Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I love all the Dirty Harry films. SUDDEN IMPACT I find the grittiest. I got the 5 film box set for my birthday this year and watched a couple. I may pop in THE DEAD POOL soon. Been ages since I've seen it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Last time I've seen The Dead Pool was either five or six years ago.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For those who have seen Magnum Force, just a quick question:

Would you join the rogue cops or stick to Harry's principles?
    Only when it's about removing the crimelords that are getting away with their crimes. But, as Harry pointed out, it eventually is going to level with the ground where it would be a punishment when your dog takes a dump on your neighbour's lawn, which would be idiotic. So, the rogue cops are at best vigilantes. You're always going to be on the run once you take that step. So, no. I'll stay with Harry.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    No I'd go with the Rogue cops ....
    " Tough on crime, Tough on the causes of Crime !" :D
    Well, if I were to be a vigilante, I'd be Batman...

OOPS!

I already said too much!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    " ... In all the excitement was it five shots or six ?"
    " That's a Smith and wesson, and you've had your six !"
    " ... In all the excitement was it five shots or six ?"
    " That's a Smith and wesson, and you've had your six !"
    Perfect! :D
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, I haven't played the Reservoir Dogs game. How'd they make a game out of such a linear, straight forward film as that, by the way? Is it just 6 hours of Mr. Orange walking around the warehouse? ;)
    About to watch There Will Be Blood (2007). Big expectations.
    There is no talking for the first 20 min, so its' open season on the popcorn crunchy candies go wild.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    For those who have seen Magnum Force, just a quick question:

Would you join the rogue cops or stick to Harry's principles?

That's one of the reasons I like that movie. It's interesting when you think of Harry as having the principles, and normally he is the rule breaker.

Anyway I'd stick with Harry, he'll get you safely to the end of the movie.
    @ClarkDevlin, I haven't played the Reservoir Dogs game. How'd they make a game out of such a linear, straight forward film as that, by the way? Is it just 6 hours of Mr. Orange walking around the warehouse? ;)
    or Mr. Blond torturing the cop for 6 hours... Something that was cut from the film due to domestic violence and MPAA ratings. ;)
  • Bourne Supremacy - shaky cam not as bad as i remember but it still gets on my nerves.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    or Mr. Blond torturing the cop for 6 hours... Something that was cut from the film due to domestic violence and MPAA ratings. ;)

@ClarkDevlin, a third of the game surrounds a quest Mr. Blonde has to complete. He must patrol the blocks surrounding the warehouse, beat up any cops he sees, then drag them back to the warehouse to torture them. The quest ends when he subdues 5 cops, brings them back to the base and collects 10 of their ears.
    Thought There Will Be Blood was excellent. DDL of course gives an outstanding performance, but I thought the whole cast did a great job. A classic story of a character's tragic, moral downfall.
    Fast and Furious was playing on TV must confess was not entirely sure which entry it was in the series, took me a while to figure out which many of the films appear identical.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Fast and Furious was playing on TV must confess was not entirely sure which entry it was in the series, took me a while to figure out which many of the films appear identical.

@fire_and_ice, it's the 4th film made in the franchise, but third in chronology, as Tokyo Drift occurs between the end of 6 and start of 7.

@fire_and_ice, it's the 4th film made in the franchise, but third in chronology, as Tokyo Drift occurs between the end of 6 and start of 7.

I only own part 7 though Fast5 I have probably watched the most, maybe only seen the 4th film once previously cheers.

I only own part 7 though Fast5 I have probably watched the most, maybe only seen the 4th film once previously cheers.

These films seem to get a lot of hate, but I love them. A surprising amount of heart and some of the best cinematic stunt work we've ever seen. Very underrated.

5 and 6 are a riot; probably my favorite two of the lot, and they make a great double bill. The finale of 6 is one of the coolest sequences I've seen shot on film.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 6,432
    7 surprised me certainly how well they handled Paul Walkers death, ill admit my eyes welled up. Afterwards I rented 6 which was really good, I am reluctant to buy the box set with at least another 3 films due over the next few years.

