"Thats Just Too Much!" - which 007 flick do you think is the silliest?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That is probably approximately correct, @PancitoPistoles.
    Yeah, basically I can agree too. Well done PP!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 23,561
    MR may be the silliest, in my opinion it still isn't the least enjoyable. No doubt it could have been made a 1000 times better but with that score, that amazing production design, those truly wonderful miniature effect, most of the cast and some remarkable stunts, MR is built from excellent parts. But indeed, the overall result is at best silly. Yet I can't rank it as my least favourite Bond film. I hold it in higher esteem than TWINE, TMWTGG, DAD and AVTAK.

Why MR over TWINE? Because TWINE is silly in other respects I dare say. Because it doesn't have a James Bond nearly as enjoyable as Rog in MR, or so I think. (And people know I'm not a Brosnan basher at all!) TWINE has a score that isn't even worthy of sitting in MR's shadow and while the MR climax may be out of this world, at least I understand what I'm seeing. That labyrinth of a submarine in TWINE with all its weird tubes, wires, lights and panels makes me go "huh?" and before I know it, the film's over and somehow Renard is defeated.
    You know MR could have been an entertaining film if not for the overreliance on slapstick. That great PTS. That is my all time favorite btw.
    Chang is a great henchman and the scene in the subterfuge(sp?) is one of Moore's best moments as Bond.

With tighter editing and cut 80 % of Jaws' scenes(cut Dolly out entirely) this would have been as entertaining as TSWLM.
    Moonraker appears silly in todays world but I think it was right for its time, Jaws created a whole new generation of young fans who enjoyed that clumsy villain persona. The film can be very serious and features some of the most harrowing scenes ,corrines demise, the accidental killing of Drax's scientists in Venice. Bond became unwell in the centrifuge , something that doesn't happen often . Rio has to rank as one of the most spectacular locations ever used and Bond arrives in the most beautiful way "Concorde" , just a shame it was a French one.
    MR makes NSNA look like FRWL.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:

Quite the opposite. NSNA makes MR look like GE. ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Quite the opposite. NSNA makes MR look like GE. ;)
    Hey, someone on the other site said they took "Here's to us" as a toast to Jaws' & Dolly's impending death together. I'd never thought of that. @Murdock, do you see it that way?
    That'd kind of make it all way more serious....
    @chrisisall, Yes I see it that way. I think Moonraker get's unfairly slagged for it's bad humor and space bits but There are some rather dark moments in it. Like the scientists choking to death and Jaws and Dolly's impending death. But Moonraker is one of those guilty pleasure movies. Bond does actually spying and espionage related things like in From Russia with love and there are good suspenseful. Sure the humor went a bit overboard, but fortunately it's short and doesn't stay long. I'd only change the part where Bond drives the Gondola in the Venice square, but other than that, It's a fine popcorn movie. And the space stuff holds up well. Even if you don't like the laser guns, It is still rather fun to watch for John Barry's score. I was happy to hear this song remixed for 007 Legends.
    Murdock wrote:
    other than that, It's a fine popcorn movie. And the space stuff holds up well. Even if you don't like the laser guns, It is still rather fun to watch for John Barry's score.

Okay, I'll get the DVD & give it another try. :-??
    edited March 2014 Posts: 16,331
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    other than that, It's a fine popcorn movie. And the space stuff holds up well. Even if you don't like the laser guns, It is still rather fun to watch for John Barry's score.

Okay, I'll get the DVD & give it another try. :-??

Yay that's the spirit. Just remember, watch it for the fun of the film. Not for it's bad values. I never watch a movie to hate it. I watch movies to have fun. Now if the movie is really bad then I won't touch it again, But Moonraker has charm, that's why I keep revisiting it. It just screams Watch me again. It's not a thinking person's movie. It's Rogertainment! ;) In fact I feel like watching it right now!
    Murdock wrote:
    It's Rogertainment!
    That's a great way to put it! :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    It's Rogertainment!
    That's a great way to put it! :))

Borrowed the term from this funny Blog, full of Bond reviews too. ;)
    http://theincrediblesuit.blogspot.com/
    Fire, Ice & Dynamite?? :-O
    chrisisall wrote:

You read it right. :))
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Have you seen it? The last post AVTAK Moore I saw was The Quest (not too bad IMO).
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Spice World makes Fire, Ice and Dynamite look like For Your Eyes Only.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Have you seen it? The last post AVTAK Moore I saw was The Quest (not too bad IMO).

No I haven't, though I do need to watch more Post Bond Roger and Sean movies.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moonraker and Die Another Day would be my top two choices.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 19,339
    Well both films have very very good opening 45mins and then go way down-hill,so its betwen MR and DAD for me too.
    At least DAF keeps itself in check throughout.

So i will have to say the silliest is MR...the Bondola,outer space,Jaws and Dolly and double-take pigeon sum it all up.

I mean how can have the killing by the Doberman's of Corinne Dufour,the scientists choking to death on the poison gas etc,dark moments, in the same film as the above spoofness.
    MR is the silliest, TMWTGG is the funniest and DAD is the crappiest.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    0013 wrote:

TMWTGG - funny???????

Pathetic more like ;)

Seriously some of the "comedy" in that film really makes me feel like The Hulk its so stupid.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    BAIN123 wrote:
    0013 wrote:

TMWTGG - funny???????

Pathetic more like ;)

Seriously some of the "comedy" in that film really makes me feel like The Hulk its so stupid.

I'm afraid I must concur. The "comedy" drags the film down, so there is very little to redeem this Bond flick.
    I thought that Live and Let Die was the funniest, at least legitimately. Sheriff J.W. Pepper was more likable in that one than TMWTGG. And the other humor was better I thought.
    @0013. Apologies for sounding rude. It's just that something seems to come over me whenever those scenes come on. As it is the film is already fairly unremarkable.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    TMWTGG - funny???????
    Pathetic more like ;)

Hulk_zps17f595bc.jpg
    MAN WITH GUN GOLDEN GOOD!!
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Ha. I was thinking of your references to The Hulk @chrisisall. I'm probably not far off looking that way when it comes to the likes of Mary Goodnight or Sheriff JW and his wife.

God they're awful.

I know they are MEANT to be annoying and it's MEANT to be a big joke. It's just not funny.
    I'll admit that TMWTGG has quite a few 'wince' moments, but I still get a kick out of it. I guess it's mostly a nostalgia thing.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I absolutely love Sherrif J.W. Pepper in LALD, not at all in TMWTGG.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I absolutely love Sherrif J.W. Pepper in LALD, not at all in TMWTGG.

I completely agree. "What are you, boy, some kinda doomsday machine!"
    "Hey, you're that English secret agent- from England!"