Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,423
    bondsum wrote: »
    No offence, @ClarkDevlin, but you didn't mention or acknowledge his musical supervisor at all, which was the reason why I brought it up. Most people here believe Tarantino chooses all the music himself for his movies. I'm just pointing out a colleague, not so much an underling, who has contributed greatly to his soundtracks and song choices, that's all.
    Taking it too seriously, old chum. ;)

Like all the members of the crew, Mary Ramos is part of them, and the top stairstep is occupied by Tarantino who ultimately gets the final say in creativity. The man comes up with the primary concept, the underlings as I call them, which is no way meant to be an insult... alright, I'll change it with lieutenants... improve and extend the page for him into a thick book. Surely Tarantino hasn't done this all alone. Otherwise, he'd be the doppelganger of the godawful director that is Robert Rodriguez, who tries to be a 10-year-old Sergio Leone wannabe on steroids.
    Jason Bourne.

Enjoyed it but still think the original is the best of the lot. Great to see Tommy Lee Jones as always.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Murdock wrote: »
    @fire_and_ice, Oh yes, It's one of Horner's finest and one of my favorites of his. :)

@Lancaster007, While I do think TSFS is a much better movie than TFF, I still enjoy that film as well. It is badly flawed yes, but there are great moments in it to appreciate as well.

Yes, there are some great bits, but taken as a whole…
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Jason Bourne.

Enjoyed it but still think the original is the best of the lot. Great to see Tommy Lee Jones as always.

Make no mistake, I enjoyed it too. It's just that "Jason Bourne" shows the franchise lacks the durability and sustainability that the Bond franchise has. James Bond had some difficult, very difficult moments, when the producers had to cast a new lead in the late 1960's. "Jason Bourne" is going to that process now. And I just read production of the new 6th "Mission: Impossible" film os halted, because Paramount/Viacom can not agree with Tom Cruise on the salary.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    STAR TREK BEYOND

Some great moments,and some horrible.Like the rest, mediocre.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Birdleson are you sure you didn't watch SP again? ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    STAR TREK BEYOND

Feels a bit like STAR TREK INSURRECTION to me, like an extended episode of one of the series. I prefer the first two Abrams films to this one, though I can't say I had a bad time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spock's Brain? :P
    Donnie Darko (2001). Better on a rewatch. Overrated, yes, but still decent.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    All The Presidents Men 1976

First time in a while but still retains it's power, as thilling as the best action film. Redford & Hoffman on top form and an outstanding supporting cast. Nothing short of a masterpiece and the blue print for type time of film, The Insider, Zodiac and more recently Spotlight owe it a debt.

5/5

Sue me I loved Star Trek Beyond and thought it the best of the new films but I'm not a Trekkie so I'm not emotionally invested and I certainly aren't drawn to CGI led movies, plenty in it to entertain me outside of that and certainly considerably better than SPECTRE.
    Kiki's Delivery Service (1989). I have to admit, it's fallen in my Miyazaki ranking, but it's still good. Current ranking of Miyazaki's films:

11. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    10. Ponyo
    9. Castle in the Sky
    8. Howl's Moving Castle
    7. Kiki's Delivery Service
    6. Porco Rosso
    5. The Castle of Cagliostro
    4. The Wind Rises
    3. My Neighbor Totoro
    2. Princess Mononoke
    1. Spirited Away
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like the ones I've seen, but I must confess that they all blend together in my memory.

Too bad. They are all quite unique and great experiences for me. But at least you enjoyed them. Studio Ghibli is special.
    One of my favorite films, and definitely my favorite anime is from Studio Ghibli: directed by Isao Takahata, THE GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (1988).

Great film. That, whisper of the heart, and soon only yesteray (which I haven't watched yet) will be the non-Miyazaki-directed Ghibli films I own.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    STAR TREK: BEYOND , I can't say disappointing, because I didn't expect much, but still a let down. How did a series born of high concept and great characterization get mired in noise and endless scenes of special effects driven destruction?

Where are the moral quandaries and cerebral questions that were long the definition of Star Trek? Almost as unsettling as that any humor, warmth or affection we do feel comes from our lifelong attachment to Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly, and the history and relationships that we are merely getting echoes form here. Cheap imitations. I can't say the same about Uhuru, Chekov and Sulu as they never had a hell of a lot of depth to begin with. Only Simon Pegg's Scotty seem stop be able to find a fresh voice and interpretation of the familiar without seeming to mimic.

An utter waste of time.

