"Thats Just Too Much!" - which 007 flick do you think is the silliest?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @007JamesBond007 I think Bond was quite inspired in this one, much more than in YOLT or LALD for example. Connery's easy going style in the film really worked IMO.
  • Just three letters: DAF.
    Jaws in Space, ie Moonraker, was a little much for me to take.
    Quoting Kerim: I believe you mean AVTAK for the snowboarding scene
    You could be right. It was still foolish.
  • Well i can see how DAD is silly, but not for the invisable car, i thought it was a clever idea, if near-impossible to actually create, but just look at the actual Invisable tanks that use that E-camoflage technology....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I was about to start a new thread, but I found this one...

IMO, the three REALLY silly Bonds are:

DAF- a poor excuse for endless puns & one-liners.
    MR- a poor excuse for a bad Star Wars film.
    DAD- a poor excuse for employing a lot of SFX guys.

And the winner is:

Moonraker. Face it, nothing beats the bad zero-G and the laser battle in space. :))
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Some scenes in YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG, Moonraker and DAD are on the top list !
    All four Brosnan movies are more unintentionally silly than Drax's space station.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think I would have to go for MR for this one.
    Chang wrote:
    All four Brosnan movies are more unintentionally silly than Drax's space station.
    You mushed be joking.
    Moonraker, of course.
    DAF, solely for the reason that it followed one of the more serious entries in the series. Plus how can you watch the moon landing simulation with Connery running by "astronauts" PRETENDING to be in zero-gravity and not go "this is a bloody farce."
    how can you watch the moon landing simulation with Connery running by "astronauts" PRETENDING to be in zero-gravity and not go "this is a bloody farce."
    You can't. But SO much about MR is just so terribly wrong without being funny... I mean laser weapons?? If they exist now, why have we never seen them in subsequent Bond movies? Imagine Craig's Bond armed with a laser PPK! Yeah, baby!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Shot once, shot twice, a hundred meter drop of a bridge, 007 dissappears and pops up very healthy a few months later and NO explanation whatsoever...............please somebody kick the scriptwriters and directors in the ..............

We are running from an allmighty villain who can do about anything, bombing an office through cyberspace, escape from prison, have preplanned bomb waiting for 007........ And we are running of to the Highlands together unplanned because it makes sense, how exactly I still do not know but some think it is cool. For me this was the proof that they should fire M and they found somebody to do it in such a way I would call him a moron too.

SF please................ They should have called for the space-marines they would even have made sense in this movie. Albeit not as cool as in MR.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Die Another Day and Moonraker for me! Inexcusable, on both accounts!
    I like DAD better than MR because while it's filled with bad CGI, an over-the-top OTT performance by Mr. Stephens, a direction-less Ms. Berry, and a [LONG SERIES OF EXPLETIVES DELETED] invisible car, the overall intent of the film remains one of adventure no matter how outlandish.

MR, on the other hand, dived into sheer spoof territory.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Man with the Golden Gun. Boy how many Blond idiot jokes can you get out of that one. Oh! Don't forget JW Pepper since EON didn't. Oh and don't the fake nipple. Hahaha! all around good time. NOT! That movie is full on spoof. ~X(
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    For me, the silliest are, in order:

MR
    TMWTGG
    DAF
    DAD

I can barely watch TMWTGG, it annoys me and the silliness ruins the film; I can watch Moonraker sometimes but fast forward it a good deal and it still contains the absolute biggest amount of pure silliness, DAF is just neon trash for much of it, and parts of DAD are good, but the stupid/silly parts do ruin the entire film (including Jinx in that).
    chrisisall wrote:

MR, on the other hand, dived into sheer spoof territory.

You know I missed the spoof territory you so clearly seem to dislike. It might be the one movie in the 007 series that has been taken the mickey taken out of it the most but it is not a spoof of anything.
    MR was decided to do when the Star Treks & Star Wars of that time showed that there was money to be made out of space adventures. Cubby made the right choice at that time to do MR. The movie rarely goes into the outragiousscifi territory and it is all played fairly straight forward about a billionaire with an obsession for space and recreating the world to his ideas, not unlike Stromberg in TSWLM.
    The science of MR was actually quite close to reality, if we have the abilities shown in MR will undoubtely be closer to the truth than we think. And the effects of MR are still standing up today as bloody good.
    The one annoying thing is the demasculation of JAWS at the end, before he was a pretty scary guy, as shown in that alley in Rio.

OTT sure, as in most 007 movies, spoof not really s the movie contains to many grim moments.

MR is silly yet fun

DAD is silly yet hateful.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Hateful is a bit strong, there, mate. The film itself is not hateful or spiteful. It is a huge mistake and awful in general.

