No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think its too soon to be dismissing actors before we have even the slightest inkling of where the franchise will turn next. I mean, even Sam Mendes admits to saying that Craig would be a terrible choice for Bond, before he knew the direction they were going to take. People are so used to the Craig era right now, its easy to forget that the next era will likely be completely different. That's just what happens over time, tastes change.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Of course Turner has charisma and screen presence. Just because he hasn't done much cinema work doesn't mean he wouldn't work there.

Moore and Brosnan both were TV actors and worked perfectly and Brosnan got himself a very successful cinematic career while Bond and beyond to this day.

Aidan Turner's acting talent can be seen in Poldark and other stuff.
    If Daniel Craig was good enough in Layer Cake, Turner is good enough easily.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes, people can still have an opinion about potential actors. Out of the names so far tossed out to the public, no one, IMO, strikes me as Bond. I'd probably take Turner over Hiddleson, but probably go Idris over Tuner. But, in the end, none excite me so far.

And, if I was going to guess, the names we've seen mentioned have a snowball's chance in Hell of becoming the next 007. If anything, EoN likes their name in the papers, but, when the time comes when they are re-casting (and my feeling is, that time is not yet upon us), the new Bond will be no one that's been seriously mentioned in the rags.
    The next Bond is in his 20s right now. I doubt we will get it but I would like to see the next era explore Bond in his mid to late 20s starting out as a real rookie. CR was missed oppurtunity in the sense we never saw Craig training to be a double 00
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The next Bond is in his 20s right now. I doubt we will get it but I would like to see the next era explore Bond in his mid to late 20s starting out as a real rookie. CR was missed oppurtunity in the sense we never saw Craig training to be a double 00

I highly doubt the next Bond actor is under 30 at the moment.
    If Craig does one more we wont see a new actor until at least 2022-2023. Thats seven years. The next 007 could be 26 right now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    agreed with @Tuck. They're not re-casting at the moment. The next actor is floating out in the ether of our world... mid to late 20s...

I'm sorry @Mendes, Turner reminds me too much of a cheaper Orlando Bloom. And Orlando Bloom could never be Bond.
    Joe Alwyn that starred in Ang Lees Billy Lynns long halftime walk is someone I would be looking at, a young Brit,
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The "we are all a bit tired" line could definitely include (if not directly pertain to) Mendes. As if he and Craig are tied at the hip and we couldn't possibly entertain the notion of getting a new director. If true, then I'd definitely be in favor of starting anew and getting a completely new team onboard.
  • peter wrote: »
    @michaelbrown, I'm not sure charisma and screen presence is something one grows "in to". Someone like Connery just had "it"; someone like Arnold Schwarznegger, although NOT a very good actor, had oodles of charisma (that I think came from his ego wanting to win everything; it served him well as a live performer in his body building years, and transferred to his earlier films). And yes, Craig has this as well, and is why re-casting the role of 007 will be very difficult.

I hope you didn't take offence to my Dalton remark; I have said on this forum that the man had the right idea, I just found he executed with too much staginess, not enough natural flow (and, at times, I found him angry and not likeable!).

@peter no problem, I wasn't offended at all. Opinions are opinions and whilst I like Dalton I do understand your criticisms too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Even though I'd have no problem if either Turner or Hiddleston get the part, which I don't think is very likely, I agree with @peter that neither of the "candidates" set by the media even come to capture the "It-Factor" for me to say "Ahah! THIS is our guy!". But, then again, Eon Productions hardly go for the obvious-looking choices and settle for the preference of their own.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Another rookie Bond straight after the Craig era? Not going to happen.
    For God's sake, not another "reboot".
    I'm not remotely interested in a young Bond adaptation, or a film chronicling his navy years. The origin story concept has been so played this past decade. Is anyone really looking forward to Die Hard Year One?

ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm not remotely interested in a young Bond adaptation, or a film chronicling his navy years. The origin story concept has been so played this past decade. Is anyone really looking forward to Die Hard Year One?
    Overtly played, I'll say. I'd rather they don't do "origins story" again. A soft reboot perhaps, if that word [reboot] doesn't sound so abysmal as I feel prejudiced against it, but if they were to start with a new actor, I'd rather they start a new continuity and leave the Craig era for itself. Just the way the film series started with Dr. No featuring a veteran 00-agent James Bond rather than a rookie or whatever they call it.

And I would very much prefer if it's a straightforward James Bond film, Bond on a mission going after a villain and save the world. No emotional dilemmas are also a must.
    Overtly played, I'll say. I'd rather they don't do "origins story" again. A soft reboot perhaps, if that word [reboot] doesn't sound so abysmal as I feel prejudiced against it, but if they were to start with a new actor, I'd rather they start a new continuity and leave the Craig era for itself. Just the way the film series started with Dr. No featuring a veteran 00-agent James Bond rather than a rookie or whatever they call it.

