BULLET TO THE HEAD

Nice going, Oddjob.

Isn't that Scaramanga's spin-off film?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    BULLET TO THE HEAD

Nice going, Oddjob.

Isn't that Scaramanga's spin-off film?

That s the one. With Sylvester Stallone as the most badass character he ever played. Directed by Walter Hill.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @FoxRox, love The Rainmaker. What are your feelings on Apocalypse Now?

Coppola is far and away one of the biggest reasons why film in the 70s was earth shatteringly amazing. So many hits in just one decade.

I hate to admit it, but I wasn't a huge Apocalypse Now fan. I only saw the Redux version though, so thoughts on the shorter one might be different. I mean I appreciated it, and Brando in his scenes was simply unbelievable, but it just wasn't my cup of tea overall. Still, I consider it good. Just not a favorite, but I might try the other version sometime.

I'm not a fan of the Redux version, @FoxRox , I find it drags.

The original theatrical version is the proper version as far as I'm concerned.

Have you seen the documentary about the film, Hearts of Darkness? One of the best movie docs you'll ever see.

Haven't seen that documentary, but I imagine it's very interesting, since I've heard it was a rough process to make the film. I will have to check out the original then; hope I like it!

@FoxRox, I love that doc almost as much as the film itself. You get a window into Coppola's mindset throughout filming, and the many times he was tempted to commit suicide from all the stress piling on. There's a famous picture out there of him on set, holding a revolver to his temple, his expression just black and miserable. It was such a crazy production, it's amazing the film came out as strong as it did.
    Alright I'm just now starting the shorter, theatrical Apocalypse Now (1979). We'll see how much it changes. The opening is great...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Alright I'm just now starting the shorter, theatrical Apocalypse Now (1979). We'll see how much it changes. The opening is great...

The opening is a real alcoholic Martin Sheen really out of his mind, really punching a glass mirror and slicing up his hand. So, yeah. Turns out Coppola wasn't the only one the filming of this movie almost broke.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 12,304
    Finished the theatrical Apocalypse Now (1979). Wow. It really felt like a totally different film than the Redux edition. And I mean that in the best possible way.

This theatrical cut of the film, to me, is how it should be. The pacing was so much better; the film flowed so much more smoothly, without feeling incomplete. Each presents an utterly nightmarish vision of war and violence (maybe moreso than any other war film I've seen), but I didn't feel like I missed anything without the added scenes of the Redux version. I just remember it feeling too slow and too long in places, whereas that was rarely a problem in the theatrical version. The only added scene I enjoyed that I can remember specifically was when Kurtz visits Willard at one point during the daytime, but I can understand why it was cut. Kurtz's character is purposefully placed in the shadows in every other part of the movie. I just enjoyed having another scene of Brando's excellent, excellent performance.

Anyways, yeah, I VASTLY prefer the theatrical version. Not even close. I should have done more research before diving in with the Redux version first. In my opinion, what was released in theaters originally is the definitive version. An incredibly dark and serious film of epic proportions, exquisitely crafted. I'm excited to see that documentary about the film.
    @FoxRox, it's far and away my favorite war film. So atmospheric, haunting, mysterious, almost otherworldly, and perfectly portrays the jingoistic American flavor and just how out of our depth we were on our gun toting cause against the North Vietnamese.

I need to give it another watch again soon. It's a favorite of mine, probably in my top 10 of all time, and I think it's objectively one of the finest of cinema.

Do check out the documentary; it'll blow your mind. It'll make you respect Coppola even more, if only because he managed to survive it all.
    @FoxRox, it's far and away my favorite war film. So atmospheric, haunting, mysterious, almost otherworldly, and perfectly portrays the jingoistic American flavor and just how out of our depth we were on our gun toting cause against the North Vietnamese.

I need to give it another watch again soon. It's a favorite of mine, probably in my top 10 of all time, and I think it's objectively one of the finest of cinema.

Do check out the documentary; it'll blow your mind. It'll make you respect Coppola even more, if only because he managed to survive it all.

I have to ask; which version do you prefer? Because watching the theatrical one was a totally different and better experience for me.
    @FoxRox, I watched both back to back many years back, then watched one of those versions more consistently, but I'm foggy on the major differences between them. I think I watched the original theatrical more, as it was more tight and better paced.

I know the Redux added a scene with Duvall's character getting his equipment taken or something to that effect, as well as with Sheen's character spending time with the Vietnamese people while going up river. Other than that, I can't remember the Redux enough to have an opinion on it.

The choices of what I remember being added for the Redux did feel weird to me, and from memory none of it really felt like it was important enough to warrant an inclusion, nor did it help flesh things out that much more. Still, more Apocalypse Now is always good.
    Birdleson wrote: »

On of my Top Five films. I cared far less for the Redux edition. Though some of the additional scenes were strong unto themselves, they all threw off the pacing and turned the film clunky. I watched that version once upon rerelease, but since went back to solely watching the original cut. As also evidenced when THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER PART II were edited together with additional footage and shown as THE GODFATHER SAGA, Coppola works better when tightly edited and pared down.

This is true. I also cared far less for the added footage in Godfather 1 (didn't see the second one's added footage). Top 5 - that's very impressive. I have to say at this point, between the Godfather Trilogy, The Conversation, The Rainmaker, and Apocalypse Now, Coppola is a Top 10 director for me.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The cow killing makes it unwatchable for me, as does the pig killing in Southern Comfort. Two good films ruined by *real* violence. Just my opinion though...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The cow killing makes it unwatchable for me, as does the pig killing in Southern Comfort. Two good films ruined by *real* violence. Just my opinion though...

