Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Like supporting ISIS.
    Most extreme fascists are fairly absolute....
    http://www.alternet.org/world/chomsky-israels-response-unsc-hysterical?akid=15056.1353384._VoWOU&rd=1&src=newsletter1069625&t=4

"Israel's delusional hubris and surreal threats to punish the U.N. and the world indicate above everything else how deeply alarmed it is at fast becoming an international pariah, as apartheid South Africa once was."
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Not to get into a long discussion on Israel, the U.S., and the U.N., but this article is fairly straightforward.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/opinion/bibi-netanyahu-makes-trump-his-chump.html?_r=0
    Says, in part:

Bibi never lays down a credible peace plan that truly puts the ball in the Palestinians’ court. And when someone like Obama exposes that — and Bibi comes under intense criticism from the liberal half of Israel, which sees the country getting more and more isolated and less and less democratic — Bibi just calls Obama an enemy of Israel and caves to the settlers. U.S. Jewish “leaders” then parrot whatever Bibi says. Sad.
    More worrisome is the fact that President-elect Donald Trump — who could be a fresh change agent — is letting himself get totally manipulated by right-wing extremists, and I mean extreme. His ambassador-designate to Israel, David Friedman, has compared Jews who favor a two-state solution to Jews who collaborated with the Nazis. I’ve never heard such a vile slur from one Jew to another.

Trump also has no idea how much he is being manipulated into helping Iran and ISIS. What is Iran’s top goal when it comes to Israel? That Israel never leaves the West Bank and that it implants Jewish settlers everywhere there.

That would keep Israel in permanent conflict with Palestinians and the Muslim world, as well as many Western democracies and their college campuses. It would draw all attention away from Iran’s own human rights abuses and enable Iran and ISIS to present themselves as the leading Muslim protectors of Jerusalem — and to present America’s Sunni Arab allies as lackeys of an extremist Israel. This would create all kinds of problems for these Arab regimes. A West Bank on fire would become a recruitment tool for ISIS and Iran.

One day Trump will wake up and discover that he was manipulated into becoming the co-father, with Netanyahu, of an Israel that is either no longer Jewish or no longer democratic. He will discover that he was Bibi’s chump.

An excellent piece by Thomas Friedman. Thanks @4EverBonded.

And it underscores what I wrote earlier: Just because Netanyahu is the PM of Israel doesn't mean Jews (particularly those of us here in the U.S.) will blindly support him.
    You know what I hope? I hope that in a couple of years I look like a real as**ole as Americans get more & better jobs, where food stamps are basically no longer necessary, & the economy is roaring along. A world where peace breaks out in unexpected places, and nukes, although used successfully as socio-economic bargaining chips, are never used as actual weapons of war.
    I'd *LOVE* to appear the alarmist fool from 2016 that had it all wrong. Please.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Wow. This is quite shocking news for me. It seems the FBI and the CIA will come with solid proof before January 20th backing up these sanctions. I'm pretty sure this is quite a vengeful act from the USA, but sooner or later there had to be a fierce answer from the current US government. Especially since the USA is not invited at the negotiating table with Turkey, Iran and Russia:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/white-house-sanctions-russia-over-election-hacks-233034

It also shows that Obama is totally sick of Trump. But then again, this entire year Trump has shown that he was sick of Obama. So really surprising this isn't. But it does show that Trump needs to get to work on day #1. He can't just wipe away solid proof showing that Russia is humiliating the USA with means of cyber warfare. And how will Trump deal with Republican senators like John McCain who now forcefully seem to team up with the Democrats?

Well, at least this shows Obama has some serious balls. Trump has balls too. But I do prefer Obama's balls.

And then this:
    Politico: “Donald Trump can’t decide whether he thinks the transition of power is going well or not. But he knows he doesn’t like how much attention Barack Obama is getting and is also bothered by what Trump and his closest advisers see as an active effort to poke the president-elect and undermine the incoming administration with last-minute policy changes on his way out of office, according to two people close to the transition.”

“And the relationship is likely to get worse in the three weeks until the inauguration: Obama is scheduled to give a farewell address Jan. 10 that is expected to be a recounting of his successes and an inherent contrast with Trump and the administration is rushing to make public a report on Russian hacking during the election that intelligence officials say was done to help Trump, though the president-elect has disputed that entirely.
    Back to Russia with no love.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan goes against Trump; he supports the sanctions on Russia
    Obama's letter to Congress, about the new sanctions on Russia.
    Here's info on London's state of kleptocracy
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Back to Russia with no love.

I think this is important stuff for everyone to read. Not the crap that you find on the internet. But good, insightful, investigative, neutral journalism. The three articles are long. And most likely most of the forummembers in here don't even dare to read this, because it's simply too lengthy stuff. Which is sad though, because everyone in here ought to read this.

So for all of you, three great articles from an October edition of 'The Economist' (last week of October 2016). I used my 13 megapixel Sony Xperia camera for it, so everything is perfectly readable. Enjoy:
    e2wnogK.jpg
    P2Skb2F.jpg
    YCOiZmV.jpg
    YAq5fL1.jpg
    sqyCqx2.jpg
    6p57kdL.jpg
    oSkgRuq.jpg
    X0Swz33.jpg
    Pz3VJWY.jpg
    m6cWEPj.jpg
    6QXU3Xm.jpg
    6XN8mUC.jpg

Once you have read it, you should be damn sceptical about Russia, about 'Putinism', and Putin's true intentions. I don't want to fear people, but these articles gave me a very uncomfortable feeling about the prospect that Russia will start dictating politics in Europe and the USA. Frankly, it frightens me.
    Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan goes against Trump; he supports the sanctions on Russia

:-O
    Yes, he whined about the Obama admin. but he definitely supports the sanctions. That puts him squarely opposite Trump on that issue.