And I would very much prefer if it's a straightforward James Bond film, Bond on a mission going after a villain and save the world. No emotional dilemmas are also a must.

This is precisely what I believe will happen.
  • ToTheRight wrote: »

+1
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

+1
    +2.
  • I didn't read the article as idle speculation.

Friedman is a Hollywood insider, his article directly speaks to the author of the novel 'The Voyeur's Motel'. It seemingly indicates that Friedman has some kind of inside track on matters occurring behind-the-scenes.

Interestingly, Friedman was one of the first people to reveal details of Mendes' return for Bond 24. He also confirmed Adele's involvement in SF and released the lyrics ahead of time....
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/05/31/now-sam-mendes-is-probably-directing-bond-24-which-is-probably-coming-out-i

Personally, I think the stars are aligning for Sam to return. Here's the evidence:

- When SP came out he said it would likely be his last Bond film. However, he added the caveat that he could return - he just needed some distance first. Maybe this was just Mendes not wanting to appear churlish and ungrateful at the time, but it's been a year now.
    - We know Craig was apprehensive about doing Spectre without Mendes. If EON wanted DC back, they may also have to get Sam to appease Craig.
    - All of Mendes' post-Bond films have stalled. Instead, he's retreating to the theatre next year doing a play written by the bloke who also wrote Spectre!
    - Mendes has since had a year to think of his decision and has come back and given a definitive "no" to returning. But....he said the exact same thing last time!

Finally, (and i think this is the most important point).....EON would let him finish the story he begun. I know this runs contrary to everything a lot of fans would want, but I can imagine Sam wanted to come back for this sole reason. (he said he only wanted to do SP as the thought of someone else playing with the characters of M, Q, MP and Bond made him jealous)

Just as Spectre felt like an end to Craig's era, it also left numerous unanswered questions: Can Bond live happily ever after with Madeleine? Will Blofeld return? These were all questions posed by Sam and likely ones he could be enticed to return and answer. Maybe we could even get a true adapation of YOLT?

Plus, Mendes loves grabbing a current zeitgesity theme - what better than the ugly return of nationalism and soverignity? Here's an article which pretty much reviews the next Bond film fore it's even been released:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/donald-trump-brexit-article-50-british-passport-james-bond-film-a7434221.html
    (We all know this is where Bond 25 is heading; SF latched on to Assange and SP on Snowden)

I do feel that Sam burnt out a little with SP....I think SF is a masterpiece because Mendes took his sensibilities and applied them to the Bond formula; however, SF was a Mendes film first. SP was Sam's victory lap. He just wanted to kick-back and have some fun. So we were left with a bloated, silly and disposable Bond film. It felt like his heart wasn't quite in it as much as it was in SF.

rexfeatures_3243060a.jpg

If we can get the Mendes who made SF back - that would be amazing! Just not the bloke who made SP.

"The ugly return of Nationalism and Soverignity..."

As I recall, Bond was always a devote nationalist. For Queen and country, remember? Her Majestys loyal Terrier?
    Exactly. If he doesn't like that "ugly" thing, he could go and join Greengrass' board to make Bourne films and anti-nationalist thrillers.

Indeed. But then these types of guys are always on the wrong side of history.

Just a reminder Craig will be Bond in Bond 25 and 2018 is still possible
  • re: Bond 25 and 2018

A key date is spring 2017. If there is a first draft script submitted sometime in the spring, that'd be a big step forward.

SPECTRE's first draft was submitted in March 2014 and it was considered late.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The Hobbit really is no reference for Aidan Turner's qualities. In The Hobbit he comes across silly. But then what does not in that movie.

I am a Turner fan since almost ten years now. Mitchell is one of my favourite TV characters ever and Turner already was bloody (literally lol) fantastic in Being Human at a very young age.
    Imagine what this guy can do once he's reached 35-45!

+1

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »

+1
    +2.

+3.
    How long is DC committed to the play he is involved in?
    Not long. Around mid January. Then Purity.
  • RogueAgent wrote: »
    How long is DC committed to the play he is involved in?

Jan. 18.

http://www.nytw.org/show/othello/
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Anyone know when 'Kings' starts shooting? Casting has already begun.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2016 Posts: 7,983
    "Bond 25 "in development"

And somewhere deep in the Earth there is a lump of coal that will one day be a diamond. ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    talos7 wrote: »
    "Bond 25 "in development"

And somewhere deep in the Earth there is a lump of coal that will one day be a diamond. ;)

Not that fast..
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    Anyone know when 'Kings' starts shooting? Casting has already begun.

I don't know. Presumably after Purity, which might take up six months' time. Has anyone heard when Purity starts filming?