No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Exactly, @talos7. I appreciate every Bond (ok except Laz). I don't look at it as competition. I am thankful the series continues and new Bonds bring something new and fresh each time.

Why do you have to bash Laz everytime? Some people on here hold him in very high regard. I find your comment very offensive.

Only joking!

About being offended, I mean.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
    :) Love to you too, Getafix. See you on the Brosnan threads. ;)

And actually I wrote what is true for me. I do value all the Bond actors very much except him.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what the source of the next rumor will be. So far we've had a bookie and a member of reddit driving the worldwide discussion regarding the next Bond.

As with the others, I don't think there's anything really to see here. First and foremost, Fassbender will be too old to take on the part if and when EON gets around to making the next one. Starting in your 40s would be fine if this was back in the day when they were able to get these films made in less than four years, but we're in a different time now. Fassbender would only get to make three films before we'd have to start this whole process all over again.

I firmly believe they'd rather have a great actor play Bond for 3 films, if age was an issue, than have a younger actor who can't measure up to Craig but may (if the audience takes to him) last in the role longer. Eon will be far more focused on casting a strong actor than worrying if he'll make 3 or 4 films due to age. After all, they would have Craig for Bond 25 in a heartbeat even though he'll be 50 by then.

Personally, with the 3-4 year gap between films, I don't think we'll ever see an actor play Bond more than 4 times now, 5 at a push.

Agreed. I may be wrong but it seems to me that all on the back burner right now anyway.
    Interesting comments re Fassbender and his great acting ability. Now, IF we want to return to the old style Bond with no back stories and no tears etc, its an interesting question that do we need someone with great acting ability? surely we want someone who can nail the traditional Bond and thats it, I am not convinced that it requires massive flexibility or experience with Shakespeare etc,
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Fassbender would be the closest to Flemings Bond yet.

I believe he'd make a fine Bond, I'd have to see him in the role to agree that he'd be closest to Fleming's Bond. Right now I'd give that to early Moore (not the scripts, necessarily, but his interpretation of the character in those first two).

I am thinking of his looks. Dark hair, blue eyes, cruel mouth, athletic build. I am sure he can pull off the rest as well given the right script.
  • RC7RC7
    Laz is well overrated and Brosnan underrated.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »
    Laz is well overrated and Brosnan underrated.
    Yep!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You mean "-1 to all Bond actors, except for Brosnan, as he's my favorite,' right?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Is that your dislike of Brosnan diminishing by 2 points?
    Yes. It was all just a psy-op.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Brosnan is underrated, but Laz is far from overrated. He's right where he's at, if you ask me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Laz gets a lot of love, but people tend to forget that he had a tremendous film and costars to work with, and Barry's best score anchoring the whole thing. If you had put him in something like DAF, I don't think he could have owned it like the great one did (even in his later fat years).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @RC7 - very true.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's a good point @Birdleson. These are all opinions after all, and you know what they say about those.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2016 Posts: 1,756
    Only on the forums is Brosnan underrated.
    To be clear on what I mean, a lot of people liking something that you don't like doesn't necessarily (or likely) mean that it's overrated. It means they like it and you don't.

Well said.

Now how about that George? How underrated isn t he?
    On here no one is underrated or overrated. They all have their strong contingent of detractors (except for early Sean, I've never seen anyone question those performances), and proponents. Those terms seem to be thrown around a lot.

Outside of fandom no one even gives two figs about Lazenby and Dalton except as punchlines.
    To be clear on what I mean, a lot of people liking something that you don't like doesn't necessarily (or likely) mean that it's overrated. It means they like it and you don't.

Yes. I hate those terms in general. In my view they are used so much, because people rather say somebody or something is underrated or overrated when they disagree with others in order to give their opinion more "objective" weight and value; their opinion seemingly becomes a more general statement and sounds fancier than just saying they disagree with others - which makes their opinion sound just theirs (which it is anyway, of course, no matter how it's expressed).
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Laz gets a lot of love, but people tend to forget that he had a tremendous film and costars to work with, and Barry's best score anchoring the whole thing. If you had put him in something like DAF, I don't think he could have owned it like the great one did (even in his later fat years).

I totally agree, hence why I feel Laz is overrated (on here).
    On here no one is underrated or overrated. They all have their strong contingent of detractors (except for early Sean, I've never seen anyone question those performances), and proponents. Those terms seem to be thrown around a lot.

