"Thats Just Too Much!" - which 007 flick do you think is the silliest?

12346»

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    chrisisall wrote:
    "Hey, you're that English secret agent- from England!"

"Secret Agent! On whose side?!"
    I'm not a massive Pepper fan but I can tolerate him in LALD.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh come on @BAIN123,
    I'm a Pepper
    He's a Pepper
    She's a Pepper
    We're a Pepper.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh come on @BAIN123,
    I'm a Pepper
    He's a Pepper
    She's a Pepper
    We're a Pepper.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?

Dr. Pepper served cold is a delight. ;)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote:
    Not too good shaken...
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Not too good shaken...

Not many sodas enjoy a good shaking, any audience usually do.

The annoying thing is that MR is very very good for the first half,with Bond doing some good spying and the conversations with Drax etc....why oh why did they have to cock it all up in the 2nd half.

One thing i've noticed is that a lot of Bond films either seem to run out of ideas or deteriorate in the 2nd half.
    I know many guys here really love that movie but I can't stand OHMSS.
    James Bond in a kilt?! Come on! And that sentence "Call me Hilly!" And these silly "Bondgirls" in Blofeld's facility... I could write down many other things I don't like at this movie..
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    There's several genuinely great aspects about MR, but as a whole the naff silly moments really do damage the film. Moore I find annoying in it some of the time and Louis Chiles is pretty unconvincing as a secret agent. I think the films biggest problem though is that it feels it's aimed primerally at schoolboys.
    James Bond in a kilt?! Come on! And that sentence "Call me Hilly!" And these silly "Bondgirls" in Blofeld's facility... I could write down many other things I don't like at this movie..

Well the Angels of Death were in the original novel. Bond in a kilt is silly but worse than unconvincingly disguised as a fisherman?
    As disguises go you have to give the top prize to that bloody 'Japanese makeover' in YOLT...what a waste of time that was !!

At least when Bond was dressed as a clown in OP it was for an urgent reason .
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 19,339
    DOUBLE POST
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well the Angels of Death were in the original novel. Bond in a kilt is silly but worse than unconvincingly disguised as a fisherman?
    Yes I know I read the novel. But I didn't mean all the "Angels of Death" but I meant the two girls named Ruby and Nancy...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2014 Posts: 12,459

Ah at last, I have someone who dislikes this film, too. Thank you! :)>- It is quite low on my list. I found Tracy to be great, some scenery nice, but most of the film so awful. :-& I couldn't stand the "angels of death" or well, really anybody except Diana Rigg as Tracy. People can name bits that are from the novel. I don't care if it was in the novel - looking at this film version, I find it quite unenjoyable.

Silliest film for me is still Moonraker. Jaws in love, Dolly, the pigeon, and most of all the godawful Bondola - ugh! Shudder! It is by far the silliest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Man With The Golden Gun. Oh where to begin? Well. Goodnight is the worst thing ever in that movie. So irritating I want to punch a hole through my TV screen. Then you got the stupid Kung Fu Fight and the Return of J.W. Pepper. Fight scenes with no setup. Bond checks out Syida then gets jumped for no reason. This film is a terrible sloppy mess. The fact TSWLM was ever made after this is amazing because this turd could have easily killed the franchise for good. Not even Christopher Lee could save it. Really? Goodnight doesn't know she pushed a button with her butt? Ugh so much stupidity!!!!
    Murdock wrote:
    The Man With The Golden Gun. Oh where to begin? Well. Goodnight is the worst thing ever in that movie. So irritating I want to punch a hole through my TV screen. Then you got the stupid Kung Fu Fight and the Return of J.W. Pepper. Fight scenes with no setup. Bond checks out Syida then gets jumped for no reason. This film is a terrible sloppy mess. The fact TSWLM was ever made after this is amazing because this turd could have easily killed the franchise for good. Not even Christopher Lee could save it. Really? Goodnight doesn't know she pushed a button with her butt? Ugh so much stupidity!!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Makes Madonna look pretty mild in comparison. An annoying, unfunny, stupid, smackable character.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Makes Madonna look pretty mild in comparison. An annoying, unfunny, stupid, smackable character.

Hell I'd rather listen to and watch Die Another Day over that garbage. Jinx might have dumb lines, but she doesn't make me want to go on a rampage.
    Hmm...Jinx and Goodnight are the joint worst Bond girls IMO. Both are horribly irritating but in different ways.
    Yeah they are bottom of the barrel Bond girls, but I still find Jinx bearable.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I'd like to throw my lot in with all this TMWTGG bashing. The middle third, of the film, resembles a slapstick comedy. An unfunny one at that. Pepper, Kung Fu, and the character of Goodnight....

At least MR and DAF had some charm about them, but with GG....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Make that four. Although it is not my least favourite, the humour, Kung fu, loss of focus for the plot and Goodnight really drag the film down.
    Diamonds are Forever (amid a number of other worthy contenders) would appear to take it

From the opening where Connery searches for Blofeld to the entire plot involving making a laser from diamonds, not to mention a total disregard to what occured in OHMSS and Bond losing his wife, it all amounts to a rather infantile and embarrassing experience

Could feasibly be here for hours and elaborate on how silly and absurd this one release is, but time won't permit it. In any event, is has to be the #1 contender for this here debate
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TMWTGG is pretty awful, especially silly, yes.
    @Baltimore_007 It helps if you watch DAF after YOLT. somehow it makes better sense.
    I think in terms of individual "shots" there are two I can think of:

Moore inside the crocodile (OP)
    Toby Stephens turning around in THAT suit.
    Front-runners are Diamonds Are Forever, Octopussy, Moonraker, and Die Another Day for me. I don't include Live and Let Die or Man with the Golden Gun just because they have enough serious moments to keep them separated from the aforementioned 4. On my rankings, in preference, its 1. DAF 2. OP 3. DAD 4. MR. Each has a few good merits, but they're still near the bottom of my list.
    I'm not sure OP would be among the silliest,it does have a lot of serious moments in it compared to the others .
    True OP does have some very good moments, but it also does have some VERY silly ones. I think the tennis references when Bond is fighting those goons are pretty cringe worthy.
    I love the way the cyclist goes between the tuk-tuks,even more so when i found out that he was not part of the film and just came out of nowhere.I'm glad they left it in the film.