Analyzing the Transition of Power After The U.S. Election and Beyond Into Future Global Politics

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2016 Posts: 4,554
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Well, it's official- A few brave souls in the Electoral College changed their votes, but not nearly enough. Thanks for the fascist Christmas present, the rest of you embracers of the destruction of our democracy. ANY other Republican choice (okay, NOT Dick Cheney) would have been better. Colin Powell got most of the dissenter's votes from what I see. Hell, even Romney would have worked...
    Putin's pal Trump won't have an easy road to destroy us, but he shouldn't have a road at all.
    Stay strong in the struggle, my Constitution loving friends.
    And now let's work to get rid of the Electoral College; they've shown that for the greater part, they are useless in our system.

I would have been OK with John Kasich.
    For me the US has not imposed stability on the world, they were the one who destabilized the middle east with their daft 2nd attack on Iraq.

I am afraid what will happen once they declare war on Iran. We from Europe are already feeling the hurt because the US does a fairly good job keeping it borders closed for another organised attack. Europe has a far more open society and vulnerability.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We've destabilized South East Asia, Central America, the Middle East, and now our own selves. We're good at it.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    We've destabilized South East Asia, Central America, the Middle East, and now our own selves. We're good at it.

I know, it scares most rational thinking people.

• edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    SaintMark wrote: »
    For me the US has not imposed stability on the world, they were the one who destabilized the middle east with their daft 2nd attack on Iraq.

I am afraid what will happen once they declare war on Iran. We from Europe are already feeling the hurt because the US does a fairly good job keeping it borders closed for another organised attack. Europe has a far more open society and vulnerability.

I think you forget one pivotal element here. The invasions of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union for instance? And let's not forget Russia's renewed involvement now in Russia.

It's funny. People still blame the USA, when the voters back in 2008 clearly gave a signal to Obama that he had to retract the heavy military force in the Middle East. That's one promise he kept and everyone is forgetting that.

In return, Russia starts making the very same mistake as they did back in the late 70's and early 1980's. We saw what that could lead to yesterday. A Russian ambassador being killed in front of camera's.

And make no mistake.......there used to be some relative peace between Kurds in Turkey, Iraq and Syria. Now thanks to Erdogan and Putin they are doing something that Obama did as well: Create another ISIS. This time within the region of Kurdistan.

That can't be good. But yet still lots of people applaud Putin for his so called 'leadership'. My ass..... In a way I think the USA learned from their mistakes. They stay silent when Russia and Turkey instead are making more mess out there. And Trump can shout a lot about Obama. But the fact is that he should be damn happy he inherits Obama's politics of radical retreats of American forces.
    GG - the invasion of the Russians in Afghanistan was doomed to fail as history has shown us time after time, but then the US did help this little group of rebels, Taliban, with weapons and military advisers to kick the Soviets behind.

The real destabilization of the middle east started by removing a little dictator which shifted the religious balance and started a civil war between the various Islamic groups, which grew into ISIS. SO far the story about Obama creating ISIS. It is the direct result of the Conservative HAWKS who wanted to protect the US oil interests.

Putin did take sides with Assad from Syria because the US would have picked the other side. And when we get to Iran the same will apply. Or China for that matter as it is a far more advanced military and economic country than decrepit USSR.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2016 Posts: 12,459

“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule isn't the convinced Nazi, or the convinced Communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact/fiction no longer exist” - Arendt (fuller quote in link)
    And article here: https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/12/20/hannah-arendt-origins-of-totalitarianism-loneliness-isolation/
    Here's an interesting little map! Called "The World According to Ronald Reagan".
    If you change the wording on Russia to read something like "New Best Buddies" it may fit pretty closely with Trump's view today. ;) (Oh, he'd probably want your lovely California to be a tad smaller, too, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs)
    NSA losing talented personnel for a variety of factors, including morale.

https://www.cyberscoop.com/nsa-morale-down-keith-alexander-mike-rogers/
    Nat'l Security Agency (NSA) former director, Keith Alexander:

Low morale at the National Security Agency is causing some of the agency’s most talented people to leave in favor of private sector jobs, former NSA Director Keith Alexander told a room full of journalism students, professors and cybersecurity executives Tuesday. The retired general and other insiders say a combination of economic and social factors — including negative press coverage — have played a part.
    "What really bothers me is that the people of NSA, these folks who take paltry government salaries to protect this nation, are made to look like they are doing something wrong,” Alexander said Tuesday. “They are doing exactly what our nation has asked them to do to protect us. They are the heroes. They are the ones that deserve our praise. Not a guy who took this race to Hong Kong and to Moscow.”
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 11,119
    I'm gonna miss those gals a lot :-):

Having seen this now makes me say one thing: Don't write off Joe Biden yet :-).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Soviet Union never invaded Afghanistan.
    :)
    NSA losing talented personnel for a variety of factors, including morale.
    https://www.cyberscoop.com/nsa-morale-down-keith-alexander-mike-rogers/
    As fascism increases, the heroes step back a bit. Guys and gals in the intelligence community are by their very nature intelligent. Civilian cops can be (and ARE) hired for their susceptibility to following orders no matter what (and this generally requires less than stellar IQ), but the peeps that do this kind of work sometimes have progressively logical thinking, and while it's generally a functional necessity, it's also a drawback (to the authoritarian minds) to employees in the long run.
    They don't want no more Snowdens....
    :)]
    Well, it's official- A few brave souls in the Electoral College changed their votes, but not nearly enough. Thanks for the fascist Christmas present, the rest of you embracers of the destruction of our democracy. ANY other Republican choice (okay, NOT Dick Cheney) would have been better. Colin Powell got most of the dissenter's votes from what I see. Hell, even Romney would have worked...
    Putin's pal Trump won't have an easy road to destroy us, but he shouldn't have a road at all.
    Stay strong in the struggle, my Constitution loving friends.
    And now let's work to get rid of the Electoral College; they've shown that for the greater part, they are useless in our system.

