Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

A classic! We named our black cat after Westley!
    Shaun of the Dead and Brazil these films seem more relevant now than they ever did, especially the latter.
    LOVE AT FIRST BITE
    In honor of George Hamilton's birthday I popped in the blu-ray of this 1979 classic.
    1979-great year for Dracula fans. In addition to this spoof of the genre, we got the Frank Langella version and the Werner Hertzog remake of NOSFERATU.
    Hamilton romanticizes the Count in traditional Lugosi costuming and tackles the Big Apple in search of his soul mate Susan Saint James. Although dated and low budget, it holds up well as a nostalgia piece. George looks great in the black cape complete with white satin lining and the Lugosi style stand up collar. I'm still waiting for the long postponed sequel.........................
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Titan: AE so much fun. It has the Joss Whedon touch.
    The Force Awakens Daisy Ridly is the best thing about this film, it's still floating around number 5 spot. Just watched the film with 7.1 sound which blew my mind with certain sequences. I don't mind this film, though it is a facsimile.
    The Force Awakens Daisy Ridly is the best thing about this film, it's still floating around number 5 spot. Just watched the film with 7.1 sound which blew my mind with certain sequences. I don't mind this film, though it is a facsimile.

It's stuck at #5 in my list. I do actually enjoy the film plenty, but I really love all the originals plus Revenge of the Sith. Still, 7 is far ahead of phantom and clones.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Killing Joke Second viewing this has some brilliant moments, the end gets more chilling the more I watch it...
    Batman's smirk and laugh very sinister great voice work by Conroy.

@fire_and_ice, I just picked up a reprinted Deluxe edition of The Killing Joke with completely recolored pages by Bolland, and I can't wait to re-read a true comic classic.

I'll then have to give the animation a rewatch, minus the prologue.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,189
    The BFG (2016)

Always loved the story growing up (as well as Dahl in general) and thought this was an excellent adaptation. Charming, funny and (thankfully) not overly Americanised.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Another work of art.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    FoxRox wrote: »

It's stuck at #5 in my list. I do actually enjoy the film plenty, but I really love all the originals plus Revenge of the Sith. Still, 7 is far ahead of phantom and clones.

It's always been below the original trilogy and ROTS for me, I like the film it's diminished slightly since the nostalgia wore off. I struggle with the second act now, it only really picks up again shortly before the death scene.

Empire...
    A New Hope.
    Jedi.
    Sith.
    Awakens.
    Clones.
    Menace.

Arguably Menace is the best made film of the prequels, though I feel the other two films have better moments.
    The Killing Joke Second viewing this has some brilliant moments, the end gets more chilling the more I watch it...
    Batman's smirk and laugh very sinister great voice work by Conroy.

@fire_and_ice, I just picked up a reprinted Deluxe edition of The Killing Joke with completely recolored pages by Bolland, and I can't wait to re-read a true comic classic.

I'll then have to give the animation a rewatch, minus the prologue.

I bet the artwork looks fantastic, I will have to have a look on Amazon. Agreed I understand why the prologue is there though for hard core fans it's not needed. A saving grace is they let the ending breathe before the unnecessary Epilogue.

This. Pure genius.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    wow, nice little film, @Thunderfinger. thanks for the link!
    Godfrey Reggio and Philip Glass-one of the great movie pairings.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Jean De Florette & Manon De Sources 1986

A set of films I have for sometime now wanted to see and sometime back purchased the Region A Blu ray set of both films. Last night with my Wife, Mother In-law and Sister In-law got to view both of these much loved French classics.

It doesn't immediately grab you but I found myself some hours after and still find myself meditating over things. Bruno Nuytten cinematography is exquisite and director Claude Berri coaxes great performances from his cast and both films have aged considerably well.

Veteran French actor Yves Montand's Cesar Soubeyran the main character of the overall story is on superb form. A young Gerard Depardieu, Daniel Auteui offer great support as well as Emmanuel Beart in the sequel.

It's hard not to think of those famous Stella Artois commercials from the late 80's that these two films were the obvious influence for. Particularly Verdi's La Forza Del Destino (Excerpt) which is utilised as both films theme. British duo Anthea Benton and Vaughan Arnell also lifted the very same piece to accompany their "reassuringly expensive" series of adverts for the popular Belgium beer.

Of both films I think Manon De Sources the most satisfying of the two and marginally better. Jean De Florette sets up the events that lead to the second part and what looks to be playing out as a simple tale of retribution reveals itself to be something much more bitter-sweet and poignant by the closing moments.

4/5
    Both terrific films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I bet the artwork looks fantastic, I will have to have a look on Amazon. Agreed I understand why the prologue is there though for hard core fans it's not needed. A saving grace is they let the ending breathe before the unnecessary Epilogue.

