeply underrated Butterfly On A Wheel.

First of all, i said decent not extraordinary or a masterpiece, i'm a broz fan since goldeneye came out so i'd say he never made a "Masterpiece" very few actors do.

secundo, we're talking about his movies not his acting in it. two different animals. Ghostwriter was infinitely better than November man, the cast, the acting the story etc

finally "butterfly on a wheel" is called Shattered in USA. it's the revenge movie with Butler broz and bello.
    Done with the lecturing, old boy? I'm a little lost what your response is about. Obviously I wasn't responding to you and aiming at the claim of the others who praised Brosnan's performance in that film.

Not sure where can you quote the "we're" who are discussing his films. All I can see here is his performance that's being discussed in the entire thread.

And thirdo, to reply to a third party discussion where you claimed Rotten Tomatoes being reliable... Haha... they're as reliable as Carver Media News. Please don't bother with more lecturing. I am sure there's Google for a more plausible researching method. Thank you.

You can love his new stinkers so-called movie if you want i sure don't end of discussion.

I'd rewatch for the dozens of time one his bond instead or panama.

• You're obviously a shit-stirrer, but if you want to have a conversation, I'll gladly reply, you just need to utilize some logic.

Going off your "logic," why is RT credible for some genres and not for others? Because that's obviously what I'm getting at; if you truly think I was trying to compare 'Ghostbusters' to 'The Witch,' then you couldn't be further off point.

If you're going to trash 'Taken' because it doesn't have an original plot, then you'd be helping your argument by not defending the likes of 'Jason Bourne' and 'Jack Reacher' in the very same paragraph. Not that I have anything against any of the three, I love them all, but none of their plots are remotely inventive or unique to the cinematic world.

I said RT or IMDB, pay attention, btw i agree both the witch and any ghostbusters movies are garbage, besides the point.

Metacritic has Taken at 50% too, wow what a masterpiece indeed! i saw the movie and thought Neeson looks so bored doing it, it lacked ambition. I thought it was a brainless action movie overall. Bourne idendity, collateral or Jack reacher for examples absolutely explode taken in every way. The acting, storyline, music, plot etc and most people agreed as it got better critics and praises.

It doesn't help that Neeson is no Damon or Cruise, sorry for you!

BTW i was there snowboarding in the same day when her late wife died, she skied on the easiest trail in Mont-tremblant in canada, she fell on her head and died, she didn't even have a helmet on! Neeson must be hell of a husband knowing she never skied before and it's possibly the toughest ski resort in eastern canada but whatever.
    [/quote]

• 45% and 34% on rotten tomatoes for what it's worth, and pretty much garnered mixed critics everywhere,

Can we please stop with that nonsense? 'Taken' has 58% on rotten tomatoes, and is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last 10 years. Who on earth looks at RT scores for action films? They only loved Bourne Ultimatum, John Wick and Mad Max Fury Road in the same time-span, so you are telling those 3 films are the only good action flicks made in the last decade?

Actually those 3 movies you mentioned were very good, extremely better than broz's the escape, survivor and november man, not even close.

RT is actually solid when it comes to reviews better than IMDB or metacritics, but it's so easy to blame the critics when we're biased and love certain movies ain't it? You can call it guilty pleasure.

i see you dodge his last 2 movies URGE and I.T?

Taken was an ok movie at best, wow her daughter has been kidnapped that's such an original plot. gimme a break. I'd rank real badass movies like J. bourne, collateral, jack reacher or john wick miles ahead.

What in the hell are you on about? 'Taken' is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last decade. It seems you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and stop basing your arguments on RT scores. Honestly, get out of your fantasy world and get back to reality. You didn't care for Taken, that's fine. It does not change the fact that for a vast majority of people it is one of the best action flicks of the last 10 years.

Regarded by who? who is everybody, you? lmao the subject matter was Brosnan's last action movies, not taken( which is overrated) it's certainly not one of the best action movie of all time or decade lol that's not even a top10 films of the YEAR. I don't base my opinions on RT score i base them on watching it. Taken was formulaic, boring, with flat uninspiring perfomances, i guess many people agrees to that not just RT, metacritic has it at 50% ouch. that's not too good is it?

Her daughter has been kidnapped she must be saved by her "make-believe" 60 years old stringbean daddy that could be her grandfather, that's some plot alright.

