Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Tuulia, happy to hear you liked 'Milk'. I haven't seen it in years, but I loved it.
    @Creasy, the premise sounded kinda boring to me, but it was well made and interesting, and the cast was good. (I don't know if Penn deserved his Oscar or not as I've only seen one other nominated performance in the category, but he was certainly better than Pitt as Benjamin Button, imo. - Umm, yes, yet to see The Wrestler, I've been meaning to...)
    The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996). Very funny; Jeff Bridges was hilarious.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I loved both KOYAANISQATSI (1982) and the follow-up POWAQQATSI(1988). Both greatly benefit from a large movie theatre screen.

I am sure. I own both, so Powaqqatsi is up for a viewing soon. Really glad someone took the time to make something like this. It s unlike anything, and 100 years from now I am sure it will be seen as one of the great classic masterpieces of its time.

TRAINING DAY

Just wanted to kill a couple of hours, but this was a lot better than expected. Ethan Hawke and Denzel Washington as a rookie nark and his corrupt training officer.
    One of many good scenes. This was written by David Ayer, by the way.
    TRAINING DAY
    I swear I was pulling my hair out near the end when
    he's at the table and he just hands those crazy guys his gun!!!!

I think the whole world unanimously facapalmed!!

jtfp.gif
    Yeah, me too.

SUICIDE SQUAD

Great film. Boring finale.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    MI GHOST PROTOCOL

I am one of those who actually love all the MI films, yes I love MI:2, it's my favourite, ha!

Ghost Protocol is a fun ride and has some iconic action scenes that are in no way less exciting than the stuff Cruise dished us up in MI:1 to 3

So I like No 4 a lot. Needless to say that in retrospect to see Simon Pegg in a very big role with a lot of screen time helps the movie a lot.

Sure, he was already a cult movie star thanks to one of the greatest films ever made Shaun Of The Dead, but now that he is Scotty since 3 movies to see him in MI is even more fun.

Also of note:

LEA SEYDOUX plays an assassin in MI:GP !
    I totally forgot that.

So she was in MI first !! And only became a Bond girl after that.

Really, Simon Pegg has to be in a Bond movie at one point. He could play Tanner!!
    I'd say Q as well, probably that would be even better but WHISHAW is too bloody perfect in the role, so, sorry Mr. Pegg.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,158
    Man From U.N.C.L.E

Don't know what the consensus is on this, but I kinda like it. It's stylish!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just did a double bill of...

The A Team (2010) and The Expendables 2 (2012).

What a way to spend an evening. Stallone, Statham, Schwarzie, Willis, Van Damme and Neeson being total badasses, killing tons of people while wise cracking jokes every 30 seconds. The 'flying tank' scene in 'A Team' still knocks my pants down everytime. And I have a very soft spot for the absolutely insane climax in 'Expendables 2' with the main guys machine gunning an entire army of bad goons while joking about their respective filmographies.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Just did a double bill of...

The A Team (2010) and The Expendables 2 (2012).

What a way to spend an evening. Stallone, Statham, Schwarzie, Willis, Van Damme and Neeson being total badasses, killing tons of people while wise cracking jokes every 30 seconds. The 'flying tank' scene in 'A Team' still knocks my pants down everytime. And I have a very soft spot for the absolutely insane climax in 'Expendables 2' with the main guys machine gunning an entire army of bad goons while joking about their respective filmographies.

That sounds so great I will do this too soon.
    Those two movies seem to be made for a double bill...but I never thought of it :)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Conversation (1974). My favorite Coppola film after The Godfather 1 and 2. Extremely good.

I'd also place APOCALYPSE NOW above it, but it is a great film. Those other three are in my all-time Top Five. The only other Coppala film I feel great affinity for is PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.
    I haven't seen it yet but I will, but I love the Barry score. :)
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    The Killing Joke has arrived along with Joker figure, almost forgot I ordered it its had mixed reviews hope I like it.

Edited: Wow loved it once it got to the original material, Hamill is the Joker chilling and the ending in any medium is epic!
    My opinion on the end is I agree with Grant Morrison, that Batman kills the Joker.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Fast_and_the_furious_poster.jpg

The Fast and the Furious- 2001

I think I may be one of the last guys left in the world who still hasn't seen any of these. I merely assumed that they were movies meant for guys who loved fast cars and not much more.
    Not entirely true! I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'm anxious to see the rest now that I know who the players are!

That's not to mention of course that this movie is one hundred percent a 2000's remake of Point Break! This movie literally has the same plot!!
    Of course, I love Point Break, so it's forgiven. ;)

I have to say, there's a scene when Vin Diesel talks about his dad dying, and it is eerily similar to what happened to Paul Walker. @-)

So I'll be checking out #2 as soon as I'm able! Let's hear your rankings! I understand they're up to SEVEN of these now?

@Master_Dahark I casually watched F&F until part seven got me into them, franchise savior The Rock elevated the series, 5, 6 and 7 are great fun.
    The Killing Joke has arrived along with Joker figure, almost forgot I ordered it its had mixed reviews hope I like it.

Edited: Wow loved it once it got to the original material, Hamill is the Joker chilling and the ending in any medium is epic!
    My opinion on the end is I agree with Grant Morrison, that Batman kills the Joker.

