No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited January 2017 Posts: 2,115
    jake24 wrote: »
    According to @RC7, they have in-house writers so obviously they are working on a story idea, at least.
    No doubt about that. Which begs the question, are Eon authorized to begin the hiring of major creative talent prior to a distribution deal being sorted out? Would it even matter?

From the Bond 23/Skyfall pre-production period, some background that may or may not apply to the current situation.

The Deadline: Hollywood site said things get serious when a director is hired.

Mendes' possible involvement was reported in January 2010. But it was, at the time, as consultant (but with the idea he would direct).

http://deadline.com/2010/01/exclusive-sam-mendes-about-to-be-hired-as-consultant-on-bond-23-21327/

Excerpt:
    //Here’s what sources are telling me: once EON hires a director on their Bond films, it triggers a first payment from MGM. Well, given that MGM is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, and EON may have the right to take Bond elsewhere, it stands to reason that the producers wouldn’t want to do anything right away that further complicates ownership of Bond #23.//

Of course, MGM did end up going into bankruptcy and Bond 23 was put on hold.

Bond 23 was announced as a go in January 2011. There was a short press release. It was the first mention of John Logan as one of the writers.

As early as Jan. 30, 2011, you began to get reports of casting in the movie, including that the production was pursuing Javier Bardem.

http://deadline.com/2011/01/javier-bardem-offered-big-bond-role-as-mgm-leveraging-007-distribution-with-co-financing-deal-to-improve-its-cash-flow-jockeying-studios-increasingly-frustrated-100823/

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Thanks for the info. I recall Craig saying during SF's production that the main production team weren't allowed to meet with each other while MGM was going though its financial troubles.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    According to @RC7, they have in-house writers so obviously they are working on a story idea, at least.

If that's the case, with all this time there's absolutely zero reason for Bond 25 to be disappointing.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    doubleoego wrote: »

If that's the case, with all this time there's absolutely zero reason for Bond 25 to be disappointing.
    I sincerely hope so.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,182
    I have to admit, Naomie's latest interview is gutting. I've always hoped that Babs, Michael and their team are doing some behind-the-scenes progress, even though we know nothing about it. I've always hoped they know substantially more than we do about B25. But now it seems they don't really.

It disappoints me that "nothing 's happening". Something like that would never happen with Cubby in charge. It seems like Barbara is (at least a bit) less invested in Bond than Cubby was. Which, honestly, just makes me worry about the next generation of Bond bosses...
    It's a backlash on the leaks. They're keeping everyone in the dark, this time.
  • Sony update. NY Post (Murdoch-owned US tabloid) says Sony is listening to pitches to sell its movie and TV business.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/19/sony-is-weighing-a-sale-of-film-tv-business/

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If Bond 25 is coming in 2018, it means that filming will start in about 11 months. Can EON just say if they are aiming for next year or not? I don't need to know who's directing, if Craig is coming back, where it will be filmed, etc. I don't even need an exact release date. Just give us an indication of what year they are aiming to release it. In a few months we'll be closer in time to a potential 2018 release than to the SP release, and there is still 0 concrete info from EON that they are indeed aiming to release it next year.
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I think something might be revealed by March or April once that final quarters of an event MGM is going through makes its final conclusion. Therefore, we'll know if they will step ahead. I really hope, though, that Eon buys the other half of the Bond rights from MGM so the godawful company they've become can stop holding their leash. Man, Harry really screwed the Broccolis.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    gt007 wrote: »
    I have to admit, Naomie's latest interview is gutting. I've always hoped that Babs, Michael and their team are doing some behind-the-scenes progress, even though we know nothing about it. I've always hoped they know substantially more than we do about B25. But now it seems they don't really.

It disappoints me that "nothing 's happening". Something like that would never happen with Cubby in charge. It seems like Barbara is (at least a bit) less invested in Bond than Cubby was. Which, honestly, just makes me worry about the next generation of Bond bosses...