Once you have read it, you should be damn sceptical about Russia, about 'Putinism', and Putin's true intentions. I don't want to fear people, but these articles gave me a very uncomfortable feeling about the prospect that Russia will start dictating politics in Europe and the USA. Frankly, it frightens me.
    It SHOULD!
    Thanks Gustav, it was long, but there was a lot there I didn't know or was only dimly aware of.
    No wonder he's Trump's pal.....
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    chrisisall wrote: »

:-O

I'm not surprised. The moderate Republican senators are going to make life difficult for Trump...very difficult. 1/3rd of all Republican senators and all Democratic senators teaming up together: that will put some serious cracks in Trumps proposed foreign policy agenda -if there is one-.

And this is how it should be the case. Still a majority of Americans feel humiliated if they become Putin's lapdog.
    There is plenty of information on Putin to be found. But the ones who are happily swallowing everything Trump says are the ones who need to wake up to reality and consequences and such - and they won't be reading this kind of thing. They don't care, they are just gleeful still at "getting back" at something, someone, the system, etc. A generalization from me, but I think sadly true. Thank you, though, Gustav. We need to keep sharing facts and articles and true accounts from people who have lived through experiences relevant to what is happening now in the U.S.
    The saner moderate Republicans in Congress all need to get a stronger backbone and act (as do many Democrats). Some are acting, but we need more of that and quicker.
    An easy to read, clear piece from November. Click into it to open up and read all the points and comments.

and this recently pointing out that journalists need to fight hard and stay focused (also you can read a lot more in this, click to open, scroll up and down, as usual ...)

Good point from Gary Kasparov:
    Yes, @chrisisall, I hope things improve. I hope our govt representatives act ethically and strongly and that our country moves in a good direction and good things are accomplished, our civil rights protected and strengthened, all of that. But that is not the path the incoming administration is on. Not at all. So we hope, and look for the truth and facts and logic, and just do what we can, to make the positive things actually happen. Not give up. That is one trait I think Americans (big generalization here!) do have: We don't give up. To not accept the unacceptable, no matter how it is disguised. We have to have hope ... and we will act with hope. Our country does not have to succumb down a racist, intolerant, authoritarian governed, reckless, dangeous path. It doesn't. Hope and continued good efforts. We can do it. I am hoping we do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    All of our governments have been authoritarian during my whole life.
    Not to that extent, no. :) I mean extreme authoritarianism; but you know what I mean anyway.
    Putting yourself above others and imposing your will on them is extreme either way.
    Putting yourself above others and imposing your will on them is extreme either way.
    Welcome to Government 101.

:D
  • All of our governments have been authoritarian during my whole life.

Just hear yourself.....
    Self-discipline has never been mankind's strong suit. Since the Vietnam War the pricks have been on a learning curve to control public opinion, and now they're REAL good at it. It reinforces my 'thirds' theory. One third of us either intuitively sense the truth or can be convinced with appropriate evidence, one third can be swayed with well-written nonsense, and the last third will believe whatever they hear first or most frequently. This goes for all people in the world, not just Americans. We (Americans) just consume the preponderance of the best written nonsense is all.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Thank you for the article, @Gustav_Graves.

Good read.
    All of our governments have been authoritarian during my whole life.

Just hear yourself.....

You enjoy a leash and a spank, fine. I don t.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 45,489
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Self-discipline has never been mankind's strong suit. Since the Vietnam War the pricks have been on a learning curve to control public opinion, and now they're REAL good at it. It reinforces my 'thirds' theory. One third of us either intuitively sense the truth or can be convinced with appropriate evidence, one third can be swayed with well-written nonsense, and the last third will believe whatever they hear first or most frequently. This goes for all people in the world, not just Americans. We (Americans) just consume the preponderance of the best written nonsense is all.

That s very insightful. I agree with it all, nonsense or not.
    One judge trying to do the right thing ...

(AP) - Judge temporarily blocks law stripping N. Carolina governor-elect of control over elections just before he takes office

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/north-carolinas-incoming-governor-sues-republican-lawmakers/?989894
    In part:
    Wake County Superior Court Judge Don Stephens blocked the new law, which would end the control governors exert over statewide and county election boards, as Gov.-Elect Roy Cooper is set to take office Sunday. Stephens ruled that the risk to future free and fair elections justified the temporary block and said he plans to review the law more closely Thursday.

North Carolina Supreme Court Chief Justice Mark Martin also could appoint a three-judge panel to hear Cooper’s challenge to the law’s constitutionality.

Cooper sued on Friday to block the law, which passed two weeks ago. He said the GOP-led General Assembly’s action is unconstitutional because it violates separation of powers by giving legislators too much control over how election laws are administered. Under current law, all elections boards would become controlled by Democrats in 2017 — unless the legislation in question takes effect.

Though that law creates a new body described as independent, Stephens got a lawyer representing Senate leader Phil Berger and House Speaker Tim Moore — both Republicans — to admit that legislators would exert the greatest control on the new, combined elections and ethics board.
    Senator John McCain has called an urgent hearing.

In part:
    The hearing will come a week after the Obama administration announced new sanctions on Russia in response to the election interference. Witnesses invited to the hearing include Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Marcel Lettre and Adm. Michael Rogers, head of U.S. Cyber Command and director of the National Security Agency.

The Senate Armed Services Committee indicated there is also a possibility of a closed session following the hearing Jan. 5, allowing lawmakers to receive an update on sensitive information.
    Sounds cool. But I won't hold my breath.
This discussion has been closed.