That is one complaint I share; I do wish they hadn't included it. I realize the cow was to be executed regardless, but I wish it was excluded as well.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    To ME, films create a reality. Actual sex or actual killing bring an end to the narrative for me.
    And used effectively to compare and contrast to Sheen's character's own sacrifice at the end,
    of Kurtz in much the same way.

The killing never bothered me at all, as I saw its purpose. It wasn't just put in randomly or to sensationalize things. Its visceral, tribal nature grounded the world Coppola crafted and those who followed Kurtz. And you could take the cow sacrifice as a greater commentary on what the military had done to young men across America during the war: lined them up for slaughter in a fight with an enemy whose nature they weren't fully aware of.
    I definitely fall somewhere in the middle. It didn't ruin the film or anything to me, but it was unpleasant to watch.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Finished the theatrical Apocalypse Now (1979). Wow. It really felt like a totally different film than the Redux edition. And I mean that in the best possible way.

This theatrical cut of the film, to me, is how it should be. The pacing was so much better; the film flowed so much more smoothly, without feeling incomplete. Each presents an utterly nightmarish vision of war and violence (maybe moreso than any other war film I've seen), but I didn't feel like I missed anything without the added scenes of the Redux version. I just remember it feeling too slow and too long in places, whereas that was rarely a problem in the theatrical version. The only added scene I enjoyed that I can remember specifically was when Kurtz visits Willard at one point during the daytime, but I can understand why it was cut. Kurtz's character is purposefully placed in the shadows in every other part of the movie. I just enjoyed having another scene of Brando's excellent, excellent performance.

Anyways, yeah, I VASTLY prefer the theatrical version. Not even close. I should have done more research before diving in with the Redux version first. In my opinion, what was released in theaters originally is the definitive version. An incredibly dark and serious film of epic proportions, exquisitely crafted. I'm excited to see that documentary about the film.

Glad you liked it @FoxRox

I don't think I even bothered watching Redux to the end it was that tedious and pretentious.

You will enjoy the Hearts of Darkness documentary now you've seen the original film. Some great footage and stories. But be warned there is a brief scene of animal cruelty in some Vietnamese ritual which I found sickening.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Apocalypse Now also has one of the finest movie posters of all time.
    Agreed about the poster! Stunning! They just don't do posters like that anymore! Its a crying shame most Bond posters have been poor of late! The last great one was TLD! Though CR first teaser poster is on my wall! A classic pose
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Suicide Squad (2016)

In my top 5 of 2016 so far for me, and my #1 superhero film of 2016 (way ahead of BvS, Deadpool, Civil War and Apocalypse). A superhero film on steroids mixed with 10 cups of very strong coffee. The soundtrack is insane, and the action & humour non-stop for 2 hours. I don't know if the characters respect the comics but they were total badasses here and had very good chemistry.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Great to hear that @DaltonCraig007. I think you're the first member to see it, and given how it has been savaged by the critics, I hope I too can find it enjoyable. I'm hoping to see it this weekend.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames it's basically DAD meets The Raid meets The Dirty Dozen. The entire plot could fit in a 140-character tweet, but the fun, humour and action is non stop for 2 hours. Will Smith hasn't been this badass since his Bad Boys days. Margot Robbie is an absolute riot, Jai Courtney finally proves he can be a cool guy. Insane soundtrack too, within the opening 5 minutes you can hear song from Eagles and The Rolling Stones.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That's great news @DaltonCraig007. All I was hoping for was some style, pace and that it was fun. You've confirmed that it has all of all that, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
    @bondjames however there is not enough of Leto as Joker for him to make a firm impression. He's a bit like Brosnan in 'No Escape' - just shows up from time to time. Margot Robbie made a far bigger impression and stole the show, as expected.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    bondjames wrote: »
    Great to hear that @DaltonCraig007. I think you're the first member to see it, and given how it has been savaged by the critics, I hope I too can find it enjoyable. I'm hoping to see it this weekend.

Empire magazine gave it a good review and 4 stars...!
    @bondjames however there is not enough of Leto as Joker for him to make a firm impression. He's a bit like Brosnan in 'No Escape' - just shows up from time to time. Margot Robbie made a far bigger impression and stole the show, as expected.

On the set, Leto is said to have been "in character" all the time, also while not filming. The other actors were apparently scared of him.
    @Thunderfinger I think the problem is Leto has no 'proper' intro in the film, he just pops up without warning.

On the set, Leto is said to have been "in character" all the time, also while not filming. The other actors were apparently scared of him.

Who is actually saying that, especially that other actors were apparently (?) scared of him? I find it a bit hard to believe, though not entirely impossible. It just sounds like some urban legend more than fact, so is there proof? I'm even suspicious of claims of actors presumably being in character all the time - it seems to rarely actually be the case, but I don't know if Leto actually does that - and especially to what extent. There are also common misconceptions about what "being in character" even is. (Keeping the accent and stuff is not the same as being in character.)

I read it on a Norwegian news website, who mentioned E-Online as one of their sorces. When I say apparently, it is because I never fully trust those sites to come up with accurate information.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 40,629
    Nice to see they spent months and months hyping up the pimp/thug version of Joker, just for him to hardly appear, and not only that, but to not make a significant impression. Personally, I wasn't happy with his take on the character from the get go.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,696
    @Creasy47 if you want the real killer aspect of 'Suicide Squad' is that, IMO, Jai Courtney was more awesome than Leto's Joker. Apart from Will Smith and Margot Robbie, it was Courtney who got the most laughs in my showing.