Jack reacher and Bourne are 10x better, certainly more original and with better actors.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    @meddleroidz - Next to the 'Quote' button is a little cog symbol, click on that and an 'Edit' option will appear, could you use that instead of tripple posting.

Oh, and on the subject of Taken, whatever the IMDB or RT scores or reviews said (personally, I don't pay attention to either), it was popular enough to reinvent Neeson as an action hero, something which continues to this day.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    45% and 34% on rotten tomatoes for what it's worth, and pretty much garnered mixed critics everywhere,

Can we please stop with that nonsense? 'Taken' has 58% on rotten tomatoes, and is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last 10 years. Who on earth looks at RT scores for action films? They only loved Bourne Ultimatum, John Wick and Mad Max Fury Road in the same time-span, so you are telling those 3 films are the only good action flicks made in the last decade?

Actually those 3 movies you mentioned were very good, extremely better than broz's the escape, survivor and november man, not even close.

RT is actually solid when it comes to reviews better than IMDB or metacritics, but it's so easy to blame the critics when we're biased and love certain movies ain't it? You can call it guilty pleasure.

i see you dodge his last 2 movies URGE and I.T?

Taken was an ok movie at best, wow her daughter has been kidnapped that's such an original plot. gimme a break. I'd rank real badass movies like J. bourne, collateral, jack reacher or john wick miles ahead.

What in the hell are you on about? 'Taken' is widely regarded as one of the best action films of the last decade. It seems you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Get your head out of the sand and stop basing your arguments on RT scores. Honestly, get out of your fantasy world and get back to reality. You didn't care for Taken, that's fine. It does not change the fact that for a vast majority of people it is one of the best action flicks of the last 10 years.

Regarded by who? who is everybody, you? lmao the subject matter was Brosnan's last action movies, not taken( which is overrated) it's certainly not one of the best action movie of all time or decade lol that's not even a top10 films of the YEAR. I don't base my opinions on RT score i base them on watching it. Taken was formulaic, boring, with flat uninspiring perfomances, i guess many people agrees to that not just RT, metacritic has it at 50% ouch. that's not too good is it?

Her daughter has been kidnapped she must be saved by her "make-believe" 60 years old stringbean daddy that could be her grandfather, that's some plot alright.

Jack reacher and Bourne are 10x better, certainly more original and with better actors.
    I recall we had a polite conversation on private message yes?
    Try and remember it.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,690

85% audience score on RT for 'Taken' says you can take your pathetic attitude and shove it. YOU didn't like Taken, so be it. A vast majority of people liked it, so remove that broom-stick that is in your behind. It's okay to disagree with the majority of movie goers. I happen to not be a fan of 'Goodfellas', but I won't go around yelling it's a bad, overrated movie.

'Predator', the original one with Arnold Schwarzenegger, is at 36 on metacritic, will you tell us it's a major piece of sh*t movie too?

I see you are too soft headed to understand math: nearly 500,000 users gave it a 7.8 on IMDB, and 700,000+ gave it a 4.1/5 on RT. There's only 166 review of it on RT. Are you that idiotic to place a bigger importance on 166 people than over 1 million votes on various websites?

And how is Neeson's daughter being kidnapped so he kills everyone more original than the CIA killing Bourne's girlfriend so he kills everyone or Russians killing Wick's dog so he kills everyone?
    Really good little movie. Haven't seen it for years. Need to do a rewatch. Pierce is perfectly cast.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh, and on the subject of Taken, whatever the IMDB or RT scores or reviews said (personally, I don't pay attention to either), it was popular enough to reinvent Neeson as an action hero, something which continues to this day.
    This is the key point imho. It was a sleeper hit. I remember nobody saw it coming. That's something, because the audience responded positively for whatever reason. I much prefer some of the more recent films he's done like Non-Stop & Unknown, but this is the film that set him on this path.

I don't have a problem with RT, Metacritic or IMDB. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't. Most of the time, it's the former.
  • @meddleroidz - Next to the 'Quote' button is a little cog symbol, click on that and an 'Edit' option will appear, could you use that instead of tripple posting.

that's not a triple post, it's to a different guy each time, apparently i have a fanbase even on here!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You can quote and reply to several people in one post.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is the key point imho. It was a sleeper hit. I remember nobody saw it coming. That's something, because the audience responded positively for whatever reason. I much prefer some of the more recent films he's done like Non-Stop & Unknown, but this is the film that set him on this path.

