"Thats Just Too Much!" - which 007 flick do you think is the silliest?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I know what it's like to defend your favorite film if it's the one that introduced you to the series or one that you just completely fell in love with, flaws and all.
    I love DAF for that reason.
    But I can see where it sucks as a serious Bond movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I know what it's like to defend your favorite film if it's the one that introduced you to the series or one that you just completely fell in love with, flaws and all.
    I love DAF for that reason.
    But I can see where it sucks as a serious Bond movie.

Yeah, having said that, I can accept when something that I hold so close and dear to me may have flaws and/or issues, as well.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    1. DAD
    2. MR
    3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG
    5. AVTAK
    Kerim wrote:
    1. DAD
    2. MR
    3. DAF
    4. TMWTGG
    5. AVTAK

Yes, the Hall Of Silly shame. Still, each entertaining in their own ways.
    Mostly.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,341
    This is easy:
    MR
    DAF
    DAD
    MR just could not leave silliness alone. Even that great PTS has to end on a silly joke involving Jaws (why was he even in the sequence?).
    DAD was not too bad the first act or so, but when they get to the Ice Palace that is when the movie slips into ....

MR never takes itself too seriously same can be said for DAF but DAD ... why were they trying to take the entire film so serious? The lasers, Jinz's crappy dialogue, Brosnan's seduction of Miranda, invisible car, finally the surfing scene...THEY WERE TAKING THIS TRASH SO SERIOUSLY.
  • I'd say DAD...just noisy and the invisible car.

DAF, mainly because of how much it flipped the bird at OHMSS.

I wouldn't say AVTAK because of the good flute-busting and the rest of the soundtrack. It really feels 80's watching it compared to other Glenn films which emphasized the culture of their locations more.

TMWTGG felt like a Saturday afternoon matinee or tv movie one would watch from boredom. Really it almost killed the series. Something my favorite movie with its dramatic scenes never almost did.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    OP's got some silly moments, like the Tarzan yell, alligator sub, gorilla suit etc. It's a toss up between that and MR, although the latter is a lot more camp.

One thing from MR that never gets mentioned is when Bond is being attacked in the Bondola, an enemy boat passes Bond with a coffin on it. A guy opens the lid and proceeds to throw knives at Bond. The part that amuses me the most is that this guy has white makeup on to look dead. What purpose does this serve, other than the mortician saving a bit of time and effort preparing him for his funeral? :))
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    As a defender of AVTAK, I wouldn't say that it is silly. The scenes from the mine on are pretty serious, and so are the scenes at Zorin's estate. And there is that paranoia of espionage, such as the scenes at Zorin's oil pipeline and searching for Pegasus at the estate.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,945
    Apart from the Beach Boys theme and chase in Paris with half a car, AVTAK is pretty decent. I can overlook the lazy factory fight, and the notion of a submarine disguised as an iceberg isn't as silly as I once thought... although one must question how it's interior design could be left in the hands of 007 himself.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Birdleson wrote:
    Why does everyone seem to give OCTOPUSSY a pass? That has the Tarzan yell, the whole India street scene (bed of nails, sword swallower, tennis racket thing, etc), the gymnasts assault on the castle (probably the lamest choreographed battle in the franchise), the "sit", an extremely out of place and over used Q..and that's just what came out as I was typing.

Because other than a few moments of silliness, Octopussy is a decent Bond movie that has something for all kinds of fans.
    There are far more worse offenders in the series.
    A hollowed out volcano.
    One of Bonds arch villains resorting to dressing in drag, and Bond not seeking revenge for the murder of his wife.
    A city in space that no-one knows is there.
    Bond driving an invisible car.
    Bumping into a Louisiana Sheriff in Bangkok and have him in an AMC showroom in said city, whilst OO7 is in pursuit of a villain. How silly can you get?
    For one or two faults, OP is hardly the silliest Bond movie going.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited March 2014 Posts: 45,489
    chrisisall wrote:
    Chang wrote:
    All four Brosnan movies are more unintentionally silly than Drax's space station.
    You mushed be joking.

The key word is "unitentionally". MR was meant to be silly. It was a film made by adults for kids, whereas the Brosnan films, and especially DAD, seem like they were made by kids for adults.
    I don't see how the space station was silly. The notion of Bond going into space was, but the villain having a space station was plausible, IMO.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QBranch wrote:
    I don't see how the space station was silly. The notion of Bond going into space was, but the villain having a space station was plausible, IMO.