Phantom Menace I really do watch this film a lot, it is Star Wars I suppose... This film did disappoint initially no doubt about that, though over the years I have grown to like it. Truth is the prequels are insane films and entertaining, only George Lucas could make films like this.
    The Conversation (1974). My favorite Coppola film after The Godfather 1 and 2. Extremely good.
    No one a fan of Jack ;))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Conversation (1974). My favorite Coppola film after The Godfather 1 and 2. Extremely good.

I'd also place APOCALYPSE NOW above it, but it is a great film. Those other three are in my all-time Top Five. The only other Coppala film I feel great affinity for is PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.

In addition to the amazing 70s run, my soft spot goes to The Rainmaker. Love that film.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Directors Cut)
    This was a feast for the eyes on Blu ray. Oh my gosh. It was stunning. Very good film. It's the best of the Original Series movies IMO.
    Murdock wrote: »
    This was a feast for the eyes on Blu ray. Oh my gosh. It was stunning. Very good film. It's the best of the Original Series movies IMO.
    Its amazing mate the best the film has ever looked, I am happy just watching the beauty shots of the Enterprise on the BD menu. ;)) The remind me to explain the human ego comment by Spock and then the camera pans in on Kirk is epic! Did you watch the Montalban tribute?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    Its amazing mate the best the film has ever looked, I am happy just watching the beauty shots of the Enterprise on the BD menu. ;)) The remind me to explain the human ego comment by Spock and then the camera pans in on Kirk is epic! Did you watch the Montalban tribute?

It sure is, Even those red uniforms I'm not a big fan of looked fantastic on BD. I also watched the tribute, It was great. All the space effects were fantastic. This movie was made for the super HD treatment. :-bd
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2016 Posts: 8,158
    Ever since I saw Mission Impossible 3 in the cinema 10 years ago, I have been blown away by film. IMO, this is the OHMSS of this franchise.

(I cannot wait for episode 6!)

BTW, did anyone notice the subtle Bond reference at the start of this film? At the engagement party Ethan is talking to someone about his job when he offers to get him another drink: "Vodka Martini?"

Cruise you sneaky devil!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 2,081
    At least I think I haven't reported on having watched these, yet...

All_That_Jazz.jpg

All That Jazz (1979)
    The 1980 Palme d'Or winner. It took me a while to get into this, but once I did, I enjoyed it (though the final scene went on too long). A partly autobiographical story about a director, dancer, choreographer (played by Roy Scheider) trying to simultaneously finish a movie and stage a musical, his personal relationships and health suffering badly in the process. Jessica Lange plays some sot of an angel of death.

Shampoo (1975)
    Warren Beatty, Julie Christie and Goldie Hawn. Absolutely terrible.

The End Of The Affair (1999)
    A re-watch. Now I get why I remembered that one scene - it's repeated several times. Ralph Fiennes and Julianne Moore as lovers, Stephen Rea as husband. Good.

Milk (2008)
    For some reason I didn't really expect to like this, but I did.

The Patriot (2000)
    I had been thinking of re-watching this for ages. The reason it took years was that I remember not thinking much of it when I saw it. The reason I wanted to was Heath Ledger - I had no idea who he was when I first saw this, and had not seen him in anything else, and didn't remember what he did here.
    The movie was... very much Mel Gibson, even though he didn't direct it. In other words not for me, ugh.
    (OT regarding the movie, but I just happened to read a long and quite fascinating 5-year old article about Gibson a couple of days after watching this. It was very informative, and nicely balanced, but I remain confused about the guy. I'm not convinced he's a terrible human being like some claim, but I can also see why he's been an outcast for so long, having given reasons to be accused of so many things reasonable people find despicable. An interesting case. And interesting to see how his new movies will be received, and him with them...)

Tammy (2014)
    I found out probably last year that Melissa McCarthy is a big star in the US. I'm sure there's some reason for it. She was okay here I suppose. Susan Sarandon plays her grandmother behaving badly. She's better. The movie on the whole is pretty bad.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    An interesting black and white Stanley Kubrick movie with political satire and black comedy, which I enjoyed a lot. Peter Sellers has a triple role.

220px-Dr._Strangelove_poster.jpg