I don't have a problem with RT, Metacritic or IMDB. Sometimes I agree, and sometimes I don't. Most of the time, it's the former.

I still like the first Taken, Unknown, Non-Stop & Run All Night. I have not seen The A-Team, The Grey or A Walk Among The Tombstones. And Taken 2 & Taken 3 I have seen, but I don't believe that they were needed.
    @meddleroidz - Next to the 'Quote' button is a little cog symbol, click on that and an 'Edit' option will appear, could you use that instead of tripple posting.

that's not a triple post, it's to a different guy each time, apparently i have a fanbase even on here!

Irrespective of who you were replying to, you posted 3 times in a row (and all in the space of 12 minutes), that is tripple posting.

But the thing is Goodfellas is one of the best movies of all time, earning near PERFECT scores everywhere, 8.7/10 on IMDB, it takes lil taken and shoves it up his own ass hahaha.

I don't give a shit about taken, why are you so obsessed with Neeson and his run-of-the-mill overhyped movies? This is a Brosnan thread, Brosnan last action movies were laughable, most people agrees with me as it got bad reviews everywhere he's in a slump alright, could you debate that instead or it's too much to handle?

Btw i see you're clueless about the bourne movies, That's in the second movie "Supremacy) her girlfriend is killed not "identity".

John wick 2 has 9.8/10 on IMDB, how about that?

Taken was crap, deal with it, btw Predator is a cult movie, not a great movie, learn the difference.

85% audience score on RT for 'Taken' says you can take your pathetic attitude and shove it. YOU didn't like Taken, so be it. A vast majority of people liked it, so remove that broom-stick that is in your behind. It's okay to disagree with the majority of movie goers. I happen to not be a fan of 'Goodfellas', but I won't go around yelling it's a bad, overrated movie.

'Predator', the original one with Arnold Schwarzenegger, is at 36 on metacritic, will you tell us it's a major piece of sh*t movie too?

I see you are too soft headed to understand math: nearly 500,000 users gave it a 7.8 on IMDB, and 700,000+ gave it a 4.1/5 on RT. There's only 166 review of it on RT. Are you that idiotic to place a bigger importance on 166 people than over 1 million votes on various websites?

And how is Neeson's daughter being kidnapped so he kills everyone more original than the CIA killing Bourne's girlfriend so he kills everyone or Russians killing Wick's dog so he kills everyone?

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    But the thing is Goodfellas is one of the best movies of all time, earning near PERFECT scores everywhere, 8.7/10 on IMDB, it takes lil taken and shoves it up his own ass hahaha.

I don't give a shit about taken, why are you so obsessed with Neeson and his run-of-the-mill overhyped movies? This is a Brosnan thread, Brosnan last action movies were laughable, most people agrees with me as it got bad reviews everywhere he's in a slump alright, could you debate that instead or it's too much to handle?

Btw i see you're clueless about the bourne movies, That's in the second movie "Supremacy) her girlfriend is killed not "identity".

John wick 2 has 9.8/10 on IMDB, how about that?

Taken was crap, deal with it, btw Predator is a cult movie, not a great movie, learn the difference.

So NOW you quote IMDB ratings, you sorry excuse for a film fan? Taken has a 7.8 on IMDB, which is much higher than John Wick or Jack Reacher, so don't give us your retarded nonsense of Goodfella's rating being much higher while ignoring Taken's compared to Wick's and Reacher's.

And where did I mention which film features the death of Bourne's girlfriend? Are you so mentally challenged you are imagining words in other member's posts?

So NOW you quote IMDB ratings, you sorry excuse for a film fan? Taken has a 7.8 on IMDB, which is much higher than John Wick or Jack Reacher, so don't give us your retarded nonsense of Goodfella's rating being much higher while ignoring Taken's compared to Wick's and Reacher's.

And where did I mention which film features the death of Bourne's girlfriend? Are you so mentally challenged you are imagining words in other member's posts?

You're avoiding the new Brosnan movies like the plague, i clearly won this debate, it's just too easy it's like taking a candy from a child. You really have a strange obsession with Taken it's rather pitiful, can you discuss the subjet matter or it's too much for you?