But hard to do anything beyond bat around ideas if Bond is tied to MGM and potentially Sony.
    If EoN are keeping things close to the chest after the Sony leaks fiasco then personally i think they're overeacting; and being way too sensitive over the matter. Other films have had script leaks etc and it dudnt neccesarilly have any adverse effects on the film. Besides, it's not as if the leaks hit EoN financially or ruined them in any way or spoiled anything.
    What the leaks did do RE: SP is highlight how much of a mess preproduction was and how some people clearly weren't doing their jobs. If anything, the leaks ironically did EoN a favour and hopefully taught them a lesson in avoiding preproduction problems. They ultimately need to make a better movie. That's the long and short of it.

In any case, EoN still made a highly profitable film with SP but if they want a less divisive movie and want the critical response they're looking for then everyone needs to be on the same page, doing their jobs and not get complacent. Babs and Michael, I have a lot of respect and appreciation for but it was a real dereliction of duty on their part during SP's preproduction that should never have happened. They carelessly put too much trust and time to people who failed to deliver and ironically enough its those people I dont even blame. As producers EoN should have been more effective and responsibly oversee the progress of things before leaving it to the 11th hour and then going into a blind and rushed panic.

EoN are OGs in the game they should have known better but what's done is done and hopefully they can avoid making such silly mistakes in the future. However, I get the feeling SP has left them somewhat deflated and with distribution issues needing resolving, i think it would be unfair to label EoN as not caring about Bond and not beeing as invested as we'd like them to be. These are extenuating circumstances beyond their control but I sincerely hope they do have and are making plans for Bond 25. Not everything needs to be so top secret all the time especially when it's not that necessary or if the outcome isn't exactly overwhelming.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would think the longer the gap, the more likely we get a new Bond and perhaps a completely new cast.
    I certainly hope so.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I certainly hope so.
    +1.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    If EoN are keeping things close to the chest after the Sony leaks fiasco then personally i think they're overeacting; and being way too sensitive over the matter. Other films have had script leaks etc and it dudnt neccesarilly have any adverse effects on the film. Besides, it's not as if the leaks hit EoN financially or ruined them in any way or spoiled anything.
    What the leaks did do RE: SP is highlight how much of a mess preproduction was and how some people clearly weren't doing their jobs. If anything, the leaks ironically did EoN a favour and hopefully taught them a lesson in avoiding preproduction problems. They ultimately need to make a better movie. That's the long and short of it.

In any case, EoN still made a highly profitable film with SP but if they want a less divisive movie and want the critical response they're looking for then everyone needs to be on the same page, doing their jobs and not get complacent. Babs and Michael, I have a lot of respect and appreciation for but it was a real dereliction of duty on their part during SP's preproduction that should never have happened. They carelessly put too much trust and time to people who failed to deliver and ironically enough its those people I dont even blame. As producers EoN should have been more effective and responsibly oversee the progress of things before leaving it to the 11th hour and then going into a blind and rushed panic.

EoN are OGs in the game they should have known better but what's done is done and hopefully they can avoid making such silly mistakes in the future. However, I get the feeling SP has left them somewhat deflated and with distribution issues needing resolving, i think it would be unfair to label EoN as not caring about Bond and not beeing as invested as we'd like them to be. These are extenuating circumstances beyond their control but I sincerely hope they do have and are making plans for Bond 25. Not everything needs to be so top secret all the time especially when it's not that necessary or if the outcome isn't exactly overwhelming.
    I agree. The distribution thing is probably holding everything up more than we know. Having said that, I really hope BB/MGW still have passion for the franchise (beyond the Craig years) and most importantly, a vision for what they want to achieve. If their hearts aren't in it, then we will inevitably see some delays, given how much faith they have invested in the Craig/Mendes/P&W creative team over the years.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,400
    Sam Mendes Daniel Craig, Purvis and Wade to return for Bond 25, says Reddit user
    skyfall_2507406b.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/5fe0d1/craig_and_mendes_to_return_for_bond_25/

I don't know if this guy has any legitimacy, but Mi6 did reference the poster in their last article on the main site.