Outside of fandom no one even gives two figs about Lazenby and Dalton except as punchlines.

I disagree. I feel like Laz gets a disproportionate amount of kudos and is cut a hell of a lot of slack. He tends to get a free pass because his film is a classic.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    patb wrote: »
    Interesting comments re Fassbender and his great acting ability. Now, IF we want to return to the old style Bond with no back stories and no tears etc, its an interesting question that do we need someone with great acting ability? surely we want someone who can nail the traditional Bond and thats it, I am not convinced that it requires massive flexibility or experience with Shakespeare etc,

Yes, Fassbender in the role would most likely mean doing something different than traditional Bond. Wasn't there an article containing an interview with Fassbender linked somewhere in this thread? I swear that he said that he wanted to do a film with flashbacks to a younger Bond. If that's the case, I can't say I'd be thrilled to see them go in that direction.
    Connery as the younger Bond.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    pachazo wrote: »

Yes, Fassbender in the role would most likely mean doing something different than traditional Bond. Wasn't there an article containing an interview with Fassbender linked somewhere in this thread? I swear that he said that he wanted to do a film with flashbacks to a younger Bond. If that's the case, I can't say I'd be thrilled to see them go in that direction.

No, he said he wanted to go to Bond's roots as military personnel, which sounds pretty interesting if you ask me.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The point is that Lazenby suited the film as a person, not as an actor. He had a very natural "soft" side, almost puppy-like, and at the same time he was a very headstrong person.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

No, he said he wanted to go to Bond's roots as military personnel, which sounds pretty interesting if you ask me.

Okay, that's right. I looked up the exact quote - "To be honest with you, I think they should reboot the James Bond series and go back to his origins as a soldier. I’ve got a great idea for it actually, so Barbara Broccoli (007 producer), talk to me!"

Not that they'd necessarily go with his vision. However, if we're going back to Bond's roots, wouldn't this require a young actor?
  • RC7RC7
    The point is that Lazenby suited the film as a person, not as an actor. He had a very natural "soft" side, almost puppy-like, and at the same time he was a very headstrong person.

I agree. He's still massively overrated on here imo.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Okay, that's right. I looked up the exact quote - "To be honest with you, I think they should reboot the James Bond series and go back to his origins as a soldier. I’ve got a great idea for it actually, so Barbara Broccoli (007 producer), talk to me!"

Don't bother Babs.

Bond was never a soldier, he was in the navy. Do your reasearch.

It's a shit idea anyway. If we set the film when Bond is in the forces he's not secret agent James Bond 007. He's just a bloke on a boat turning the wheel hard a starboard when the captain tells him to.

But no doubt P&W would think showing teen Bond meeting Franz in the Alps for the first time in flashback would be a rip snorting way to build up to their final confrontation in B25.
    RC7 wrote: »

I agree. He's still massively overrated on here imo.

Overrated? Schmoverrated!

The guy just walked in off the street and blagged the biggest role in cinema. Absolute f**king legend.

And I don't believe any of the other actors could've sold the fear and vulnerability in the cliff top scene and waiting for Tracy on the ice better than Laz did.
    I'd be more than thrilled if BOND 25 has absolutely nothing to do with Bond's past.
  • RC7RC7

Overrated? Schmoverrated!

The guy just walked in off the street and blagged the biggest role in cinema. Absolute f**king legend.

And I don't believe any of the other actors could've sold the fear and vulnerability in the cliff top scene and waiting for Tracy on the ice better than Laz did.

Again, I don't disagree. But for every serendipitous moment of vulnerability you have an absolute clunker, like the moment Savalas acts him off the screen when he exposes the 'Hilly' ruse. I don't deny he was an absolute bad ass in the way he got gig, or even that he wasn't good, he definitely landed on his feet with the story they wanted to tell, but next to the rest his actual input, outside of simply turning up and accidentally getting it right here and there, is pretty poor. To listen to some people on here you'd think he was seminal. Yeah he could throw a punch, he looked good strolling around with his mouth closed and he did the rabbit in the headlights particularly well, when it was called for, but in terms of presence and charisma Brosnan makes him look like Daniel Radcliffe imo.
    And now this is a Brosnan vs Lazenby thread. terrific.

IMO, Lazenby makes Brosnan look like Brosnan. If you know what I mean.