I was referring to Bourne identity, not supremacy, Identity owns taken anyday of the week, pay attention kid.

Taken has 50% on metacritic and like 54% on RT wow astonishing result! IMDB is not the only critics site you know? I disagreed with IMDB with the 7.8/10 It's overrated as hell, never seen such a formulaic plot like this.

Mentally challenged now? LOL at the petty insults, i would love to watch you insult me on my face hahahaha! Tough guy keyboard warrior you! how come then if i'm "mentally challenged" i made 110k$ in 2015 huh?

Game,set and match for Federer!

No you didn't, you said I was clueless about Jason Bourne because I didn't know which film Bourne's girl died in. News flash: I only said she was killed by bad guys, I didn't mention which film she died in , so how did I get it wrong?

And funny how you mention Taken's 50% from critics on RT, but you never mention the audience score from that very same site, which is at 85%.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Getting this back on topic, I'm quite sure very few people have seen Urge, I.T. or even No Escape. I haven't seen the first two, and don't even think they were released near me. As far as I know, even November Man isn't getting a sequel.

Having said that, this is an Appreciation Thread, so I look forward to The Son. Hopefully it puts Brosnan back on the right trajectory.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Love is all You Need is probably Brozza's best film in the last few years:

A very good friend of mine lent me the script for The Thomas Crown Affair 2 which was due to go into production in the period of 2007-2010, written by John Rogers (famous for creating Leverage and The Librarians television series), and was set to be directed by Paul Verhoeven before there were dramatic changes done in the crew and the higher ups which made everyone abandon the project which ended up getting shelved.

It's criminally a shame though because I loved it. I loved every second of it and believe me, it was gong to be a worthy sequel to the first (the 1999 film) had it been made to a film. That's one of the regrets of life, sadly. Some things greatly come and go before even materializing. I was looking forward to that... ah well...
    I wouldn't mind getting a look at that script; I was awaiting it for years, until it fell into production hell and it was all-but-confirmed that they weren't going to get around to doing it. Wasn't it titled 'The Topkapi Affair'? Rumored to star Angelina Jolie, I believe.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind getting a look at that script; I was awaiting it for years, until it fell into production hell and it was all-but-confirmed that they weren't going to get around to doing it. Wasn't it titled 'The Topkapi Affair'? Rumored to star Angelina Jolie, I believe.
    Apparently, later on, it did, yes, @Creasy47. However, it has very little to do with the 1964 film (and the book it's based on) as opposed to being previously thought the otherwise, but it is referenced in the beginning. The Topkapi dagger plays a large part in the story. A very large part. But, trust me, this time Thomas Crown is more scoundrel than he was in the original remake.

Didn't see any sign of a part being written with Jolie in mind, though. The leading lady is a former Persian Princess.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Topkapi Affair was a caper movie in its own right made in the 60s. It was very good. Linking it in to the TC film sounds an interesting idea
    NicNac wrote: »
    The Topkapi Affair was a caper movie in its own right made in the 60s. It was very good. Linking it in to the TC film sounds an interesting idea
    Indeed, @NicNac. Topkapi was a great caper film, however the plot wasn't going to serve the basis of the TC sequel storyline. In the TCA sequel, the events of Topkapi have already happened when a tour guide mentions an attempt to steal the dagger was last made in 1964. That's about it. It has a complete original storyline in TCA 2's case.
  • So unfortunate how both The Thomas Crown Affair and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo still can't get sequels for their two leading men! Both Brosnan and Craig can sure use those continuations in their respective filmographies.
    Unfortunately, they're going to remake the original storyline of The Thomas Crown Affair, with Michael B. Jordan.
    Unfortunately, they're going to remake the original storyline of The Thomas Crown Affair, with Michael B. Jordan.
    That is terribly unfortunate indeed. Hollywood demonstrating it's run out of ideas.
    That is terribly unfortunate indeed. Hollywood demonstrating it's run out of ideas.
    I truly hope that project gets scrapped.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,474

Their latest avenue of success is rebooting/creating a sequel to an old property, and simply switching the race/gender of the characters involved. Stinks of unoriginality, like that upcoming 'Ocean's 8' movie.