@fire_and_ice, the colors are great. It's as close as a classically produced comic (with ink and graphite) can get to art, worthy of a museum. Then you've got the work of Alex Ross, who just takes it to a whole new level with his unmatched process. I recently ordered a collection of stories all written by Paul Dini and drawn/painted by Ross featuring a wide range of characters from Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel clear to the many JLA members down the line. They look to be powerful and emotional stories, and Ross's work grounds the heroes so well, and the photorealism almost allows you to envision what it would be like for metahumans to exist on our planet.

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Super-Heroes-Paul-Dini/dp/1401202551/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471186130&sr=8-1&keywords=alex+ross+The+World's+Greatest+Superheroes

Back to The Killing Joke, I can't fathom why, if the team had to force a prologue onto the project, it couldn't have involved Joker so that it at least felt like those two sections were actually connected. It's just so hard to see the first half and second half as part of the same film.

I would have loved to see DC say, "Okay, folks, we know you've wanted The Killing Joke for a while, and we're going to do that story and that story alone in a short 40 minutes, and use the more sensible and less ambitious scale and focus of the story to really hone our animation and evoke Bolland as much as we can given the story's brief nature."

All I really wanted to see was more interesting animation, with a greater use of color in a Bolland-esque style than the grim greens, grays and shades of black that DC used in its place. They obviously couldn't fully ape Bolland's hyper detailed style, but by playing with color, their were other ways to visually recall the book beyond just making sure Batman's cowl matched the comic.

And I love Bruce Timm, he's one of my favorite Batman creators and a massive artistic inspiration for me, but he's got to cool it with this fetish he has for Barbara and Batman always hooking up. We get it in Batman Beyond, then the Mystery of the Batwoman animated film, then the Batman Beyond tie-in comics (where Barbara miscarries Bruce's child at a very young age!) and now this. Save all that garbage for the slash fiction, Bruce. You're not helping us or yourself here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Lobster'

Odd yet grounded, and very enjoyable. I love a good dystopian movie such as this, and it most certainly delivered. Loved the cast, was nice to see Madeleine Swann and Q in this together.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Lobster'

Odd yet grounded, and very enjoyable. I love a good dystopian movie such as this, and it most certainly delivered. Loved the cast, was nice to see Madeleine Swann and Q in this together.

@Creasy47 my Wife and I caught this Friday night as well, definitely is an individual film, the cinematography was stunning and the performances if a little off kilter suited the proceedings.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop North Yorkshire
    edited August 2016 Posts: 281
    Just seen this is now on Netflix( the lobster) The wife and I will be seeing this soon.
    Tonight I watched "the tourist" with Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie and a small appearance with our very own Timothy Dalton, I simply love this film, it's hugely enjoyable. And for some reason I found myself wondering why Paul bettany who also stars has never been a bond contender?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Princess Bride (1987). It's pretty cheesy (I think intentionally), but still entertaining.

One of the best films ever...beautifully written....
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Chriscoop wrote: »
    Tonight I watched "the tourist" with Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie and a small appearance with our very own Timothy Dalton, I simply love this film, it's hugely enjoyable. And for some reason I found myself wondering why Paul bettany who also stars has never been a bond contender?
    To me that film was some sort of a Bond film with a little bit of The Saint in it. And by the way, we have another Bond alumni in that film, who's none other than Steven Berkoff, otherwise known as General Orlov.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,151
    A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) - an easy go to movie when I can't think of anything else to watch. The scene that shows the killing of Tina still gives me chills to this day. A movie that never needed a remake.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 5,812
    "Gamera Vs. Guiron"

Yes, I was in the mood for the old flame breathing giant turtle again. And seeing Gamera do some horizontal bar was both timely (what with the Olympics going on) and worth putting the DVD in the player. But I won't consider this a good movie, except perhaps for kiddies. And even if the adults in this movie were pretty much useless, I can understand them. Come on, if a kid told you a story like that, would you believe it ? But this makes their realization that it might be true hit much harder near the end of the movie. And brain-eating aliens ? Brrrr !

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Captain America: The First Avenger - C4, so stupid ad breaks, but on the whole I really enjoyed this, better than I was expecting. Oh, and I think I'm in love with Haley Atwell :x
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I think I'm in love with Haley Atwell :x
    You're not alone, old boy. You're not alone.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I think I'm in love with Haley Atwell :x
    You're not alone, old boy. You're not alone.

Ah, a man of taste…
    She is rather special ;)
    AN INSPECTOR CALLS

British drama set in 1912 that deals with guilt. It was rather good, and rather unpleasant.
    Suicide Squad. Margot Robbie rocks ! As for the movie, I liked it. I think it will be vindicated by cable. But judging from the low attendance today (a bank holiday here in france), I doubt we'll see a "Suicide Squad 2" anytime soon. I also think that the movie really hit its stride with the bar scene (even if the fight that preceded it was pretty much badass). And Viola Davis is the closer I've seen an actress channel the portrayal of "The Wall" created by John Ostrander. So all in all, more positive than negative, I guess.