But how the Bond fan feels? Hmmm.
    DAD makes me feel ... embarrassed, sick to my stomach at times, want to slap Jinx and punch the director ... oh yeah, well, I can see what you mean a bit. ;)
    I don't hate it, though, thanks to some good moments and Brosnan in it was fine.
    Just a silly, waste of a film.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    SaintMark wrote:
    You know I missed the spoof territory you so clearly seem to dislike.
    When an action adventure depicts things that are clearly impossible as possible, you know you're in spoof territory. The idiot invisible car isn't strictly impossible, biting through tram car cable is. Laser rifles do not exist. There are no Space Marines. MR is a hair more realistic than a Flint movie.
    I enjoy outrageous Bond (TND is in my top 5), I can deal with crappy Bond (DAD), but I draw the line at stupid Bond.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think the problem with DAD is that once you get to Iceland, not only does the film suddenly become really silly, there are still bits where it tries to take itself seriously. The worst one being Graves killing his dad. It's all dramatic (it's even in slow motion) but it's a Korean turned British guy in a robo suit that fires electricity, who's planning to use a diamond powered laser satellite to destroy South Korea. How am I supposed to take that seriously? At least MR is tongue in cheek. It's cringe worthy at times but it doesn't try to make out that it's anything more than cheesey fun. When making DAD they chucked in the silly stuff once we get to Cuba, but still try to be all serious and dramatic when it suits them.

Silliest overall is either DAD, DAF or MR.
    SaintMark wrote:
    not unlike Stromberg in TSWLM.

That's one of the reasons I rate MR lowly actually, it's too similar to TSWLM. They even bought back the same henchman. I love TSWLM but why would I want to see a retread of it, in space, with added silliness? MR has some great moments but overall I do think it's pretty poor.
    I can watch Moonraker sometimes but fast forward it a good deal and it still contains the absolute biggest amount of pure silliness,

But what kills me, it's ALMOST a great movie... when I read Christopher Wood's novelization of his screenplay, I see what it COULD have been.

Awesome miniatures, even better score, Rog in top form, and they had to go and wreck it with that dopey kid-friendly ha-ha, pew-pew Major Matt Mason crap... ~X(
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    You know I missed the spoof territory you so clearly seem to dislike.
    When an action adventure depicts things that are clearly impossible as possible, you know you're in spoof territory.

MR does contain some truthfull sequences like the Shuttle launches, which had not taken place at the moment the movie was released. And it smuggled a wee bit with the truth not unlike Silva's cyberbomb attack.
    chrisisall wrote:
    The idiot invisible car isn't strictly impossible, biting through tram car cable is. Laser rifles do not exist. There are no Space Marines. MR is a hair more realistic than a Flint movie.

The invisible car is stupid, but also harmless fun, it did not bother me so much. JAWS was always a rather impossible character but a menacing one for most of two movies.
    Okay laser rifles do not excist, quite a few 007 movies have lasers in them that are a wee bit impossible, even Connery did have one in his car.
    The space marines were the cavalary needed to help 007, why not he got help from ninja's before and a whole platoon of marines in Cuba of all palces in GE.
    The Flint movies are more a spoof as it preyed on 007 popularity.

chrisisall wrote:
    I enjoy outrageous Bond (TND is in my top 5), I can deal with crappy Bond (DAD), but I draw the line at stupid Bond..

TND is not that outrageous imho, DAD is a great actioner with a lot of fun in a way no other franchise can ever hope to get away with. And this franchise has done so a lot of times. Brosnan played his best 007 peronage in that movie.

I never found MR stupid Bond, it was more epic Bond. In SF there was a stupid Bond that made choices that were well...............stupid................even if he makes it look cool.
    In MR he dates a woman called Goodhead, now there is a potential promise which is just too good to resist. Not doing it is stupid. ;)

SaintMark wrote:
    I never found MR stupid Bond, it was more epic Bond. In SF there was a stupid Bond that made choices that were well...............stupid................even if he makes it look cool.

If I had the software, I'd do a fan edit of MR, remove about ten minutes and make it a much better movie.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

If I had the software, I'd do a fan edit of MR, remove about ten minutes and make it a much better movie.

I have always had a problem with movies edited by folks not involved in its original production, or when studios decide that they know better for example Alien3.
    That said the James Cameron extended version of his movies did make sense and even Ridley Scotts version of "Kingdom of Heaven" trumps the studio version everytime.

Fans and their cuts I steer clear of out of respect for the original makers. But I will admit that several years back I found a copy on internet of NSNA in which somebody from MI6, the site, had replaced all music in put John Barry's music and it did make the movie a lot better. Sadly I lost that copy in a computercrash and have never been able to find it again.
    ;)

But you'll never convince me about MR as it is my 1st love when it comes to the 007 franchise, and am perhaps rather stubborn in my defense of this epic, beautifull filmed and outrageous movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SaintMark, I can understand that. If I had to pick, MR is one of my least favorite Bond films, but I know what it's like to defend your favorite film if it's the one that introduced you to the series or one that you just completely fell in love with, flaws and all.
    Moonraker, A View to a Kill, and Die Another Day are the 3 silliest if you ask me; if I had to pick one it would likely be Moonraker.
  • jbohoh7jbohoh7 Jet Skiing into Atlantis
    Every Bond movie has some sort of "silliness' to them. Although there has to be some aspect of silliness, whether it be in the dialogue, characters, music etc. it gives the Bond films some uniqueness to them.

However, for me, QOS was just plain dumb(silly) from start to finish.