Now we'll get to see if Trump can keep himself in office in 2020. I think the Republicans made a big mistake. They could have endured one term of Hillary Clinton and made their movie in 2020 with a better candidate than Donald Trump. Alas . . . they will be forced to support him in 2020. If he can keep the American people on his side (what am I saying? He lost the popular vote!) in the next four years, perhaps the Republicans won't have a struggle on their hands. Of course, that depends upon the people forgetting what happened during this election.
    Yes, @DRush76, the GOP have made a terrible mistake for our country. They thought, are thinking, they can manipulate Trump to their will. The GOP, in general, are gleefully thinking of all the things they can UNDO by Obama, by and large. Happily thinking they can control Trump, oh yes. Let's just get our very outdated, prejudiced, and set in concrete attitudes together and change things back again. NOT all Republicans - but as a whole, there is far too much of that.
    My concern is not for 2020, it is for 2017 and 2018. The most threatened time for our Civil Rights is now and in the first year of his presidency. I am honestly hoping Trump is impeached and removed. Yes, I know we would then have Pence. But Trump is a puppet; and besides that, is only out for himself. The people he has appointed head of various departments are put there to destroy things, turn the clock backwards, etc. Anyone who sincerely thinks, "Well in 4 years we'll just have a new president" is, in my opinion, not seeing the very clear picture of what is happening to our entire democracy, our country, right now. It is easy to say that. Please look closer.

The unity is not happening. The "being president for all" is NOT even a glimmer. Our country is being torn apart by hatred, including racial hatred, fear of anyone "different" let alone immigrants, just right down the line. Trump's words ring hollow when it comes to any genuine, consistent disavowing of racism, bigotry, and violence. Indeed, throughout his campaign and continuing to this very moment, Trump is stirring up the hatred and encouraging rabid, blind following. He is. He rejects our own country's intelligence sources and the community as a whole. He still has his own private security, not just Secret Service. His own guards, loyal to him. He looks like he will keep that. He is maintaining two residences. His kids are up to their necks in everything they should not be. He is making money, personal deals for his own benefit, while president elect and already shaping that clearly as part of his presidency.

Look at everything. Too long a list, really. His recent "thank you" rallies where he himself pointed out some of his supporters were violent (in a wry, approving kind of way). Rallies to keep him going, keep things stoked. This is not how a winner should behave, let alone in government. Look at his proposals, some of which are clearly aimed for voter suppression and denying freedom of religion. Look at his treatment of our press in general. Freedom of speech. All our rights are threatened. This is not fearmongering, it is fact-based - and we need to err on the side of caution when dealing with something this extreme. Extremely wrong for our citizens, for our democracy, for our country.

None of Trump's actions have shown him to be worthy of being president of the United States.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 17,698
    Pence is a bad Penney, but Trump is worse, a LOT worse, because he's what's referred to in D&D as Chaotic Evil & Pence is Lawful Evil.... [-(
    Pence, I think, can be dealt with. Trump cannot (as is) and should not. Meaning the only way to deal with Trump is to remove him from office. That is necessary. Pence's attitude/demeanor is at least a far cry from Trump's and he would not be holding ego stoking, hate inflaming rallies. He would be a threat in other ways - but not goading us into violence and civil war outbreaks.
    Pence, I think, can be dealt with. Trump cannot (as is) and should not. Meaning the only way to deal with Trump is to remove him from office. That is necessary. Pence's attitude/demeanor is at least a far cry from Trump's and he would not be holding ego stoking, hate inflaming rallies. He would be a threat in other ways - but not goading us into violence and civil war outbreaks.

Precisely.
    The republican Governor of South Carolina lost the election and is changing some laws before he leaves office and in doing so effectively hindering his democratic successor who will be busy untangling this mess before he can really change stuff and do his job in a way he his supposed to do. It seems it is all to do with insuring that they remain in power in any way possible.
    delete
    Not finding current info on what Democrats and others plan to do to counteract this - except plans for a lawsuit. http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/12/18/north-carolina-gop-to-be-hit-with-massive-lawsuit-over-dictator-like-tactics-details/

Here is more info on what the GOP in North Carolina has done, stripping rights from the incoming governor.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    About time. It's time to fix our country.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Suggestions are always appreciated. About time for what? Fix our country how?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Reduce the GOP's grip. They have way too much control.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 7,506

Reduce the GOP's grip. They have way too much control.

Agreed.

I have said it before and I say it again: The greatest threat to the US is not China, Russia, ISIS or Iran. It is the GOP. So many of the country's problems are thanks to them. And it is only getting worse...
    jobo wrote: »
    The greatest threat to the US is not China, Russia, ISIS or Iran. It is the GOP.
    Corporate unduly influences many, many Democrats, but they outright own the GOP.
    GOP stands for Gargoyles Of Prey btw.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    GOP stands for Gargoyles Of Prey btw.

I thought it was Grabbers of Pussy. Different strokes...

Say what?! ...
    8fbb35940600cfedb259926564e02af6.jpg
This discussion has been closed.