Part of me is convinced that the whole Brexit mess and Trump's presidency has sparked an idea in Sam. Could be interesting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Part of me is convinced that the whole Brexit mess and Trump's presidency has sparked an idea in Sam.
    I shudder to think about what he may have up his sleeve, if this is in fact legitimate. The whole 'pitfalls of populism' thing was already done beautifully in TDKR, and we know that Mendes looks to Nolan for influence. In any event, when there's a problem 'you can always depend on one man'.
    Reddit? I'm vehemently calling bs on that given the track record of Reddit scoops/news.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,182
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    gt007 wrote: »

But hard to do anything beyond bat around ideas if Bond is tied to MGM and potentially Sony.
    Having your hands tied due to the distribution issues is one thing; "nothing is happening because we're working on another film" is something completely different. Unless of course that's Naomie's way of dealing with the press without giving anything away.
    Sam Mendes Daniel Craig, Purvis and Wade to return for Bond 25, says Reddit user
    skyfall_2507406b.jpg
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/5fe0d1/craig_and_mendes_to_return_for_bond_25/

I don't know if this guy has any legitimacy, but Mi6 did reference the poster in their last article on the main site.

Part of me is convinced that the whole Brexit mess and Trump's presidency has sparked an idea in Sam. Could be interesting.
    I have a great difficulty believing random users who claim they know "people in the film business". But in lack of any other news with even the slightest of credibility, I'll give my two cents.

He says Barbara wants someone "completely different" to replace Craig. So far so good; I do believe that's the best way to go. But then he says the names of Sam Riley and Jack O'Connell are heard the most. One is 25 years old and the other looks like a 20-year-old. I really hope they are not actually in Barbara's mind for Bond... And to be honest, I highly doubt they are.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I hate to say it, but I believe the Reddit guy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We're quoting people off Reddit now? Goodness.

The guy sounds pretty sure that Mendes will do 'Beautiful Ruins' before doing 'Bond 25' in 2019, and yet it was never even confirmed that Mendes would do anything more than produce that movie. I don't buy it, mostly because I have zero reason to believe someone on Reddit, and also because I really, really don't want it to be the case.
    I don't buy that Reddit news even for a dollar. And Sam Mendes can stay away. He's done enough.
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 2,115
    FWIW, here's the Reddit's guy original post from June 2016. (It was posted on this thread, but who knows how many pages ago.) It said the buzz in the London film scene was that Sony will distribute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/4q4kso/preproduction_work_has_begun_on_bond_25/
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    EON meeting with the likes of Yann Demange and Paul McGuigan? It's almost as if the poster isn't even trying - out of the breadth of choices they'd have at their disposal, someone thinks they'd actually be eyeing the directors of "hits" such as 'Victor Frankenstein' and 'Lucky Number Slevin' and 'Pan'? No way.
  • Sam Mendes Daniel Craig, Purvis and Wade to return for Bond 25, says Reddit user
    skyfall_2507406b.jpg

Based upon SF, and to a lesser extent SP, Mendes may actually be a bit of a closet Trump supporter. So if Brexit and Trump have sparked an idea, it could be an Isis/Black Lives Matter plot to assassinate inconvenient Western leaders and open wider the floodgates of third world immigration, destroying the Western world in the process.

• QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I have to say though, why make it up? What does he get out of fooling a couple of semi-hardcore bond fans on reddit?
    skyfall_2507406b.jpg

Based upon SF, and to a lesser extent SP, Mendes may actually be a bit of a closet Trump supporter. So if Brexit and Trump have sparked an idea, it could be an Isis/Black Lives Matter plot to assassinate inconvenient Western leaders and open wider the floodgates of third world immigration, destroying the Western world in the process.
    Haha, exactly!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

sorry. I don't want

Daniel Craig is Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in Shatterhand a film by Sam Mendes.
    I would prefer Hardy and Nolan at this point
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I have to say though, why make it up? What does he get out of fooling a couple of semi-hardcore bond fans on reddit?

That's just his wish. Harris whom actually knows the producers said nothing up.

Hmmm Harris or Reddit hack??? :-? Tough one.
    Well, I want a toilet made of solid gold but that's just not in the cards now, is it? ;)