No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I believe we will see more of a return to tradition. More of a GE to follow the Dalton'eque run (on steroids) that Craig has had. I realize this may upset some people.

I would really like that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I personally don't think the franchise is in a 'dark period', but I most certainly would like a shake up (in nearly every dept including cast).

I was a big proponent of the new direction post-CR. It was a shot in the arm. However, like all good things, I believe it has run its course.

Life is all about changes and renewals, and the time is ripe (imho) for that with the Bond franchise. Either it will come with B25 as I hope, or shortly thereafter with B26.

Agreed. Changes need to be applied but in some cases, particularly where it's crucial, EoN are seriously dropping the ball. They're haemorrhaging talent and potential.

I'm not interested in reading about SP making 800 million and having to compete with other spy films when there are different studios churning out numerous animated movies in a year either making close to or crossing the $Billion mark. Heck, the BO will sort itself just so long as the quality of the film is there.
    If Bourne didn't come along when he did I'm pretty sure we would have gotten a 5th Brosnan film where it's more of the same nonsense DAD gave us; afterall, it was a critical and BO hit at the time.

Some people need to understand that just because a company is operating it doesn't mean they're always doing a good job. I think many of us here have contributed valid and sound ideas in the direction the films should take in order to see improvements. Some studios have adopted the approach that many people would regard as common sense and surprise-surprise theyre doing exceptionally well. That being said, I really can't get over how much of a disappointment SP is; not because it's terribly made but because the potential was horrendously squandered, the script was just awful and there was an embarassingly large amount of mismanagement during preproduction. I'm still in shock the "Brofeld" rubbish made it past the script's QC.

Anyway, yes, Bond needs fundamental changing in key areas; the script department first and foremost and EoN really need to be more stringent with their responsibilities as producers; bring in NEW talent with a fresh perspective of creativity and let's get this show on the road.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    God I hope that never happens! I dont want Bond on TV! Its the one movie series I always love the build up to and the premiere of on the big screen! I hope it continues for many years to come!

I do too Mathis, I love the build up to every Bond film. However, I often wonder, where else can EoN take Bond? They've had over half a century on the big screen, six different actors, a hard re-boot, and now what? Some people say another re-boot, soft or hard, is in order; others say a return to the tradition (then what was the point of the re-boot, and wasn't that formula getting dated and stale?).

Once again, the gatekeepers at EoN know what they're doing, and I find that constantly beating their competition is an amazing feat, but I can't help but wonder where they will go next creatively? Backwards to a more traditional, lighter Bond? A re-boot/return to yesterday, of sorts?

The only radical place I think they can go, my theory only, by the way, is resigning the big screen Bond with Craig and re-creating the books in a Netflicks series. Twelve episodes each. Released all at the same time.

I'm not saying this is where I want them to go (although, I'd be all in), and I would miss the cinematic Bond very much, I'm just theorizing on a possible avenue for Bond 25 and the future.

And no, I don't think this will ever happen. Just playing outside of the box of re-cast/re-boot/return to traditional Bond (whatever that may mean now (personally I'm a Young fan and find DC's films have come closest to mirroring them while being fresh at the same time (warts and all, in some cases)).
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Would love EOn to start doing period Bonds. TV is the obvious medium for this.

The film series is rather tired. As much as I feel obliged to attend each new premier, it seems less and less often that I actually enjoy the films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    When they rebooted in 2006, they never claimed that formula would never return to the franchise. They made it clear that they needed to put aside the cliches, but that didn't mean we would never again see a Bond film in the traditional mold. They just had to find a way for it to work in the modern era. CR was a good start. Too good, in fact, that they felt the need to follow it up with a rushed sequel that broke away even further from tradition. SPECTRE was a much better effort, but ultimately it was aiming more in the footsteps of OHMSS than a lighter, more laidback entry. And all the talk of survelliance just got in the way of the fun, even if the idea itself showed promise. If they want to make a Bond film in the manner that we all know and love then they have to resist the urge to make it a love story, a film about trust, or an exploration of Bonds past. There's no need to overcomplicate things when I think most people are just looking for a lean, mean back of basics outing.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    then they have to resist the urge to make it a love story, a film about trust, or an exploration of Bonds past. There's no need to overcomplicate things when I think most people are just looking for a lean, mean back of basics outing.
    I don't think Craig is the right actor then anymore. Craig's Bond is one I am more interested in story-wise than the actual plot ... vice versa with the past entries since we did not learn that much about the main character. It makes quite a difference.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    If they want to make a Bond film in the manner that we all know and love then they have to resist the urge to make it a love story, a film about trust, or an exploration of Bonds past. There's no need to overcomplicate things when I think most people are just looking for a lean, mean back of basics outing.
    I completely agree, and I think this is more a Babs and Craig thing. Babs tried this already with TWINE and failed (at least imho) and Craig doesn't seem to like the philandering ways of Bond all that much, at least based on his remarks to the press. On this I disagree with him. I remain hopeful that Bond will return to his libertine ways once a new actor is cast.