Glad to see someone else enjoyed it. Just having a faithful adaptation of the amazing Killing Joke story on screen was amazing for me - with Conroy and Hamill, the definitive voices of Batman and Joker IMO.

Glad to see someone else enjoyed it. Just having a faithful adaptation of the amazing Killing Joke story on screen was amazing for me - with Conroy and Hamill, the definitive voices of Batman and Joker IMO.

There were some great easter eggs I noticed also
    On Bat computer homage to Nicholsons Joker for example.
    Initially had mixed feelings about the prologue though gave the film some context to viewers who may not be aware of Barbara back story.
    Bruce and Barabara getting intimate did not bother me, though would have worked equally as well if they were not.
    Hamill is such a great voice actor, they should have a voice actor category at the Oscars he would win hands down.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Master_Dahark, I think you'll dig the films, especially from Fast & Furious and beyond, as the later movies really evolve the characters, give continuity to the series and ramp up the action to eleven. Before you move on to the second film, you can watch this short film to find out what Brian was doing post- Fast 1:

And when you're done with 2 Fast 2 Furious, this other short film acts as a prelude to Fast & Furious:

As you go through the films, remember that Tokyo Drift is actually meant to take place between the end of 6 and the start of 7, so after you watch 2 Fast 2 Furious, jump right to Fast & Furious instead. All the rest of the movies besides Tokyo Drift are in the proper chronology, so you needn't worry about watching them out of order beyond that.

The chronology looks like this:

The Fast and the Furious/Turbo-Charged Prelude to 2 Fast 2 Furious/2 Fast 2 Furious/Fast & Furious/Fast Five/Fast & Furious 6/The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift/Furious 7

My rankings for the franchise would look something like this:

1.) Fast & Furious 6
    2.) Fast Five
    3.) Fast & Furious
    4.) Furious 7
    5.) The Fast and the Furious
    6.) 2 Fast 2 Furious
    7.) The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Stand By Me (DVD) still a brilliant film, one of the best adaptations of Stephen King's work. If you don't like this film then there's no hope for you.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,026
    Fast_and_the_furious_poster.jpg

The Fast and the Furious- 2001

So I'll be checking out #2 as soon as I'm able! Let's hear your rankings! I understand they're up to SEVEN of these now?

These movies began as pure action movies on a relatively small budget, and they were 'brain in neutral' fun. There is then a lot of talk about "family", and it is easy to scoff at this.

But in Furious 7 they actually had to deal with a lead character leaving the series in the most trying circumstances and what they came up with was extremely touching. Really deftly handled.
    After Hours (1985). One of my favorite comedy films, and my second favorite Martin Scorsese film just behind Taxi Driver. If you're seeking bizarre, dark humor, this is the one for you.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,009
    Stand By Me (DVD) still a brilliant film, one of the best adaptations of Stephen King's work. If you don't like this film then there's no hope for you.

It is a great film. I find it interesting that some of the best King adaptations are his non-horror material. with Shawshank Redemtion, Green Mile and Misery being among the best.

After Hours (1985). One of my favorite comedy films, and my second favorite Martin Scorsese film just behind Taxi Driver. If you're seeking bizarre, dark humor, this is the one for you.

After Hours is a interesting movie with Griffine Dunne who was equally good in American Werewolf in London, it's a film I should revisit been along time since I watched it.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
    After hating Man of Steel, I gotta say, I really liked BVS. It wasn't great, but I liked it. I think it was trying to be Watchmen with DC characters but I dug it. It wasn't bad. Didn't care for Lex Luthor though. He was just a joker clone. All in all I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. And It was nice to hear a modern Hans Zimmer score that wasn't boring or bland.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    talos7 wrote: »

It is a great film. I find it interesting that some of the best King adaptations are his non-horror material. with Shawshank Redemtion, Green Mile and Misery being among the best.

Agree. Have all of those and enjoy watching and re-watching them. In the horror stakes you still can't beat de Palma's Carrie, superb.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 thank you very much for laying that out for me! That's very helpful!! Otherwise I may have watched them in order.
    I remember seeing the trailer for Tokyo Drift, and although I hadn't seen the movies yet I noticed none of the original characters returning (but it did have the kid from Slingblade, all grown up!) and I thought to myself, 'well, that's the end of this series.'

Looks like I was waaaaay wrong!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,692
    Jason Bourne (2016)

Waited 9 years for this. And it did not disappoint. Wall-to-wall action from start to finish, the film just hops from location to location, set-piece to set-piece while delivering thrilling action with a totally badass Matt Damon. Top marks from the final chase in Las Vegas and the chase in Athens. Tommy Lee Jones delivers another of his legendary performances. I also really liked Vincent Cassel, even if a bit under-developed as a character, he was very much chilling as the CIA's Asset.

I'm loving all these action films from 2016 so far - London Has Fallen, Criminal, Hardcore Henry, 13 Hours, Bastille Day, and now Jason Bourne.

My next stops in the action department will be 'Star Trek Beyond', 'Train To Busan', 'Blood Father' and 'Mechanic Resurrection'.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,158
    I saw the original Thomas Crown Affair last night. I must say, very disappointed!

I prefer the remake if I'm honest.