No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited January 2017 Posts: 4,622
    What do you guys think about Michael Apted returning? He's beefed up his action chops since TWINE, I think it won't hurt to try. ;)
    After Forster and Mendes,
    I am OK with any of the Broz era directors, and that includes Tamahori, but they are seemingly done w Bond.
    But, sure if Apted is still in play. I'm good
    I'm not that fussy. I just don't like what we've got from the last two drama directors.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    That Forbes article does bring up a couple interesting points—one of which being the sense of "cheeky immaturity" Hardy could bring to the character. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced Hardy could potentially deliver a diametrically fun and lively take on the character (to Craig's take; not that I've disliked Craig's take at all).

The other thing that struck me is how I'm repeatedly reading in this article or that article that journalists—and according to them, popular opinion—were left underwhelmed or disappointed by Spectre. It's easy to always think that within our own rather small fan community our collective majority opinions don't necessarily reflect the attitudes of the larger world out there. But here, with respect to Spectre being a let down, that opinion does appear to reflect "the world's."

Oh, I think Hardy would be a very interesting Bond.

But Nolan would bring the same Mendes-bloat. Look at his last two Batman films.
    Hardy I think established serious Bond cred in the recent Kray brothers gangster flick.
    He had, the look, the self assuredness and the menace down pat I thought.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't want "bloat" and forced self importance. I'm ready for a Bond film that's lean, mean, stylish and fun
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With Nolan's writing, that's what you'd get from his Bond.
  • What do you guys think about Michael Apted returning? He's beefed up his action chops since TWINE, I think it won't hurt to try. ;)

Apted would be more than legit. He knocked it out of the park his first time around. I'm sure he'd do it again! Forster similarly would be welcomed back by me.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't want "bloat" and forced self importance. I'm ready for a Bond film that's lean, mean, stylish and fun

Bloat and self-importance and navel-gazing in spades is the risk you run with Nolan, yes. BUT I'm not so sure that's what he would actually deliver for Bond if given the chance. I think he really could surprise us with a major reinvention of both Bond and his own style. Why do I think this? He's already gone down the dreary, bloated, speech-making path with his Dark Knight films and Bond has been there too, twice, in the hands of Mendes. I don't think Nolan would cover all the same territory again. Look at Interstellar. Marvelous, moving film. A Nolan film, yes, but at the same time far removed from and leagues more mature than the Nolan who delivered The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Inception. He can reinvent himself, and if given the chance maybe he could reinvent Bond too.
    Interstellar was just as bloated and self important as Nolan's other works. I don't think he reinvents himself. He uses his same tropes in different genre's.
  • Interstellar was another long film, true, but it didn't feel either bloated or self-important to me. The film had me engaged the whole way through. Many of the sequences are just masterfully done: the tidal wave, the docking scene, escaping the ice planet and you know who, McConaughey breaking down from watching the video signal.

Or what about Batman Begins? Best of the Dark Knight trilogy in my opinion and none of the traits that have come to define Nolan's weaknesses. I think Batman Begins is actually the best James Bond film that never was. If he goes back to that style of filmmaking—action-adventure with a heart—we could have the best Bond film in decades.
    Batman Begins is the only Nolan Batman film I enjoyed. It's not a James Bond film though. Nothing like Bond in my eyes. We already had Nolan Bond with Skyfall and Spectre.
  • I find a lot of similarities between Begins and Bond: boozy, womanizing antihero with inner demons, humorous Q scene, great larger-than-life villain and henchman played superbly by fine actors, inventive car chase, ample hand-to-hand combat, exotic locale in Ras' mountaintop dojo, Bond girl complete with Flemingesque unconsummated romance, plot to destroy a city via inventive means and for an original reason, amazing ending leading into the next adventure ("Batman Will Return"), good amount of quips and jokes scattered throughout, gadgets, glamour, Rutger Hauer. Slap a gunbarrel on the front end and you've got the best Bond film since OHMSS. Batman Begins was basically Nolan's audition tape!
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,325
    Nolan and Hardy together would be brilliant. But a more fun Bond? Isn't that what Spectre tried to do? It felt a bit Roger Moore at times e.g. pushing the Fiat.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    edited January 2017 Posts: 299
    Hardy is a great actor, he does unhinged and intense well he could bring some good elements to Bond. I would welcome Hardy though is he too big a star in same way Fassbender is?

