Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Everything Or Nothing
    Following a discussion with @ClarkDevlin, I developed a craving to revisit some of my favourite games of the PS2 era. To be honest, it had been so long since I used my PS2, that I didn't know if it still worked. I hit the power button, and the ol' girl whirred into life. The first game that I wanted to revisit was the last great Bond game, Everything Or Nothing. I had expected the game to look as rough as a badgers you know what. But it has aged really well for a game that is a surprising 12 year old (where'd the time go?). The gameplay was just as smooth, and took no time at all the get reacquainted with. How could it have gone all so wrong for Bond games. From this, to 007 Legends, via a switch in developer.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @MajorDSmythe, I certainly know where you're coming from. :D

You know where your next step should lead to? Try playing those games on PC with a PS2 Emulator and enhance the textures and graphics... You'll be left in an awe with how detailed the character models are... Especially Everything or Nothing.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    As i'm not much of a PC gamer, emulating looks complicated to me. I have only 3 pc games: Nightfire, No One Lives Forever 2 and Murder On The Orient Express, and I don't play them anywhere near as much as I do console games.
    @MajorDSmythe, it was complicated for me too at first. A lot. But, the final experience is worth it. Just look at this HD graphics, and enhanced textures. :D

rUjRiqi.png
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My God, that's beautiful.
    I know the feeling, my friend! I certainly do! :D
    I must admit, that looks more like Brosnan, than Brosnan does.
    They used to be called... electronic arts. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, what does QoS's PS2 version look like emulated on PC?

I wish that game was popular enough to get a remaster, but all anyone remembers is the PS3/Xbox 360 version of QoS that was garbage in comparison.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there they are. Picked a few so you'd see how it looks like.
    gckOzxW.png
    QU1KihZ.png
    DNzVw9A.png

I most definitely agree that the PS3/XB360/PC/Wii version was garbage. Run and gun. Nothing else. And pretty much one way corridor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, it's a real shame that Activision seemed to give its developer less resources on the PS2 version than the PS3 and Xbox 360 one, because with some more polish in graphics and controls, it could only improve. The game is still vivid in my mind and I played it constantly back in the day.

The only other game to match it since is Blood Stone, and we got cheated out of a sequel for that too, the cliffhanger be damned. Such a shame too.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The PS2 was the Golden Age of Bond games, to be sure.
    @Agent007391, it's crazy that with all the next gen tech we've got now and all the capabilities of games in this current time, we've yet to get a Bond game for these new systems, not to mention one that is actually worth playing.
    I hold Activision at fault. Whatever they've done, they destroyed the reputation of the Bond gaming license. The thing is, many of the mechanics from the PS2 version of QoS appeared in Blood Stone. QoS was developed by the same people who did The World Is Not Enough on Nintendo 64 and Nightfire on PS2/Xbox/GC. Whatever happened to those guys? They got canned after 007 Legends bombed.

And agreed with @Agent007391. The PS2 was the golden age of the Bond games.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Played some FRWL recently. I still haven't unlocked all of the bonus levels, but I just finished the Ruins level. Has anyone else experienced bad frame rate drops and loss of sound effects in this level (in on the PS2 version, if that matters).

@ClarkDevlin Craig looks a bit concerned about something all the time in QoS PS2, doesn't he?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    It works perfectly fine on mine, @BMW_with_missiles.

And yes, he does look concerned. :D
    I'mma havta replay that mission to see if I have those problems, but I'll have to unlock it again. I recently deleted my FRWL save because I wanted to go through the game fresh yet again, but haven't done so. I don't recall loss of sound effects, but I remember frame rate drops.

@ClarkDevlin, can we see some FRWL emulated?
    Sure thing, @Agent007391! :D

8vMBnnN.png
    fpZdn6M.png
    cWoQM6E.png
    1wyA6RS.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Picked up the 'Bioshock Collection' for the PS4, since I love the first and never played the other two. Got the Platinum Trophy yesterday for it, and I managed to forget just how great this game was. Looking forward to trying out the sequel at some point soon.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,107
    Deus Ex - Mankind Divided newest game I've played.

And gearing up for Mafia III, I started to replay the last one a couple of days ago. I can see they're doing something different with the next one.

Mafia and Mafia 2 are like good well made genre movies. Once Upon a time in America / The Godfather and The Goodfellas.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was looking forward to 'Mafia 3,' but a lot of the gameplay videos I've seen over the last week make it look too generic and repetitive for my tastes. 'Mankind Divided' did look really good, though.
    Good God, somebody would be printing themselves money if they'd just release an HD compilation of the PS2 Bond games...
    Good God, somebody would be printing themselves money if they'd just release an HD compilation of the PS2 Bond games...
    They would. But, then again, we were supposed to have GoldenEye 007 on XBLA...
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,000

@ClarkDevlin Hmm...I wonder if there's an issue with my PS2. Whenever I play Agent Under Fire, I'm very lucky if it decides to load the level with the BMW Z8. Most of the time it just freezes. Anybody else had this?

@ClarkDevlin Hmm...I wonder if there's an issue with my PS2. Whenever I play Agent Under Fire, I'm very lucky if it decides to load the level with the BMW Z8. Most of the time it just freezes. Anybody else had this?
    The first rail shooting level in AUF has a variety of suffering when it tries to render. The same thing happens on the PS2 emulator of mine. Oddly enough, the same level works perfectly fine on GameCube.

The first rail shooting level in AUF has a variety of suffering when it tries to render. The same thing happens on the PS2 emulator of mine. Oddly enough, the same level works perfectly fine on GameCube.

Weird. It's actually not the rail shooting level that's the problem though. It's the level right after when you're chasing after the truck with the vials, and you stop it with an EMP.
    That one... Also works... perfectly fine...

I just had my inner Number Two let out to Dr. Evil. :))
    I've had a weird glitch where Agent Under Fire refuses to go past the initial loading screen if you have a save older than a year old. Even screwed around with the internal clock on the PS2 to prove it. A save older than a year old, and it freezes the game. No save or less than a year old, works just fine.
    That is true. That happened with me on PS2 a lot.
  • I plugged in the ol' Xbox and played a round of Agent Under Fire. Holy crap the controls took me some getting used to, after years of PS3 & PS4!! I must have died 10 times trying to switch from gadgets to guns!
    I'm sure with a bit of practice I could get good again. Between that, NightFire, EON & even Bloodstone, we're far overdue for a stand-alone Bond game! You're right @ClarkDevlin, this was a great time!