A space station constructed without any knowledge from anyone on earth. Plausible?
    Unless the first part of the station was the radar jamming component, then I think someone may have spotted it orbiting the earth.
    And how many shuttle missions would it have taken to construct?
    I like MR for it's brilliance and can turn a blind eye and go along for the ride. But it is OTT silly as far as you can get.

edited March 2014 Posts: 13,945
    It makes sense the radar jammer would've been the first part sent up. Who knows? Maybe he had more sophisticated technology than we're led to believe. Drax has a lot of brilliant minds working for him. Where there's a will and a fat paycheck, there's a way. But what are the chances he had informers in various governments relaying information about their radar tracking systems?
    Benny wrote:
    And how many shuttle missions would it have taken to construct?
    Yes, good point there.
    MR was meant to be silly.
    Oh, so because it INTENDED to be crap it's okay that it was crap.
    DAD INTENDED to be good, so it's NOT okay it that was crap.
    I get it now...
    chrisisall wrote:
    MR was meant to be silly.
    Oh, so because it INTENDED to be crap it's okay that it was crap.
    DAD INTENDED to be good, so it's NOT okay it that was crap.
    I get it now...

Yes, exactly. You know, like when you post here and intend it to be a silly post. Works out great, as you and I know. Then you have those who are serious about what they post, and it still turns out silly. (You know who you are. Well, probably not...) That means it is a failure at what it attempted to achieve. Not defending MR, by all means. Just bashing the Brosnan films as usual. ;)
    Not defending MR, by all means. Just bashing the Brosnan films as usual. ;)
    Oh.
    If it's intending to SEEM like crap PRETENDING to be good yet being GOOD at being crap, it's okay, UNLESS Brosnan's in it, in which case it's crap in ANY case.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    :-B
    Hmmm did not understand a word , but thank you as well. :))
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    No prob, bro.
    Communication is my speciality!
    A View to a Kill . Sir RM should have retired 2 films earlier.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I agree he was past it in this one, but in no way can I label it as one of the silliest films...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I agree he was past it in this one, but in no way can I label it as one of the silliest films...

Agreed. Moore was way too old in this, but it's still one of my favorite Bond adventures.
    Most of the James Bond releases have a significant level of silliness or humor to them, and only one or two of the titles actually try to maintain a straight face throughout, but personal preferences aside, had to choose Moonraker, Octopussy, AVTAK, Die Another Day, and to a lesser extent, Thunderball, as the main offenders

I think one mans silliness is anothers entertainment, is where the real heart of the issue lies, but have to draw a line at certain points of the series, such as the Bondola Saint Marks Square nonsense in Moonraker (double take pigeon et al) and the Jungle hunt from Octopussy. Got to include the fire truck sequence from AVTAK for good measure

Poor Fleming would of been spinning like a top..
    @Birdleson
    Don't forget the water jets from the back of the Aston Martin. spraying water on gunmen who are on foot. Why not just drive away?
    After the fight with Beauvert the jetpack and the Aston Martin caused the PTS to fall into silliness.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    After the fight with Beauvert the jetpack and the Aston Martin caused the PTS to fall into silliness.

Dude, cinematic Bond is silly. It's only the degrees that separate us as fans of Fleming.
    Birdleson wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    @Birdleson
    Don't forget the water jets from the back of the Aston Martin. spraying water on gunmen who are on foot. Why not just drive away?

Okay, but it's all PTS (and that still included one of Connery's best fights). I brought up far more things silly in OP and people seemed to think I was being harsh.

I don't think you were harsh. I liked OP but it has its silly moments, but still enjoyable.
    The scenes in the PTS of TB is the point where the series start to take gadgets to the level of silliness. It would not end with TB and we would be treated to a mishmash of silly cutesy gadgetry.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Hate to say it, because it's my favorite of the series, but the I feel that the gadgets started getting silly with GOLDFINGER.
    I agree, the "dry" wet suit, the ejector seat, the big giant laser... but I love 'em anyway.
    It was really the Moore era that took gadgets past outlandish and into silly though, IMO.
    An approximate ranking from least silly to silliest (a personal opinion):

CR
    FRWL
    QOS
    LTK
    SF
    OHMSS
    FYEO
    TLD
    DN
    TB
    GE
    GF
    TND
    TWINE
    YOLT
    OP
    LALD
    TSWLM
    AVTAK
    TMWTGG
    DAF
    DAD
    MR
    That is probably approximately correct, @PancitoPistoles.
    What I'm absolutely sure about is that MR is the silliest. Nothing beats Bond in space shooting laser guns. Compared to MR, DAD and DAF are serious, down to earth affairs.