Mostly agree with this. Uhura is still an improvement. Wasn t she supposed to be sexy in the old series? She certainly wasn t , but they finally got it right. Chekov has always been annoying as all Hell.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    A made for TV movie. 'Rogue Male' starring Peter O'Tool. It's available to watch on you tube & I recommend it. It's about a British aristocrats attempt to assassinate Hitler in 1939 & the subsequent man hunt.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Movie-Poster-an-affair-to-remember-14440491-1301-2000.jpg
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,692
    I just spent one of the best evenings I've ever had, by discovering 3 Roger Moore adventure films I had never seen: The Wild Geese, The Sea Wolves and Escape to Athena.

Sir Rog is a friggin God. I really enjoyed all 3 of these films, the latter two were like WW2 films made as Bond adventures with Sir Rog having tons of fun! And what a sight to see Sir Rog in nazi uniforms and a german accent still enjoying himself and bedding the attractive women that he sees. Or seeing Sir Rog in army gear with a huge cigar in his mouth while shooting some bad guys! I will never cease to be thrilled by Moore adventures, be it WW2 films, a british Expendables film or any of his Bond films!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Three great films @DaltonCraig007

Now you see me 2.
    Basically if you liked the first one, you'll like this and nice to see Tsai Chin ( YOLT, CR) in it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
    After the great Genesis Trilogy the quality of this film is lower than the previous films, Though there were a lot of behind the scenes problems from what I've gathered. This is a really fascinating entry in the series. I don't find it to be bad like the majority does. It's certainly not as good as the films that came before it but I find it strangely compelling and interesting it's own special way. It reminds me of a few Original Series episodes. In the end I think the good things of this movie outweigh the bad. I like it just fine.

Murdock's Star Trek Ranking
    Star Trek II
    Star Trek III
    Star Trek IV
    Star Trek V
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Liar Liar (1997). Among my favorite comedy films; certainly one of my favorites from Jim Carrey.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I just spent one of the best evenings I've ever had, by discovering 3 Roger Moore adventure films I had never seen: The Wild Geese, The Sea Wolves and Escape to Athena.

Sir Rog is a friggin God. I really enjoyed all 3 of these films, the latter two were like WW2 films made as Bond adventures with Sir Rog having tons of fun! And what a sight to see Sir Rog in nazi uniforms and a german accent still enjoying himself and bedding the attractive women that he sees. Or seeing Sir Rog in army gear with a huge cigar in his mouth while shooting some bad guys! I will never cease to be thrilled by Moore adventures, be it WW2 films, a british Expendables film or any of his Bond films!

I'm a fan of Lew grade films, my favourite being 'Escape To Athena'. By chance I watched 'North Sea Hijack' yesterday starring Sir Rog as Rufus Excalibur Ffolkes. It's many years since I saw it. I'm sure you will enjoy watching that one.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I have to do this soon.

They are fun adventures. Also nice to see David Niven in there. I think he and Rog were good friends.
    The fallen idol (1948)

Really thought i would love this one, ended up very dissapointed. Still a decent film though.
    The Verdict (1983)

Wonderful legal drama with top cast and script. Looks slow compared to the movies made today but its pure quality. Treats the audience as grown ups.
    The Verdict is brilliant. Great to see Newman and the great James Mason face off in court!
    A special word for Milo O' Shea as the biased Judge! David Mamet did the great script!
    I am trying to learn more about script writing so read the screenplay before watching the movie. Mamet is such a talent!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DaltonCraig007, I can't believe that you hadn't seen these three classics before.

What a great experience it must have been to enjoy Moore in his prime. In both The Wild Geese and The Sea Wolves he holds his own with absolute screen legends in Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Gregory Peck.

Moore is unfairly (imho) considered a relative lightweight in comparison to them by some, but his off the charts charm and charisma to some extent even overshadows these thespians in both films. Whenever I watch these two I can't wait for him to be on screen, because he just owns it. The same goes for Gold, where he stars with legend Ray Milland.

I've got to watch all of these again soon.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Liar Liar (1997). Among my favorite comedy films; certainly one of my favorites from Jim Carrey.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I haven't seen this film, but I'm going to buy it immediately. I agree completely & wholeheartedly with Carrey's sentiments in that clip.
    Gamera Vs. Jiger

220px-Gamera_vs_Jiger_1970.jpg

Frankly, I didn't know that a) The denizens of Easter Island were black, or b) that there was an active volcano on Easter Island either (although I learned later on - today in fact - that there are three extinct volcanoes on it). All in all, a good romp, with a monster that managed to beat the giant turtle not once, but twice. Plus a nice tribute to "Fantastic Voyage"Still, I prefer the first two movies.