No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Can someone enlighten me about the news from Gary Barber?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Can someone enlighten me about the news from Gary Barber?

MGM shareholders call it was confirmed Bond 25 was in development.

Well at least this is 'something' !!!
  • Can someone enlighten me about the news from Gary Barber?

MGM shareholders call it was confirmed Bond 25 was in development.

That means......the first initial brainstorm sessions about possible stories......and a first story treatment within 4 months.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It means water is wet.
    It means water is wet.

But my martini is still dry.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It means water is wet.

Hahaha brilliant.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It means water is wet.

now you have put me on the rocks :P
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,091
    Unforunately I don't think they will be targeting 2018 anymore. Like Gustav said, it will probably be months before they have anything resembling a beginnings of a script. If Daniel and Barbara are as tired as they say, then I doubt they would throw themselves straight into another Bond adventure straight after all this stage work. People forget that everyones schedule was clear last time, that isn't the case now.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Barbara and Daniel are not tired. That's a metaphoric speech. The distribution deal is the thing that's holding them back... And if it's Gary Barber's aim to release the film via MGM, it's going to take some time. 2018 is out of the question.
  • It means water is wet.

That really means......the first initial brainstorm sessions about possible stories are taking place......and a first story treatment will probably be written within 6 months.

That doesn't mean that a screenplay will be finished during that period. That won't be finished before the end of 2017 I think.

But people need to stop whining that EON Productions and MGM aren't doing shit. Pre-production usually takes place before it's even announced officially. That includes scouting (remember when ass. directors already started filming Palio footage in the summer of 2007 for QOS. There wasn't even an official announcement yet, nor was there a finished story treatment. Just ideas on a paper).

Some Bond fans could do with a bit more patience. Instead of mocking the very producers who create Bond films. I have that patience. And I wish both Barbara and Michael lots of lucks with some of their other projects. The big question is: Do you have that patience?
    Barbara and Daniel are not tired. That's a metaphoric speech. The distribution deal is the thing that's holding them back... And if it's Gary Barber's aim to release the film via MGM, it's going to take some time. 2018 is out of the question.

We haven't been updated about distribution in months, heck nearly a year. We have to expect that they have at least made some progress on that front, hopefully...
  • Again, like I said: PATIENCE! It's considered a virtue sometimes. Although as of late, considering geopolitical circumstances and social media craziness, 'patience' seems to be dying out quite fast.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    That's what I gather as well.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Y'all are over thinking this. There is the original timeline which "updated" itself as the actors got younger. That's the Tracy/post Tracy timeline. They never rebooted Bond until CR ...that's the Craig timeline.

You can divide into periods however you see fit. I kind of lump Brosnan and Craig as the modern Bonds since there's a noticeable break in style and some continuity from the original series.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    @mcdonbb and others, please move the timeline discussion for the thread @barryt007 created.

We haven't been updated about distribution in months, heck nearly a year. We have to expect that they have at least made some progress on that front, hopefully...
    It's not like there isn't any progress, though. I mean, behind closed doors, they might be a lot more advanced and are building strategies on every possible scenario. They're definitely not resting on a lounger and holding margaritas in their hands while sunbathing. :))
    edited November 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Wilson said it would be dealt with by February 2016, so something went wrong on MGM's side.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Wilson said it would be dealt with by February 2016, so something went wrong on MGM's side.
    It's only four months till February 2017. ;)
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,091

Exactly. People are jumping up and down talking about having more patience, but when MGW set a deliberate deadline that expired 9 months ago, and when Daniel himself said "I need 6 months off" back in November 2015, I think we're right to start and ask questions. Clearly they aren't "on course" if its taken over 12 months from the release of SPECTRE to announce that development on Bond 25 has begun. People have a right to be nervous, any Bond fan should be.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Exactly. People are jumping up and down talking about having more patience, but when MGW set a deliberate deadline that expired 9 months ago, and when Daniel himself said "I need 6 months off" back in November 2015, I think we're right to start and ask questions. Clearly they aren't "on course" if its taken over 12 months from the release of SPECTRE to announce that development on Bond 25 has begun. People have a right to be nervous, any Bond fan should be.

Agreed.
    MGM want to distribute it themselves, at the moment that's not viable. No negotiations for a new distributor have taken place.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Not a hard deal to do though. 'Licence to print money'.
    I hope Sony is shelved from consideration.
    Warner Brothers or Universal would be the ideal ones to come in..if only !
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I don't think either are up for it... Well, Universal won't do it I gather due to their hold of the rival spy franchise that is Jason Bourne. Besides, MGM sued them a couple of years ago due to a script that almost went into production.
    Good point...I forgot about bloody Bourne.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Yea, and the Time Warner merger kind of puts WB on hold or out of the picture for now.
    Maybe if Ben Hur didn't flop this summer MGM would be in a better position to distribute the next Bond film. I'm still not sure how MGM distibuting themselves would speed things up?