Here is an excerpt of some comments from an Esquire interview:

The actor told Esquire magazine he does not want his Bond to be “as sexist and misogynistic” as previous ­incarnations.
    If they want to make a Bond film in the manner that we all know and love then they have to resist the urge to make it a love story, a film about trust, or an exploration of Bonds past. There's no need to overcomplicate things when I think most people are just looking for a lean, mean back of basics outing.
    I completely agree, and I think this is more a Babs and Craig thing. Babs tried this already with TWINE and failed (at least imho) and Craig doesn't seem to like the philandering ways of Bond all that much, at least based on his remarks to the press. On this I disagree with him. I remain hopeful that Bond will return to his libertine ways once a new actor is cast.

The actor told Esquire magazine he does not want his Bond to be “as sexist and misogynistic” as previous ­incarnations.

Ironic then that SF features one of the creepiest scenes with Bond slipping into Severine's shower
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Getafix wrote: »

Ironic then that SF features one of the creepiest scenes with Bond slipping into Severine's shower
    Please.

True, that scene did seem a little off. I felt the same way about the Lucia seduction in SP. Both just came across as forced to my eyes, rather than smooth and natural. As if they had to put it in because it's a James Bond film, but nobody was really invested in it.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well I suppose that "in development" is a start...
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Well I suppose that "in development" is a start...

Oct/Nov 2019.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In development...hell?

True, that scene did seem a little off. I felt the same way about the Lucia seduction in SP. Both just came across as forced to my eyes, rather than smooth and natural. As if they had to put it in because it's a James Bond film, but nobody was really invested in it.

They should have watched Connery in TB when he's about to enter the steamroller with Pat abd when he finds Fiona in his bath tub. That's how you do smooth and natural. In any case, Craig and any actor taking on the role of Bond need to keep their personal opinions away from the character himself. Bond is somewhat misogynistic and sexist but it's a role, a character. Nobody expects the actors to be that way for real.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Misogynistic is a man who hates women. Bond doesn't hate women. But, thinking he's better than any woman as a human being, that might be the case, which is chauvinist. Sorry, but I had the feel to point that out.
    That quote apparently came from Craig, so perhaps he misunderstands the character.
    Society misuses that word. Literally.
    So did M (in GE).
    Agreed. No argument on the sexism, though.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    misogynistic means sexist towards women, anti-women and/or woman-hating.

I think the term is coherent with the whole dialogue between M and Bond in GE.

It may be debated on how to interpret the term concerning the character of James Bond, but it's certainly not far off, if you think of his behaviour towards women.

About SP and SF.
    The scene with Severine is just wrong. Maybe it's bad directing, editing, dialogue whatever, but it's annoying to the max and should never have happened that way.
    The scene with Bellucci has similar problems. Although at least there you can argue that Bellucci isn't the weak, insecure, afraid woman that Severine certainly is.
    So I think if she would feel Bond is forcing him upon her she would have just stopped it.

But one thing is certain. Craigbond does the same things to women all his predecessors have.
    How on Earth Craig made that statement in the Esquire magazine is beyond me, but then, Craig is known to just utter stupidity by the minute.
    Misogynist
    a person who hates, dislikes, or mistreats women.

Chauvinist
    a person who believes one gender is superior to the other.

Bond, at least the original, is the latter.

Exactly.

And yet when there is a girl who would probably really welcome a bit of lovin', like Camille, Bond just dumps her at the station and drives off. What a joker.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Craigbond's character from CR to SP is a bloody mess anyway. The worst written Bond ever.
    Craigbond's character from CR to SP is a bloody mess anyway. The worst written Bond ever.

Which is why we need a new Bond for Bond 25.
    And that ain't Turner.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think the title of the thread needs to be "nothing new" until something actually happens.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,425

Not worst ever. Someone else wins that gong.

The writing really hasn't been great though.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,756

Wow. I completely disagree. I love the way his Bond is. At least, in theory. Especially like the fact he's more of a silent man, resonates with me more. However I'm probably in the minority on this.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Wow. I completely disagree. I love the way his Bond is. At least, in theory. Especially like the fact he's more of a silent man, resonates with me more. However I'm probably in the minority on this.
    Your not. I think that's the general consensus on here (it used to be anyway).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hyperbole alert. :))