Yeah I think they're unlikely choices now given how successful they have become and recognizable as other well known characters like Magneto and Mad Max. If this was five years ago i think Fassbender would've been perfect, although I'd still love to see his take. Hardy is a great actor but I'd like to see a more different look in the next Bond. A taller, slimmer and darker 007 like Fleming's vision would be ideal.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,400
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Nolan and Hardy together would be brilliant. But a more fun Bond? Isn't that what Spectre tried to do? It felt a bit Roger Moore at times e.g. pushing the Fiat.

Spectre existed in an odd space.

On one hand, it wanted to be light and Roger Moore-esque. However, Mendes also felt compelled to make it self-important and full of portent. The two styles didn’t really mix and we ended up with a misjudged film.

In regards to Nolan: He would make a great Bond film. In many regards Batman Begins and Inception ae his attempts at Bond stories. However, if you wanted a lean, tight and fun film; Nolan isn’t your man.

He’ll make a film that is epic, emotional and full of self-importance. He’s become shockingly indulgent following The Dark Knight - his final Batman film ran for almost three hours and was so misshapen and self-important. Interstellar is a film I loved – but it’s terribly pretentious and bloated. Any suggestion that Nolan hasn’t gone up his own arse are is totally off-base. (I don’t mind though – it’s one of the reasons I truly admire him)

If you want a fun Bond film then you need to hire someone like Edgar Wright. He would do light and frothy better than anyone.

On Hardy: I feel he would be a mix of Craig and Brosnan. He has the look of a killer (I can see him in the Embassy shoot-out in CR) but I can also imagine him as the suave ladykiller (think of all the charm and insouciance he displayed in Inception).

Suave Hardy:
    Reggie-Kray-TOM-HARDY-in-Legend.jpg

Killer Hardy:
    landscape-1483114972-12638369-low-res-taboo.jpg

Hardy is literally perfect for the role. I feel Hardy and Fassbender are the fan favourites – personally, I’d rather one of these two over another Craig film.
    I wouldn't want Hardy as Bond but he'd be perfect for one of the Spang Brothers. I want to see them in a Bond movie.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Hardy as Bond but he'd be perfect for one of the Spang Brothers. I want to see them in a Bond movie.

Interestingly, Daniel Craig was first put to MGW and BB as a possible Bond villain. In Fleming's CR towards the end there's the bit about the heroes and villains being mixed up. I think any decent Bond actor should have that possibility of also being the villain about them.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That suave Hardy picture from that Kray Brothers movie is exactly what the word 'thug' screams. Sorry, he doesn't have what it takes to be Bond.

And Nolan... I'd run as far away from him as possible. No thank you!
    To see Tom Hardy as close to Bond as can be ,just watch Inception...his role is screaming James Bond to me...he is awesome in it (as he is in all his films tbh).

Otherwise it's Fassbender for me.
    I have. And he doesn't fit the bell there or anywhere else. At best he's a fit for henchman or former SAS type donning a suit in a Bond film. A gangster type as well, like one of the Spang Brothers. That's as best as I can see him coming to.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hardy would be excellent in a Bond film.....as a villain.
    Agreed. And not as Bond. A second rate villain at that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Tom Hardy is a great actor, but he should stick to his priorities, which is to make another Mad Max film as good as 'Fury Road'.
    Honestly the more I think about it the more Hardy Creeps into my number one spot to replace Craig. THAT BEING SAID I would prefer Craig to come back for a final film perhaps with Richie directing and the film being titled The Garden of Death (utilizing much of You Only Live Twice)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Again Hardy wants the job and Fassbender does not. I get the ones against Hardy's appearance but not so much the acting. Hardy is an excellent actor in my opinion and generates far more presence than say Hiddleston whom also is one of my favorites even though he doesn't look the part either. Tall not dark. No cruelness in his looks.
    Tom Hardy will never be Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Not unless he has leg implants to get above 5' 8"!!!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    1988 (for batman but still) and 2005 Called they want their comment back
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Isn't Craig barely above that as well. It sure seemed that way when I saw him on Broadway a few years back.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Craig is only 5' 9"...I don't think an inch is a problem.
    That's what she said.
    ooer missus.....